Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

  1. #1
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11,823
    Thanks
    5,323
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,866 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    32

    Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Said proposal from Major League Baseball would, basically, wipe out about 1/3rd of ALL minor league teams.

    And that's not even the HALF of it.

    This article explains it in detail.... http://www.baseballamerica.com/stori...-league-teams/
    "Do I have everybody's attention now?"

    -CM Punk, Monday Night RAW, 7/11/2011

  2. #2
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11,823
    Thanks
    5,323
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,866 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    32

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    The New York Times has an article that details one of the proposals. And it names the teams that would vanish, as well as how much by league. (It's behind a paywall, sadly.)

    But the Appalachian League and the New York Penn League would lose the most teams(9 each), followed by the Pioneer League with 8. Batavia and Auburn(among others)would lose their teams. So would Erie and Binghamton in the Eastern League.

  3. #3
    Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sitting on a toilet tank near you.
    Posts
    25,060
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    100

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    There's no way the Milb would allow this.
    Last edited by Forward_Lateral; 11-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.

  4. #4
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    There's no way the Milb would allow this.
    I wonder if they would. It can't be cheap to support 4 levels of minor league. Maybe they can shorten the draft by 30 rounds or so and save on scouting too.

  5. #5
    Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sitting on a toilet tank near you.
    Posts
    25,060
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    100

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I wonder if they would. It can't be cheap to support 4 levels of minor league. Maybe they can shorten the draft by 30 rounds or so and save on scouting too.
    Where the heck are all of those players going to go?

  6. #6
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Where the heck are all of those players going to go?
    I think the lower tier players will just lose their rides and it will push better players to more teams. I don't know for sure just a guess.

  7. #7
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,371
    Thanks
    9,353
    Thanked 17,421 Times in 8,629 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Where the heck are all of those players going to go?
    To flip burgers and deliver Amazon packages. It's where they were headed anyway- this just means they'll get there sooner.

  8. #8
    Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sitting on a toilet tank near you.
    Posts
    25,060
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    100

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    To flip burgers and deliver Amazon packages. It's where they were headed anyway- this just means they'll get there sooner.
    Way to kill a bunch of kids' dreams, man.

  9. #9
    Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,843
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 926 Times in 634 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    14

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    On Tuesday, 104 members of the House of Representatives signed a letter expressing their “firm opposition” to MLB’s proposed restructuring of the minor leagues. The letter included signatures from both sides of the political aisle.“If enacted, it would undermine the health of the minor league system that undergirds talent development and encourages fan loyalty,” the letter read, courtesy of SportBusiness. “It would particularly be felt in areas far from a major league team or where tickets to a major league game are cost-prohibitive.”
    https://sports.yahoo.com/congress-ur...002602003.html

  10. #10
    Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,843
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 926 Times in 634 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    14

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    I also have a friend that works for the Bisons and if you have ever been to a Bisons game you might know him Mr. Conehead anyways and he's written a letter to MLB urging commissioner Manfred to cease and desist on his proposal to do away with MiLB


  11. #11
    LETS GO BLUE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    36,796
    Thanks
    7,922
    Thanked 10,519 Times in 7,714 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    86

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    I also have a friend that works for the Bisons and if you have ever been to a Bisons game you might know him Mr. Conehead anyways and he's written a letter to MLB urging commissioner Manfred to cease and desist on his proposal to do away with MiLB

    Why would this guy care? Buffalo isnt going anywhere

  12. #12
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    On Tuesday, 104 members of the House of Representatives signed a letter expressing their “firm opposition” to MLB’s proposed restructuring of the minor leagues. The letter included signatures from both sides of the political aisle.“If enacted, it would undermine the health of the minor league system that undergirds talent development and encourages fan loyalty,” the letter read, courtesy of SportBusiness. “It would particularly be felt in areas far from a major league team or where tickets to a major league game are cost-prohibitive.”
    https://sports.yahoo.com/congress-ur...002602003.html
    Of course those 104 representatives will pay to keep those teams afloat...

  13. #13
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,371
    Thanks
    9,353
    Thanked 17,421 Times in 8,629 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Minor league baseball may look VERY different come 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    I also have a friend that works for the Bisons and if you have ever been to a Bisons game you might know him Mr. Conehead anyways and he's written a letter to MLB urging commissioner Manfred to cease and desist on his proposal to do away with MiLB
    Well if the guy selling beer dressed like a tv character from a 25 year old sketch says it's a bad idea, I see no reason why the commissioner wouldn't listen.

  14. Post thanked by:

    Haile SpikedLemonade (11-21-2019),JATMtheJATM (11-21-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •