Thread: The Bills Defense gets some props

Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Post The Bills Defense gets some props

Keep in mind that this is an article written in a BALTIMORE paper...

Five Things We Learned from the Ravens’ 24-17 win over the Buffalo Bills

The Ravens delivered their most ragged offensive effort in recent memory.

The Bills deserve laurels for what they did to the NFL’s No. 1 scoring offense. They combine a bruising front with one of the league’s best defensive backfields, and they played with terrific discipline in maintaining a net around Jackson whenever he looked to improvise. The Ravens quarterback came in averaging 7 yards per carry but picked up just 40 on 11 attempts in Buffalo.

Buffalo’s tenacious resistance aside, the Ravens did not finish drives as sharply as they have for most of the season.

On their first possession of the game, Andrews could not pull in a long pass in traffic on second down, and Jackson sailed his third-down throw over an open Seth Roberts.

On their second possession, the Ravens had second-and-4 from the Bills’ 12-yard line, but Justice Hill lost 6 yards after Jackson bobbled a shotgun snap (one of several such mishandles), and they had to settle for a field goal. This was an unfamiliar lapse for an offense that came in fifth in the NFL in red-zone touchdown percentage.

In the second quarter, Jackson threw high on a short pass to Willie Snead IV, who deflected the ball into the hands of Bills linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. Only an impressive stand by the Ravens defense kept that mistake from leading to points for Buffalo.

The Ravens’ struggles extended to play calling. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has operated with a magic touch for most of the season but not in this game. In the second quarter, Roman called for a direct snap to Mark Ingram II on second-and-goal, doing the defense a favor by effectively removing the threat of Jackson from the play. Ingram went nowhere, though the Ravens did score on the next down. In the third quarter, Jackson completed a screen pass to Marquise Brown for an 8-yard loss, which is hard to do and a sign of how easily the Bills read the play. A few minutes later, Roman called for a pass on third-and-2 that led to a wild, back-pedaling incompletion.

The Ravens converted just three of 11 third-down attempts after coming in with a league-best 48.9% success rate. When they got the ball with a seven-point lead and seven minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, they went three-and-out.

We’ve learned over the past two weeks that as versatile and creative as the Ravens are with Jackson engineering Roman’s offense, they can’t simply show up and trample the league’s best defenses.

More
    For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,396 Times in 4,739 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills Defense gets some props

With 9 of 11 new starters on O, I wondered about the O.. and I still do.

The D has carried this team. One of the best.
    "When I'm with you girl I get an extension.. and I don't mean Alexander Graham Bell's invention."

4. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (12-09-2019),jimmifli (12-09-2019),justasportsfan (12-09-2019)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,398 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

Yep, the best offenses in the NFL have played together for years. Buffalo's offense has played together for 13 games. With all the money they have, they should be able to keep as many players on the roster as they want. I hope with a few upgrades on Defense. Baltimore's Defense is what I want to see Buffalo's eventually look like. That's a championship Defense

6. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (12-09-2019),Mace (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

Absoltely!

In the words of the famous boxer, Jack Jenkins, “don’t take this ass whipping personally”
    GO BUFFALO!!

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,253 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Yep, the best offenses in the NFL have played together for years. Buffalo's offense has played together for 13 games. With all the money they have, they should be able to keep as many players on the roster as they want. I hope with a few upgrades on Defense. Baltimore's Defense is what I want to see Buffalo's eventually look like. That's a championship Defense
    I want an offensive line like Andrew Luck's last year.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

9. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    I want an offensive line like Andrew Luck's last year.
    So would Josh.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Continued tweaks to the OL, an A-List WR, maybe another #2 CB, and re-signing Phillips and Lawson are my Christmas wishes. We can already win it all with this defense.

All in all, our roster is in better shape than I can remember. Really no gaping holes, just places we'd like to upgrade.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

12. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Great Post especially the reminder of 13 games played together on offense ..... so many new faces.

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,447 Times in 6,818 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They were extremely shortsighted on offense, no harm no foul if they correct it without ruining a career. It's not about a player. If they enhance the system next season, they did this right if too awkwardly.

I like this team, it's a really good defense, now finish finishing it or we meander back to blah, not on purpose. If we do meander back to blah, it's not fair to that defense, and McBeane blew it. This will be about the worst "almost" I've known in my lifetime.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.