Thread: ONTARIO TEACHER STRIKE: 7 facts you NEED to know

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,199 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

ONTARIO TEACHER STRIKE: 7 facts you NEED to know

The Ontario teachers’ strikes are proving to be more acrimonious than anyone expected. Some Elementary teachers have now opted out of sending report cards to parents, and have already begun to engage in rotating strikes.

The Ontario government, on the other hand, have offered up to $60 per day for parents who are feeling the fiscal consequences of the strike, and rumours of back to work legislation is being floated around the corridors of Queen’s Park.

The teachers’ strikes are deeply consequential and have affected the day-to-day lives of 13 million Ontarians who live in the most populace province in Canada. Due to the vast impact this strike, and the mainstream media’s lack of balance in the coverage (often siding with the unions and tecahers), The Post Millennial has compiled a list of things you need to know about the Ontario teachers’ strikes.

1. Ontario’s teachers are among the highest paid in the country

Ontario’s teachers are among the best paid in the country. In the Greater Toronto Area, for instance, top teachers can expect to get paid up to $96,000 a year. The average salary for a teachers in Ontario is $89,300 for elementary teachers and $92,900 for high school teachers. In contrast, the average Ontarian earns $55,000 per year.

2. Ontario teachers are taking more and more sick days

A 2017 study found that teachers have been taking more and more sick days over the past five years. On average, sick days have increased by over 30 percent. In 2020, another report revealed even starker results with teachers taking 70 percent more sick days than over a decade ago.

3. Teachers get a whole lot of time off

Ontario’s teacher’s have a pretty great job. Not only do they get paid a wage that is far higher than the average Ontarian, they also get a lot of time off. Due to breaks in the school year, teachers are allowed three whole months off, on top of the aforementioned sick days.

4. Teachers’ Unions are spending big bucks to win the PR war

So far, the OSSTF has spent $336,389 on Facebook ads alone. These ads usually attack the Ford government and have been running since June. In one week alone, they spent over $40,000. They’re also waging a war of words against Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce through the mainstream press.

5. The Ontario government has already made concessions, but unions won’t meet in the middle

Premier Doug Ford has offered numerous concessions to the teachers’ unions from the government’s initial demands. Ford, for example, offered to meet the teachers half-way on classroom size. This, however, was not good enough for the teachers, and they walked away from the negotiation table. They’re also refusing to send report cards to parents and help out in after school activities, despite claiming the strikes are primarily for the students, not their pay cheques.

6. Ontario’s students are flunking math tests

If you’re going to teach mathematics to a new generation of students, you should probably have to prove that you have some basic ability to do so. This hardly unreasonable request, however, created some tension with the teachers’ unions. Despite EQAO tests showing all-time lows, the unions were upset that teachers had to score at least 70 percent in a math test.

7. Ontario’s debt is astronomically high

After a decade of Liberal government, Ontario’s debt stands at over $350,000,000,000. This figure constitutes one of the highest sub-national debts in the world. Due to this, the Ford government is trying to cut back public sector salaries, which means slowing down the rate at which teachers are paid. Teachers in Ontario also have what many experts consider to be a great pension package.
    https://www.thepostmillennial.com/on...-need-to-know/
    I admire china because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime.
    PM Justin Trudeau.

Registered User SupremeParentHater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: ONTARIO TEACHER STRIKE: 7 facts you NEED to know

lol

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yup. Pretty sad.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Yup. Pretty sad.
    yeah, you posting this IS pretty sad

5. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (01-24-2020)

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Tailgunner Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fascinating, I have never encountered a conservative from Canada or Republican from the United States who ever had anything good to say about teachers, professors, or other educators. Why is that?

7. Post thanked by:

Blondie (01-24-2020),Haile SpikedLemonade (01-24-2020),notacon (01-24-2020),SupremeParentHater (01-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,890 Times in 5,871 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner Joe View Post
    Fascinating, I have never encountered a conservative from Canada or Republican from the United States who ever had anything good to say about teachers, professors, or other educators. Why is that?
    Without the poorly educated, right-wingers wouldn't have a base.

Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

9. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (01-24-2020),Historian (01-25-2020),Tailgunner Joe (01-24-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Actually it is not just the teachers, it is the union. And that union is very powerful. And when it comes to government unions they get what they want. They say the gov is hurting the kids, well it is the union that been striking and keeping kids out of school since I was there. A 2% raise is another 750m on the books, which means 10000 teachers end up with $3000 raise. But when paying 100grand ,you expect good marks not failing marks. Teachers have some legit gripes, but they have become to use to just striking and the gov caves, well this one is not caving on the raise. 1% is good enough for now. But I have never meant a liberal that had balls to stand up to these greedy lazy people. Parents cant complain for fear of little johny getting failed and the teachers cant complain in fear of what the union will do to them. But when the union leader tells the gov this is what we want and you better start raising taxes to get the money, people are getting pissed off.

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Tailgunner Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Actually it is not just the teachers, it is the union. And that union is very powerful. And when it comes to government unions they get what they want. They say the gov is hurting the kids, well it is the union that been striking and keeping kids out of school since I was there. A 2% raise is another 750m on the books, which means 10000 teachers end up with $3000 raise. But when paying 100grand ,you expect good marks not failing marks. Teachers have some legit gripes, but they have become to use to just striking and the gov caves, well this one is not caving on the raise. 1% is good enough for now. But I have never meant a liberal that had balls to stand up to these greedy lazy people. Parents cant complain for fear of little johny getting failed and the teachers cant complain in fear of what the union will do to them. But when the union leader tells the gov this is what we want and you better start raising taxes to get the money, people are getting pissed off.

Wow, Tyke confirms my point. Conservatives and Republicans are against teachers because education leads to empowerment and informed people who are capable of rational thought and critical thinking. They hate Unions because those allow people to come together for a better deal. Okay, this leads to a follow up question, why do Conservatives hate people and organizations that empower the average person? Why do they worship at the cult of the rich, and oppose their own best interests?

12. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (01-24-2020),SupremeParentHater (01-24-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, Tyke confirms my point. Conservatives and Republicans are against teachers because education leads to empowerment and informed people who are capable of rational thought and critical thinking. They hate Unions because those allow people to come together for a better deal. Okay, this leads to a follow up question, why do Conservatives hate people and organizations that empower the average person? Why do they worship at the cult of the rich, and oppose their own best interests?
    Tell the truth for once will ya. Sorry but teachers are not worth 100 grand after 10 yrs. I imagine many American teachers wish they had half of what they get, and they probably produce better students. When I have to teach a grade 11 student how to make change, something is wrong.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

hey ticat if you think teaching is so easy why dont you do it

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeParentHater View Post
    Classrooms have far fewer chemicals he can inhale for a buzz than there are in a hardware store

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeParentHater View Post
    That would be an AWESOME class.

It would just be a full semester of him yelling about how kids today can't work the cash register in a hardware store.

17. Post thanked by:

SupremeParentHater (01-24-2020),Tailgunner Joe (01-24-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

AND ANOTHER THING, EH! CAN'T ANY OF YOU HOSERS BREAK A DAMN LOONIE?

19. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-25-2020),SupremeParentHater (01-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,832 Times in 4,223 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wingnuts HATE, and I mean HATE...and FEAR, an educated populace. They like 'em dumb and racist.

21. Post thanked by:

ckg927 (01-24-2020),Tailgunner Joe (01-24-2020)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,997 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm just going to leave this here. (Yes, I KNOW I have stated I'm not a big fan of polls.)

From Polling Canada...

When asked "Who do you mainly back during the education strikes: the Ontario government or the teachers' unions?", those who were polled backed the unions 57%-30%.

And when broken down by party...

Ontario Liberal: 80%-11% unions
    Ontario Progressive Conservatives: 72%-22% government
    Ontario NDP: 87%-9% unions
    Ontario Green: 64-14% unions

(The poll itself was done by Ekos on January 19th with 634 respondents, with a 3.9% margin of error.)
    "Do I have everybody's attention now?" -CM Punk, Monday Night RAW, 7/11/2011

"I will tell anyone who doesn't like the fact that I march to the beat of my own drummer: Kiss my ***. Stay the hell out of my way."
    -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 10/29/19

23. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-25-2020)