Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I noticed yesterday: Browns edition

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,168 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Things I noticed yesterday: Browns edition

1.) Levi Wallace belongs on the sidelines. I'm not going to beat that horse anymore. He's terrible. He couldn't cover a dead guy.

2.) Lee Smith is equally as terrible. If I had to guess, he's been the most penalized Bill. No clue what he's on the team for. If you want extra blocking, put another OT out there as eligible.

3.) Josh Allen was terrible at times. He did play well in spurts. But missing wide open guys (when I say missing I mean throwing off target, not not seeing them) is inexcusable. That stuff needs to be corrected, or they will never be a team to reckon with.

4.) Daboll is an idiot. The Browns weakness is vs the run. They ran the ball 13 times (not including Josh's scrambles). All of this after watching Singletary play great last week. Stupidity at it's finest.

5.) The D gets zero pressure most of the time they only rush 4. It's time to dial up more blitzes or something. QBs pick the secondary apart because they have all day to throw.

6.) Cody Ford is awful. Please for the love of baby Jesus end that experiment now. Leave Ty there full time, and either rotate Ford at RG, or leave him on the freaking bench until someone gets hurt.

7.) Dawkins also got pwned yesterday.

8.) What kind of play calling were those on 4th and 4? They went for it 2 or 3 times, and each time the play called was head scratching. Which leads me to

9.) McD obviously doesn't trust Haushka. He's either hurt, getting old or something. He used to never hesitate to try a 50 yarder. Now it's 4 down territory. At this point, I'd rather that they punt, to be honest.

I don't know what else to say. I have been pretty good at not getting upset over losses the past 10 years, but this one pissed me off. It's a game they had won. A game they should've won. The Defense folded like a cheap card table under pressure, and it was really disheartening. At this point, I don't think this team will win more than 3 more games. I hope I'm wrong, but my hopes usually end up crushed.

2. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (11-11-2019),Cntrygal (11-12-2019),jamze132 (11-11-2019),Lucidvizion (11-11-2019),Mace (11-11-2019),Mad Bomber (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,367 Times in 7,724 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Things I noticed yesterday: Browns edition

I agree and with all of those issues does this team really look like a play-off contender?

4. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 793 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Once viewed as gimme games, these vs the dolphins and the broncos are now quite scary. If we lose either of them our chances plummet. I agree, we were in position to win and just decided to lose instead, something this team has been avoiding most of the year.

6. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 3,774 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We were moving the ball nicely on the last drive then backed off and went for the tie as soon as we got in long FG range. I couldn't believe they went into a huddle after they got to the 35. What other team does that? This staff plays not to lose which = Losers IMO.

8. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (11-12-2019),Haile SpikedLemonade (11-11-2019),jamze132 (11-11-2019),Jeff1220 (11-11-2019),Kenny (11-11-2019),Mace (11-11-2019),sahlensguy (11-11-2019),Swiper (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,514 Times in 6,417 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    We were moving the ball nicely on the last drive then backed off and went for the tie as soon as we got in long FG range. I couldn't believe they went into a huddle after they got to the 35. What other team does that? This staff plays not to lose which = Losers IMO.
    I agree. After watching that unfortunate series of events I just shook my head and said, "they don't deserve to win." And nobody hates Landry and Mayfield more than I do. But wtf was that? It was like they failed to put a knife into their back. Where's the killer instinct?
    Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

10. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (11-11-2019),sahlensguy (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 21,242 Times in 11,884 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think it's pretty obvious McDermott's base philosophy is to play to not lose...not play to win...and it's evident regardless of which side of the ball is on the field.

The defense (except for rare flashes, like the goal line stand yesterday) doesn't play to create stops, turnovers and big plays like sacks...they play to not get beat deep and give up quick points. Which can be 'OK' because it keeps points scored against down to a reasonable level but it doesn't get the ball back to the offense or score themselves on big plays. I know Wallace has looked like ass the past few weeks and teams are picking on him, but Tre' White was hands-down the best player on the field yesterday for both teams, and how many successful third down conversions did he give up to OBJ? More than three by my count, and that's too many. But it wasn't because White couldn't cover Beckham, it's because the defensive call had him backing off past the first down marker and essentially giving the Browns the first.

The offense doesn't appear to have any recognizable semblance of being able to attack, and even though the reins have probably been pulled in a little to alleviate the turnover fest from the first few games I admit part of just looks like incompetence from the OC and QB.

This team would be a good candidate for the next "I'm OK" commercial.

It's OK for the offense to punt the ball, because it's not a turnover. Well that doesn't help us put points on the board.
    It's OK for the defense to give up first downs and chunk yardage, because it's not a big play giving up points. Well that doesn't help us put points on the board either.

"It's OK" is a philosophy that gets you 8-8 and mediocrity. Maybe they get a couple of lucky breaks to get to 10 wins...maybe those breaks go against them and they only get six. Maybe they feel that's where this team is in "the process" and it's the appropriate approach, and I guess I can understand that to a certain point but in all honesty I had much higher expectations for this team and have a hard time being OK with them being just OK.
    Last edited by YardRat; 11-11-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

12. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (11-12-2019),jamze132 (11-11-2019),Novacane (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-12-2019)

Zone's most cruel & vile 2016 Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,187 Times in 6,699 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm still aggravated by DiMarco being out wide in a goal line package with Singletary to Allen's left as a blocker in the backfield. That was utterly ridiculous.
    Shot down in flames by Mr. Pink....the comedy, the tragedy, the drama, pathos, schadenfreude, one dollar off on a happy meal with the correct coupon code. Dastardly destiny dooms daring....um....myselfs, me, Mace....I to despicable destruction, darn !

14. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (11-12-2019),sahlensguy (11-11-2019),YardRat (11-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,151 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm still aggravated by DiMarco being out wide in a goal line package with Singletary to Allen's left as a blocker in the backfield. That was utterly ridiculous.
    You got to put players in a position to make a play. It's as if Daboll is out there to show how much smarter he is than everyone else. Blindside blocking isnt Singletary's forte and DiMarco out wide will never create a mismatch. I'd like to think that this formation gets deleted from the playbook, but you just never know.

16. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (11-12-2019),Haile SpikedLemonade (11-12-2019),Mace (11-11-2019)

Zone's most cruel & vile 2016 Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,187 Times in 6,699 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    You got to put players in a position to make a play. It's as if Daboll is out there to show how much smarter he is than everyone else. Blindside blocking isnt Singletary's forte and DiMarco out wide will never create a mismatch. I'd like to think that this formation gets deleted from the playbook, but you just never know.
    It was nuts. Right from the snap, everyone hooks right as Allen immediately rolls out right, leaving Singletary running horizontally left watching Allen's back receding in the distance. DiMarco had no business even being on the field on that play. Duke Williams should have been on the field but wait ! Duke was inactive ! We don't need anyone big and aggressive for that back endzone corner pass ! Not like you want to fake a toss to Singletary to freeze anyone in coverage either ! Pre snap motion ? Nah !

Oh there's just so much wrong with that play it burned into my memory and won't go away.

18. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (11-12-2019),sahlensguy (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,151 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It was nuts. Right from the snap, everyone hooks right as Allen immediately rolls out right, leaving Singletary running horizontally left watching Allen's back receding in the distance. DiMarco had no business even being on the field on that play. Duke Williams should have been on the field but wait ! Duke was inactive ! We don't need anyone big and aggressive for that back endzone corner pass ! Not like you want to fake a toss to Singletary to freeze anyone in coverage either ! Pre snap motion ? Nah !

Oh there's just so much wrong with that play it burned into my memory and won't go away.
    Play to the player's strengths. So simple and basic.
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 11-11-2019 at 09:45 PM.

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-11-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dawkins did not get owned. I was at the game. Browns fans were commenting that Garrett was being manhandled by a single person. Garrett’s one of the best in the league and he was a factor on about 3 or 4 plays.

22. Post thanked by:

yordad (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Daboll’s play calling has absolutely no rhythm, that’s for sure. What happened to the use of Cole Beasley as an alternative to the run? Those quick passes are things that Allen does well.

Allen threw some beauties...from the pocket. Passes to Brown and the one to Foster. On the move he was not good .

24. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,110 Times in 4,308 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    Dawkins did not get owned. I was at the game. Browns fans were commenting that Garrett was being manhandled by a single person. Garrett’s one of the best in the league and he was a factor on about 3 or 4 plays.
    Typical of people around here, the O-line isn't as bad as some around here want you to believe. They're not a great unit but they're not bad either.

And I noticed the same Garrett was a non-factor Sunday.

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Typical of people around here, the O-line isn't as bad as some around here want you to believe. They're not a great unit but they're not bad either.

And I noticed the same Garrett was a non-factor Sunday.
    He wasn't a non-factor. He almost killed Allen on a few occasions

28. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 870 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's a play that has your presnap motion, and also features Dimarco. Motioning Dimarco basically tells Allen that we have single high man coverage across the board, we have a bum like Dimarco being covered by a DB, excellent scheme. Cole picks off the man covering Knox, look how wide ****ing open Knox is, and Allen is so ****ing late with the ball the FS who is playing single high is able to still make a play on it because Allen takes years to diagnose. Knox should have caught the ball, but it's an easy ****ing TD if he throws it sooner, or rather, if he understood coverages, which he doesn't. His man beater was to the boundary, not the field, and the dude is looking field from the snap. Allen 100% did not get it. You're not going to throw the drag to Dimarco, or the dig to Brown with the FS there, your man beater is the snag concept to the boundary side. Even Dimarco is pointing to Allen on where to go with the football. Ain't all on Daboll, and this ****ing clip clearly disputes what you posted about motion. We use motion, and we use bums like Dimarco to create a mismatch, we had CB covering a ****ing FB, that's what you want. Allen just took way too long, and didn't understand the coverage. For such a high wonderlic the kid is football stupid, plain and simple.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 11-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.

30. Post thanked by:

Kenny (11-12-2019),Mr. Pink (11-12-2019),The last buffalo fan (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,110 Times in 4,308 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1194308471426031616

Here's a play that has your presnap motion, and also features Dimarco. Motioning Dimarco basically tells Allen that we have single high man coverage across the board, we have a bum like Dimarco being covered by a DB, excellent scheme. Cole picks off the man covering Knox, look how wide ****ing open Knox is, and Allen is so ****ing late with the ball the FS who is playing single high is able to still make a play on it because Allen takes years to diagnose. Knox should have caught the ball, but it's an easy ****ing TD if he throws it sooner, or rather, if he understood coverages, which he doesn't. His man beater was to the boundary, not the field, and the dude is looking field from the snap. Allen 100% did not get it. You're not going to throw the drag to Dimarco, or the dig to Brown with the FS there, your man beater is the snag concept to the boundary side. Even Dimarco is pointing to Allen on where to go with the football. Ain't all on Daboll, and this ****ing clip clearly disputes what you posted about motion. We use motion, and we use bums like Dimarco to create a mismatch, we had CB covering a ****ing FB, that's what you want. Allen just took way too long, and didn't understand the coverage. For such a high wonderlic the kid is football stupid, plain and simple.
    Allen's biggest issue on this play is he overreacts to some pretty non-existent pressure.

That overreaction forces him to waste the precious second or so, which then allows the safety to be able to make a play on the ball. If he just stands in tall and delivers the ball, it's a TD.

32. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Allen's biggest issue on this play is he overreacts to some pretty non-existent pressure.

That overreaction forces him to waste the precious second or so, which then allows the safety to be able to make a play on the ball. If he just stands in tall and delivers the ball, it's a TD.
    He always overreacts, but look at his head post snap, his first read is wrong, the motion should have told him to look at Knox/Cole, that was his best man beating concept. They had a money play drawn up, Cole picks off Knox's dude if it's man and we are set. We may have been ****ed if they called zone, but they didn't so we had it drawn up right.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But it's Daboll's fault!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    But it's Daboll's fault!
    Yeah, this is a drum we beat constantly, and yet week after week we leave so many yards and big plays on the field. He's not the best coordinator on the planet, but we're not executing a lot of plays on the offensive side. Right now, even if we jettison Daboll I'm not sure it will make much of a difference. I believe our weakness is the same issue we've had over the last 20 years, QB1. Even a top tier OC will provide marginal gains if our players continuously fail to execute on the field.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 11-12-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    He always overreacts, but look at his head post snap, his first read is wrong, the motion should have told him to look at Knox/Cole, that was his best man beating concept. They had a money play drawn up, Cole picks off Knox's dude if it's man and we are set. We may have been ****ed if they called zone, but they didn't so we had it drawn up right.
    How do you know where his first read is supposed to go? Are you assuming it's supposed to go right because Dimarco pointed that way?