Registered User SupremeParentHater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: DON'T get FAT

Thanks
    Thanked 10,951 Times in 7,465 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Does fat shaming help people lose weight?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49714697

3. Post thanked by:

SupremeParentHater (09-17-2019)

The Victimizer CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,751 Times in 12,055 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bellowing4DaBills View Post
    The first part of the video is also significant in that such a motivated guy has lost and regained weight plus more over and over again. As I’ve pointed out, it is the maintenance of the weight loss that is the difficult part.

And fast forward three years from the end of the video, his latest videos show him no longer ripped and gaining weight back. And another three to five years down the road, there is a high probability he will be back to where he started despite his obvious determination and extreme efforts.

Look, permanent weight loss can be accomplished by the obese but the numbers show it is extremely difficult. And no, I don't think people should give up trying or accept being fat because obesity does greatly increase the risk factors for death and sickness. The science and understanding of obesity requires more rigourous investigation. What we have been trying to resolve it has not been working.
    I'm not saying it's not difficult. Just pointing out it is possible to lose the weight.

Keeping it off is a different matter.
    boisterous hubris, arrogance, self deception, conspiracy, mud slinging mixed with a heavy dose of self righteousness.

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,131 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    Does fat shaming help people lose weight?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49714697
    I dunno.

What do you think caused the decline in cigarette smoking in the U.S.?

Patti

6. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-18-2019),Homegrown (09-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,847 Times in 8,287 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In related news, you can now get a donut and fried chicken sandwich:

https://www.businessinsider.com/kfc-...-donuts-2019-9

Because it's not enough to eat either donuts or fried chicken- we have to keep finding new ways to cram as many different types of unhealthy foods into our mouths AT THE EXACT SAME TIME.

'Murca!

8. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-18-2019),Homegrown (09-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,130 Times in 9,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    In related news, you can now get a donut and fried chicken sandwich:

https://www.businessinsider.com/kfc-...-donuts-2019-9

Because it's not enough to eat either donuts or fried chicken- we have to keep finding new ways to cram as many different types of unhealthy foods into our mouths AT THE EXACT SAME TIME.

'Murca!
    Is that not a choice for the consumer to make and later for the business to make based on the profitability/loss of the new product?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Is that not a choice for the consumer to make and later for the business to make based on the profitability/loss of the new product?
    Oh I’m not saying that it should be illegal. I’m saying that we should be smart enough that this shouldn’t exist.

Businesses should find a way to be profitable with products less detrimental to the consumer’s health, and consumers should be smart enough to know that there’s no reason for such an abomination to exist and stay away from it (which would cause the businesses to stop selling it).

But neither of those two things will happen because as a society, we are not smart.

Registered User Bellowing4DaBills's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

An article from yesterday's NY Times, this is the big problem with the food industry...

A Shadowy Industry Group Shapes Food Policy Around the World

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/16/h...zil-china.html

When the Indian government bowed to powerful food companies last year and postponed its decision to put red warning labels on unhealthy packaged food, officials also sought to placate critics of the delay by creating an expert panel to review the proposed labeling system, which would have gone far beyond what other countries have done in the battle to combat soaring obesity rates.

But the man chosen to head the three-person committee, Dr. Boindala Sesikeran, a veteran nutritionist and former adviser to Nestle, only further enraged health advocates.

That’s because Dr. Sesikeran is a trustee of the International Life Sciences Institute, an American nonprofit with an innocuous sounding name that has been quietly infiltrating government health and nutrition bodies around the world.

Created four decades ago by a top Coca-Cola executive, the institute now has branches in 17 countries. It is almost entirely funded by Goliaths of the agribusiness, food and pharmaceutical industries.

The organization, which championed tobacco interests during the 1980s and 1990s in Europe and the United States, has more recently expanded its activities in Asia and Latin America, regions that provide a growing share of food company profits. It has been especially active in China, India and Brazil, the world’s first, second and sixth most populous nations...

... As it expands across the globe, ILSI is drawing unflattering attention. Over the past year, researchers have documented how the organization’s China affiliate helped shape anti-obesity education campaigns that stressed physical activity over dietary changes, a strategy long espoused by Coca-Cola that critics say was designed to protect corporate profits.

In Beijing, relations between ILSI and the government are so intertwined that ILSI’s top leaders double as senior officials at China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Through freedom of information requests, authors of a recent study in the United States obtained emails between ILSI trustees, its corporate members and the group’s allies in academia urging them to step up their fight against the W.H.O.’s increasingly tough stance on sugar...
    Last edited by Bellowing4DaBills; 09-17-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    The Bills Make Me Wanna Below

12. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (09-17-2019),Historian (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,130 Times in 9,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Oh I’m not saying that it should be illegal. I’m saying that we should be smart enough that this shouldn’t exist.

Businesses should find a way to be profitable with products less detrimental to the consumer’s health, and consumers should be smart enough to know that there’s no reason for such an abomination to exist and stay away from it (which would cause the businesses to stop selling it).

But neither of those two things will happen because as a society, we are not smart.
    So basically you don't like it, but this is the consumer and business decision that will be made about if this will exist or not.

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,803 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Its a lack of discipline.

Registered User SupremeParentHater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Its a lack of discipline.
    Worldwide obesity rates have tripled since 1975. So humans millenia after millenia were disciplined except for the last couple generations? I don't think so.

And although fat parents are more likely to have fat children, it is not genetics either since this rise occurred so substantially and quickly.

17. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-18-2019)

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,803 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bellowing4DaBills View Post
    Worldwide obesity rates have tripled since 1975. So humans millenia after millenia were disciplined except for the last couple generations? I don't think so.

And although fat parents are more likely to have fat children, it is not genetics either since this rise occurred so substantially and quickly.
    Damn near everything in life comes down to discipline.

Is garbage food readily available, It sure is, It takes discipline to leave it alone or consume it in moderation.

Trying to eat your way out of sadness is a lack of discipline.

19. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-18-2019),Lucidvizion (09-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Everything I've ever worked on in my life gets better. Sure, I am not a kickboxing champion or a tech billionaire... but that's because I've never tried. Even when you fail you learn something and become a better person for it. If you work on it, it will get better. Doesn't matter what it is.
    Art has no rules.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    So basically you don't like it, but this is the consumer and business decision that will be made about if this will exist or not.
    You don't seem to be getting me. If we were smart, this never would have gotten past a brainstorming session. There are no bad ideas in brainstorming, but the next step is to analyze those ideas. If anyone had any sense, they would have said, "We're KFC- we're not exactly a health food company, but this is over the top even for us." Somehow, it cleared that hurdle, got to corporate chefs who made samples, got through approval from higher-ups, got through focus groups, and now it's a product being test marketed. And they're creating buzz by the limited rollout- people always want what they can''t have. And someone had to figure out if KFC could get their hands on enough donuts to market this nationally if it comes to that- there are literally so many points at which this could have- and should have- been shut down, but it wasn't.

This isn't about what I like. Eating this abomination is objectively bad. People are going to eating 3 days worth of saturated fat and sugar before they're even awake long enough to take their morning dump. And for what? The only nutritional value is some protein, but I'm hard-pressed to come up with a less healthy way to ingest protein.

22. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,835 Times in 4,142 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd order 2 donut and fried chicken sandwiches and wash it down with a large chocolate shake if it was available here.

Of course, after having it once the novelty of it would be gone and I'd probably never order it again.

The Erie County Fair had fried donut burgers a few years back and that ish was delish. I'd never have it again though.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Is garbage food readily available, It sure is, It takes discipline to leave it alone or consume it in moderation.

You think you got more discipline than Oprah? That guy in Shiva’s video is full of discipline but he’s yo-yoing too. The cure we are prescribing for the obese is failing for the vast majority. The obese are highly motivated to lose weight but most fail. This goes beyond discipline. See my earlier post #53 in the thread.

The food environment we have created is obesogenic. We must be smarter and change the environment that is causing this failure. One is to limit refined sugar in infant formula. This has been priming toddlers’ affinity for sweetness that has promoted obesity in their later years. Again, this goes beyond self-discipline.

The shaming and knuckle-brain, self-help guru mentality is not helping. 99.9% of us not will not be a theoretical physicist no matter how hard we try.

25. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (09-18-2019)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,369 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is an addiction mechanism that requires more than individual will to break. The only effective solution is prevention. If you throw a rookie QB into a game behind a porous o-line, bad receivers and facing a top five defense, you are setting him up to fail. If you take a kid, surround him with Twinkies, pop, chips, and fried chicken, what other expectations can we have? Have you seen what foods are advertised during kids shows? We have to fundamentally change how we view nutrition if we want to truly address the problem (yes, it's a problem) of obesity.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    There is an addiction mechanism that requires more than individual will to break. The only effective solution is prevention. If you throw a rookie QB into a game behind a porous o-line, bad receivers and facing a top five defense, you are setting him up to fail. If you take a kid, surround him with Twinkies, pop, chips, and fried chicken, what other expectations can we have? Have you seen what foods are advertised during kids shows? We have to fundamentally change how we view nutrition if we want to truly address the problem (yes, it's a problem) of obesity.
    What? Obesity's not a problem.

It's what makes our fast food chains and commercial bakeries and soft drink companies so very, very profitable.

When people get fat, they often want to lose weight, which fuels the weight loss and fitness industries.

When they fail to lose weight, or get hurt exercising because they're out of shape, or get depressed because of body shaming and poor self-esteem, it fuels the medical industry, which treats these people using drugs from the pharmaceutical industry.

How could anything that profitable be a problem?

28. Post thanked by:

Lucidvizion (09-18-2019),ParanoidAndroid (09-18-2019)

One Now
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are a lot of factors that can influence if a person has a healthy weight or not:

(1) Environmental Factors -- things that have been mentioned like availability of healthy food, knowledge/habits of cooking healthy meals, advertising, etc.

(2) Emotional/Psychological Factors ( many people turn to food for comfort -- or a way to distance themselves physically -- after traumatic experiences, sexual abuse as a child, etc.)

(3) Learned Behaviors/Habits/Addictions ( conditioned to respond a certain way or have a certain relationship with food from a young child )

(4) Convenience / The Pleasure Trap ("foods" designed to trigger pleasure response at optimal levels)

(5) Education on Food (or lack thereof)

(6) Coping Strategies

(7) Genetic Factors ( how efficient does a body use calories? the more efficient the more potential calories are left over when one eats something ) -- Two people -- same activity levels, etc. -- can eat the same food having the same calories, but one person uses all the calories, and the other person -- due to their efficient genetics -- has a lot of calories left over. I believe they may have identified a gene for this???

(8) Gut Bacteria -- interesting case where a mother was not overweight, but her adult daughter was. Mother had a "fecal transplate to treat her recurring superbug infection and then experienced rapid weight gain. Researchers found that transferring gut bacteria from obese mice to those with normal weight leads to fat increase. They also recommended opting for stool donors without weight problems for fecal transplant."

(9) Body Set Point -- after reaching a certain weight one's body can fight like hell to maintain that set point. Many people have to exercise 3 times a day for an hour or more to maintain a new weight after being morbidly obese.

Others I forgot? =p
    Last edited by Kaziganth; 09-18-2019 at 03:44 PM.

30. Post thanked by:

Lucidvizion (09-18-2019)