Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

  1. #1
    Well, lookie here... YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    67,118
    Thanks
    19,047
    Thanked 20,506 Times in 11,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    189

    Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Was it worth it?

    Did it produce expected results, or 'good enough' payback?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

  2. Post thanked by:

    jimmifli (08-26-2019)

  3. #2
    My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    St. John, USVI
    Posts
    10,870
    Thanks
    1,399
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    40

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    He was good. If not for the injuries, which were unpredictable, he could have been a perennial All-Pro. Throwing away a season, however, in the interest of getting one player is probably not good for the team's psyche.

  4. Post thanked by:

    Skooby (08-25-2019)

  5. #3
    Skoobasaurus-Rex Skooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    18,497
    Thanks
    10,835
    Thanked 4,125 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    46

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    He was good. If not for the injuries, which were unpredictable, he could have been a perennial All-Pro. Throwing away a season, however, in the interest of getting one player is probably not good for the team's psyche.
    Just ask Peyton Manning.

  6. #4
    Skoobasaurus-Rex Skooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    18,497
    Thanks
    10,835
    Thanked 4,125 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    46

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Was it worth it?

    Did it produce expected results, or 'good enough' payback?
    He failed to bring any championships & quit early, it wasn’t worth it.

  7. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,313
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 800 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Luck took a garbage Colts team to the AFC Champ game, took that team on his back, he was the entire franchise. That team is awful without him, or rather Grigson constructed awful teams.

    Yeah, it’s ****ing worth it when the guy is a good as Luck, unfortunately the Colts did a **** job building around him, he got hit constantly, and ended up injured. Grigson is the real issue, he only drafted 3 OL before the 7th round, and they were all dog ****.

  8. Post thanked by:

    Cntrygal (08-25-2019),sahlensguy (08-25-2019)

  9. #6
    Registered User Scumbag College's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Top shelf where Mama hides the cookies
    Posts
    4,827
    Thanks
    611
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 676 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    28

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    I don't think that the Colts intentionally "Sucked for Luck" (sounds like a porno title) but it was just a product of not having Peyton Manning the entire year before Luck was drafted. The Colts picked Luck because they had the first pick and their 30+ year old Franchise QB missed an entire season with a neck injury that put his career in serious doubt...I think it would be GM malpractice to not take Luck in that set of circumstances.
    Last edited by Scumbag College; 08-25-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

    Vote Nader in 2008!

    http://www.votenader.org/

  10. Post thanked by:

    Mace (08-25-2019)

  11. #7
    Unreachable Douche
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    60,794
    Thanks
    5,219
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,739 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    153

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Was it worth it?

    Did it produce expected results, or 'good enough' payback?
    It was worth it at the time because they weren’t making the playoffs anyways.

    Who knew he’d be a quitter?

    Didn’t he go to school with Jonathan Martin?
    Draft a franchise QB that X-Era would be proud to put in his user name for the next 13 years.

  12. #8
    Unreachable Douche
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    60,794
    Thanks
    5,219
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,739 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    153

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post

    Yeah, it’s ****ing worth it when the guy is a good as Luck, unfortunately the Colts did a **** job building around him, he got hit constantly, and ended up injured. Grigson is the real issue, he only drafted 3 OL before the 7th round, and they were all dog ****.
    2018:

    Round 1: (6) Quentin Nelson G
    Round 2: (37) Braden Smith G

    2017

    Round 4: (137) Zach Banner T

    2016

    Round 1: (18) Ryan Kelly C
    Round 3: (82) Le’Raven Clark T
    Round 5: (155) Joe Haeg T
    ROUND 7248) Austin Blythe C

    2015

    Round 7: (255) Danezelle Good T

    2014

    Round 2: (59) Jack Mewhort T
    Round 7: (232) John Ulrick T

    2013

    Round 3: (86) Hugh Thornton G
    Round 4: (121) Khaled Holmes C

    They drafted 6 linemen in the top 3 rounds since Luck was drafted. In comparison the Bills have drafted 4, the Pats 4, Rams 5, Cowboys 4, the Packers 2 and 1 was this past year.

  13. Post thanked by:

    Oaf (08-26-2019)

  14. #9
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,238
    Thanks
    8,935
    Thanked 16,613 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    240

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Think about it this way: remember all those years before Manning when the Colts were in our division? They never had a good QB. In 2012, the Bills, Dolphins and Broncos still hadn’t found QB’s to replace Kelly/Marino/Elway. NE only replaced Bledsoe cuz they got lucky with Brady in the 6th round. Teams like the Jets and Bears never had a good QB in my lifetime.

    Good QB’s are hard to come by.

    Manning goes down for the season and you don’t know if he’s ever gonna come back. You aren’t making the playoffs without Manning anyway and you know Luck is going to be the first one off the board in April.

    Short term, it sucks for the players and the fans to tank a season. Long term, it makes sense. They got several seasons of high level QB play and it’s hard to see how they would have found someone equal or better if they didn’t get Luck.

  15. Post thanked by:

    Haile SpikedLemonade (08-25-2019),Skooby (08-26-2019)

  16. #10
    Registered User Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7,507
    Thanks
    314
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    35

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag College View Post
    I don't think that the Colts intentionally "Sucked for Luck" (sounds like a porno title) but it was just a product of not having Peyton Manning the entire year before Luck was drafted. The Colts picked Luck because they had the first pick and their 30+ year old Franchise QB missed an entire season with a neck injury that put his career in serious doubt...I think it would be GM malpractice to not take Luck in that set of circumstances.
    Yeah it definitely wasn't intentional. The Colts had no plans to suck for a new QB. They were so dependent on Manning to have any kind of success that they were completely unprepared to play a whole season without him. He masked how weak their roster was and their backup QBs were garbage.

    It still made sense for them to draft him at the time, but what really sucks now for Colts fans in retrospect is that they missed out on Manning's last four seasons in which he set records, went to two superbowls, and won one in his last season. It was really hard for Indy fans to say goodbye to Manning, but what made it palatable was the idea that they were getting one of the best QB prospects ever that had the chance to be really special for a long time. But instead they just get a few extra injury plagued seasons after Manning retires and no championships. That's probably the worst part for them in all of this, is that they didn't get to see Manning finish out his career in Indy where he was the greatest and most popular sports figure ever.

  17. Post thanked by:

    Mace (08-25-2019),sahlensguy (08-25-2019)

  18. #11
    Registered User feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10,900
    Thanks
    2,125
    Thanked 6,337 Times in 3,691 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    37

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    The colts didn't suck for Luck.

  19. Post thanked by:

    Mace (08-25-2019)

  20. #12
    Registered User Swiper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sparing my telomeres
    Posts
    21,503
    Thanks
    9,838
    Thanked 9,093 Times in 6,133 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    55

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Was it worth it?

    Did it produce expected results, or 'good enough' payback?
    Shoulda been "Luck sucks." Would have been more accurate.
    Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

  21. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 386 Times in 227 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    14

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag College View Post
    I don't think that the Colts intentionally "Sucked for Luck" (sounds like a porno title) but it was just a product of not having Peyton Manning the entire year before Luck was drafted. The Colts picked Luck because they had the first pick and their 30+ year old Franchise QB missed an entire season with a neck injury that put his career in serious doubt...I think it would be GM malpractice to not take Luck in that set of circumstances.
    stop

    they tanked don't be naive

  22. #14
    The Victimizer CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39,137
    Thanks
    9,441
    Thanked 19,659 Times in 11,982 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    102

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    The guy that sucked for Luck was Ryan Grigson, the douchebag behind Deflategate.

    Too bad the Colts already fired him.
    boisterous hubris, arrogance, self deception, conspiracy, mud slinging mixed with a heavy dose of self righteousness.

  23. Post thanked by:

    Mace (08-25-2019)

  24. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,313
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 800 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    2018:

    Round 1: (6) Quentin Nelson G
    Round 2: (37) Braden Smith G

    2017

    Round 4: (137) Zach Banner T

    2016

    Round 1: (18) Ryan Kelly C
    Round 3: (82) Le’Raven Clark T
    Round 5: (155) Joe Haeg T
    ROUND 7248) Austin Blythe C

    2015

    Round 7: (255) Danezelle Good T

    2014

    Round 2: (59) Jack Mewhort T
    Round 7: (232) John Ulrick T

    2013

    Round 3: (86) Hugh Thornton G
    Round 4: (121) Khaled Holmes C

    They drafted 6 linemen in the top 3 rounds since Luck was drafted. In comparison the Bills have drafted 4, the Pats 4, Rams 5, Cowboys 4, the Packers 2 and 1 was this past year.
    I thought Grigson got ****canned after 2015, but they kept that idiot around. Regardless, he drafted **** OL the first 3 seasons Luck was in the league, Luck missed 9 games in 2015, and even though Grigson tried to patch it up in 2016, Luck got wrecked, played the entire year hurt and had to miss all of 2016. Grigson was a trash GM who tried to protect the best QB prospect in the last decade with 7th rounders. Only after Luck was in his 5th year did that moron get wise to the fact that Luck was getting blasted each and every game, and he had to protect him. Gross negligence.

  25. #16
    Registered User Bill Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7,844
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked 3,542 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Guess they’ll really have to pipe in crowd noise now

  26. #17
    Zone's most cruel & vile 2016 Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    14,055
    Thanks
    16,327
    Thanked 11,629 Times in 6,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    38

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Like others, I don't think they did it on purpose. It was all about Manning, long term backup was Curtis Painter, only one who was going to run that offense was Manning so it had to crash. They couldn't put an o-line together, couldn't put a good defense together to take pressure off. It's ironic they finally got a an o-line and defense together and Luck retires.

    Was it worth it taking Luck ? Manning went on to have 3 more high level years and one fading one. Those were the years Luck was feasting on a weak division, Manning could have done that too. Manning's last season was 2015, Super Bowl because there was a team around him. Indy went 8-8 in 2015, and wouldn't break .500 again until 2018. From 2015 to 2017. Luck would only play 22 games out of 48.

    You'd think, a competent organization would have built a team around the gem. They couldn't. Arguably, Manning and his quick release would have served them better, maybe even let Manning linger another year in his career. After the scare in 2012, you do like New England, get QB's comparable to your system. Like who ? Cousins in 2012, even Luck if you're ballsy enough to sit the no. 1 pick a few years behind Manning. He's still on his rookie contract, Manning fades and you have a fresh Luck in 2015 with a bunch more smarts and savvy....also in 2012, Foles ? 2013, slim pickings...Barkely ? Looks like he's a guy needs time and a system.....2014....Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo ?

    What if you trade the pick for Luck and build a real defense or manage to get the right OL ?

    I don't really see how it was worth it the way they did it. Should have been one way or another.

    I always think Luck is a good not great QB, might well have been great elsewhere, we'll never know. Was financially ok for him, not not football worth it for his career it seems.

    I think I feel bad for Indy and their fans because it finally looked like they have a good ol and defense. I feel bad for Luck because he can't enjoy it. Irsay made the bed though.
    • "Dems have no achomlishments" - The President of the United States of America, that some people elected and defend. He says he's a stable genius by the way and some people still think so.


    Is Mr. Pink the one to bring me down ? Is Peterman on an NFL roster in 12/2019 ? What avatar do I choose for Mr. Pink ? Stay tuned, it's hugely !

  27. #18
    Registered User Night Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Last Depot
    Posts
    24,241
    Thanks
    5,055
    Thanked 8,710 Times in 4,377 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    95

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    I envision the Colts thinking he would have started far more games for his career, in relation to the $ paid out.

    Too many injuries and a short career.
    "When I'm with you girl I get an extension.. and I don't mean Alexander Graham Bell's invention."


  28. #19
    Registered User Bill Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7,844
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked 3,542 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Like others, I don't think they did it on purpose. It was all about Manning, long term backup was Curtis Painter, only one who was going to run that offense was Manning so it had to crash. They couldn't put an o-line together, couldn't put a good defense together to take pressure off. It's ironic they finally got a an o-line and defense together and Luck retires.

    Was it worth it taking Luck ? Manning went on to have 3 more high level years and one fading one. Those were the years Luck was feasting on a weak division, Manning could have done that too. Manning's last season was 2015, Super Bowl because there was a team around him. Indy went 8-8 in 2015, and wouldn't break .500 again until 2018. From 2015 to 2017. Luck would only play 22 games out of 48.

    You'd think, a competent organization would have built a team around the gem. They couldn't. Arguably, Manning and his quick release would have served them better, maybe even let Manning linger another year in his career. After the scare in 2012, you do like New England, get QB's comparable to your system. Like who ? Cousins in 2012, even Luck if you're ballsy enough to sit the no. 1 pick a few years behind Manning. He's still on his rookie contract, Manning fades and you have a fresh Luck in 2015 with a bunch more smarts and savvy....also in 2012, Foles ? 2013, slim pickings...Barkely ? Looks like he's a guy needs time and a system.....2014....Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo ?

    What if you trade the pick for Luck and build a real defense or manage to get the right OL ?

    I don't really see how it was worth it the way they did it. Should have been one way or another.

    I always think Luck is a good not great QB, might well have been great elsewhere, we'll never know. Was financially ok for him, not not football worth it for his career it seems.

    I think I feel bad for Indy and their fans because it finally looked like they have a good ol and defense. I feel bad for Luck because he can't enjoy it. Irsay made the bed though.
    It was also hard for the Colts to build around Manning because the guy needed to get every last dollar he could in salary. I would argue if Manning been as focused on winning as Brady he might have had several more rings

  29. #20
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,238
    Thanks
    8,935
    Thanked 16,613 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    240

    Re: Franchise QBs, "Suck for Luck"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Like others, I don't think they did it on purpose. It was all about Manning, long term backup was Curtis Painter, only one who was going to run that offense was Manning so it had to crash. They couldn't put an o-line together, couldn't put a good defense together to take pressure off. It's ironic they finally got a an o-line and defense together and Luck retires.

    Was it worth it taking Luck ? Manning went on to have 3 more high level years and one fading one. Those were the years Luck was feasting on a weak division, Manning could have done that too. Manning's last season was 2015, Super Bowl because there was a team around him. Indy went 8-8 in 2015, and wouldn't break .500 again until 2018. From 2015 to 2017. Luck would only play 22 games out of 48.

    You'd think, a competent organization would have built a team around the gem. They couldn't. Arguably, Manning and his quick release would have served them better, maybe even let Manning linger another year in his career. After the scare in 2012, you do like New England, get QB's comparable to your system. Like who ? Cousins in 2012, even Luck if you're ballsy enough to sit the no. 1 pick a few years behind Manning. He's still on his rookie contract, Manning fades and you have a fresh Luck in 2015 with a bunch more smarts and savvy....also in 2012, Foles ? 2013, slim pickings...Barkely ? Looks like he's a guy needs time and a system.....2014....Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo ?

    What if you trade the pick for Luck and build a real defense or manage to get the right OL ?

    I don't really see how it was worth it the way they did it. Should have been one way or another.

    I always think Luck is a good not great QB, might well have been great elsewhere, we'll never know. Was financially ok for him, not not football worth it for his career it seems.

    I think I feel bad for Indy and their fans because it finally looked like they have a good ol and defense. I feel bad for Luck because he can't enjoy it. Irsay made the bed though.
    This is true, but at the time they selected Luck, there was a strong possibility that Manning would never play again, period. With the benefit of hindsight, you could make an argument that ditching Manning for Luck didn't make the most sense, but they didn't know a) if Manning would play again, b) that Luck would have so many injuries and c) that Luck would retire young. So I can fully understand why they made the choice that they did at the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •