Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL News and Notes Thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NHL News and Notes Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Vegas takes game 1 ...... 5-2
    The two worst teams in the league. NHL is a joke. Expansion is a joke.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 6,117 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Vegas takes game 2.

7-2
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Montour flew home for son's birth, was back for Game 2 with Panthers

He had just played in the first Stanley Cup Final game of his career, Game 1 against the Vegas Golden Knights on Saturday, something that might have left him restless and sleepless anyway. But instead of hopping on the Florida Panthers team bus postgame to return to their Las Vegas hotel, Montour was sitting alone on a private plane jetting across the country.
    Just after the game ended, coach Paul Maurice and general manager Bill Zito informed Montour that his wife, Ryian, due with the couple's first baby on June 18 and expected to be induced June 14, had gone into labor just before the game started.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Provorov goes to Blue Jackets in 3-team trade with Flyers, Kings

Ivan Provorov was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday in a three-team deal also involving the Philadelphia Flyers and Los Angeles Kings.

Provorov, along with forward Hayden Hodgson, were traded to the Kings for goalie Cal Petersen, defenseman Sean Walker, defenseman prospect Helge Grans and a second-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft. The Flyers also traded defenseman Kevin Connauton to the Blue Jackets for the Kings' first-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft and a second-round pick in the 2024 or 2025 NHL Draft.

Provorov was then traded to the Blue Jackets for Connauton.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Devils to begin contract talks with Meier this week, GM says

BUFFALO -- The New Jersey Devils this week will begin serious discussions to lock up Timo Meier long term, general manager Tom Fitzgerald said Tuesday.

Fitzgerald said the plan is to speak with Meier's agent, Claude Lemieux, in the coming days in an attempt to woo the forward into signing a multiyear pact. The 26-year-old becomes a restricted free agent July 1 and is one year away from unrestricted free agency, a scenario New Jersey would like to avoid.

"We would love nothing better to tie him up long term," Fitzgerald told NHL.com at the NHL Scouting Combine. "That's our goal. That's what Claude and I will go through.

"I want them to understand what New Jersey is, what the organization is, the living -- I think New Jersey is a diamond in the rough -- the travel, all the positive things. Give him a chance to settle in and go: 'OK, I hope you want to be here.' Those are some of the things we'll go through."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Panthers finally get one ..... 3-2 in ....... O. V. E. R. T. I. M. E.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,481 Times in 12,026 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Severson is working on a sign and trade to end up in Columbus according to EF

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...kDclLfS8Q&s=19
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,380 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm hoping the Jets can get a sign and trade with Dubois. They have very little leverage so we will see.

12. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (06-09-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,139 Times in 5,884 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Explain the need for a sign and trade? Surely the top FA is worth more than what you’re getting back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Explain the need for a sign and trade? Surely the top FA is worth more than what you’re getting back.
    current team is the only one that can offer 8 years. A UFA can only sign 7. The sign and trade gets the new team the extra year and the old team gets a little sweetener to not lose the player for nothing.

This under the assumption the player or the team don't want to continue their relationship for whatever reason (cap, family, etc)

15. Post thanked by:

swiper (06-10-2023)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,512 Times in 4,886 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I'm hoping the Jets can get a sign and trade with Dubois. They have very little leverage so we will see.
    Dubois has asked for trades twice in his career and he's not even in his mid 20s. Seems to me he's not exactly the type of teammate you'd want to be on your squad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    The two worst teams in the league. NHL is a joke. Expansion is a joke.
    That's how the Stanley Cup playoffs works.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Severson is working on a sign and trade to end up in Columbus according to EF

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...kDclLfS8Q&s=19
    A big to-do over this signing. Like the Blue Jackets are the second coming. The main stream hockey media seems to love this. But Severson who? Here's the truth:

Vince Z. Mercogliano: “Nothing at all against Severson, who is a fine player, but I’m seeing multiple people refer to him as the top free agent available in this summer’s class…?

He was a bottom-pair guy in NJ and now he’s one of the 40 highest-paid D-men in the league. Am I missing something?”
    Charlie O’Connor: “Here’s the thing with Columbus. While I am not at all convinced that they are ready to turn the corner into contention, they signed a 29-year old Johnny Gaudreau to a 7 year deal last summer & are going to hire Mike friggin Babcock. It’s not like this win-now philosophy is new.”
    @domluszczyszyn: Columbus makes a big splash with Damon Severson, paying him like a top pair defenseman with eight years of term. He's an underrated player now, but he's now far from an underpaid one.
    The NJ Devils don't tend to make poor trades. The Blue Jackets took a 3rd-line pairing guy and paid him as a top-pairing guy. He'll end up being a 2nd line defender. You don't look smart paying all that money to a player in that position.

Puck Pedia: salary breakdown.

2023-24: $6 million salary and a $2 million signing bonus
    2024-25: $6 million salary and a $2 million signing bonus
    2025-26: $5.5 million salary and a $2 million signing bonus
    2026-27: $4.1 million salary and a $2 million signing bonus
    2027-28: $3.3 million salary and a $1.8 million signing bonus
    2028-29: $4.1 million salary and a $1 million signing bonus
    2029-30: $5.1 million salary
    2030-31: $5.1 million salary

He’ll have a no-trade clause for the first four years, a 20-team no-trade in year five, and a 12-team no-trade for the final three years of the contract.
    Last edited by swiper; 06-10-2023 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ask yourself how you'd feel if the Sabres threw that money and term at a 3rd-line defender, while giving up a 3rd round pick. It may work for Columbus, it may not and will tie up a lot of money for 5-6 years -and the no-trade clause for this type of player is just hilarious. They are stuck with him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sportsnet 590 The FAN: Elliotte Friedman on The Jeff Marek Show on the offseason ahead for the Winnipeg Jets.

Marek: “One team I want to throw in there quickly, I think we’re all expecting something big at some point. I don’t know which domino is going to be the first, but I mentioned the Winnipeg Jets a couple seconds ago.’

We all now and suspect what the moves are going to be and whose names are on the front burner here.

How quickly do you think (GM Kevin) Cheveldayoff gets to work now that it seems like, to be blunt, trade season is kind of on here?”

Friedman: “Really, honestly, I think it starts and ends with (Connor) Hellebuyck. I shouldn’t say ends with Hellebuyck. I think it starts with Hellebuyck because I think he’s the one you’re probably going to get the most return for.

As you and I have talked about, there’s a really interesting goalie market out there. I think there’s teams looking. And so, I think people are kind of talking about who’s the goalie we want to go after and what’s that going to look like. So, I think a lot of this starts with Hellebuyck.

I think Winnipeg’s big challenge with (Pierre-Luc) Dubois is going to be, can you convince other teams out there, that there’s a market for him beyond Montreal? I don’t think it’s only Montreal for Dubois but I think we all believe it is his vast preference is to end up there.

So if you’re Montreal and you think that’s the case, you’re not paying a ransom for him. I think the most interesting thing there is, I think there’s teams out there looking at this like, we’ve got one more year of a really tight cap. If we’re a good team and if we think he can help us for a year, let’s go for it.

NHL Rumors: Carter Hart – Flyers, Sharks and Canadiens

Like I know last year, there were teams that looked at Dubois and said, ‘Hey, if we only get him for two years, we’ll take it.’

But what’s that trade look like? I think that’s one of the biggest questions. “
    As Sabres fans, many of us are keeping one eye on this situation. I think we all have this UPL-plus for Hellebuyck fanatasy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Dubois has asked for trades twice in his career and he's not even in his mid 20s. Seems to me he's not exactly the type of teammate you'd want to be on your squad.
    AND... he has said he only wants Montreal, which was stupid for him to do. Now Montreal will definitely not over-commit for him and this will scare off other teams. That GM has some work to do. Mark Scheifele is an ******* and locker room cancer (just ask Patrick Laine), Dubois is a shiny prima donna (as is Scheifele). They should jettison those two, IMO. But they have some good players to rebuild around: Morrissey, Connor, Ehlers... Niederreiter will turn out to be a solid addition. Not sure about Wheeler. I seem to remember Laine complaining about Scheifele & Wheeler in the locker room.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,139 Times in 5,884 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

current team is the only one that can offer 8 years. A UFA can only sign 7. The sign and trade gets the new team the extra year and the old team gets a little sweetener to not lose the player for nothing.

This under the assumption the player or the team don't want to continue their relationship for whatever reason (cap, family, etc)
    I thought a new team signed him then immediately traded him… thus the three team deal.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post

That is very true but being a 6'3" C is always going to be in demand. Rumors are he wants to be in Montreal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I thought a new team signed him then immediately traded him… thus the three team deal.
    No the 3rd team was to retain salary. Traded to that team, traded out with retained salary to the end team.

23. Post thanked by:

sukie (06-12-2023)