Thread: A good QB and real threat at RB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 686 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A good QB and real threat at RB

This is what Cleveland presented to our D. A lot has been made on individual players - Levi, Edmunds, DEs - yesterday not stepping up to plate, But I'd argue that when Bills facing that combination, they had trouble. Phily was the case, The Jets game Darnold played like crap. Other teams they have played don't really have that combo.

It just underscores the value of the running attack. When people can run on you, your pass D suffers as well. Yesterday in Cleveland, Browns big chunk plays are running plays until the last 2 minutes.

Conversely looking at the Bills offense, everything is on Allen's plate to make a big play. Daboll is asking him to be the Brady for the Bills. I just don't think Allen is up to that task right now. Heck even Brady himself in his 2nd year wasn't asked to be the focal point of the big plays.

Look at the good offense in the league - Saints, Cowboys, KC last year with Hunt (and without steady running attack this year), Rams last year compared to this year. You see a trend.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A good QB and real threat at RB

they held them to 19 pts.

Offense needs to score 20 a game

simple

3. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (11-11-2019),Lone Stranger (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This isnt a dominating defense - nowhere near elite. But it is good, and this unit will always keep us competitive.

The problem, surprise surprise, is the offense. Not sure who to blame, the OL, the QB, or the OC. It's likely a combination of all 3, but I'm really worried about the QB position. The OL and OC and can be fixed ($$$ can correct this), but the QB position can derail a team for years. I get he doesnt have the greatest supporting cast (but then again, not every team can have elite probowlers at every position), and the OC isnt playing to his strengths (but again, not sure what his strengths are?), but Allen just doesnt look very good... not even glimpses of elite play - can't run for fear of fumbling or injury, cant connect on the deep ball, and can't hit a receiver in stride. He looks to be nothing more than a fantastic game manager.

5. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 686 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It depends on your expectation. People see Mahomes and Watson set foot on fields on Sundays and started running right away, and expect Allen to do the same. How many Mahomes and Watson in the last 10 years outside of Luck?

To me, I do expect Allen to be a game manager this season. And this is almost exactly what I expected to see (maybe less turnover but less 4th quarter come-backs as well). But I do expect him to grow out of that role next year.

7. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,535 Times in 3,804 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills' RBs only ran the ball 13 times yesterday against the Browns. Singletary 8 times, and Gore 5 times. Singletary averaged 5.2 YPC. Meanwhile, Allen threw the ball 41 times.

Stupid game plan, especially considering how bad the Browns rushing defense has been this year.

9. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The Bills' RBs only ran the ball 13 times yesterday against the Browns. Singletary 8 times, and Gore 5 times. Singletary averaged 5.2 YPC. Meanwhile, Allen threw the ball 41 times.

Stupid game plan, especially considering how bad the Browns rushing defense has been this year.
    Yup... I wonder if the coaching staff is just that stupid, or if they're testing out the QB position. I wonder if they're just trying to see what they have in Josh Allen. The guy has been pretty ineffective this season (as a passer), and you dont keep going pass heavy for no reason.

11. Post thanked by: