Thread: Will the Bills become NFL's new Evil Empire?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,362 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Will the Bills become NFL's new Evil Empire?

The NFL's new evil empire: who will replace the Patriots as league supervillains?

With New Englandís dynasty apparently reaching its endgame, the search if on for the team that fans love Ė or love to hate.

There is just something about rooting against a team isnít there? Sure, there is joy in watching your own team win. But thereís an extra tinge of satisfaction when that lot loses. For the last two decades, that evil empire has been the New England Patriots. Unprecedented success. Unprecedented scandals.

But with the Patriots dynasty on its last, wheezing breath, the league is in danger of losing its national match-up maker. And it is those national villains who make ratings boom. Fans want to see their team go through that team. Neutrals want to cheer against them. So who will step up to take New Englandís place?

New England Patriots

OK, maybe we havenít seen the last of them. New Englandís run is coming to an end, but itís not over quite yet. Thereís a world in which Tom Brady skedaddles this offseason and the Patriots enter rebuild mode. Thereís also a more likely one: the Patriots roll it back for another season, replenish a threadbare roster, and are one of the best teams in the league for another year or two, leading to even more frustration for the neutrals. When will this thing be over?

Thereís also a third path. The best way for the Patriots to recapture that sense of antagonism would be to rebuild and go again without Brady. The Patriots with Brady are dispiriting enough at this point, but at the age of 42, itís clear the end is in sight. If New England moved on from Brady and added a young, solid quarterback like, say, Teddy Bridgewater, and went on to win another division title and another AFC crown, the collective brains of NFL fans from New Jersey to Los Angeles would explode.

Kansas City Chiefs....

Dallas Cowboys..............

Philadelphia Eagles

Buffalo Bills
    A wildcard team. The Bills are among a cast of fanbases right now with a disproportionate belief in their quarterback, Josh Allen. If youíve spent any time in the recesses of NFL Twitter you will know thereís an ongoing feud between the so-called ďBills MafiaĒ and the football nerds, those who study analytics and breakdown game film. The snark filling the conversation is second to none. Every throw is painstakingly analyzed by both sides and apportioned a career-defining meaning.

It is fantastic theatre. As Allenís career continues to bloom, he will continue to polarise. If his career hits lift-off, there will still be those in analysts chairs who refuse to relent on their pre-draft position. If Buffalo remains excellent in spite of Allen (and their coach is as good as it gets), then the analysts will continue to take a victory lap.

And BTW - this is from a British paper
    "If You Remember the í60s, You Really Werenít There" ~ unknown

2. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 786 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Will the Bills become NFL's new Evil Empire?

There was definite Bills fatigue among Joe Blow NFL fan in the 90s. But we were still lovable in our horrid losses.

I think we'd all take being the next evil empire in a heart beat because of what we'd have to have accomplished to get to that point. If we did start rattling off a few Superbowl wins, the Bills Mafia and this team as a whole would probably be NFL darlings for quite a while before the fatigue factor kicked in for the average fan. These are all big "ifs". FOr it to happen, Allen would have to become elite. We'd need another miniature overhaul on the offense to succeed. And we'd have to keep the Defense playing at its current level.

I'm not holding my breath. My very highest expectation for this team is that we somehow have a lightening in the bottle kind of year and go on a little rampage in the playoffs. Under that scenario i could see the Bills winning the superbowl just like i could have seen Tennessee do it this year. It's really not that absurd. Once you make the playoffs you need to go on a four (preferably three) game winning streak and you get to hoist the Lombardi. It "could" happen to anyone that makes it to the dance.

It is difficult to even imagine the kind of sustained success that it would take to be considered an evil franchise by average fans given what we've been through these last 20 or so years. I'd bet $5 on it because why not? No more though.
    Last edited by Jimkelly12203; 02-12-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Thanks
    Thanked 18,278 Times in 9,093 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's hard to imagine anyone ever being Patriot level supervillians again. Of course, anyone who's not a fan of the best team always wants to see that team lose, but I've never seen this type of universal vitriol against a team like there is against the Pats.

I think there are several reasons:
    1. Every team has more fans when they're winning, but their fan base was non-existent until they started winning. It's epic level bandwagoning. The only thing I can think of that's even close is the Washington Capitals.
    2. They've been caught cheating, and accused of cheating in ways for which they've never been caught. Short of the Houston Astros, whose story just broke, there's never been a champion so tainted by scandals.
    3. Their arrogance is over the top, even in a profession known for egos.
    4. They've been on top for so long that even the people who don't despise them got ****ing sick of them.

It's a situation that's never really existed before and it's hard to see anything similar happening again. They're the ultimate supervillains and I don't see anyone else coming close in the foreseeable future.

5. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (02-13-2020),The last buffalo fan (02-12-2020)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,482 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd like to see a playoff victory before I go declaring Buffalo anything but a team that kicks me in the nutsack repeatedly every year.

7. Post thanked by:

Historian (02-12-2020),OpIv37 (02-12-2020),The last buffalo fan (02-12-2020),Wally The Barber (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,824 Times in 4,217 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only “Evil Empire” (what a stupid name) for the Bills is always going to be one of the teams in their division.

I suspect that Miami is setting up to renew it’s role as the team to hate. Especially when Brady and Belichick are gone.

9. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-12-2020),ublinkwescore (02-15-2020)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,482 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The only “Evil Empire” (what a stupid name) for the Bills is always going to be one of the teams in their division.

I suspect that Miami is setting up to renew it’s role as the team to hate. Especially when Brady and Belichick are gone.
    Miami does look like they might know what they are doing.

The Jets just look like a team that is winging it.

11. Post thanked by:

notacon (02-12-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I'd like to see a playoff victory before I go declaring Buffalo anything but a team that kicks me in the nutsack repeatedly every year.
    As someone who's surrounded by people who aren't Bills fans, there isn't any hatred or vitriol from fans of non-division teams because we haven't been good enough to piss anyone off. If anything, they half-ass root for us when we're not playing their team because they know the fans deserve it.

If we start winning playoff games, I'm sure that will change quickly, but as of right now, it's hard to imagine anyone seeing the Bills as a "villain."

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,763 Times in 1,319 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

images-1.jpg

The Reign Ends!
    Terms of Conduct & Service

In the words of the famous boxer, Jack Jenkins, ďdonít take this ass whipping personally"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Miami does look like they might know what they are doing.

The Jets just look like a team that is winging it.
    I think Miami is going down the right path but they're still a year or two away from being any real threat.

The Jets are always just winging it. It's like they're throwing darts blindfolded. Occasionally they get close to the bullseye, but they never actually hit it and usually they're way off.

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Only by winning can we grow the hate.

imgres.jpg

Let's get that done.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Willing to part with my left one without anesthetic if we do.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am hopeful for a Super Bowl win in the next few years, and I think the Bills will bwe comptitive, and in the playoffs more often than not for the foreseeable future, but I don't think the NFL is set up for the presence of a dynasty to be the norm. Thus I don't expect Buffalo will be one, or Kansas Cty or San Francisco or___________ (fill in the blank).
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At this point outside of their fanbase and maybe AFC East teams, I believe that the Bills are pretty much irrelevant to fans in other NFL cities.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I think Miami is going down the right path but they're still a year or two away from being any real threat.

The Jets are always just winging it. It's like they're throwing darts blindfolded. Occasionally they get close to the bullseye, but they never actually hit it and usually they're way off.
    Miami is in total overhaul mode. It will be more than 1 year or 2. Can’t build a team solely by drafting one.

as far as the question... couldn’t they work on the empire part first?

Hall of Fame Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    Willing to part with my left one without anesthetic if we do.
    ok it's all set then.

should I wish you luck?

21. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (02-15-2020)

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You f***ING better.

23. Post thanked by:

Woodman (02-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 536 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I SURE HOPE SO....
    Floyd Lawson was my hero

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd rather be the next Steelers than the next Patriots. Pittsburgh has been competitive to championship quality forever. Since the merger, they have only had fewer than 6 wins once and only 7 seasons below .500! I want that! By contrast, Buffalo has more losing seasons over the last 11 years than Pittsburgh has in 47 years.
    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 02-19-2020 at 09:02 PM.

26. Post thanked by:

notacon (02-20-2020)