Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 366

Thread: Americans becoming less Christian

  1. #141
    Well, lookie here... YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    67,773
    Thanks
    19,537
    Thanked 20,996 Times in 11,743 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    190

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidvizion View Post
    if that's how science worked we'd still be banging rocks together to make tools. The Wright brothers didn't have to reinvent Newtonian Mechanics to make the first airplane.

    I'd also like to know how religions have evolved alongside science. Let's narrow the scope shall we? How has Christianity evolved since the Age of Reason/Enlightenment (circa 18th century onward)? If you give any response here that isn't a non-answer I might be able to take you seriously.
    Oh, and just for the sake of clarification, when I suggest 'doing more research yourself' it isn't within the context of actually getting out the beakers and bunson burners on the kitchen stove. Just making an effort to look at the actual data if available.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,814
    Thanks
    8,690
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 3,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    37

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    BTW...the most reliable group of people toward Trump (99% approval) conservative from white Christian Evangelicals.

    That explains the totally corruption and ridiculous lack of seriousness, truthfulness, sincerity and credibility of that religion.

    Thankfully, these jerks are shrinking and become less relevant as every day goes by. Here is a great opinion piece from conservative Jennifer Rubin

    There’s trouble for Trump and the GOP’s future


    First, Trump (along with those who espouse his brand of right-wing nativism and know-nothingism) is hugely dependent on the overwhelming support of white evangelicals, but in doubling and tripling down on positions and conduct that pleases this core part of his base, he winds up turning off more of the electorate.

    Second, that makes evangelicals out of step with the majority of Americans on everything from immigration to climate change to impeachment to beliefs about gender and race. If they feel like a minority on issues ranging from gender to climate change, they are. Their burning resentment toward “elites” masks a more fundamental alienation from a majority of allAmericans.

    Third, Trump and the GOP’s hyper-dependence on white evangelicals is an electoral problem, given the declining number of white evangelicals who are aging and seeing significant drop off among millennials. Each election it becomes harder to win outside deep red environs.

    In sum, we may be “two Americas,” but they are not equal. Trump and Republicans’ segment is smaller than the rest and is shrinking over time. Republicans are playing a losing hand as the electorate as a whole becomes more diverse and identifies with progressives on policy and cultural issues. It turns out, math matters.

    Every single white Evangelist (or at least 99%) that are Trump cult members (agin...99% of them) are the biggest hypocrites and unprincipled and repugnant hacks in today's world and are a tue danger to our society and our way of government.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    You can't be taken seriously anymore on this topic. Sorry.
    :rofl; I was thinking exactly the same thing about you.

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,814
    Thanks
    8,690
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 3,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    37

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Where is that "observable evidence" of an afterlife"?!?!?! Please. Weak mindedness looks silly.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    3,369
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 785 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    First, I would ask why it is necessary to narrow the scope. Usually that is a clear indication that the person feels it's necessary in order to help support their stance.

    Contrary to what you may believe I was trying to make it easier for you by selecting a religion more relevant to our contemporary culture and in a time period that is well documented.

    If you have something else you want to reference I won't give you a hard time about it.

    Second, I will toss out Liberal Christianity reshaping Protestantism as an example of religious evolution within the time frame given.
    Fair answer. I don't necessarily agree that religion and science are as intertwined as you say. It's a one-way street. Scientific discovery forced Christianity to adapt (evolve). I can't think of any examples of it happening the other way around.
    The silence between the notes.

  5. Post thanked by:

    YardRat (10-21-2019)

  6. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    3,369
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 785 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Where is that "observable evidence" of an afterlife"?!?!?! Please. Weak mindedness looks silly.
    Some would posit that near death experiences and entheogenic psychedelic("mystical") experiences are evidence much along the same lines that there is no way to prove you or I are having our own subjective experience. Right now the proof is nothing more than a shared agreement.

    Science as we know it does have boundaries that it cannot cross.

  7. Post thanked by:

    notacon (10-21-2019),YardRat (10-21-2019)

  8. #146
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,921
    Thanks
    9,186
    Thanked 17,125 Times in 8,449 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidvizion View Post
    Some would posit that near death experiences and entheogenic psychedelic("mystical") experiences are evidence much along the same lines that there is no way to prove you or I are having our own subjective experience. Right now the proof is nothing more than a shared agreement.

    Science as we know it does have boundaries that it cannot cross.
    But isn't that the intrinsic difference between science and religion? Scientists believe what can be proven. If something is theoretically possible, then scientists will believe in the possibility until it's either proven or disproven. For example, the Higgs Bosun particle was theorized about for decades before it was finally proven to exist a few years ago.

    Religion never works to test their beliefs. They don't look for historical evidence of Jesus or scientific proof of the afterlife. It's what they believe, so why bother trying to prove or disprove? In fact, most religions consider looking for proof as an action that shows a lack of faith.

  9. Post thanked by:

    Lucidvizion (10-21-2019),notacon (10-21-2019),senseofdoom (10-21-2019)

  10. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    3,369
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 785 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    But isn't that the intrinsic difference between science and religion? Scientists believe what can be proven. If something is theoretically possible, then scientists will believe in the possibility until it's either proven or disproven. For example, the Higgs Bosun particle was theorized about for decades before it was finally proven to exist a few years ago.
    Yes but I would challenge your use of the word belief here. With the Higgs particle as well as current mysteries like dark matter and energy, the math and observations lead up to the theory: "there is something else here, but we can't see it yet".

  11. Post thanked by:

    YardRat (10-21-2019)

  12. #148
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    59,767
    Thanks
    2,288
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    228

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    No, the Bible didn’t. Christians did. The only reason they were concerned about having a kid out of wedlock is Christian attitudes about it. The only reason that gay guy married a woman is Christian attitudes about sexuality.
    so they did not listen to Christians when they were told not to have premarital sex and now you are blaming Christians because they finally decided to listen to them later . Oh my

  13. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,814
    Thanks
    8,690
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 3,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    37

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidvizion View Post
    Some would posit that near death experiences and entheogenic psychedelic("mystical") experiences are evidence much along the same lines that there is no way to prove you or I are having our own subjective experience. Right now the proof is nothing more than a shared agreement.

    Science as we know it does have boundaries that it cannot cross.
    Yeah...they (near death experience) may do that....but, it's simply the result of one's own brain. Dreams are testament to how powerful the mind can be in formulating images. And those "near death" experiences are just that...NEAR death. And, no, having one's heart fail for a few minutes does not count.

    BUT, that requires a functioning brain. Once the brain ceases to function...you are dead. Not ever coming back, and there is no evidence of an "afterlife". Certainly not enough proof to sustain such sometimes destructive religious beliefs....and the effort to impose those faith (read: NOTHING) based religions on whole societies.

  14. Post thanked by:

    Lucidvizion (10-21-2019)

  15. #150
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,921
    Thanks
    9,186
    Thanked 17,125 Times in 8,449 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    so they did not listen to Christians when they were told not to have premarital sex and now you are blaming Christians because they finally decided to listen to them later . Oh my
    No, I am blaming Christians for judging people who have premarital sex and/or kids out of wedlock. There is nothing wrong with either of those things. They felt like they were judged by Christians for having sex out of wedlock and would be judged further by Christians for having a kid out of wedlock, so they made a decision to get married because of pressure put on them by the Christians in their lives.

  16. Post thanked by:

    notacon (10-21-2019)

  17. #151
    Avenatti food tester JackJoeJimJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Farty-Pus
    Posts
    6,424
    Thanks
    2,433
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    21

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Fair enough. I have not studied Buddhism, nor The Zen, or the Tao.

    But, don't they all preach the existence of a "afterlife"?

    There is NO "afterlife"...,.THAT is the weak-minded part. When a living thing dies....as in brain waves cease to function...that means that that living thing is no longer "living" and that's that.
    Buddhism does not. There certainly is such a thing as religious Buddhism and there are western misinterpretations of reincarnation. But, "all things must pass." As far as Buddhism goes, there isn't anything thought to be eternal. You might look at how Sam Harris, noted Atheist, views Buddhism.

  18. Post thanked by:

    notacon (10-21-2019),YardRat (10-21-2019)

  19. #152
    Avenatti food tester JackJoeJimJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Farty-Pus
    Posts
    6,424
    Thanks
    2,433
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    21

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Because that 6.5 billion is the equivalent of 'religious'.

    I'll re-iterate...if the intent is to restrict the comment to western religions only than it should be stated as such.
    It was. He said that. Not which.

  20. #153
    Avenatti food tester JackJoeJimJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Farty-Pus
    Posts
    6,424
    Thanks
    2,433
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    21

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    You're starting to catch on.
    I don't think I am. You're now saying there is no philosophical difference?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I can only lead you to water. If you can't figure out how to drink it, that is neither my or the stream's fault.
    Going Shiva when cornered ....

  21. #154
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    59,767
    Thanks
    2,288
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    228

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    I am Christian.

    I have not problems with Christians.

    I do have a problem when Christians shoving their faith down non-believers throats and pressuring their government to legislate their beliefs.
    "
    How do you feel about people using legislation to force Christians to practice their faith hey they want them to?

  22. #155
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    59,767
    Thanks
    2,288
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    228

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    No, I am blaming Christians for judging people who have premarital sex and/or kids out of wedlock. There is nothing wrong with either of those things. They felt like they were judged by Christians for having sex out of wedlock and would be judged further by Christians for having a kid out of wedlock, so they made a decision to get married because of pressure put on them by the Christians in their lives.
    I have a problem with Christians judging anyone for anything. But your brothers situation is nobodies fault but theirs.
    Nothing wrong yet someone got pregnant when they didnt want to and opened up a huge mess later?
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 10-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.

  23. #156
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    85,921
    Thanks
    9,186
    Thanked 17,125 Times in 8,449 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    241

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I have a problem with Christians judging anyone for anything. But your brothers situation is nobodies fault but theirs.
    Getting pregnant was totally their fault.

    Getting married was a decision made solely because of pressure put on them by Christians and their fear of how Christians would judge them for having a kid out of wedlock. That pressure never should have existed.

  24. #157
    LETS GO BLUE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    36,146
    Thanks
    7,834
    Thanked 10,327 Times in 7,565 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    85

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I have a problem with Christians judging anyone for anything. But your brothers situation is nobodies fault but theirs.
    Nothing wrong yet someone got pregnant when they didnt want to and opened up a huge mess later?
    Probably should have just gotten an abortion, am I right?

  25. #158
    LETS GO BLUE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    36,146
    Thanks
    7,834
    Thanked 10,327 Times in 7,565 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    85

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    How do you feel about people using legislation to force Christians to practice their faith hey they want them to?
    In what what is legislation forcing Christian's to practice their faith

  26. Post thanked by:

    notacon (10-21-2019)

  27. #159
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    59,767
    Thanks
    2,288
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    228

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

    Getting married was a decision made solely because of pressure put on them by Christians and their fear of how Christians would judge them for having a kid out of wedlock. That pressure never should have existed.
    thats still your brothers fault. He still made the CHOICE to give in to peer pressure.

  28. #160
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    59,767
    Thanks
    2,288
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    228

    Re: Americans becoming less Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    In what what is legislation forcing Christian's to practice their faith
    this is what is coming... Beto O’Rourke says churches should lose tax-exempt status for opposing same-sex marriage

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Probably should have just gotten an abortion, am I right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •