Thread: Why didn't we use the misdirection plays?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,125 Times in 8,449 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why didn't we use the misdirection plays?

All season long, the Bills have had success with misdirection plays. Usually, it's a motion man going to the right, then when the play starts, a WR or RB will run behind the line of scrimmage in the opposite direction, and Allen will flip him the ball.

They didn't use that play at all yesterday. They faked it a few times, and once Allen kept it and ran right (and IIRC it got a decent gain).

It just really surprised me that they didn't use plays that had worked in the past, especially when they struggled offensively early in the game.

2. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (10-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,463 Times in 2,880 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Why didn't we use the misdirection plays?

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    All season long, the Bills have had success with misdirection plays. Usually, it's a motion man going to the right, then when the play starts, a WR or RB will run behind the line of scrimmage in the opposite direction, and Allen will flip him the ball.

They didn't use that play at all yesterday. They faked it a few times, and once Allen kept it and ran right (and IIRC it got a decent gain).

It just really surprised me that they didn't use plays that had worked in the past, especially when they struggled offensively early in the game.
    Also, all season long, Miami has struggled against those plays.

It really doesn't make sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,159 Times in 7,586 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Daboll sucks

5. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (10-23-2019),OpIv37 (10-21-2019),The last buffalo fan (10-21-2019)

One Now
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    Daboll sucks
    That explains it. ))

7. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (10-21-2019)

One Now
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So basically, we DID use a misdirection play, it was just an indirect misdirection at a higher level that goes a little something like this...

Daboll thought process:

-- "We've been using misdirection plays all year, Miami will expect us to use those plays. So, we'll surprise Miami by NOT using those plays at all; in essense 'misdirecting' them! I'm a genius!!!"

9. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (10-21-2019),jamze132 (10-21-2019),OpIv37 (10-21-2019),The last buffalo fan (10-21-2019),YardRat (10-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,125 Times in 8,449 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kaziganth View Post
    So basically, we DID use a misdirection play, it was just an indirect misdirection at a higher level that goes a little something like this...

Daboll thought process:

-- "We've been using misdirection plays all year, Miami will expect us to use those plays. So, we'll surprise Miami by NOT using those plays at all; in essense 'misdirecting' them! I'm a genius!!!"
    Sounds like the reverse of some of Gregg Williams' "This is so stupid they'll never expect us to do it!" play calls.

11. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (10-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I really do think Daboll is holding the offense back. Allen’s strength is his ability to elude defenders. Put him in a position outside the pocket to do so. More rollouts!

13. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (10-21-2019),The last buffalo fan (10-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,996 Times in 11,743 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They did try a 'jet sweep' with TE Knox in the second half, and several plays where the 'jet' ran the motion but didn't get the ball.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

15. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (10-21-2019),OpIv37 (10-21-2019)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,941 Times in 2,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I really do think Daboll is holding the offense back. Allen’s strength is his ability to elude defenders. Put him in a position outside the pocket to do so. More rollouts!
    The goal is to lessen the hits on Allen, not increase them.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,159 Times in 7,586 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

Agreed 100% keep the defense off balance.
    GO BUFFALO!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,586 Times in 3,414 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think the reason is that he tends to save it for the Redzone. Outside the redzone he takes shots at the Endzone.

The first FG we never made it there, but he did have that throw screen thing to DiMarco, and had an endzone throw to McKenzie I think. The second FG, same thing never made it to the Redzone, had the throw to Knox that would've gone for a TD. The third FG same thing, outside the redzone, no TD throw but a couple more drops by Knox.

TD pass, same thing, outside the Redzone, but made a deep attempt for the TD to Brown.

The TD after the fumble we had the McKenzie razzle dazzle that almost went for a TD. Then we went for a high percentage pass to Beasly for an easy TD.

Outside the scoring drives we had three punts. All deep on the wrong side of the 50. Mess up one of those plays on our side and we're losing the field position battle.

Overall it's a really conservative approach. They are fine with safe vanilla offense until they get beyond midfield and maybe beyond opponent's 40-35. Then they take a shot at the endzone when WRs can still run a full route. If they get into the redzone they have saved the tricks for scoring TDs instead of FGs. I don't have ANY problem with how that game was called.

20. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (10-21-2019),yordad (10-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    The goal is to lessen the hits on Allen, not increase them.
    He doesn’t have to be hit if he’s taught how to slide and avoid the big hits.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 4,370 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

prior to yesterday, the offense was top 10. This is with 8-9 new starters on offense which is pretty much a unit that is learning an entire new offense and learning how to play together with a QB who was rawer than sashimi when we drafted him.

The only way for a team to get gel well is continuity both schematically and player personnel.
    While Im not sold on Daboll , he comes from a NE type of thinking where they have to have a different scheme every week . Cant have continuity if you are not doing the same thing over and over again because you have to game plan differently every week with an overhauled line up at that.

IMO, scheming is not whats killing us. Its just a new offense with a young qb thats still leaning how to be a qb at the NFL level.

23. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (10-21-2019)

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,815 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have no issues with the play calling. The pre-snap penalties are hurting us more than anything. I think Daboll is really being conservative about what he puts out there. Keeping the cards close to the vest if you will. Revealing yourself against the Dolphins seems like a waste of effort.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

25. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (10-21-2019),The last buffalo fan (10-21-2019)