Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POSSIBLE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC? Canadians told to be prepared

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

POSSIBLE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC? Canadians told to be prepared

As novel coronavirus outbreaks spread across a growing list of countries, Canadians are being warned to prepare for a possible pandemic.

In a shift from previous messages, Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Theresa Tam acknowledged Monday that Canada may no longer be able to contain and limit the virus if it continues to spread around the world. She said governments, businesses and individuals should prepare for an outbreak or pandemic.

“We are coming to similar conclusions,” agreed Dr. Vera Etches, the City of Ottawa’s top health officer, on Monday. “It looks like it is going to be more and more difficult to contain this virus and it may well evolve into a pandemic. That would change the efforts to contain every last case and contact.”

Etches said people can take steps now, at home and at work, to prepare.

Some of those steps include stocking up on needed prescriptions ahead of time so there is no need to do so during a possible pandemic. She also recommended people stock up on non-perishable food.

“Imagine if someone was ill for a week. What would you need?”

She said there are ongoing discussions about setting up an assessment centre outside of hospitals to reduce pressure on the health system.

“The global risk situation is evolving,” said Tam, noting that the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, has grown beyond its epicentre in China to include rapid community spreading in several countries. “The window for containment is closing. These signs are worrisome.”

She made the comments shortly after Ontario and British Columbia confirmed their latest cases of novel coronavirus, bringing the Canadian total to 11. In Ontario, a woman in her twenties, who returned to Toronto after travelling in China, is the latest presumptive case. The patient has only mild symptoms and has isolated herself, say Ontario health officials.

Health officials are also tracing contacts after a woman arrived in Vancouver from Iran, by way of Montreal, with novel coronavirus. A man who was a close contact of the woman, has been confirmed as the country’s 11th case.

Iran is now home to an epidemic with 13 confirmed deaths, according to the government. Italy is the site of Europe’s first outbreak. The country locked down at least 12 communities and cancelled a Venice carnival after six deaths as of Monday. South Korea also has a growing outbreak as do a number of other countries.

On Monday, Tam said it’s possible novel coronavirus is present in countries that don’t have the capacity to detect and monitor it, which makes trying to identify potential cases coming into Canada at the border increasingly difficult.

Countries like Canada have, so far, succeeded in identifying and containing the virus to a few, mostly mild, cases. But if there are more and more countries involved, she said, the border measures used to identify potential cases might no longer be effective or feasible.

“This is something we have to be prepared for.”

Tam said the quickly evolving situation tells Canada and other countries “that we have to prepare in the event of more widespread transmission in our communities.”

Given the global situation, Tam said it will be very difficult to stop the virus from spreading, but slowing it down is Canada’s goal.

Delaying the onset of a broader outbreak in Canada could put it beyond seasonal flu and virus season, which would take pressure off the health system and give officials and individuals more time to prepare.

A delay would also allow health officials to better understand the novel coronavirus and give researchers more time to look for treatments.

“We are trying to push past winter respiratory season. That will help a lot.”

The World Health Organization is telling countries to prepare as if COVID-19 is a pandemic, although it has not declared it one.

Etches, meanwhile, said people should be prepared in the workplace as well, by ensuring someone else is available to take on necessary tasks if an employee is sick.

Etches and other health officials continue to encourage people to wash their hands regularly and practice keeping their hands away from their faces to prevent spread.

There have been no cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa. To date, 25 people have tested negative. Etches said one or two people come to the attention of Ottawa Public Health every day and are assessed as to whether they meet the case definition for testing.

In Ontario, 540 potential cases have tested negative, nine are under investigation, three cases have not been resolved and there is one new presumptive positive. British Columbia has had a total of seven cases.

Meanwhile, the remaining Canadians repatriated from Wuhan and quarantined at Trenton Air Base are due to head home. In Cornwall, at the Nav Centre, 129 Canadians are being quarantined after having been evacuated off the Diamond Princess cruise ship. In Japan, 48 Canadians who were aboard the cruise are being treated for symptoms of COVID-19. Thirty four of the former passengers are hospitalized, said Tam, two of them in critical condition.

Globally, there have been 79,331 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 77,262 of them in China. There have been 2,595 deaths in China and 23 deaths outside China, with cases in 30 countries.

More information about novel coronavirus is available on the Ottawa Public Health website at: ottawapublichealth.ca/en/public-health-topics/novel-coronavirus.aspx
    https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...4-84c2330c305d
    “Preparing for pandemics, wars, climate crises and other out-of-the-box events is precisely why open-ended deficit spending during booms is dangerous.”
    - National Post, March 4, 2020

2. Post thanked by:

ckg927 (02-26-2020),denverboz (02-26-2020),TigerJ (02-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 Times in 2,331 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: POSSIBLE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC? Canadians told to be prepared

Never heard of it...

Pucker up, Buttercup
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,071 Times in 2,744 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good informative post Ticat.

The CDC here today issued a warning for people to start preparing, saying it's not a matter of 'if"a pandemic occurs, it's 'when'. At about the same time our woefully ignorant president is saying everything's under control, and spring will kill the virus off.

Larry Kudlow, his economic advisor said it's 99% contained.

Wtf

And of course Trumps mad jihad to undo everything Obama also disabled and did away with vital health programs and agencies set up in light of the Ebola outbreak to deal with plans of action against pandemics.

They are so behind the right ball right now, the markets see it and are reacting and showing its displeasure. It's an old, old maxim, ' the market hates uncertainty'. And they know the President lies and so don't trust him.
    promote the general welfare..........

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Tailgunner Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Still say its overhyped. Yes, take precautions, wash hands, thoroughly cook meat, don't eat foods in poor rural areas of China where people by economic necessity have to eat anything, and all that, but compared to say influenza its not really all that its being reported to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,490 Times in 4,534 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Remember when Bird Flu was going to be the next big pandemic? How about SARS? What about Swine Flu?

Just another thing to add to the list of overhyped fear mongering.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,647 Times in 9,915 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Canada handled SARS with no major issues.

They will handle this as well.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,077 Times in 3,065 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

I have more confidence in Canada's ability to handle this matter than I do this country's.
    "Do I have everybody's attention now?" -CM Punk, Monday Night RAW, 7/11/2011

"I will tell anybody who doesn't like the fact that I march to the beat of my own drum, and it's real simple: Kiss my ***. Stay the hell out of my way."
    -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 10/29/19

9. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (02-26-2020),Historian (02-26-2020)

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,368 Times in 12,487 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Horrible viruses don't get much traction in Canada because of our moral and intellectual superiority over the rest of the world.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,647 Times in 9,915 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And I thought it was the 11 months of winter!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,850 Times in 8,030 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have been stocking up on Chinese Food for the past month and a half.

Freezers almost full.

13. Post thanked by:

Discotrish (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,822 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    I have more confidence in Canada's ability to handle this matter than I do this country's.
    you should get any medical treatment there when you need it then.

Ethan Krushel is in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
    December 18, 2019
    On Friday, I got into a car accident and broke my arm. I’ve been sitting at Health Sciences Centre for 5 days waiting to get a 1-2 hour surgery.

Tonight, after preparing me to go under the knife, they cancelled my surgery for the 6th time because I’m not a high enough “priority”.

All this, even though I’m taking enough pain killers to put down a horse, and my arm would fold in half if I put any pressure on it.

For those of you who voted for Brian Pallister, and his bull **** regime against Manitoba healthcare, let me personally say, I ****ing hate you.

Unless I’m physically dying, I’m not a priority.

If I leave to wait at home, then I lose my spot on the surgery wait list completely.

I have not met a staff member who has worked less than 12 hours in a single shift.

Today I overheard a woman who has waited nearly 10 days to get her gall bladder removed.

Our healthcare system is broken. I had no idea the scope of it’s damages until I became dependant on it.

There is nothing but frustration and anger lurking in these hallways, and the saddest part is, the people to blame are no where near this building. They sit in comfy chairs, under high ceilings, with a stark naked “golden boy” dancing above their heads.

If you know someone that works in the healthcare system. Please, give them a hug.

They are the ones that have to deal with the decisions of our government. They are the ones getting yelled at by angry patients through no fault of their own. They are the ones trying to keep up.

Most importantly, the next time you fill out a ballot, please think of the repercussions.

Because this, is ****ing bull****.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg...-arm-1.4742630
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 02-26-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our ER times are brutal, but they are starting to come down.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Our ER times are brutal, but they are starting to come down.
    Oh, please.

Last couple of times I was in emerge I was diagnosed, treated and out the door in an hour and a half.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oakv...iw=962&bih=601

Thanks
    Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,822 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    Oh, please.

Last couple of times I was in emerge I was diagnosed, treated and out the door in an hour and a half.

you sure your werent in Florida?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    you sure your werent in Florida?
    They'd take me the moment I stepped off the plane.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,507 Times in 9,215 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They'd take me the moment I stepped off the plane.
    Oh ****, now it makes sense- you're Roman Polanski.

20. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (02-26-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Oh ****, now it makes sense- you're Roman Polanski.
    I wish...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh, please.

That happens. Don't tell me every time you go you are in and out.

Registered User Bellowing4DaBills's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

NO! SARS was an absolute poop-show in Toronto.

Over 40 deaths in Toronto and the vast majority got infected at hospitals including a bunch of healthcare workers. I believe there were less than 5 deaths outside of Asia not including Toronto.

It appears we learned from our failure and our health systems are doing a much better job handling this COVID-19 outbreak.
    The Bills Make Me Wanna Below

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    That happens. Don't tell me every time you go you are in and out.
    If there's a spike in the number of emerge patients of course it's gonna take longer.

They don't have a doctor bullpen sitting around just waiting to get up to pitch.