Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: NFL Free Agency/Other Transactions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL Free Agency/Other Transactions

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    The NFL’s officials will have a harder time getting ready for the 2020 season, given that they won’t have the benefit of a preseason or the ability to work at training camps. When the regular season begins, they also likely won’t have the benefit of help from the replay assistant.
    In late May, the NFL’s owners approved expanded duties for the replay assistant during the preseason, with the understanding that, before the start of the regular season, some or all of the expanded duties would be used in the regular season. So with no preseason at all, what happens to the expanded duties of the replay assistant?
    Is this just an excuse for the bad calls to come?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bill O’Brien- Won’t talk contracts in media, but we want Deshaun Watson here

With Patrick Mahomes‘ contract extension out of the way and Dak Prescott playing out the year under the franchise tag, Deshaun Watson is at the head of the class when it comes to quarterbacks who could sign long-term deals at some point this year.
    That subject came up when head coach Bill O’Brien met the media from Texans training camp on Friday. Watson is heading into his fourth season and the Texans have exercised their fifth-year option on his contract, but O’Brien said they’ve been “working hard” on securing Watson’s services for a longer run.
    Last edited by Woodman; 07-31-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

J.K. Dobbins shocked by draft fall, but thinks Ravens are the right team for him

When he decided to leave Ohio State and enter the 2020 NFL draft, J.K. Dobbins didn’t think 54 players would be drafted ahead of him. But he’s satisfied with where he ended up.
    Dobbins, a running back who is now beginning his rookie training camp with the Ravens, said today that he’s motivated to show that he should have been taken a lot higher than 55th overall, where the Ravens got him in the second round of the draft.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Electronic whistles will be available to officials in 2020

The coronavirus spreads through the expulsion of droplets from the nose and mouth. Blowing into a whistle entails, duh, expelling droplets from the mouth. Thus, the NFL has an optional replacement for the whistle this year.
    Per a source with knowledge of the situation, officials will be given the option to use a hand-held electronic device that, when a button is pressed, will “blow” the whistle.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Joe Judge- We’ll let league deal with DeAndre Baker

The Giants cut kicker Aldrick Rosas in the wake of an offseason arrest, but they haven’t moved to terminate cornerback Deandre Baker‘s contract after he was arrested on armed robbery charges in May.
    Head coach Joe Judge was asked about both players during a conference call with reporters on Friday. He said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY, that cutting Rosas was “best for the team,” but noted that the league’s involvement in Baker’s situation has led to the team plotting a different course.
    Last edited by Woodman; 07-31-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

J.K. Dobbins shocked by draft fall, but thinks Ravens are the right team for him

When he decided to leave Ohio State and enter the 2020 NFL draft, J.K. Dobbins didn’t think 54 players would be drafted ahead of him. But he’s satisfied with where he ended up.
    Dobbins, a running back who is now beginning his rookie training camp with the Ravens, said today that he’s motivated to show that he should have been taken a lot higher than 55th overall, where the Ravens got him in the second round of the draft.
    This kid is going to be a real handful.

- - - Updated - - -

Electronic whistles will be available to officials in 2020

The coronavirus spreads through the expulsion of droplets from the nose and mouth. Blowing into a whistle entails, duh, expelling droplets from the mouth. Thus, the NFL has an optional replacement for the whistle this year.
    Per a source with knowledge of the situation, officials will be given the option to use a hand-held electronic device that, when a button is pressed, will “blow” the whistle.
    This sounds like fun.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Eagles wide receiver Marquise Goodwin announced yesterday that he has decided not to play this season because of concerns about COVID-19. Today, Goodwin said fans’ reactions have not all been supportive.
    Goodwin noted that America has lost 150,000 people to COVID-19, and he said his response to the pandemic is to take it seriously — even if many others aren’t.

No surprise.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Dolphins were one of the first teams to address how they’d welcome fans for home games when they shared mockups in May showing how they’d maintain social distancing at Hard Rock Stadium.
    If those plans are going to be enacted, it won’t be until the regular season. The Dolphins announced on Thursday that they will not be welcoming any fans for training camp or preseason games this summer. They also announced that there will not be any tailgating allowed at the stadium at any point in the regular season.
    Things are tough in Florida right now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bill Belichick on opt outs- “I totally respect and support it”

I respect all of them,” Belichick said, via Henry McKenna of USA Today. “I talked to those guys and they explained their situations, and they had to make the decisions that were best for them, and I totally respect and support it.”
    The six Patriots on the opt-out list are fullback Danny Vitale, guard Najee Toran, offensive lineman Marcus Cannon, linebacker Dont’a Hightower, running back Brandon Bolden and safety Patrick Chung. That’s a lot of talent that won’t be on the field in New England this season, but Belichick always has a plan for any challenge that arises.
    Last edited by Woodman; 07-31-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Joe Burrow- I’ll live off my endorsements and save all my NFL paychecks

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow has a smart idea for how to spend all the money from the four-year, $36.1 million guaranteed contract he signed this week.
    Or actually how not to spend it.

Burrow said on Friday that he doesn’t intend to spend a single penny of that money he’s making from the Bengals. He’ll live off the money he makes from endorsements and put all the money from his NFL paychecks into savings and investments.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-01-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Giants extend Nick Gates

Nick Gates emerged as an important piece of the Giants’ offensive line last season, and now he’s being rewarded.

Gates and the Giants have agreed to a two-year contract extension that has a base salary of $6.825 million and could hit $10.325 million with incentives, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-01-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Markus Golden reports to Giants camp

The Giants employed the rarely used unrestricted free agent tender in order to hold onto pass rusher Markus Golden this offseason and Golden has now decided to report for work with the team.
    According to multiple reports, Golden reported to the team’s facility on Saturday. He’ll undergo three rounds of COVID-19 testing and will have to test negative each time before he’ll be able to enter the facility to begin working with his teammates.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-02-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

NFL pushes for shorter opt-out window

The NFL and NFL Players Agreement have agreed that players will have seven days from the signing of the official revision to the Collective Bargaining Agreement to decide whether to opt out of the 2020 season. Since the deal has not yet been finalized, that would put the deadline at Saturday, August 8 — at the earliest.

The league, apparently rattled by the fact that nearly 40 players already have said “no thanks” to pro football in a pandemic, now wants a shorter deadline than the one previously negotiated.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-02-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ravens waive Daylon Mack, Dom Maggio

The Ravens trimmed their roster to 79 players on Saturday.
    The team announced that they have waived defensive tackle Daylon Mack and punter Dom Maggio. The moves that dropped them under the 80-man limit put in place after an agreement between the NFL and NFL about revisions to training camp due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-02-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Saints QB Drew Brees goes cold turkey on finger licking

Social distancing, wearing face masks and quarantining. They've all become a way of life in our current world amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

For Drew Brees, no more finger licking is part of that list of precautions.

The NFL's all-time leader in passing yards and passing touchdowns, Brees has been consistently spectacular throughout his career and one of those constants has been a pre-snap lick of the digits. With the coronavirus to worry about, Brees is going cold turkey on the finger-licking goodness that has long been a staple of his career.

"So believe it or not, I am telling you, I haven't licked my fingers in four months," Brees told reporters Saturday, via team transcript. "I used to do it all the time. I mean, it was such a habit, right? Just turning the page of a book or just to get a little tackiness on the fingers. It was just unconscious, but I've consciously broke myself of the habit because of COVID. Probably partly because my wife was there to get on me about it. But even throwing the football on the field, I've not licked my fingers in four months. So I don't know.

"I might have broken myself of the habit. We'll see. Listen, I'll tell you this, if I can break myself of the licking the fingers habit, then I think that means anybody can break themselves of any habit. Because that was out of control how much I was licking my fingers."
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-02-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jones hasn't 'seen anything like' Cowboys WR corps

Long before the 2020 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys boasted a talent-rich offense able to do a great many things with little, if any, in the area of glaring needs.

When potential star wideout CeeDee Lamb dropped to the Cowboys at No. 17, however, the enthusiasm at the prospects of what could become wouldn't allow Dallas to move past him.

And that excitement is growing as the season draws closer, with Cowboys chief operating officer/executive vice president Stephen Jones thrilled at the notion of what astounding fortune may come with receivers Lamb, Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup at Dak Prescott's disposal.

"We feel so good about this football team in general," Jones said Friday, via the team website. "But I must say, with jumping on CeeDee Lamb in the first round, that this receiving corps is going to be something else."

A star-studded trio of wideouts in the Lone Star State is seemingly an offensive wonderland that no doubt has Prescott, the Cowboys brass and fans and fantasy pundits, alike, salivating at the possible statistical splendor.

Cooper and Gallup each had 1,000-yard seasons in 2019 for an offense that also boasts one of the elite running backs in the game in Ezekiel Elliott. All told, Dallas averaged a whopping 431.5 yards per game, marking the first time since 1977 in which the Cowboys were the No. 1 offense in football.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-02-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Patriots activate Mohamed Sanu from PUP

Sanu injured his left ankle on a punt return in Week 11 against the Eagles. He missed only one game but wasn’t the same in his return.
    He underwent surgery in March.
    Sanu, 30, caught 26 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown in eight games with the Patriots last season after an Oct. 22 trade from Atlanta. He is entering his ninth season.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-04-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Colts DBs Rolan Milligan, Marvell Tell opt out of 2020 season

The Colts secondary is a bit thinner on Wednesday.
    Colts head coach Frank Reich announced on a video conference that defensive backs Rolan Milligan andMarvell Tell have elected to opt out of playing this season. They join linebacker Skai Moore as Colts players to make that decision.
    Last edited by Woodman; 08-05-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Washington abruptly waived running back Derrius Guice on Friday, after word emerged of his arrest on multiple charges relating to three alleged domestic-violence incidents dating back to February. The move became official on Saturday, with a deadline for making waiver claims on the balance of Guice’s contract arriving at 4:00 p.m. ET on Sunday.

https-::profootballtalk.nbcsports.com:2020:08:09:teams-have-until-400-p-m-et-today-to-claim-derrius-guice-on-waivers:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep