#29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,909 Times in 8,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Draft Network Simulator. Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I like Ridgeway a lot.
    He sort of reminds me of a latter day Smerlas. We don't run a 3-4, but let's finally face it, we want a 3-4 NT at the one DT spot to really make it work. Phillips is great for rotation, I've never been good with Lotulelei, but both are still pseudo NT's. Get a real one.

3. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-21-2022)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is it more that the good (not great) ones are higher on 3-4 teams draft boards than those of 4-3 teams?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,044 Times in 3,655 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A few years ago, I did an All-Small School draft. It was kinda cool. OK, I took Paxton Lynch in the 1st, but ended up taking Mahomes in the 1st the next year, so it didn’t matter. In that draft, I also ended up with Javon Hargrave, Matt Judon, Tyler Higbee and Nick Vigil. Who says you can’t find talent in the smaller schools?

This year, without realizing is, my first 5 picks were all from the SEC, with 6 SEC picks overall. Only one small school pick.
    I did a draft a few days ago and liked/like it. But in a redo, Damone Clark was available with the 2nd round pick. (More on him later). As is turns out, most of the guys I picked in my first draft were available later.

'Anyway…

Kenyon Green - IOL, Texas A&M -

Yeah, this pick was done before cutting Feliciano. Probably the best interior OL in the draft. A load and a road grader, who is still good in pass pro. Keep him on the inside and he’s a Pro Bowler. People wanted to upgrade the interior of the line…there he is.

Damone Clark ILB LSU –

Can play like a guided missile. 4.58 in the 40 at the combine.and is shows when he plays. Def. can come up with the big play. A huge INT against Florida to seal an upset, a huge sack against Texas A & M. 157 tackles in 2021 and was voted the best LB at the Senior Bowl. Can play overly aggressive at times. Can get beat by overpursuing at times…like…you know who. On the other hand, you probably won’t see him giving up on a play like..you know who. At worst, you might get You Know Who for a cheaper price.

Alontae Taylor CB Tenn –

Noted as a leader, good at his position, considered by some as one of the top CB’s in the SEC. 4 year starter, team leader. I had him in the 2nd..but was still there in the 3rd. He was a good pick in the bottom of the 2nd…a better pick at the bottom of the 3rd. And he runs a sub 4.4 40.

John Ridgeway NT ARK

when I moved other players down a round, I missed out on the big NT from Iowa State. Ridgeway is the consolation prize. He’s going to be a rotational player anyway. You guys have already talked about him.

Danny Gray WR SMU -

I like his highlights. He can fly and is great on both the underneath routes and fly patterns. He’s a little over 6 feet so he’s not a midget and runs a sub 4.4 40. A faster McKenzie and another tool in Allen’s toolbox.

D’Vonae Price RB Florida International

No..that is NOT the same school Motor, who went to ATLANTIC, not INTERNATIONAL. (as if it really maters anyway) And he’s about about as different from Motor as he can be. He’s a 6.2” 215 lb RB who ran a 4.39 40 at the combine. He can knock back a LB for extra yards and can take it all the way when a crease opens. He runs straight up and is 6'2 so he's not going to be hiding behind an OL. He's got some COD skills but not what you would call shifty. Very productive season last year, aided by a number of long runs.

Matt Hankins CB Iowa

four year starter, team leader, good athlete who has worked on his coverage skills throughout his career. Worth a shot at this stage.

Chance Campbell LB Ole Miss

Here is where draft evaluations can be funny. Damone Clark is considered a superior athlete for the position. Chance Campbell is considered a limited athlete. But when you put his combine numbers up against Clark’s, they are nearly identical. 40 time and broad jump are identical (both good numbers) and Campbell’s vertical is 3 inches higher.

It reminds me of the year JJ Watt came out of Wisconsin. I liked him because was unblockable in college. But his combine/pro day numbers were excellent and were very close to Mario Williams’ I remmeber mentioning that and Draftboy said something like, “he’s no Mario Williams” Well, he was right…Watt was better, much, much better. Sometimes those numbers verify what yo u see. After a guy tests, you say, “oh..that’s why he’s unstoppable.

Campbell only played a year at Ole Miss but had over 100 tackles, and helped turn a bad Ole Miss defense around in 2021 after transferring from Maryland. I think Beane and McD appreciate a difference maker.

Nick Ford IOL Utah

1st team All Pac 12, his NFL draft evaluation process yielded a 3rd round slot, possibly in the 2nd..so taking him here is kind of a no brainer. He’s played just about every position along the line, including center, so he can fill in in a pinch.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-10-2022),YardRat (03-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,771 Times in 15,697 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like Clark, Ridgeway and Ford a lot.

If I can't get Dean in the first I'd be very happy with Clark in the second.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-10-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    Is it more that the good (not great) ones are higher on 3-4 teams draft boards than those of 4-3 teams?
    I think most 4-3 teams don't draft single purpose linemen. They don't have singular penetrator and singular two gapper (another glaring scheme weakness imho) roles. Most pure NT's are not real versatile, so most 4-3 teams won't bother with them.

Also imho, the McFrazier tries middlin' it. Lotulelei is not a pure NT, so they'd tell you "ah, see, he's lighter and can do more things !", when in reality he can't, and they don't ask him to anyway. Phillips fits that theoretical hybrid NT role better, but I don't know it's of any use. I mean, they aren't any kind of brick wall at the point of attack like with a pure NT, and they don't envelop the point of attack like you'd expect the hybrid theory to react.

I just think they need to stop middlin' it and get a guy who really serves the purpose.

10. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-11-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The more I think about it, this is just a failsauce defense for the modern game besides playing crap teams. If you get a pure two gapper they'll run away from it into the zone stressed linebackers, if you get a real pass rusher, they'll go the other direction at the zone stressed linebackers, if you get both you still have the zone stressed linebackers and probably safeties playing deep to exploit the short quick pass because you know the cb's are going to drop and there is always 5 yards of nothing available if you do it right, and a playmaker will make it 10 before anyone gets to him.

Meh.

Thanks
    Thanked 27,771 Times in 15,697 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, what a difference the combine makes in how the autopicks play out.

Zion Johnson, OL Boston College...all of the interior dline and Nakobi Dean were off the board. Lloyd was still there, but I took a chance the kid from LSU would be around in the second and the BPA was the best interior oline on the board.

Damone Clark, LBer, LSU...whew. Wanted an MLB badly and IMO after Clark the drop off is pretty steep. I'll be pretty comfortable with Damone starting out of the gate, anybody behind him not so much.

James Cook, RB, Georgia...all-around back, good receiver, good vision. Not going to pound for too many yards but could be a playmaker.

Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati...athletic, intelligent, decent in run support.

Punter...I honestly can't find one. The better kickers don't hold, the ones that hold either kick aussie-style or don't look like anything special. I'll leave this one up to my assistant Beane.

Chris Paul, and Luke Fortner, IOL...I like both these guys and they are available early in the sixth and seventh. BPA for me.

Tyquan Thornton, WR Baylor...I got him in the sixth. Speed. He's fast. Speed. Did I mention he's fast?

Tyrone Truesdell, IDL, Florida...kind of a risk, not going to post flashy stats, but is used to filling the thankless anchor role against top competition (played three years for Auburn also.)

Fanspeak...soooooo different, everybody I covet was still available in the first, including Dean.

Jordan Davis, DL, Georgia...Beane loves his freaks, may be a little bit more risky boom or bust then some, but Brandon can't stop drooling over this guy.

John Metchie, WR, Alabama...nice playmaking addition to the room, runs a sub-4.4 40 and may actually play faster.

Alec Lindstrom, C, Boston College...future replacement for Morse, can play swing G/C for a season or two before taking over. Fits the 'athletic' not 'mauler' model McBenae seems to prefer.

Damone Clark, LBer, LSU...really don't see him lasting past the second round but he's here, so...

Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA...Knox-light, much better receiver than blocker, could be a weapon in 2 TE sets and a complement to Dawson.

Ryan Stonehouse,P, Colorado State...Beane bailed on me for the rest room, so I had to cover for him. There's our punter.

Josh Williams, CB, Fayetteville...a little too tall for the Bills physical profile (6'2") but he was the best player on the field consistently in D2 and showed well at the Senior Bowl.

Chris Paul, G, Tulsa...an interior linemen to groom for the future.

James Houston, LBer/edge, Jackson State...dominated for Deion Sanders, who compared him to Micah Parsons. 70 tackles, 24.5 for a loss, 16.5 sacks, 10 qb hits and an int. Wow.

13. Post thanked by:

cookie G (03-31-2022),Mace (03-12-2022)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Draft Network:

25. Kenyon Green G, Texas A&M - Best pass protecting G in the class and effective in the second level. More wins at the LOS means more points and dominant possession.
    57. Kenneth Walker III RB, Michigan St. - Singletary is a poor man's Walker. The luxury is the speed to go with the horsepower. Our offense is complete.

89. Cam Taylor-Britt CB, Nebraska - The most underrated CB in the draft. Nebraska kept games close with excellent defense against several ranked teams only to watch their offense give the game away. Taylor-Britt was their best defender. He's pro-ready.

130. Kahlil Shakir WR, Boise St. - The Bills can jump on the wide back train with this kid. We love McKenzie but this guy is simply more talented and there is no loss in on/off field excellence. This is a good football player and a good human being.

168. Montaric Brown CB, Arkansas - Scheme fit and has upside. Has a chance to eventually start.

185. Micah McFadden LB, Indiana - More instinctive than Edmunds and never stops. Lacks ideal length but makes up for it by seeing the play faster.

203 Amar'e Barno DE, VA Tech - Speed rusher who is very raw and possesses huge upside from a size-speed specimen.

231. Stuart Reese G/T, Florida - Another versatile lineman but may need to stay at guard unless it's an absolute emergency. Profiles slot like Bates, actually.

15. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-28-2022)