Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Roster Analysis

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,138 Times in 12,363 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2020 Roster Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Say, I don't know about anyone else, but it sure would be fun to read some roster analysis by Yardrat, or even feldspar at this point.
    QB---Need a young arm for camp, maybe compete with Webb for PS. Day 3 draft pick or UDFA.
    RB---Without Gore, lacking leadership in the room. Need a back-up and better use by Daboll of the backs.
    FB---Probably stuck with DiMarco for another season.
    TE---I think they like their TE crew and aren't going to be shopping or drafting one high.
    WR---Will be looking for a 'legit' to plug in with Brown and Beasley.
    C-G-OT-The only way to upgrade who they already have is to pay (overpay?) somebody from a weak free agent class, and they really don't have to. They probably could roll with the acquisitions from this past season and be better in '20.
    DT---Might need to replace Phillips.
    DE---Need an impact-type athlete on the edge. High priority this off-season.
    OLB---Personally I think the LBers are weak, especially losing LorAx and I'm underwhelmed by Milano. Probably a bigger priority for me than it is the team.
    MLB---2020 is Edmunds' year to work into the POTY discussion, just need depth.
    CB---Need another starter, and depth. Could approach corners this year like they did WR and Oline last.
    NKL---Taron and Siran are good here, but depth they pick up should be able to play here as well as outside.
    S---Good mix of experience and youth.
    PK---LS---P---Hauschka will get another year, Ferguson is locked, I think they need an upgrade over Bojangles.

The free agent class this year is pretty weak, I'd be surprised if they pull any Morse-type deals this year even though they have the money.
    Considering the number of free agents and who is coming due, the most money may be spent on our own.

Edge and cornerback are the biggest needs on defense...WR and RB on offense.

Overall this roster is in a much better position than it has been in a long time, outside of the couple of exceptions listed previously McD and Beane really do have a luxury of being judicious bringing in more talent, with 'best player available' being a bigger part of the focus than 'need'.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-27-2020),The last buffalo fan (01-28-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think they re-sign Phillips or Lawson. Or Gore. Or exercise the club option on Long. The defensive linemen are going to be too expensive, Gore is probably done, and Long's contribution can be replaced with somebody cheaper and younger. I think they offer all of the RFA/ERFA, and should re-up Waddle and (especially) Spain for the offensive line. Everybody else (Marlowe...Stanford...etc) can be brought back cheap to compete for spots in camp.

2020 ROSTER ANALYSIS

UNDER CONTRACT -(41)---OWN FA/RFA/ERFA-(13)---RESERVE/FUTURE-(11)
    (Total prior to free agency/draft = 65)

QB---Allen...Barkley...Webb
    RB---Singletary...Yeldon...Perry...Wade
    FB---DiMarco
    TE---Knox...Kroft...L.Smith...Sweeney...Croom...Becker
    WR---Brown...Beasley...Roberts...D.Williams...McKenzie...Foster...Easley...McCloud
    C---Morse...
    G---Feliciano...Boettger...Spain
    OT---Dawkins...Ford...Nsehke...Bates...Waddle...Solako
    DT---Star...Oliver...H.Phillips-IR...Taylor...Liuget
    DE---Huges...Murphy...Johnson...Love-IR...Woodard
    OLB---Milano...Thompson...Joseph-IR...M.Alexander...Dodson...Phillips
    MLB---Edmunds...Stanford
    CB---White...K.Johnson...Wallace...Lewis
    NKL---T.Johnson...Neal
    S---Poyer...Hyde...J.Johnson...Coleman...Marlowe
    PK---Hauschka
    LS---Ferguson
    P---Bojorquez...Vedvik

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Tailgunner Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    POSSIBLE FREE AGENT TARGETS

RB--Carlos Hyde...Peyton Barber...Kenyan Drake
    WR--AJ Green...Laquon Treadwell...Brashard Perriman...Devin Funchess...Ricardo Louis (RFA)...Kendrick Bourne (RFA)
    LT--DJ Humphries...
    RT--Daryl Williams...Jack Conklin

DE--Leonard Williams...Vic Beasley...Chris Jones...Yannick Ngakoue
    DT--Tim Jernigan...Austin Johnson...A'Shawn Robinson...Jarran Reed...Vernon Butler...Danny Shelton
    OLB--Carl Nassib...Jordan Jenkins...Nick Vigil...De'Vondre Campbell
    CB--Daryl Worley...James Bradberry...Kendall Fuller
    I don't see us breaking the bank for free agency, but I do think we take a flyer on Conklin and Drake

5. Post thanked by:

Woodman (02-14-2020)

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner Joe View Post
    I don't see us breaking the bank for free agency, but I do think we take a flyer on Conklin and Drake
    Is Drake healthy thought he had a few concerns maybe someone else.

Always liked Drake.
    Terms of Conduct & Service

Round 1 with the 22nd pick Buffalo selects :

Cesar Ruiz ( Interior lineman Michigan)

In the words of the famous boxer, Jack Jenkins, ďdonít take this ass whipping personally"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like Hyde if he's cheap unless there is a 5th or 6th rounder that can get short yardage. This team needs a LeGarrette Blount type.

I like the idea of Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper as a TE red zone threat to go along with the two rookies. They were smart with Kroft's contract and I think he will be gone.

I'd rather they draft a WR given what is available. Same with Edge Rusher

Keep Lawson

Webb or Barkley are fine but they should consider a vet with some starting experience to mentor and compete with Allen.

I like Phillips but it seems like he may be a luxury and should probably be treated as one.

Sign a swing RT/G to compete with Ford

Sign or draft a corner to compete with Wallace.

boom. go to war.

8. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-28-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Some 'under-the-radar' free agents...

RB---David Fluellen, Dwayne Washington
    WR---Demarcus Robinson, Tajae Sharpe
    TE---Eric Tomlinson, Blake Bell

DE---Emmanual Ogbah, DeMontre' Moore, Ronald Blair
    DT---Hassan Ridgeway
    OLB---Tyurell Adams, Kentrell Brothers
    ILB---Tyler Matakevitch, Nick Kwiatkowski
    CB---Cyrus Jones (big ??), Anthony Brown

10. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-28-2020)

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Some 'under-the-radar' free agents...

RB---David Fluellen, Dwayne Washington
    WR---Demarcus Robinson, Tajae Sharpe
    TE---Eric Tomlinson, Blake Bell

DE---Emmanual Ogbah, DeMontre' Moore, Ronald Blair
    DT---Hassan Ridgeway
    OLB---Tyurell Adams, Kentrell Brothers
    ILB---Tyler Matakevitch, Nick Kwiatkowski
    CB---Cyrus Jones (big ??), Anthony Brown
    maybe a few of these guys will be wearing Bills uniforms.

Tajae Sharpe is interesting.

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,580 Times in 6,887 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

QB---Need a young arm for camp, maybe compete with Webb for PS. Day 3 draft pick or UDFA.
    RB---Without Gore, lacking leadership in the room. Need a back-up and better use by Daboll of the backs.
    FB---Probably stuck with DiMarco for another season.
    TE---I think they like their TE crew and aren't going to be shopping or drafting one high.
    WR---Will be looking for a 'legit' to plug in with Brown and Beasley.
    C-G-OT-The only way to upgrade who they already have is to pay (overpay?) somebody from a weak free agent class, and they really don't have to. They probably could roll with the acquisitions from this past season and be better in '20.
    DT---Might need to replace Phillips.
    DE---Need an impact-type athlete on the edge. High priority this off-season.
    OLB---Personally I think the LBers are weak, especially losing LorAx and I'm underwhelmed by Milano. Probably a bigger priority for me than it is the team.
    MLB---2020 is Edmunds' year to work into the POTY discussion, just need depth.
    CB---Need another starter, and depth. Could approach corners this year like they did WR and Oline last.
    NKL---Taron and Siran are good here, but depth they pick up should be able to play here as well as outside.
    S---Good mix of experience and youth.
    PK---LS---P---Hauschka will get another year, Ferguson is locked, I think they need an upgrade over Bojangles.

The free agent class this year is pretty weak, I'd be surprised if they pull any Morse-type deals this year even though they have the money.
    Considering the number of free agents and who is coming due, the most money may be spent on our own.

Edge and cornerback are the biggest needs on defense...WR and RB on offense.

Overall this roster is in a much better position than it has been in a long time, outside of the couple of exceptions listed previously McD and Beane really do have a luxury of being judicious bringing in more talent, with 'best player available' being a bigger part of the focus than 'need'.
    Well thanks for finally getting back to us. I've already completed my analysis, which I'll post in a few weeks.

Agree besides Milano and CB and OL, all to some extent.

I'm not sure Kevin Johnson and Bates aren't ready to step up if they get to play, even Duke Williams. As much as I respect Lorax, I don't know another edge or LB can't make up more skill, if not leadership, to put some focus on Milano. He's a gem, imho in coverage, rush, playmaking, with a bookend olb.

I really hope they don't bite heavy into FA. That's a good bunch of money for extensions if they can manage a good draft for pipeline.

WR, Edge, RB, some well scouted pipeline OL, and this could be a frosting on a baked cake draft. That other LB slot could be Joseph. They primarily play a 4-2 nickel, or big nickel, and it's largely working if they remember how to tackle and not by the shoulders if they're not sent into a soft prevent in OT of a playoff game.

The OL was largely just fine if there was some coordination of the offense.

This should be a finishing touches draft, without much FA need.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

13. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-28-2020),YardRat (01-27-2020)

I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?" The last buffalo fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Say, I don't know about anyone else, but it sure would be fun to read some roster analysis by Yardrat, or even feldspar at this point.
    I can't understand your interest, Yardie may be looking deep into his pants, while feldspar could be getting a face treatment. Let's read yours.
    The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

15. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-11-2020)

I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?" The last buffalo fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

POSSIBLE DRAFT TARGETS
    4-118
    RB AJ Dillon,BC...WR Chase Claypoole,ND...OT Trey Adams,Washington...TE Colby Parkinson,Stanford

Do you think he may last this far-long?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,888 Times in 6,658 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Has anyone suggested re-signing Askew in this thread yet?
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-11-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Agree besides Milano and CB and OL, all to some extent.
    I don't know what's wrong with Milano, I like him a lot, but it seems like he has a HUGE problem tackling (angle, technique, etc.), and or sometimes he looks too light and gets pummeled by rivals.

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-11-2020),Woodman (02-14-2020),YardRat (01-28-2020)

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Milano has the heart but has he already reached his peak?

22. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-29-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The last buffalo fan View Post
    Do you think he may last this far-long?
    Depends on the combine and pro day. There's going to be a lot of movement over the next few months, plus it's a deep WR year...there will be some talent to be had on Day #3

24. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-29-2020)

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Always excited for our prospects ....... including all the inaccurate Mocks yet to come.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Depends on the combine and pro day. There's going to be a lot of movement over the next few months, plus it's a deep WR year...there will be some talent to be had on Day #3
    Listening to OpI-ND fans, and watching his youtube highlights I like more this lil dude, here is to draft him in rounds 2 to 4th!

27. Post thanked by:

Woodman (02-14-2020)

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Listening to OpI-ND fans, and watching his youtube highlights I like more this lil dude, here is to draft him in rounds 2 to 4th!
    3rd would be awesome but that's probably to risky to wait.

Lots of talent this year at the WR position.

Fingers crossed we get a great one.

29. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-03-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

POSSIBLE DRAFT TARGETS

1-22
    WR Tee Higgins,Clemson...WR Laviska Shenault,Colorado...CB CJ Henderson,Florida...CB Trevon Diggs,Alabama...OT Mekhi Becton,Louisville...DE Yesur Gross-Matos,PennSt...DE K'Lavon Chaisson,LSU

2-54
    DE Terrell Lewis,Alabama...WR Brandon Aiyuk,ArizonaSt...WR Michael Pittman JR,USC...OT Isaiah Wilson,Georgia...CB Jaylon Johnson,Utah

3-86
    LB Mahlik Harrison,OhioSt...LB Markus Bailey,Purdue...WR Van Jefferson,Florida...CB Cameron Dantzler,MissSt...OL Sahdik Charles,LSU...G Tyler Biadasz,Wisconsin

4-118
    RB AJ Dillon,BC...WR Chase Claypoole,ND...OT Trey Adams,Washington...TE Colby Parkinson,Stanford

5-138 & 150...6-169, 182 & 186
    S JR Reed,Georgia
    LB David Woodward,UtahSt...LB Jordan Mack,Virginia...LB Justin Strnad,Wake...
    WR Tyler Johnson,Minnesota...WR Juan Jennings,Tennessee
    DT Devon Hamilton,OhioSt...DT Raquan Williams,MichSt
    DE Michael Divinity,LSU
    RB Trey Sermon,Oklahoma
    OT Jack Driscoll,Auburn...OT John Runyan,Michigan...OT Evin Ksiezarczyk,UB
    I think we draw 8 guys max...lose a pick or two this year moving around, probably gain a couple of 2021's.

Gross-Matos replace Shaq and could be the playmaker on the edge we're currently missing. Dude has size, power and speed.

Pittman could step right into the starting line-up with Brown and Beasley. Not a flyer or the most accomplished route-runner, but strong and athletic enough. Good blocker too. I've seen Rd 3 projections but he just feels like a guy Beane moves up in the second to make sure he gets.

Dantzler is a little taller than the team's apparent metric profile for CB, but he can play man and zone. He'll compete for PT, not a starting gig right away.

Dillon is a thumper to compliment Singletary. If Daboll can figure out how to use RB's.

Reed, Mack and Williams are depth and special teams, maybe we get lucky with one.

Ksiezarczyk is a complete, unabashed homer pick for personal reasons. If Buffalo doesn't call his name I hope somebody else will.

31. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-18-2020)

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,580 Times in 6,887 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know what's wrong with Milano, I like him a lot, but it seems like he has a HUGE problem tackling (angle, technique, etc.), and or sometimes he looks too light and gets pummeled by rivals.
    They honestly all do when you least expect it. They try tackling by the shoulders or wave an arm at a leg, which is kind of inexcusable for a fundamentals team based on defense. At some point they all start going for the legs again, then forget and go back to slap tackling. It's not just Milano. That's why I can't think of them as a completed, elite defense. All those power runs that decimate us, or yards after a catch, you see guys batting at people running past them. You'd think they just realized, then it happens again and McDermott is on the sidelines golf clapping for encouragement instead of yelling about how you tackle people since Pop Warner.

In that last Houston game I kept thinking "why isn't anyone screaming on the sideline". They should be, it's the playoffs and what's going on there ? You aren't going to win by slap tackling a shoulder pad.

Hm, anyway, it's not just Milano, it's the whole defense. This shouldn't be an issue going on 4 years into a program with a mature defense.
    Last edited by Mace; 02-11-2020 at 02:40 AM.

33. Post thanked by:

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 908 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They honestly all do when you least expect it. They try tackling by the shoulders or wave an arm at a leg, which is kind of inexcusable for a fundamentals team based on defense. At some point they all start going for the legs again, then forget and go back to slap tackling. It's not just Milano. That's why I can't think of them as a completed, elite defense. All those power runs that decimate us, or yards after a catch, you see guys batting at people running past them. You'd think they just realized, then it happens again and McDermott is on the sidelines golf clapping for encouragement instead of yelling about how you tackle people since Pop Warner.
    In that last Houston game I kept thinking "why isn't anyone screaming on the sideline". They should be, it's the playoffs and what's going on there ? You aren't going to win by slap tackling a shoulder pad.
    Hm, anyway, it's not just Milano, it's the whole defense. This shouldn't be an issue going on 4 years into a program with a mature defense.
    Just to play devil's advocate, you barely get to practice in pads at all let alone at full speed taking guys to the ground. In my opinion, the change to the practice rules has been the biggest reason for a league wide problem. Not just Buffalo.

35. Post thanked by: