Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jake Fromm has intangibles to take Buffalo Bills backup QB job this offseason

Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jake Fromm has intangibles to take Buffalo Bills backup QB job this offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    How do you know that?
    He doesn't.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

2. Post thanked by:

Novacane (06-01-2020)

Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs Zero's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jake Fromm has intangibles to take Buffalo Bills backup QB job this offseason

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    As a fifth rounder, Fromm was pissing the pick into the wind. He’ll be Peterman part II if he’s forced to play.

I get it: fifth rounders usually aren’t contributors, but this is one of the few times when you n ow from the moment the pick was made that he DEFINITELY won’t be a contributor this year and most likely won’t be in the future. There are only so many draft picks and roster spots, only so much cap space, to try to improve the team. It’s nonsensical to make a pick like that when they didn’t even try to upgrade the OL. Chances are slim that a fifth round draft pick would be better than our current starters, but a slim chance is better than zero chance.

I'm trying to understand your issue with the pick. If we all agree that 5th rounders often get cut, let alone pay immediate dividends- essentially a guaranteed wasted pick, why no take a gamble on a player who's position is the MOST valuable- not just from the standpoint of having a capable backup, but also from being able to potentially flip one of your QB's for considerable draft capital should Fromm prove he can play in the league (ex. Jimmy G).

Yes, the likelihood of this happening is probably low , but then again, we know this is the case with all 5th rounders, so why not take a flyer on a player that's a few months away from being considered a first rounder and who's value to team has the most upside?
    Last edited by Zero; 05-30-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,294 Times in 9,664 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I'm trying to understand your issue with the pick. If we all agree that 5th rounders often get cut, let alone pay immediate dividends- essentially a guaranteed wasted pick, why no take a gamble on a player who's position is the MOST valuable- not just from the standpoint of having a capable backup, but also from being able to potentially flip one of your QB's for considerable draft capital should Fromm prove he can play in the league (ex. Jimmy G).

Yes, the likelihood of this happening is probably low , but then again, we know this is the case with all 5th rounders, so why not take a flyer on a player that's a few months away from being considered a first rounder and who's value to team has the most upside?
    I explained all my reasons. We did nothing to help the OL so even a slim shot at hell would be better than none. QB has the most value but it also has the highest learning curve and even less chance of success in the 5th round than OL or any other position, and if by some chance he is good, then we have a QB controversy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How do you know that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    He doesn't.
    A 5th round QB is not going to be ready to step in and play in his rookie season. I can’t believe I even have to argue that point.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post

Yeah, 5th rounders rarely make a team. Thinking an OL there would have helped the team over a QB who had a lot of success in the toughest division in college is what you do when you need to ***** about something. And there have been more than a few later-round QB's who have done well, especially as backups.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, 5th rounders rarely make a team. Thinking an OL there would have helped the team over a QB who had a lot of success in the toughest division in college is what you do when you need to ***** about something. And there have been more than a few later-round QB's who have done well, especially as backups.
    I don’t “need to ***** about something”. The OL was the 2nd worst unit on the team last season. The FO did NOTHING about it and you guys are defending them. All the awful things you’re saying about a 5th round OL- it would STILL be better than what the FO actually did.

I mean, do you guys even want this team to win? We have a great D. We may finally have a QB. But none of that will matter if the OL can’t protect him or have a good enough running game to take pressure off.

Once again, the FO ignored the 2nd worst unit on the team and you guys are acting like I’m crazy for having a problem with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,650 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A 5th round QB is not going to be ready to step in and play in his rookie season. I can’t believe I even have to argue that point.
    Tom Brady was ready.

6th rounder so.

It's easy to grin When your ship
    comes in And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

~Smails ~

https-::www.youtube.com:watch?v=77gKSp8WoRg

Bruce Springsteen - My Hometown (Official Video)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tom Brady was ready.

6th rounder so.
    Didn't Tom Brady sit his first season?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tom Brady was ready.

6th rounder so.
    First, that’s using the exception to prove the rule. Second, racy had Belichick

Thanks
    Thanked 10,104 Times in 6,802 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fromm is a wasted pick and as much as I dislike Barkley, if Fromm sees the field this season itíll be far worse than Barkley.
    Fromm was a great college QB, so why, exactly do you predict that? Makes no sense.
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Out of anyone, I wouldn't put it past Fromm to be ready to roll. The guy is very smart and was considered another coach on the field at Georgia. He chased-away Jacob Eason and Justin Fields from Georgia. He went 35-7 as a starter and threw 78 TDs to 18 INTs in his 3 years as a starter, playing in the SEC no less. And it's not like he had great talent around him outside of his RBs.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 Times in 4,453 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's easier for you to blame me than to accept the reality of the team.
    The reality of the team is that they are in the Top 10 in the NFL, and are on the rise.

It's easier to you to **** on the reality of their accomplishments than to accept that your hatred for the team is illogical, biased and silly. You are locked into an unacceptable positions and now, you don't have a clue as to how to get out of the straightjacket you have made for yourself.

It's sad.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Fromm was a great college QB, so why, exactly do you predict that? Makes no sense.
    Lots of “great college QB’s” never succeed in the NFL, let alone in their first season. There’s a reason why he slipped. And with the corona situation, he likely won’t get in as much practice as players usually get. And regardless how much practice time there is, he’ll be relegated to second and third string reps.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The reality of the team is that they are in the Top 10 in the NFL, and are on the rise.

It's easier to you to **** on the reality of their accomplishments than to accept that your hatred for the team is illogical, biased and silly. You are locked into an unacceptable positions and now, you don't have a clue as to how to get out of the straightjacket you have made for yourself.

It's sad.
    The reality of this team is that they still canít beat the better teams in the league. The reality of this team is that theyíre still squandering a great D with a subpar O. The reality of this team is that they fixed one position- WR- and even that one fix will be at least partially mitigated by the fact that they ignored the OL.

But itís easier for you to blame it on me to accept that reality. Youíll be forced to accept it when Sundays in September come though.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 Times in 4,453 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The reality of this team is that they still can’t beat the better teams in the league. The reality of this team is that they’re still squandering a great D with a subpar O. The reality of this team is that they fixed one position- WR- and even that one fix will be at least partially mitigated by the fact that they ignored the OL.

But it’s easier for you to blame it on me to accept that reality. You’ll be forced to accept it when Sundays in September come though.
    Straight jacket.

It's bound so tight it must be hard to get blood into your brain.

17. Post thanked by:

Novacane (06-01-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills would have beaten the Texans in the playoffs if not for the game being fixed. That negated TD where some guys in black shirts had to come onto the field and talk the refs into reversing their call was the most crooked thing I've ever witnessed in a game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills would have beaten the Texans in the playoffs if not for the game being fixed. That negated TD where some guys in black shirts had to come onto the field and talk the refs into reversing their call was the most crooked thing I've ever witnessed in a game.
    The Bills would have lost the first Jets game if Mosley didn’t get hurt and would have lost the Titans game if they had played the right QB. We were two strokes of luck away from not even being in that game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Straight jacket.

It's bound so tight it must be hard to get blood into your brain.
    It’s easier for you to blame me than accept reality

Thanks
    Thanked 6,899 Times in 3,996 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Opie is, was, and will continue to be the Master of Reality.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Didn't Tom Brady sit his first season?
    He did and remember he never accomplished what Jake Fromm State Farm had accomplished.

Brady caught on quick enough and who can say the great Jake Fromm State Farm wouldn't do the exact same.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Out of anyone, I wouldn't put it past Fromm to be ready to roll. The guy is very smart and was considered another coach on the field at Georgia. He chased-away Jacob Eason and Justin Fields from Georgia. He went 35-7 as a starter and threw 78 TDs to 18 INTs in his 3 years as a starter, playing in the SEC no less. And it's not like he had great talent around him outside of his RBs.
    This.