Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: NHL News and Notes Thread.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NHL News and Notes Thread.

What do you guys think of the 24 team thing? I know it is to recoup revenue but teams like Chicago and Montreal getting in is a little ridiculous IMO.

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,409 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    What do you guys think of the 24 team thing? I know it is to recoup revenue but teams like Chicago and Montreal getting in is a little ridiculous IMO.
    There really is no good solution outside of playing the rest of the season.

Montreal was 31-31

Chicago was 32-30

The teams that were left out of the proposal all had losing records at the time of the freeze.

3. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (05-22-2020)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 3,247 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Personally, I'm OK with Buffalo being on the outside looking in.

Whoever the next GM is(whether that's Botts or someone else), they'd better start crafting an attitude of "So the NHL doesn't take Buffalo seriously? That changes NOW. You don't want to give us what we want? That's fine. We'll just TAKE it. By force if necessary." That means getting players who can be bastards when the situation calls for it. I'd be OK with Buffalo making a play for D Dustin Byfuglien; don't give him a large contract due to the injury issues he's had. But get him for the fact that he can HIT...and viciously, at that.
    "Do I have everybody's attention now?" -CM Punk, Monday Night RAW, 7/11/2011

"I will tell anybody who doesn't like the fact that I march to the beat of my own drum, and it's real simple: Kiss my ***. Stay the hell out of my way."
    -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 10/29/19

Thanks
    Thanked 19,261 Times in 9,646 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As a Sabres fan, the quicker the 19-20 debacle is officially over, the better. I don’t really care if they play or if they do play, who’s in or out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,502 Times in 3,193 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think a joke that having 2 less games played that could of been wins freezes us out from the playoffs, it sets a tone that more early games are better if this ever happens again. I think itís total BS, Buffalo should have a one game playoffs winner makes the playoffs via not being able to cleanly settle it. Honestly itís not fair. One other factor is Buffalo is typically a great team out of the gate, then we crap the bed. This back to playing thing actually gives a shot to possible win a round or 2, seriously we are weirdos like this.
    Last edited by Skooby; 05-22-2020 at 11:24 PM.

7. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (05-23-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    I think a joke that having 2 less games played that could of been wins freezes us out from the playoffs, it sets a tone that more early games are better if this ever happens again. I think it’s total BS, Buffalo should have a one game playoffs winner makes the playoffs via not being able to cleanly settle it. Honestly it’s not fair. One other factor is Buffalo is typically a great team out of the gate, then we crap the bed. This back to playing thing actually gives a shot to possible win a round or 2, seriously we are weirdos like this.
    Did you watch the same team I did? They were utter crap after the first month. If they had won just a couple more games, they’d be in, but they couldn’t. It’s totally on them.

And personally I’m happy that I don’t have to watch this **** product anymore. Lots of bad contracts come off the books this off-season. Add talent and work on the fall.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Did you watch the same team I did? They were utter crap after the first month. If they had won just a couple more games, they’d be in, but they couldn’t. It’s totally on them.

And personally I’m happy that I don’t have to watch this **** product anymore. Lots of bad contracts come off the books this off-season. Add talent and work on the fall.
    This is going to be a difficult off season for many teams, And the current situation is less than ideal for a team like the Sabres who were already cash poor.

Salary cap is not going up much if at all. It might even go down.

That will affect the trade market, Having the draft wile teams are still playing will hurt the market as well.

Many players will look to sign one year deals in hopes the cap goes up after 2021 in order to cash in.

So teams will lose a year of RFA status and a player may end up with a larger contract than if they signed long term this year if they perform. Example, Sampson.

The upcoming FA class is poop.

And Seattle will be taking players next off season.
    Last edited by Downinfloflo; 05-23-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,483 Times in 8,409 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

don't forget the possibility of adding cozens. Kid looks legit.

11. Post thanked by:

ckg927 (05-25-2020),Skooby (05-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,502 Times in 3,193 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So you’re saying there’s a chance.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    So you’re saying there’s a chance.
    No. There isn’t. We are the Redskins of the NHL. Poisoned by garbage ownership.

14. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The new NHL/NHLPA Phase 2 memo(which is 29 pages long)has these interesting tidbits in it(due credit to TSN's Pierre LeBrun for finding these out):

*They expect to move to Phase 2 early next month. Unknown is the exact date or how long it'll last.
    *Player participation is strictly voluntary. Clubs cannot require players to return to the team's home city so they can complete a quarantine requirement to participate in phase 2.
    *Besides exercising, face coverings have to be worn at all times(other than when they're exercising or on the ice)when they are inside the facility and physical distancing cannot be maintained.
    *Only 6 players can be in a practice facility at once. On-ice sessions are with players only; no coaches or other personnel on the ice.
    *As for testing asymptomatic players and team personnel: It has to be done keeping excess testing capacity in mind so that health care workers, vulnerable people and symptomatic individuals have access to tests.

And, mind you, this is just for phase 2. Phase 3(training camp)and Phase 4(return to action)are a LONG way off.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Draft lottery might be on June 26th.

And apparently it's business as usual, Technically the NYR could win the cup and lottery.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Draft lottery might be on June 26th.

And apparently it's business as usual, Technically the NYR could win the cup and lottery.
    Technically, as Wayne of Wayne's World would say, "It could happen. And monkeys might fly out of my butt."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Presser set to be held by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman today at 4:30pm on what the rest of the NHL season looks like IF they can restart the season.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,095 Times in 6,795 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The death knell.
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

20. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,483 Times in 8,409 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I mean, once I saw the pegulas main objective is to sustain their lifestyle, is there any way anyone can think this ownership group is anything less.

Protected by Jesus' Blood!
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,058 Times in 8,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Presser set to be held by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman today at 4:30pm on what the rest of the NHL season looks like IF they can restart the season.
    Apparently, all the players and owners agreed to was the play-off format.

They have to agree on all of the rest and many players are hesitant to restart this thing without safety and money being addressed to their satisfaction.

If Gary was honest, he would say that total team number contraction is on the table if this does not restart in 2020.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    Apparently, all the players and owners agreed to was the play-off format.

They have to agree on all of the rest and many players are hesitant to restart this thing without safety and money being addressed to their satisfaction.

If Gary was honest, he would say that total team number contraction is on the table if this does not restart in 2020.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: They never should have expanded. Phoenix should have moved to Vegas, then Seattle and Quebec could fight over who gets Florida and who gets Carolina. 15 teams in each conference, three 5-division teams in each conference. Top two teams in each division make the playoffs, plus 2 wild cards per conference.

But, that makes too much sense. We need at least two teams in non-hockey areas full of retirees who, if they do care about hockey, root for the team from their original hometown. We need monstrous 8 team divisions. We need a team in Carolina where the "fans" still can't figure out why the players aren't just skating counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the rink. We need an expansion team in Vegas where the expansion draft is rigged to make them instantly successful so they can take advantage of being the only major pro team in town before the Raiders move in. We need to do the same thing in Seattle, even though it's not necessary with the void left by the Sonics leaving and it's a better hockey market in the first place.

Bettman's a tool.

24. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (05-26-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Technically, as Wayne of Wayne's World would say, "It could happen. And monkeys might fly out of my butt."
    The Rangers will be playing again, And they will retain pick #13 that will be added to the lottery, That's a win all the way around.

What you do with your butt is your business.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And here's what he said: The regular season is over. IF we can restart, we're going right to the playoffs. With the conference-based playoffs, it'll either be a bracket format or be determined by seedings. Winners in the qualifying round play the top seeds. The first 2 rounds will be best of 5. The conference finals and SCF will remain best of 7.

Under consideration for the two hub spots: Vegas, Toronto, Chicago, Columbus, Edmonton, Dallas, L.A., Minnesota, Vancouver and Pittsburgh.

As of now, Buffalo has a 6.5% chance of winning the #1 overall pick.