Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mocking The Bills: Brandon Beane Gets His Man

Thanks
    Thanked 9,676 Times in 4,901 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mocking The Bills: Brandon Beane Gets His Man

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    In that Bills mock, I see in the 4th round the Bills are picking Anthony McFarland Jr. a smallish running back. What's surprising is that he is the son of a retired 300 lb defensive tackle, Anthony "Booger" McFarland.
    Booger had him sleep in a short bed and smoke Winstons to stunt his growth.
    " When we were young, we were poor. But that didn't stop us from being miserable."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,840 Times in 3,537 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Well, its time the QB with the golden arm learns how to complete a pass over 20 yards. There's no reason he can't.

The real waste is keeping the entire game in a 10 yard window because your QB hasn't figured out how to hit a deep target on occasion. No amount of a running game or "big receiver" is going to help that type of game.

It didn't work for DIck Jauron, it didn't work for these guys and it won't work in the future. Unless you can back safeties off, or give CB's a moment of pause, or are able to take advantage of play action, you're going to just be a predictable, low scoring team.

You can try to design an offense without deep passes, realizing it hasn't worked in 30 years...or you can train your QB to throw them on occasion accurately.

What's easier? Teaching astronauts to drill? or turn oil well drillers into astronauts?
    Tyrod's offense scored 400 points by threatening to run the ball down your throat and then hitting the deep pass. Josh showed a reasonable short game that required teams to press and stack the box, if he had a deep ball the offense would have been average.

Also Josh doesn't throw to guys that are covered. So a big guy that can win contested catches is going to be underutilized. I'd rather have another small fast guy that gets separation. I'd like this pick. On the other hand, if you could get Diggs using that pick package, I think I'd take him and his current level of production over a rookie.

3. Post thanked by:

Oaf (02-24-2020),The last buffalo fan (02-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,443 Times in 3,147 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lamb is another potential target, Iím thinking if Beane sees a superstar then itís probably worth it. Also, a 1st & Second same year can get you into the 16th slot or so, donít think we need to add the 4th pick (which makes this more palatable)

5. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,443 Times in 3,147 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Hm, interesting question entirely dependent on the individual proclivities of the subjects and circumstantial cognitive development combined with physical factors. I knew an accountant who could do compound interest in her head and tripped over cracks in the sidewalk, a janitor who could beat me at chess, and a bodybuilder who could do more pushups than either but cooked better than both.

One has to consider the theoretical discrepancy in objective potential across a range of interrelated......oh never mind.
    Is your real name Northup ??

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Also Josh doesn't throw to guys that are covered. So a big guy that can win contested catches is going to be underutilized. I'd rather have another small fast guy that gets separation. I'd like this pick. On the other hand, if you could get Diggs using that pick package, I think I'd take him and his current level of production over a rookie.
    True, but that's only because he has accuracy and timing issues. If JA is going to be our franchise QB, he's going to have to overcome this, otherwise we'll be back to the beginning looking for another QB with a high draft pick.

We already have small guys that can get separation... we saw that last season. Adding another quick and/or fast guy isnt going to do much for him. He needs a possession type of receiver that catches with his hands.

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    Lamb is another potential target, I’m thinking if Beane sees a superstar then it’s probably worth it. Also, a 1st & Second same year can get you into the 16th slot or so, don’t think we need to add the 4th pick (which makes this more palatable)
    I like Lamb a lot, and I think he's going to be the first WR taken over Jeudy. I just dont see any of those 2 lasting into the 16th spot. JAX and ARI both need WRs, so we'll need to leap frog them to the #7 to get Lamb or Jeudy... probably too expensive.

10. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    True, but that's only because he has accuracy and timing issues. If JA is going to be our franchise QB, he's going to have to overcome this, otherwise we'll be back to the beginning looking for another QB with a high draft pick.

We already have small guys that can get separation... we saw that last season. Adding another quick and/or fast guy isnt going to do much for him. He needs a possession type of receiver that catches with his hands.
    Adding the type of receivers he throws too will help him more than adding the type he won't/can't. Play to his strengths, he makes quick reads and gets the ball out fast when the guy has separation. And he doesn't need to be as accurate. Maybe 5 years from now he'll be accurate, but he's not now, and the defense is good enough to win a SuperBowl if the offense could score some points.

12. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-21-2020),YardRat (02-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,822 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Also Josh doesn't throw to guys that are covered. So a big guy that can win contested catches is going to be underutilized.
    that was true which is most likely why Duke was on the bench but he threw a ton to Duke while he was covered in the texans game.

14. Post thanked by:

I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?" The last buffalo fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll have my beer cold and my mind open, hopefully they get "their guy" and ends up being "our guy" too, as now our FO seems to know what they are doing.

But WOULD LOVE to pick a WR, the best one available!!
    The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

16. Post thanked by:

Woodman (02-24-2020)

Thank You, Terry and Kim. Now, Please Turn the Bills Back into an NFL Franchise. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 419 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I continue to feel that predicting draft picks is absolutely futile until we get through the free agent free-for-all. If we get a stud receiver - our biggest need - in FA, we'll probably go Edge, LB, or CB in the 1st. Guessing at this point is fun - but pointless.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

18. Post thanked by:

Night Train (02-21-2020),The last buffalo fan (02-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,017 Times in 6,322 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    We would really be moving up 5 spots in the first round in return for giving up our 86th and 149th picks. Like all of these deals, it would be a question that would only be answered in a few seasons.
    Not really. I can answer it now. It would be a waste of draft picks since there WILL be a receiver that grades out as well as Ruggs at 22.

...or maybe we can move up into the top ten and take Sammy Watkins.

...oh wait!!!
    Alrighty then

Thanks
    Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,098 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Hm, interesting question entirely dependent on the individual proclivities of the subjects and circumstantial cognitive development combined with physical factors. I knew an accountant who could do compound interest in her head and tripped over cracks in the sidewalk, a janitor who could beat me at chess, and a bodybuilder who could do more pushups than either but cooked better than both.

One has to consider the theoretical discrepancy in objective potential across a range of interrelated......oh never mind.
    How you do go on.

You could have just told me to shut the F up, like Michael Bay did to Ben Affleck on the set of Armageddon.

21. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I don't disagree with what you're saying, but Allen is who he is. We draft Ruggs, we waste his talent and after 4 years he likely just goes elsewhere in FA to try and show why he was a guy who was highly thought of in 2020. Because we all know that this franchise is gonna ride out Allen for at least 2 more years.
    I have a feeling he can improve these aspects of his game. Physically, there is no reason why he can't. On the deep ball, he often doesn't put enough air under the ball. Many have noticed it. If we've noticed it, I'm sure his QB coach, his offseason QB guru and even he has noticed it. Some offseason work on this could do wonders.

I think Jimmi brought up a really good point about him not wanting to throw to WR's who aren't open. So this is an area where, if he doesn't improve on that aspect, the possession type receiver would also be a waste. I don't think you can pick your WR based on what he presently can't do.

Remember, he came out early, with little QB experience and a raw skill set. He had so many things thrown at him, an NFL playbook, reading an NFL defense, footwork issues..his learning curve is pretty high compared to others. On the good side, he's demonstrating, in flashes, improvement in a number of areas. After the first NE game, he stopped throwing those jump balls off his back foot that led to turnovers. Earlier in the year, he was missing on the inside slants, but then started hitting them. Same with some of his deep passes.

He was improving on some of his faults, and I think that's a very good sign.

If he doesn't, the offense goes nowhere, regardless of who is brought in around him.

23. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (02-24-2020),The last buffalo fan (02-24-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod's offense scored 400 points by threatening to run the ball down your throat and then hitting the deep pass. Josh showed a reasonable short game that required teams to press and stack the box, if he had a deep ball the offense would have been average.

Your second paragraph is a very good point. That is another area that needs to be improved upon, or the WR addition would be a waste.

I"m really not married to one type of receiver, I prefer to look at the player rather than the type of player. Some of the bigger WR's in this class can certainly get open deep and aren't limited to the 10 yard comeback throw. A guy like Ruggs certainly wasn't "just" a deep threat, there's plenty of footage of him catching a short pass over the middle and taking it for a ton of extra yards. And I would definitely be happy with a guy like Diggs, especially if the asking price is a second.

Maybe part of it is spite... in all of the Mahomes threads in the past...you'd hear someone say, "Well, look at who Mahomes has to throw to, he has Tyreek Hill!!". (Actually we have a Hill-Lite in John Brown). Well, if you get Ruggs, you very well could have your Hill.

25. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's been Joe Biden's dream all of his life to be the democrats nominee for President of the United States of America it's just a shame he's not here to enjoy it.

Terms of Conduct & Service

With the 22nd pick Buffalo selects :

Cesar Ruiz ( Interior lineman Michigan)

27. Post thanked by:

Night Train (02-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Last offseason, the
    Buffalo Bills added wide receivers John Brown and Cole Beasley in free agency to overhaul their wide receiver corps, eventually shipping out former second-round pick Zay Jones. While signing two starting receivers in free agency worked last year, this is the year Buffalo should pull the trigger on younger talent in the draft.

https-::www.buffalorumblings.com:2020:2:24:21150624:opinion-buffalo-bills-should-forego-free-agent-wide-receiver-to-add-via-2020-nfl-draft

29. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Your second paragraph is a very good point. That is another area that needs to be improved upon, or the WR addition would be a waste.

I"m really not married to one type of receiver, I prefer to look at the player rather than the type of player. Some of the bigger WR's in this class can certainly get open deep and aren't limited to the 10 yard comeback throw. A guy like Ruggs certainly wasn't "just" a deep threat, there's plenty of footage of him catching a short pass over the middle and taking it for a ton of extra yards. And I would definitely be happy with a guy like Diggs, especially if the asking price is a second.

Maybe part of it is spite... in all of the Mahomes threads in the past...you'd hear someone say, "Well, look at who Mahomes has to throw to, he has Tyreek Hill!!". (Actually we have a Hill-Lite in John Brown). Well, if you get Ruggs, you very well could have your Hill.
    I'm with you on not locking into the type of receiver. There are lots of big guys that get separation as well as win contested catches. But right now, the key traits should be: ability to beat the jam at the LOS, ability to get separation, low drop rate. If the guy checks those three boxes I don't really care about his size or speed. But if he con't do those three things, does it really matter how big or fast he is?

31. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think Jimmi brought up a really good point about him not wanting to throw to WR's who aren't open. So this is an area where, if he doesn't improve on that aspect, the possession type receiver would also be a waste. I don't think you can pick your WR based on what he presently can't do.
    I'm not sure it's a preference thing. I think it's trusting his placement. ie he doesn't trust his ability to place the ball in the right spot for the receiver to win. And I don't think his assessment is wrong. He just ins't consistently accurate enough to place the ball into tight coverage where his receiver will have a reasonable catch rate.

I do think his accuracy improved a ton during last offseason, and even as his second season progressed. So maybe it won't be an issue in September, but it probably will be. So let's set him up with as many easy throws as possible, and let him learn to throw to covered guys over the next few years. He's OK working short and medium depth already, if he adds the deepball, he doesn't need to be able to throw to covered guys for the offense to improve. Just having a deep ball will help.

33. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I like Lamb a lot, and I think he's going to be the first WR taken over Jeudy. I just dont see any of those 2 lasting into the 16th spot. JAX and ARI both need WRs, so we'll need to leap frog them to the #7 to get Lamb or Jeudy... probably too expensive.
    If Lamb makes it to AZ that's as far as he goes....Kyler will be pulling hard for him, and it's hard to see Kliff Kingsbury passing up the chance to add an elite playmaker to that offense
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,669 Times in 6,931 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How you do go on.

You could have just told me to shut the F up, like Michael Bay did to Ben Affleck on the set of Armageddon.
    Never would. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger, and you don't tell Cookie to shut the F up.

You might be right, though I still think their biggest problem is Daboll and his peculiar play calling habits. Looking through this draft, I don't really see any reason they can't get a small speedster and a big guy who can run near a 4.5 to both add another target and start a foundation to last beyond Brown/Beasely. This is really a potent WR draft into the mid rounds.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

36. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-26-2020)