Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

  1. #1
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,229
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    39

    Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    https-::www.buffalorumblings.com:202023:21264780:four-downs-should-the-buffalo-bills-pursue-free-agent-larry-warford

    One of the more surprising moves of the 2020 offseason came when the New Orleans Saints cut Pro Bowl guard Larry Warford. While the Bills bring back all five starters from 2019’s offensive line, fans have been curious if Warford would be an upgrade at guard. Reports indicate that Warford would be looking for something in the neighborhood of $7 million per year. I would certainly be open to the idea of the Bills making an upgrade at one of the guard positions, and let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.

    Larry Warford

    It's easy to grin When your ship
    comes in And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

    ~Smails ~

    https-::www.youtube.com:watch?v=77gKSp8WoRg

    Bruce Springsteen - My Hometown (Official Video)

  2. #2
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,229
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    39

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    https-::www.buffalorumblings.com:202023:21264780:four-downs-should-the-buffalo-bills-pursue-free-agent-larry-warford

    One of the more surprising moves of the 2020 offseason came when the New Orleans Saints cut Pro Bowl guard Larry Warford. While the Bills bring back all five starters from 2019’s offensive line, fans have been curious if Warford would be an upgrade at guard. Reports indicate that Warford would be looking for something in the neighborhood of $7 million per year. I would certainly be open to the idea of the Bills making an upgrade at one of the guard positions, and let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.

    Larry Warford

    I would explore it for sure.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,676
    Thanks
    1,926
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    13

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Hell yeah.

  4. #4
    Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Last Depot
    Posts
    26,096
    Thanks
    5,575
    Thanked 9,810 Times in 4,987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    100

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    and yet, 32 teams just ignore him. Must be more to the story.
    " When we were young, we were poor. But that didn't stop us from being miserable."


  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,763
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    48

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    and yet, 32 teams just ignore him. Must be more to the story.
    Yeah. Makes you wonder if there's an injury that got him released and teams want to be able to get him checked-out first?

    And if they do add him, do they cut anyone? You'd be signing him with the expectation of him being the starter at RG (and Spain would be the starter at LG).
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

  6. #6
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    16,927
    Thanks
    1,212
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 444 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    132

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Yeah. Makes you wonder if there's an injury that got him released and teams want to be able to get him checked-out first?

    And if they do add him, do they cut anyone? You'd be signing him with the expectation of him being the starter at RG (and Spain would be the starter at LG).
    I believe that we have 88 players on the current roster, so if there is no injury or health issue, we have room for him.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

  7. #7
    Well, lookie here...
    YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    70,620
    Thanks
    21,181
    Thanked 22,591 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    199

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Feliciano and Spain, FTW.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

  8. #8
    snoopy the dog
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Gainesville,Ga.
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 72 Times in 61 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    8

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    I believe that we have 88 players on the current roster, so if there is no injury or health issue, we have room for him.
    Bring him in and see what he's got. Can never have enough linemen. We need to keep Josh on his feet.

  9. #9
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,229
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    39

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    If he's healthy and we have room why not?

  10. #10
    Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Tailgunner Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,323
    Thanks
    2,457
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 695 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    6

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    For the right price and for the right circumstances, but much like a Zillow house that has been listed for 70,000 for 168 days that seems to be nice and newly remodeled I gotta know why he's still on the market
    Personal Attacks on me, Attempts to enflame Me, and efforts to start escalation will no longer be tolerated by me and I will do my damndest not to encite you. IF you choose to follow your old troubled MO of trying to provoke me, bait me, troll me, and attack me, I am not going to respond to you. I will report you very quickly and have you very quickly dealt with by the mods because yes, the TOS apply to me and they do apply to you whether you like it or not. If you are confused about what the TOS are, click the link at the end of my signature. Familiarize yourself with it because I am done with you and you will learn very quickly that nobody is going to play the games that almost got the Spinzone permanently shuttered. So play your old games if you dare, but you and the accounts will be banned and I will go on being me.

    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...ct-amp-Service

  11. #11
    Registered User yordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In a WNY bar
    Posts
    11,680
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 446 Times in 252 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    42

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Well, why was a pro bowler cut?
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

    "I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

    "Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

    "Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

    "I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

  12. #12
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,229
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    39

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    Well, why was a pro bowler cut?
    That's the question does make you wonder was it just for cap space or something else.

  13. #13
    Registered User Saratoga Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,381
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 540 Times in 251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    22

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    We have about $19M in cap. So I do worry a little that signing a guy like Warford now would limit our ability to get one of the big extensions done
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

  14. #14
    Registered User jimmifli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,752
    Thanks
    8,825
    Thanked 8,073 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    Well, why was a pro bowler cut?
    He got out played and was too expensive to put on the bench or trade.

  15. #15
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,229
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    39

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    He got out played and was too expensive to put on the bench or trade.
    Then maybe we should not be interested either.

  16. #16
    Registered User jimmifli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,752
    Thanks
    8,825
    Thanked 8,073 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Then maybe we should not be interested either.
    He's better than both our guards, probably significantly better. But he's slow, not so mobile, and not a good down field blocker.

    He's a better more expensive version of Spain.

    All things considered, he'd improve our pass protection slightly and our inside running significantly, while downgrading our ability to pull outside (if he replaced Felciano, Spain can't pull either). I'd rather have Warford than of either of our guards, but not in addition to, the upgrade isn't worth the 7 million he's asking unless we cut Feliciano.

    I think we would be better off waiting until next season and drafting or signing a high end right guard that better fits what Dabol wants to do with the running game.

  17. Post thanked by:

    Woodman (06-01-2020)

  18. #17
    Protected by Jesus' Blood!
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    29,011
    Thanks
    34,048
    Thanked 12,060 Times in 8,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    He's better than both our guards, probably significantly better. But he's slow, not so mobile, and not a good down field blocker.

    He's a better more expensive version of Spain.

    All things considered, he'd improve our pass protection slightly and our inside running significantly, while downgrading our ability to pull outside (if he replaced Felciano, Spain can't pull either). I'd rather have Warford than of either of our guards, but not in addition to, the upgrade isn't worth the 7 million he's asking unless we cut Feliciano.

    I think we would be better off waiting until next season and drafting or signing a high end right guard that better fits what Dabol wants to do with the running game.
    Which is what?

    I haven't been able to figure out what his run scheme is although clearly our defensive opponents have.

  19. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,763
    Thanks
    1,771
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    48

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    Which is what?

    I haven't been able to figure out what his run scheme is although clearly our defensive opponents have.
    Not when Singletary ran the ball. He had a 5.1 YPC average. The only time they figured-out the scheme was when Gore was in, because he's 1-dimensional.

  20. #19
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,229
    Thanks
    2,022
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    39

    Re: Four Downs: Should the Buffalo Bills pursue free agent Larry Warford?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    He's better than both our guards, probably significantly better. But he's slow, not so mobile, and not a good down field blocker.

    He's a better more expensive version of Spain.

    All things considered, he'd improve our pass protection slightly and our inside running significantly, while downgrading our ability to pull outside (if he replaced Felciano, Spain can't pull either). I'd rather have Warford than of either of our guards, but not in addition to, the upgrade isn't worth the 7 million he's asking unless we cut Feliciano.

    I think we would be better off waiting until next season and drafting or signing a high end right guard that better fits what Dabol wants to do with the running game.


    This does seem to be our best route and thanks for the excellent post.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •