Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would Bernie choose as VP?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Who would Bernie choose as VP?

So go the Independents and they are the majority so goes the election.
    It's been Joe Biden's dream all of his life to be the democrats nominee for President of the United States of America it's just a shame he's not here to enjoy it.

Terms of Conduct & Service

With the 22nd pick Buffalo selects :

Cesar Ruiz ( Interior lineman Michigan)

2. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-17-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,291 Times in 12,450 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    She did win some offices as well and was a tax lawyer.
    I think she's been elected to one office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    So what does?
    That's kind of what I'm asking.

She has a known name. She is intelligent. Southern. Female. Black.
    So she's been on tv, and demographic traits that have nothing to do with governing/representing.
    A lot of that would be good for Sanders
    Based on your qualifiers, so would Serena Williams (just FYI, she's as "southern" as Abrams...SW born in Michigan, SA born in Wisconsin)...would she be good for Sanders too?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I disagree.

The same people that voted in Barack Obama twice, and Donald Trump once are looking for anybody....ANYBODY who talks about helping the struggling middle class.

Obama did very little, and Trump was a flat out liar about it.

The only one in the current crop is Sanders.

It wouldn't surprise me if he won the whole damn thing.
    I've had the opinion that he missed out on a 'perfect storm' opportunity when the DNC screwed him over in '16, and his time was past...he wouldn't be able to duplicate it.
    I'm right about him getting screwed, but I'm hoping I'm wrong that his window was closed.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,917 Times in 6,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Kamala Harris would make a lot of sense for him
    I get why you would say that. Superficially she checks the female and minority boxes for the ticket, however her political philosophy is disparate to Sanders.

She would also bring a legal backround and a West coast presence. I think she makes more sense for Joe Biden than Sanders.
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

Purge to country of conservatives.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    Bernie is the ONLY PERSON that stands a chance of beating Trump.

EVERYONE ELSE is a guaranteed LOSER.
    I think hes got a worse chance of winning than Biden or Warren. Hes toooooo far left for the majority of Americans.

7. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (02-17-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    She did win some offices as well and was a tax lawyer.

A very smart negro.
    Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,769 Times in 3,060 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I think he’s got a worse chance of winning than Biden or Warren. He’s toooooo far left for the majority of Americans.
    Donald Trump is president and Americans still support him.

The old school metrics people use to determine electability are useless.

10. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (02-18-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think hes got a worse chance of winning than Biden or Warren. Hes toooooo far left for the majority of Americans.
    America needs someone who will drag them kicking and screaming out from under the thumb of the 1%.

Bernie is a stubborn SOB and he might be the one who can actually do it.

The Republicans use guns and fear to convince everyone the wealthy actually give a ****.

The US reminds me of France just before the French Revolution.

12. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (02-17-2020),Haile SpikedLemonade (02-18-2020),Historian (02-17-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bernie is too progressive for most Democrats and independents. Its not going to matter who his running mate it, theyre not voting for him. Where do you think that leaves Trump for the next 4 years?

I understand where Bernie is coming from but America isnt ready for our taxes to be significantly raised while giving the government more control, especially over your health. I doubt most Americans even trust the government to appropriate the money appropriately (ha say that fast 3 times).
    This is completely wrong.

You don't make enough money to have your taxes raised.

The government control of health care is a myth old frightened Americans repeat.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,490 Times in 4,534 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post

The government control of health care is a myth old frightened Americans repeat.
    Everyone's taxes would have to be raised to fund M4A or something similar. The rich, the middle and the poor.

Again, other countries who have universal healthcare also have higher sales taxes. Higher sales taxes affect everyone across the board. And that's only one example. We'll go with Canada on income taxes, their lowest tax bracket is 15% whereas in the US the lowest is 10%. So income taxes will likely be raised across the board. 15% > 10%.

These "free" programs that only economically impact the rich negatively is the real myth.

15. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-18-2020)

Zero for Zero!
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,862 Times in 7,014 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Everyone's taxes would have to be raised to fund M4A or something similar. The rich, the middle and the poor.

Again, other countries who have universal healthcare also have higher sales taxes. Higher sales taxes affect everyone across the board. And that's only one example. We'll go with Canada on income taxes, their lowest tax bracket is 15% whereas in the US the lowest is 10%. So income taxes will likely be raised across the board. 15% > 10%.

These "free" programs that only economically impact the rich negatively is the real myth.
    There is a difference between raising taxes and economically impacting people negatively

For example, taxes could (and likely would) go up. But people would be spending less on insurance and healthcare.

Overall, many people would save money
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

17. Post thanked by:

Canadian'eh! (02-18-2020),Haile SpikedLemonade (02-18-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's an over-simplification. Changing the brackets doesn't necessarily equate to paying higher taxes because of the possibility of also including additional offsets (deductions).

Realistically, especially when considering taxes, a 15% tax bracket could actually be less costly than 10%.
    Last edited by YardRat; 02-17-2020 at 09:42 PM.

19. Post thanked by:

Canadian'eh! (02-18-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A healthy population would be more productive and less of a financial burden.

Sounds like a good investment, Those that prefer the "winners" and "losers" model will whine about it.

21. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (02-18-2020),Tailgunner Joe (02-18-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is a difference between raising taxes and economically impacting people negatively

For example, taxes could (and likely would) go up. But people would be spending less on insurance and healthcare.

Overall, many people would save money
    The real poor of this country would save nothing and be nothing but negatively impacted.

That would be those people who are already on Medicaid.

64 million people in this nation are on Medicaid, which is just under 20% of the population.

And then seniors would also be negatively impacted. Those are the people on Medicare. They pay 1600 total for the year for Medicare coverage. Sure some need supplemental insurance for the gaps, but there are free options for them already. Undoubtedly a tax raise would negatively impact them.

44 million people are on Medicare, which is about 14% of the population.

So, a M4A or Universal Healthcare system, would negatively impact over a third of our population. The third who are either poor or on a very fixed income.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,822 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think he’s got a worse chance of winning than Biden or Warren. He’s toooooo far left for the majority of Americans.
    I dont think Sanders alone will make voters who didnt show up to vote for Hillary want to get out and vote for him.

24. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-18-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    That's an over-simplification. Changing the brackets doesn't necessarily equate to paying higher taxes because of the possibility of also including additional offsets (deductions).

Realistically, especially when considering taxes, a 15% tax bracket could actually be less costly than 10%.
    I was using Canada as an example because their tax rates are close-ish to ours. Here's the other thing with Canada and income taxes. The average income tax refund in Canada is 1400, the average income tax refund in the USA is 3000. The poor in this country are offered EITC, a credit that can be as much as 6,557 dollars here in the US. In Canada their similar credit is the Working Income Tax that's only worth up to 1,868 dollars.

But go to Denmark, since that's the Bernie go to nation, and their lowest possible income tax rate is 31.2%

See, no one seems to care or worry about taxing the rich more and think it's fine when it comes to these programs and safety nets. What they don't think about is that the effects of furthering these programs and safety nets is that taxes on all will be raised to generate the revenue required to fund further programs and safety nets.

Realistically if you're funding more programs, you need to raise more revenue. You're not going to give people a tax break to try and fund those extra programs as other countries who do have those programs show.

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was using Canada as an example because their tax rates are close-ish to ours. Here's the other thing with Canada and income taxes. The average income tax refund in Canada is 1400, the average income tax refund in the USA is 3000. The poor in this country are offered EITC, a credit that can be as much as 6,557 dollars here in the US. In Canada their similar credit is the Working Income Tax that's only worth up to 1,868 dollars.

But go to Denmark, since that's the Bernie go to nation, and their lowest possible income tax rate is 31.2%

See, no one seems to care or worry about taxing the rich more and think it's fine when it comes to these programs and safety nets. What they don't think about is that the effects of furthering these programs and safety nets is that taxes on all will be raised to generate the revenue required to fund further programs and safety nets.

Realistically if you're funding more programs, you need to raise more revenue. You're not going to give people a tax break to try and fund those extra programs as other countries who do have those programs show.
    You're not using criteria that actually says anything though.

Tax refunds...tax rates...tax credits...none of that actually indicates how much people are paying in taxes to support the system. Smaller refunds could = smaller periodic upfront contributions, not a higher tax burden. We've already established tax brackets on their own mean little.

Yeah health care is going to cost but if it's set up right (unlike the Obamacare disaster) it can be done without additional burden to the elderly, poor, young workers etc.

People need to stop looking at health care as a burden, but rather a wise investment like infrastructure and education.

27. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (02-18-2020),Haile SpikedLemonade (02-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post

How would my taxes not be raised? If we completely reformed our tax code (which I’m not opposed to), how would the amount I pay not go up? Everyone’s would.

And sorry, but if you think the government would have your health at the top of the list, your sadly mistaken. First of all, who is going to pay the docs to continue to perform their delicate surgeries? If you tell them they’re pay will be capped at a certain amount because the govt won’t pay that much, you’re going to run out of docs willing to do their job.

Not to mention, wait times and stipulations one must meet before being authorized a surgery or even a simple appointment.

I’m not opposed to M4A by any stretch of imagination, I just don’t see how, in our lifetime, our country makes a significant change necessary for it to work.

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Tailgunner Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I've had the opinion that he missed out on a 'perfect storm' opportunity when the DNC screwed him over in '16, and his time was past...he wouldn't be able to duplicate it.
    I'm right about him getting screwed, but I'm hoping I'm wrong that his window was closed.
    I would not rule out him being able to win just yet. Do keep in mind that in 2016 that he did not have a Liz Warren being planted to take votes away from him. I think if she drops out before Super Tuesday that he has a very good shot at this this. Warren is a fraud who was astroturfed onto the electorate solely to derail Sanders and he is still coming out on top of the voting regardless of what little green testicles and jrotc cadet stoned kettle have to say.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,368 Times in 12,487 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How would my taxes not be raised? If we completely reformed our tax code (which I’m not opposed to), how would the amount I pay not go up? Everyone’s would.

And sorry, but if you think the government would have your health at the top of the list, your sadly mistaken. First of all, who is going to pay the docs to continue to perform their delicate surgeries? If you tell them they’re pay will be capped at a certain amount because the govt won’t pay that much, you’re going to run out of docs willing to do their job.

Not to mention, wait times and stipulations one must meet before being authorized a surgery or even a simple appointment.

I’m not opposed to M4A by any stretch of imagination, I just don’t see how, in our lifetime, our country makes a significant change necessary for it to work.
    It works in Canada.

You have to pay billions to blood sucking insurance companies.

We don't.