Thread: PFT: NFLPA looking into Cowboys’ direct dealing with players

Thanks
    Thanked 9,204 Times in 6,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

PFT: NFLPA looking into Cowboys’ direct dealing with players

WTF? No team in the league can be happy about this. Separate rules for different groups of people?

NFLPA looking into Cowboys’ direct dealing with players

On Wednesday, NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo pointed out a dynamic that the Dallas Cowboys haven’t tried all that hard to hide: Their propensity for cutting out the middleman and dealing directly with players who are represented by agents.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL Players Association views the situation as “not good,” and currently is doing its due diligence before taking any official action and/or issuing any formal statement.

It won’t be hard for the union to piece together evidence. On Wednesday, owner Jerry Jones essentially confessed to 105.3 the Fan in Dallas that the Cowboys like to cut out the middleman whenever and however they can.

“[T]hat’s always been the issue with me and my approach to managing the Cowboys,” Jerry Jones said, via Jon Machota of TheAthletic.com. “When you cut out the people in between the money and the player, we all know that agents, attorneys have their agenda. By the way, they are all taking money out of the pie too when they’re there. The straighter it goes from the source to the one receiving it, nine times out of 10 that’s more efficient.”

Ten times out of 10 that’s better for the team, which would love to be able to run roughshod over players who don’t have agents protecting their interests. And it surely seems as if the Cowboys routinely go straight to the player to get deals done.
    Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

Thanks
    Thanked 16,865 Times in 8,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: PFT: NFLPA looking into Cowboys’ direct dealing with players

Is it against any written rules to do this?

It's a shady thing to do, as players don't understand the money side of things as well as the agents do, and it's certainly not in the players' interest. But if it's not against the rules, I don't know if anything can be done about it.

3. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (08-30-2019)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 837 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Angry Re: PFT: NFLPA looking into Cowboys’ direct dealing with players

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Is it against any written rules to do this?.
    Nope.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website