Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beane - "Diggs Is Our 1st Round Pick"

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Beane - "Diggs Is Our 1st Round Pick"

Also mentioned he used the extra draft capital to use in a trade. Never intended on drafting 9 players. I've expressed the same belief all along.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/02/b...esota-vikings/
    " When we were young, we were poor. But that didn't stop us from being miserable."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Beane - "Diggs Is Our 1st Round Pick"

We made an excellent 1st round pick.

Best route runner in the entire NFL.

With Brown and Beasley look out baby.

Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs Zero's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Also mentioned he used the extra draft capital to use in a trade. Never intended on drafting 9 players. I've expressed the same belief all along.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/02/b...esota-vikings/
    Initially I was down on the trade because I thought we might have paid too much. I still think we paid too much but sometime there's a premium to be paid on a top flight asset- which Diggs certainly is.
    Last edited by Zero; 04-02-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,619 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Still not sure how I feel about this.

I'm fine with Diggs as a player. I'm not sure about what we gave up to get him. We basically gave up 3 draft picks- including a first-rounder- and the lower rookie cap hit in exchange for a proven player and a big cap hit.

While WR was our biggest need, it was far from our only need and we gave up picks that could have helped us fill other needs. The cap hit doesn't bother me this season, but he's on the books for $12 mil a season for the next four years. That's something we could end up regretting. Additionally, this draft is **** in WR's and the last time we traded a 1st rounder.... it turned into Patrick Mahomes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 831 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I remember when i got the text from my brother in law.

It was a bit of a surreal moment to be honest.

There is literally no better 1st round pick we could have made.

Ok, maybe Hopkins. But whatever. Diggs is a gamer.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is what doesnt make sense to me from fans or media members who question this trade

Had we moved up from 22 to 17 and gave up what we gave up for an unproven rookie WR like Ruggs, no one wouldve said we gave up to much

Yet. When we do it for a top 10 WR who's under contract and is only 26 nowwwww we gave up to much

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Also Op. I dont get why the mahomes thing is thrown out there so much. We didnt have a GM and McD was basically doing the draft on his own. There was a lot of people who even said no way buffalo takes a QB because we didnt have a GM yet

Thanks
    Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,159 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

I'm fine with Diggs as a player. I'm not sure about what we gave up to get him. We basically gave up 3 draft picks- including a first-rounder- and the lower rookie cap hit in exchange for a proven player and a big cap hit.

While WR was our biggest need, it was far from our only need and we gave up picks that could have helped us fill other needs. The cap hit doesn't bother me this season, but he's on the books for $12 mil a season for the next four years. That's something we could end up regretting. Additionally, this draft is **** in WR's and the last time we traded a 1st rounder.... it turned into Patrick Mahomes.
    And if they ended up taking...say a CB or a safety in the 1st who was "just too good to pass up?" While waiting until, say the 4th round to take another WR because those in the 2nd and 3rd didn't have "value"?

I think it is because I'm not sure of their talent evaluation capabilities on the offensive side of the ball that I'm more on board with this trade.

The known commodity, who is a Pro Bowler, is the safe move here.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Also Op. I dont get why the mahomes thing is thrown out there so much. We didnt have a GM and McD was basically doing the draft on his own. There was a lot of people who even said no way buffalo takes a QB because we didnt have a GM yet
    It's to show what you are potentially giving up in a first round pick. We basically gave up 3 picks- including a first rounder- and $12 mil in cap space for the security of a proven player over the possibility that a draft pick will bust. That's a steep price.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    And if they ended up taking...say a CB or a safety in the 1st who was "just too good to pass up?" While waiting until, say the 4th round to take another WR because those in the 2nd and 3rd didn't have "value"?

I think it is because I'm not sure of their talent evaluation capabilities on the offensive side of the ball that I'm more on board with this trade.

$12 mil a year for 4 years is never a safe move.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,999 Times in 2,114 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills were going to take a WR in the 1st this year. Now they don't have to and got a proven Pro Bowl WR in his prime with a cheap contract for such a player. The extra 5th and 6th this year and 4th next year are throwaway picks they essentially got by trading players last year who weren't going to make the team anyway, and they still have at least one pick in each of those rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

I was ecstatic when they made the trade because he's a proven top-10 WR who is still young and I have doubts about their ability to draft WRs. They actually gave up fewer points draft pick wise for a player of his stature.

$12 mil a year for 4 years is never a safe move.
    Please. You have to spend money to get and keep good players.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    The Bills were going to take a WR in the 1st this year. Now they don't have to and got a proven Pro Bowl WR in his prime with a cheap contract for such a player. The extra 5th and 6th this year and 4th next year are throwaway picks they essentially got by trading players last year who weren't going to make the team anyway, and they still have at least one pick in each of those rounds.

I was ecstatic when they made the trade because he's a proven top-10 WR who is still young and I have doubts about their ability to draft WRs. They actually gave up fewer points draft pick wise for a player of his stature.

Please. You have to spend money to get and keep good players.
    Throw away picks? No. You could package them to move up in the 2nd or 3rd.

Trading away a 1st is a recipe for disaster more often than not.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's as if Free Agency never took place. Those were all veteran NFL players who have shown they belong at some level.

Suddenly, a 5th and 6th round pick (extras) are more valued ? That is a reach of epic proportions. A proven pro bowl player is < than late, extra Saturday picks ? Really ?

His salary doesn't matter to me. I'm sure Beane has already planned/projected some ideas for that as a whole in 2021. Certainly not up against the cap anymore.

I think we are trying too hard to play virtual GM after watching this team suck for 20 years. This is a breath of fresh air that this franchised sorely needed. FA has become a little more important recently and the draft is certainly not being minimized. They still have 7 picks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Also, something else to consider: we have the cap space THIS year, but before Diggs' contract expires, Tre White, Edmunds, Milano and Allen (assuming he continues to develop) will need new contracts. And none of them will come cheap, and I'm probably missing some.

Is the difference in play between Diggs and someone we could have drafted in the first round worth potentially losing one of them?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A "recipe for disaster?" LOL! Stop being melodramatic. I'd trade-away a 1st for a proven player any day.

Again the Bills were looking to draft a WR in the 1st round. At their position though, even with the picks they packaged, they would have at-best gotten the 4th-best WR, maybe even the 5th since some mocks have Jefferson going at 20. So they made a move to get a Pro Bowl player. The bust rate for 1st round WR's is high and their learning curve is steep, and will be even more so this year given the lack of off-season activities.

As for using the 5th and 6th rounders to move up, at best you're moving up 3 spots in the 2nd round if you packaged both the 5th and 6th rounder. Not worth it at all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's as if Free Agency never took place. Those were all veteran NFL players who have shown they belong at some level.

Suddenly, a 5th and 6th round pick (extras) are more valued ? That is a reach of epic proportions. A proven pro bowl player is < than late, extra Saturday picks ? Really ?

His salary doesn't matter to me. I'm sure Beane has already planned/projected some ideas for that as a whole in 2021. Certainly not up against the cap anymore.

I think we are trying too hard to play virtual GM after watching this team suck for 20 years. This is a breath of fresh air that this franchised sorely needed. FA has become a little more important recently and the draft is certainly not being minimized. They still have 7 picks.
    What? Did you even read the last part of my post where I said "trading away a first is a recipe for disaster?"

I never said that 5th and 6th round picks weren't worth a proven player. I said they aren't "throw away picks" as Gooby claimed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A "recipe for disaster?" LOL! Stop being melodramatic. I'd trade-away a 1st for a proven player any day.

Again the Bills were looking to draft a WR in the 1st round. At their position though, even with the picks they packaged, they would have at-best gotten the 4th-best WR, maybe even the 5th since some mocks have Jefferson going at 20. So they made a move to get a Pro Bowl player. The bust rate for 1st round WR's is high and their learning curve is steep, and will be even more so this year given the lack of off-season activities.

As for using the 5th and 6th rounders to move up, at best you're moving up 3 spots in the 2nd round if you packaged both the 5th and 6th rounder. Not worth it at all.
    Good thing you're not a GM. It's never quite that simple. At the very least, there's the salary cap to be concerned with.

Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs Zero's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Some perspective is helpful here. Cooks was traded (twice ) for a 1st. Cooper was traded for a 1st.

Also, Diggs' $12M annual salary is a bargain compared to what Cooper just received. He's only 26 and he's one of the best at his position.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I don't get the histrionics and claiming the Vikings got a "haul" of picks. Very few 5th and 6th rounders make a team. And again the Bills have a 5th and 2-6th rounders that they can use to select that future HOF'er they possibly traded away to the Vikings.

And the cap is in really good shape for the foreseeable future. When/if it's time to pay Josh...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I don't get the histrionics and claiming the Vikings got a "haul" of picks. Very few 5th and 6th rounders make a team. And again the Bills have a 5th and 2-6th rounders that they can use to select that future HOF'er they possibly traded away to the Vikings.

And the cap is in really good shape for the foreseeable future. When/if it's time to pay Josh...
    And Tre. And Edmunds. And Milano....