Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Covid19 testing for all NFL games is a fix for fans to safely join in the fun

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,075 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Covid19 testing for all NFL games is a fix for fans to safely join in the fun

Why is it ok to protest shoulder to shoulder but not work. Get busy living or get busy dying. BTW there's a new flu pandemic every year so get over it.
    Turn off social media. Find life.

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,591 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Covid19 testing for all NFL games is a fix for fans to safely join in the fun

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    You distorted the facts, I didn't. I bet the virus was hard for this 34 year old healthy person to catch:

Dream Streetís Chris Trousdale dies of coronavirus at 34

There are, literally, 10s of thousands of stories like this one in America. So, again, not hard to catch. Just for the record.
    I'm pretty sure the number of Covid-related deaths for the under 35 demographic is less than 5% of the total, so really there literally aren't 10s of thousands of stories just like that one.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    Mine is a blood test, takes 3 minutes. Itís like a Pregnancy test strip positive or not.
    OK. Let's say the Bills could manage 100 testing sites around the stadium. I'm not sure which test you're referring to when you say results are available in 3 minutes. I googled fastest tests, and got one produced by Abbott Laboratories that gives positive results in 5 minutes. Negative results take 13 minutes to confirm. It takes a small machine to read results, which may be practical to have present at a stadium. We'll assume you're right though. You have your blood sample taken, then have to wait three minutes for results to become evident. Obviously, with the 700 tests that particular station would need to perform for a sold out game, one test every three minutes won't be fast enough. You don't want to ask the last guy in line to wait 35 hours to get through the process. So, let's say they continue to take blood samples while they're waiting the three minutes for your results to be read. How many blood samples can they actually take per minute? I presume, they'd use the same method that any medical lab would use: disinfect the skin, tie a temporary tourniquet above the vein they've chosen to use, poke the vein carefully with a syringe, draw the blood, then tape a wad of gauze over the vein. Having been poked many times, most recently this week, I think all of that takes a few minutes. Can they do the test without a machine. As I said, the Abbott Laboratories test takes a small machine. I presume that it can't do more than a handful of tests at a time, if it can even do more than one at a time. But let's say your Buffalo team phlebotomists and take five blood samples per minute. One person would need roughly 2.5 hours to draw blood samples from 700 fans. This on the edge of practicality when Bills fans are already waiting in line for other things. So lets say the Bills splurge and manage to have a thousand trained phlebotomists on hand. Hard to say where they're coming from since Health providers don't have a lot to spare in the present circumstances, but we'll say the Bills found them. They can take blood samples from every fan present in 20 minutes or so. It still begs the question, is there any possible way to keep straight which blood sample belongs to which fan when you've got 700 waiting around each station waiting to hear results?

Maybe it can be done, but it looks to me like it has the makings or a huge logistical nightmare. Can you figure out how it can be done?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,504 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    OK. Let's say the Bills could manage 100 testing sites around the stadium. I'm not sure which test you're referring to when you say results are available in 3 minutes. I googled fastest tests, and got one produced by Abbott Laboratories that gives positive results in 5 minutes. Negative results take 13 minutes to confirm. It takes a small machine to read results, which may be practical to have present at a stadium. We'll assume you're right though. You have your blood sample taken, then have to wait three minutes for results to become evident. Obviously, with the 700 tests that particular station would need to perform for a sold out game, one test every three minutes won't be fast enough. You don't want to ask the last guy in line to wait 35 hours to get through the process. So, let's say they continue to take blood samples while they're waiting the three minutes for your results to be read. How many blood samples can they actually take per minute? I presume, they'd use the same method that any medical lab would use: disinfect the skin, tie a temporary tourniquet above the vein they've chosen to use, poke the vein carefully with a syringe, draw the blood, then tape a wad of gauze over the vein. Having been poked many times, most recently this week, I think all of that takes a few minutes. Can they do the test without a machine. As I said, the Abbott Laboratories test takes a small machine. I presume that it can't do more than a handful of tests at a time, if it can even do more than one at a time. But let's say your Buffalo team phlebotomists and take five blood samples per minute. One person would need roughly 2.5 hours to draw blood samples from 700 fans. This on the edge of practicality when Bills fans are already waiting in line for other things. So lets say the Bills splurge and manage to have a thousand trained phlebotomists on hand. Hard to say where they're coming from since Health providers don't have a lot to spare in the present circumstances, but we'll say the Bills found them. They can take blood samples from every fan present in 20 minutes or so. It still begs the question, is there any possible way to keep straight which blood sample belongs to which fan when you've got 700 waiting around each station waiting to hear results?

Maybe it can be done, but it looks to me like it has the makings or a huge logistical nightmare. Can you figure out how it can be done?
    Itís a finger or ear prick & every stadium will need trained staff to handle the load of tests. I figured theyíd make a stamp for that day & can they will have mobile units to test anywhere along the way on the stadium grounds. Youíll need a valid ticket to get the test, the costs of which is like a bad parking pass. Theyíll call it a health check & have temperature takers as well, which if much above normal will deny access automatically. Itís not really fair to everyone else for people to walk into the stadium passing their Illness, whether they knew it or not.

One other factor in play is if someone is too intoxicated to enter the stadium, they give them a different stamp for review at the gate letting them know chill out on the booze or else you might not gain entry. Stadium has the right to deny anyone access for any reason & ask you to leave, itís in the fine print. Gate entry will start 4 hours before game time, the new stadiums have plenty of amenities to keep folks amused. Iíd have a free new movie area too and set up play parks for kids at all the stadiums inside, bring the families back there knowing nearly everyone is in good health.
    Last edited by Skooby; 06-06-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,277 Times in 10,262 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Won't be me....I'll be watching from my sofa.

6. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Won't be me....I'll be watching from my sofa.
    Higher risk older folks will stay home ongoing when it comes to large groups. I think the era of large group events in general is a over until this is totally under control, it’ll be years.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,557 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    I have a Covid blood test that takes 3 minutes to show results,
    LMAO, you've gotten flack for being a troll before, but this takes the cake.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,267 Times in 9,650 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    Why is it ok to protest shoulder to shoulder but not work. Get busy living or get busy dying. BTW there's a new flu pandemic every year so get over it.
    Wow, I don't know how to start with this....

First, the worst flu in the last 40 years was 2018. Flu season lasts from October-May. That season killed 80k people in the US. Some years were as low as 12k. Corona killed over 100k from March-May, roughly half the regular flu season. Also, even cases that don't lead to death require a lot more hospitalization than the regular flu. So no, this is not just another flu.

Second, no, it isn't really safe to protest and there's a good chance there will be a spike in corona due to the protests. But when that many people are that angry, there's simply no way to stop them, and attempting to stop them would have led to even worse riots and looting than what actually occurred.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    LMAO, you've gotten flack for being a troll before, but this takes the cake.
    Nobody is showing up to get mortally sick.
    Last edited by Skooby; 06-13-2020 at 03:43 AM.