Thread: All my races are cancelled and I don't have any goals

Thanks
    Thanked 7,840 Times in 3,537 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All my races are cancelled and I don't have any goals

I run a lot. I really like running.

But when I don't have a race on the calendar I lose some motivation to get out the door. And if I don't run everyday I end up in a deep depression with alarming regularity.

All my favorite trails are still snowbound for at least another month, and any of the back country alpine trails will be snowed in until June or July.

I don't really have a reason for posting this, I'm not really looking for advice, I'm just disappointed and already climbing the walls.

Victimizing The Victimizer
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,769 Times in 3,060 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: All my races are cancelled and I don't have any goals

I heard there's a race not to catch Covid-19, Millions are participating.

Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,225 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post

But when I don't have a race on the calendar I lose some motivation to get out the door. And if I don't run everyday I end up in a deep depression with alarming regularity.

All my favorite trails are still snowbound for at least another month, and any of the back country alpine trails will be snowed in until June or July.

I don't really have a reason for posting this, I'm not really looking for advice, I'm just disappointed and already climbing the walls.
    I get it! I've gotten so far out of running shape from chemo and then busting up my arm/wrist. Thankfully, our snow season is coming to an end and I'll be able to get out. I'm going to start with my neighborhood and maybe a short loop along the bike path. It'll be a bit before our trails are dried out because of the snow melt.

As far as motivation... A friend of mine are putting "virtual" races on our calendars, luckily, we're pretty competitive with each other (in a healthy way). Plus we're doing the "Run They Year" virtual race.
    For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Dumber than the average blonde :-) Blondie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,017 Times in 5,596 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

SO, I have signed up for virtual races .... I am in the process of running this one:

Potty Paper Race 5K

https://www.runmotivators.com/

My Mistake ~~ Sparty

Thanks
    Thanked 11,966 Times in 5,906 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post

Ditto.

There's a great deal of peace, quietness, and stability that accompanies a nice run.

I get a general sense of mental well-being that IMO exceeds the numerous physical benefits.

I don't participate in races. Running is -- oddly -- a deeply personal experience for me. I like to get lost in my own thoughts and avoid large groups as I find them distracting.

Are you motivated strictly by the competitive nature of races?

If you viewed running as a pre-emptive measure to stave off depression, would it provide an alternate source of motivation? Or just make running feel like a mundane chore?
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,840 Times in 3,537 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    Ditto.

There's a great deal of peace, quietness, and stability that accompanies a nice run.

I get a general sense of mental well-being that IMO exceeds the numerous physical benefits.

I don't participate in races. Running is -- oddly -- a deeply personal experience for me. I like to get lost in my own thoughts and avoid large groups as I find them distracting.

Are you motivated strictly by the competitive nature of races?

If you viewed running as a pre-emptive measure to stave off depression, would it provide an alternate source of motivation? Or just make running feel like a mundane chore?
    The competitive nature does motivate me for sure. But mostly races are a way to get into back country in a fast and light way. The races I usually run take me into some pretty remote inaccessible areas and it's beautiful. I could do it without the support of a race, but then I need to do more planning, and carry a lot more. I do still do that, but it feels different carrying 12 pounds of gear, water, food compared to a couple handhelds and gels.

After the first couple hours, I'm usually alone anyways so they are still very personal for me.

As for motivation, it varies for me, usually I'm excited to run but once it feels like a chore I start missing days and then the depression stuff leads to missing more days. A race on the calendar usually limits my missed days to one or two. So it's more like my backstop.