Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: NHL News and Notes Thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NHL News and Notes Thread.

Agree with this Tweet. DeBrincat is not all that. He's ok, not great... so why all the hubbub over him? He was just in the right place at the right time. Yzerman only on the hook for 4 years, not 8 if he doesn't turn out to be all that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    AND signed to a 4 year contract with an AAV of $7.875M.

Compared to that, Tage Thompson's making peanuts.

BTW: DeBrincat was traded for Dominik Kubalik, Donovan Sebrango, a conditional 2024 1st and a 2024 4th.
    Cory Lavalette: “What Ottawa gave up a year and two days ago to get DeBrincat:

* 2022 first round pick (#7-Kevin Korchinski)
    • 2022 second round pick (#39-Paul Ludwinski)
    • 2024 third round pick”

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Alex Galchenyuk cut two weeks after signing in Arizona after getting into some trouble.

Coyotes place newly signed Alex Galchenyuk on waivers following his arrest on multiple charges

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Arizona Coyotes placed newly signed free agent forward Alex Galchenyuk on unconditional waivers and plan to terminate his contract following his arrest on multiple charges over the weekend.

A Scottsdale Police Department spokesperson said Thursday that Galchenyuk was arrested Sunday on charges of private property hit and run, disorderly conduct, failure to obey, resisting arrest, and threatening or intimidating. The spokesperson said the hit and run was only property damage and no injuries occurred.

Galchenyuk was booked into the Scottsdale city jail on misdemeanor charges and released the next day on his own recognizance.

“The Arizona Coyotes have placed forward Alex Galchenyuk on unconditional waivers for purposes of terminating his contract,” the team said in a statement Thursday. “The Club will have no further comment at this time.”

The NHL Players Association said it is reviewing the matter.

The Coyotes signed Galchenyuk to a one-year, $775,000 contract July 1, the opening of free agency, for his third stint with the team.

The 29-year-old had 19 goals and 22 assists with the Coyotes in 2018-19 and returned in 2021-22, finishing with six goals and 15 assists in 60 games.

Montreal selected Galchenyuk with the third overall pick of the 2012 NHL Draft and he played his first six seasons with the Canadiens, starting in 2012. He had 30 goals and 26 assists in 2015-16, but has been more of a journeyman the past few years, playing in Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Ottawa, Toronto and Colorado.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

WGR suggests the K'Andre Miller bridge deal may be a model for Kevyn Adams to get Owen Power signed this summer.

Rangers give restricted free agent defenseman K’Andre Miller a 2-year extension

Such a deal would allow Power to continue to develop his NHL game while paying him properly, then could sign a long-term deal after this shorter one.

Miller was the 22nd overall pick of the 2018 draft (sandwiched between the Sabres getting Dahlin & Samuelsson). He was a great pick (when he's not spitting on Drew Doughty) - see:

NEW YORK (AP) The New York Rangers have agreed to terms with restricted free agent defenseman K’Andre Miller on a two-year, $7.7 million contract extension.

General manager Chris Drury announced the deal on Tuesday that will keep the 23-year-old with the Rangers through the 2024-25 season. He has been a mainstay in the lineup since joining the team for the start of the 2020-21 season.

Miller established career-highs in goals (9), assists (34) and points (43) in 2022-23, ranking second among Blueshirts defensemen in all three categories. He also played a role on special teams, being on the ice for 149 minutes of shorthanded time.

The St. Paul, Minnesota, native has 21 goals and 54 assists in 214 career NHL games, all with New York, and has a career plus-44 rating. Since his rookie season in 2020-21, Miller ranks seventh among NHL defensemen in takeaways with 153.

Miller was drafted by New York with the 22nd overall pick in the 2018 draft. Among defensemen taken that year, he ranks first in plus/minus, third in ice time per game (21:14) and fourth in games played.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bookmark this article and check it around Christmas time for accuracy:

Every NHL Team's Secret Weapon for the 2023-24 Season

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Alex Galchenyuk cut two weeks after signing in Arizona after getting into some trouble.

Coyotes place newly signed Alex Galchenyuk on waivers following his arrest on multiple charges

A Scottsdale Police Department report said Galchenyuk was erratic and aggressive toward officers after apparently crashing a car into a sign.

Galchenyuk cited connections in Moscow while saying "I'm gunna chop you, your wife, your daughter" and "One phone call and you're all dead, your whole family, your blood line is dead," police said in the report.

Galchenyuk, who was born in the U.S. to Belarusian parents, but spent much of his childhood in Russia, uttered a racial slur several times while referring to the officer in training, the report said.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-officers-stop

7. Post thanked by:

Skooby (07-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cops had my Dad saying stuff like that to them, it’s drunk talk.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Patrice Bergeron retires.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tarasenko signs with Ottawa for one year

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Patrice Bergeron retires.
    Krejci retires now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...nt-nhl-bruins/

Bruins are cooked

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,512 Times in 4,886 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Krejci retires now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...nt-nhl-bruins/

Bruins are cooked
    I wouldn't say they cooked-not as long as Pastrnak's around-but Boston's star is on the decline. I think you're going to see a changing of the guard in the Atlantic Division starting this season.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Per multiple outlets, Mike Babcock has resigned as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets less than three months after taking the post. Allegedly, he violated players' privacy during the off season by insisting that they show him personal photos from their phones.

Assistant coach Pascal Vincent has become the new head coach.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I guess I post this here. List of rookies set to start for their 2023 NHL team that had zero games last year. True rookies. Cross match with the draft, I guess.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Kirby Dach tore his ACL and is out for the rest of the regular season.https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...l?platform=amp

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sens player Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for gambling.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sens player Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for gambling.
    There HAS to be more to the story than this. And none of this is going to reflect well on the NHL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Agree with this Tweet. DeBrincat is not all that. He's ok, not great... so why all the hubbub over him? He was just in the right place at the right time. Yzerman only on the hook for 4 years, not 8 if he doesn't turn out to be all that.

So far this season, he's been outstanding

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    There HAS to be more to the story than this. And none of this is going to reflect well on the NHL.
    I had heard he didn't bet on hockey but was using a 3rd party proxy instead of doing it himself. Not sure what that entails but to me he was using a bookie or someone was gambling with his money in his name.

However, this was a bargained and agreed to suspension so he obviously in the wrong according to the current policy. Maybe they change it or update it like football did.

- - - Updated - - -

So far this season, he's been outstanding
    Larkin too. I think he is still on a point streak to start the year. Only about 43 more to catch Wayner.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I had heard he didn't bet on hockey but was using a 3rd party proxy instead of doing it himself. Not sure what that entails but to me he was using a bookie or someone was gambling with his money in his name.

However, this was a bargained and agreed to suspension so he obviously in the wrong according to the current policy. Maybe they change it or update it like football did.

- - - Updated - - -

Larkin too. I think he is still on a point streak to start the year. Only about 43 more to catch Wayner.
    It's hard for me to side with the league when it advertises sports betting at such a heavy degree. Unless he was betting on the NHL, I couldnt care less

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It has been confirmed that Prospect Adam Johnson for the Pittsburgh Penguins has passed away due to taking a skate to the throat.

This is terrible.