Thread: UFO Sightings

Thanks
    Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

UFO Sightings

Anyone ever see one? I did. It was so fast there's not much to speculate about. It was around 38 years ago. As a young pastor, I was driving home from a meeting about 20 miles from home. The meeting was in Bolivar, NY for anyone familiar with the southern tier. Home was in Belfast. I was driving through the hills on the back roads. Suddenly there was a bright disc, maybe a 1/4 of the apparent diameter of the moon, and brighter than the moon. It was maybe 10 degrees above the horizon. As quickly as it appeared, it dove for the horizon and was gone. The whole episode lasted no more than a second. A college student from Houghton who attended the church I served was riding home from the meeting with me. He saw the same thing. As I said, it all happened too quickly, and it was too far away to really speculate about what it might have been. I don't think it was any kind of terrestrial aircraft or balloon. It didn't look like a meteor. I just have no idea.

So, do you have a UFO story?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

2. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-11-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,149 Times in 12,371 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: UFO Sightings

Not one that doesn't include weed or mushrooms.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (01-13-2020)

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,679 Times in 3,001 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I saw UFO at the Limelite in NYC 1995.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,282 Times in 2,312 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I saw one a couple of years ago. I was hiking around at dusk. I stopped to enjoy the silhouettes of a few mule deer on the hill above me. Took a picture and put away the phone as a gray shadow about the rectangular shape of a biplane, minus the tail, and about 5 miles away traveling a couple hundred miles an hour seemed to "float" on by. I watched it for 15 or 20 seconds drift along the ridgeline that was across the valley from me. There were no lights and no sound from any motor. It was cool and then I remembered my camera was back in my pocket after capturing the deer. So bummed...

7. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 784 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Anyone ever see one? I did. It was so fast there's not much to speculate about. It was around 38 years ago. As a young pastor, I was driving home from a meeting about 20 miles from home. The meeting was in Bolivar, NY for anyone familiar with the southern tier. Home was in Belfast. I was driving through the hills on the back roads. Suddenly there was a bright disc, maybe a 1/4 of the apparent diameter of the moon, and brighter than the moon. It was maybe 10 degrees above the horizon. As quickly as it appeared, it dove for the horizon and was gone. The whole episode lasted no more than a second.
    Do you recall what time this happened?
    Specifically was it just past sunset, within an hour or so, or the same interval before sunrise?

What you are describing sounds like a flash from an iridium satellite. I've seen them quite a few times and that is what they look like.
    Much like the ISS, which is visible all the time, either side of sunrise/sunset, if you have a vehicle with significant solar panels, when those panels are visible when it is dark on earth, but not at the height of the satellite.

Again, you can see the space station all the time. I always go out to watch it when the conditions are right, which is frequently at my place.
    He can get the exact time it is visible at your location here:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

To respond to your question, i have seen countless celestial phenomena in many decades and about 28,000 hours of flight, mostly at night over oceans or other really dark areas, and have never seen a UFO, nor talked to anyone who has, which would involve many hundreds of people who have done the same thing over many hundreds of thousands of hours.

Watching the solar system do its thing was what I enjoyed most about my career.

9. Post thanked by:

Oaf (01-18-2020),ticatfan (01-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Captain gameboy View Post
    Do you recall what time this happened?
    Specifically was it just past sunset, within an hour or so, or the same interval before sunrise?

What you are describing sounds like a flash from an iridium satellite. I've seen them quite a few times and that is what they look like.
    Much like the ISS, which is visible all the time, either side of sunrise/sunset, if you have a vehicle with significant solar panels, when those panels are visible when it is dark on earth, but not at the height of the satellite.

Again, you can see the space station all the time. I always go out to watch it when the conditions are right, which is frequently at my place.
    He can get the exact time it is visible at your location here:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

To respond to your question, i have seen countless celestial phenomena in many decades and about 28,000 hours of flight, mostly at night over oceans or other really dark areas, and have never seen a UFO, nor talked to anyone who has, which would involve many hundreds of people who have done the same thing over many hundreds of thousands of hours.

Watching the solar system do its thing was what I enjoyed most about my career.
    I don't recall specifically what time it was, but I'm thinking it was likely about 9 to 10 PM, probably a couple hours after sunset. I was generally heading north to go home and it was directly ahead of us. This happened in the early 1980s, too long ago for me to be able to reconstruct any more specifics than that.
    Last edited by TigerJ; 01-11-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,318 Times in 9,115 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In 97 when I graduated HS, a bunch of relatives from out of town came in for the party. Many had never been to Rochester so we were showing them the city. Back in the day, they used to do a laser light show on High Falls and we took everyone down there. Even though it was in the city, they had dimmed the streetlights for the light show and we could see the stars.

There were two lights that were brighter than the stars but didn’t appear much bigger that were hovering or moving in really tight circles- it was really hard to tell. Then, all of a sudden one shot off to the left and hovered in a different spot and the other quickly followed. This went on for about five minutes or so. There was no way to gauge the size or the shape- we could only see the light and the motion.

Then the light show started. When it was over, they were either gone or it was too bright to see when they turned the streetlights back on.

I have no idea what it was, but probably a dozen of my relatives and 20 or 30 strangers saw it too.

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Tailgunner Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Anyone ever see one? I did. It was so fast there's not much to speculate about. It was around 38 years ago. As a young pastor, I was driving home from a meeting about 20 miles from home. The meeting was in Bolivar, NY for anyone familiar with the southern tier. Home was in Belfast. I was driving through the hills on the back roads. Suddenly there was a bright disc, maybe a 1/4 of the apparent diameter of the moon, and brighter than the moon. It was maybe 10 degrees above the horizon. As quickly as it appeared, it dove for the horizon and was gone. The whole episode lasted no more than a second. A college student from Houghton who attended the church I served was riding home from the meeting with me. He saw the same thing. As I said, it all happened too quickly, and it was too far away to really speculate about what it might have been. I don't think it was any kind of terrestrial aircraft or balloon. It didn't look like a meteor. I just have no idea.

So, do you have a UFO story?
    No. Just a paranormal story. Two days before the love of my life died this guy came into our church's fellowship hall and says I need money to fly home. I have a funeral to get to in 2 days. Nobody had ever seen this person before and to my knowledge nobody has ever seen him since. Yeah, its probably just coincidence, but that I have a funeral to get to in 2 days, when she died two days later, has always weirded me out and honestly I cannot say for sure if he was a supernatural entity (messenger bringing a harbinger of death) or if he was a mere human, but damn it still haunts me.

13. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-12-2020),sahlensguy (01-11-2020)

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,582 Times in 6,889 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner Joe View Post
    No. Just a paranormal story. Two days before the love of my life died this guy came into our church's fellowship hall and says I need money to fly home. I have a funeral to get to in 2 days. Nobody had ever seen this person before and to my knowledge nobody has ever seen him since. Yeah, its probably just coincidence, but that I have a funeral to get to in 2 days, when she died two days later, has always weirded me out and honestly I cannot say for sure if he was a supernatural entity (messenger bringing a harbinger of death) or if he was a mere human, but damn it still haunts me.

Yeah, I have some of those too.

UFO...I was riding my bike back from Cheektowaga into Sloan, no drink or drugs, my house was over the plane path to the airport, you got used to the sound or the lights. Coming over the bridge, I saw nine of them going in all different directions, plane lights stayed in a direction. I figured I didn't really see it but it was in the paper next day.

Paranormal, oh I have a bunch that don't really have anything to do with with anything. Probably needs a different thread.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

15. Post thanked by:

Swiper (01-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,891 Times in 6,660 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One has to think that this recent headline is due to drone use:

UFO sightings in North America jumped to nearly 6,000 in 2019
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

17. Post thanked by:

Tailgunner Joe (01-12-2020),ticatfan (01-12-2020)

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,203 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Along time ago ,a buddy and I were driving the back roads. We did a hit of acid and were having some pints , when we seen it. 1 big light with a bunch if little ones around it. Then they took off like they were going to warp. We never said a thing, but the next day other people came forward with the same story.
    I admire china because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime.
    PM Justin Trudeau.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,255 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Along time ago ,a buddy and I were driving the back roads. We did a hit of acid and were having some pints , when we seen it. 1 big light with a bunch if little ones around it. Then they took off like they were going to warp. We never said a thing, but the next day other people came forward with the same story.
    This story defines you perfectly. Only thing missing is you yelling at some kids to get off of your lawn

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    This story defines you perfectly. Only thing missing is you yelling at some kids to get off of your lawn
    You are losing it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    One has to think that this recent headline is due to drone use:

UFO sightings in North America jumped to nearly 6,000 in 2019
    Drones could possibly explain what I saw if they could fly high enough- except for the fact that it was 1997.

Unless the government had drones in '97 and had managed to keep it hidden from the general populace, which to me is much more likely than alien spacecraft from beyond the moon....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Drones could possibly explain what I saw if they could fly high enough- except for the fact that it was 1997.

Unless the government had drones in '97 and had managed to keep it hidden from the general populace, which to me is much more likely than alien spacecraft from beyond the moon....
    No one said you, specifically, saw a drone. There was a well documented series of sightings around where I live (NYC/Catskills area) back in 1983. My wife, from the Bronx, said they all saw it, followed it down the road, crisp clear delineated they saw the lights on the vessel. Followed it until it suddenly disappeared. In the Bronx of all places!

Hundreds upon hundreds of reports of lights above the tops of buildings moving, colors, no sound...

Look at this link: http://www.ufo-hunters.com/sightings...%20July%201983
    Last edited by Swiper; 01-14-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

And those Japanese candles I think they are called. The ones you light on fire and they float away, till they burn out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    And those Japanese candles I think they are called. The ones you light on fire and they float away, till they burn out.
    what I saw definitely wasn't that because they moved in different directions very quickly and followed each other.

26. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (01-16-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    No one said you, specifically, saw a drone. There was a well documented series of sightings around where I live (NYC/Catskills area) back in 1983. My wife, from the Bronx, said they all saw it, followed it down the road, crisp clear delineated they saw the lights on the vessel. Followed it until it suddenly disappeared. In the Bronx of all places!

Hundreds upon hundreds of reports of lights above the tops of buildings moving, colors, no sound...

Look at this link: http://www.ufo-hunters.com/sightings...%20July%201983
    On what I saw, each UFO was only a single light, but they also appeared to be really high off the ground where our eyes wouldn't be able to distinguish individual lights.

I have a hard time believing that what I saw was a drone too, because the batteries powerful enough to run something like that but light enough to move like that didn't exist at the time, or at least weren't known to exist. That being said, I find it easier to believe that the military had drones and battery power that weren't available to the public in 1997 than believing that I saw alien spacecraft.

28. Post thanked by:

ticatfan (01-16-2020)