Thread: WNY Chocolate Company makes biggest spounge candy EVER! take that Hershey

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

WNY Chocolate Company makes biggest spounge candy EVER! take that Hershey

If you haven't ever had Fowlers chocolate then you aren't a Buffalonian

Thanks
    Thanked 20,784 Times in 11,627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: WNY Chocolate Company makes biggest spounge candy EVER! take that Hershey

You're not a real WNYer if you don't know Fowler's real claim to local fame is.....
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 16,866 Times in 8,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For those of you who are lifelong WNYers, I hope you understand that the three most WNY things are garbage plates, white hots and sponge candy. They literally don’t exist outside of WNY (although you can get Zweigles and Sahlens if you’re lucky enough to live near a Wegmans).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 3,559 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    You're not a real WNYer if you don't know Fowler's real claim to local fame is.....

Taffey?

5. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 3,559 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    For those of you who are lifelong WNYers, I hope you understand that the three most WNY things are garbage plates, white hots and sponge candy. They literally don’t exist outside of WNY (although you can get Zweigles and Sahlens if you’re lucky enough to live near a Wegmans).

Beef on weck. I can get it at the local Bills bar in FL but anyone else looks at you like WTF is a beef on weck.

7. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-11-2019),Swiper (10-13-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Beef on weck. I can get it at the local Bills bar in FL but anyone else looks at you like WTF is a beef on weck.
    Good call. There’s a regional chain in this area called Glory Days that has one but it’s not that good. Wegmans has the rolls and you can do the beef yourself.

But, if you talk about weck, plates, white hots or sponge candy to people who aren’t from WNY, it’s like you’re speaking a different language.

9. Post thanked by:

Novacane (10-12-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Another one: salt potatoes.

I have a college friend who lives nearby here in Baltimore. He worked in Wegmans produce back in HS and college. The Wegmans here stopped selling the bags of salt potatoes so my friend contacted the produce manager. The manager told my friend that he refuses to order them because a) no one knew what they were so they would spoil before they would sell and b) several people complained because they thought the bags of salt were people trying to smuggle drugs in the potatoes.

I really wish I was kidding. I really wish people were smart enough to know that the granular white stuff in a bag that says “SALT potatoes” is salt. But unfortunately they are not.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,850 Times in 2,366 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Those of us from North Tonawanda would never buy Fowler’s and if you don’t know why then you suck.

12. Post thanked by:

Swiper (10-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,206 Times in 6,210 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ummm, no.
    Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

Thanks
    Thanked 3,850 Times in 2,366 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good call. There’s a regional chain in this area called Glory Days that has one but it’s not that good. Wegmans has the rolls and you can do the beef yourself.

But, if you talk about weck, plates, white hots or sponge candy to people who aren’t from WNY, it’s like you’re speaking a different language.
    what is a plate?

15. Post thanked by:

Swiper (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    what is a plate?
    A garbage plate from Nick Tahou’s. More a Rochester thing but you can get them in Buffalo.