Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jake Fromm comments

Thanks
    Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jake Fromm comments

The link: https-::profootballtalk.nbcsports.com:2020:06:05:brian-daboll-jake-fromm-has-a-lot-of-work-to-do-to-earn-his-teammates-trust:

A day after Bills rookie quarterback Jake Fromm admitted to sending a racist text message last year, his offensive coordinator is giving him a qualified show of support.

Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll told reporters today that Fromm can earn the trust of the Billsí locker room, but that itís going to be incumbent on him to do the work necessary for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would say 3 things:

1) whoever released that text had to know they might be destroying Jake's career, as tenuous as a 5th round rookies career is. If Jake thought he was chatting with a friend he was not.

2) If this was released 3 months ago when he said it there would not likely be traction to it, the timing is what makes it much worse than the content which seems like a weak (and stupid) attempt at humor.

3) Those that want to shrug this off as a non event shouldn't. Jake is a QB. That means a leader. You have to have your squad 110% with you to lead. Could this hurt his position on the team? Yes. As a 5th round rookie he just got a lot less slack and a lot more pressure. Is that fair? No not really but it most definitely is what it is.

3. Post thanked by:

Jan Reimers (06-05-2020),Novacane (06-06-2020),Tailgunner Joe (06-08-2020)

Protected by Jesus' Blood! Haile SpikedLemonade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,419 Times in 8,413 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Again, I am not going to risk dividing a locker room over a back up 5th round QB.

If his Black teammates are all willing to forgive and forget, great!

If not, just cut him.

There was talk of trying to sneak him onto the practice squad where we could have lost him in any event.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

more from the article.

Fromm undoubtedly has work to do, not just to win the trust of his teammates, but also to make the team. As a fifth-round draft pick on a team that already has Josh Allen as the established starter and Matt Barkley as the veteran backup, Fromm might not make the team even if he had no problems earning the trust of his teammates.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 459 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Jake's comments were meant to be funny banter with a friend. But in this age of ubiquitous social media and strict political correctness, everything anyone says is subject to microscopic scrutiny by everyone with a computer or smart phone. Bottom line: It was a silly comment, not a racist one, meant only for a friend, but has gained wide-spread notoriety and misinterpretation by those who see racism in anything and everything. I don't think the kid has ever shown racist tendencies, so he should be given the benefit of the doubt on this one rather innocuous comment.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 5,105 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If players don't talk things out with Fromm, then they have thin skin.

He said something stupid and wrong... but taking it a step further and labeling him a racist is insane . He played with tons of minorities and it would have surfaced for sure prior.

Let him explain himself.. but talking about cutting him to avoid a dialogue is beyond ******ed.
    " When we were young, we were poor. But that didn't stop us from being miserable."

8. Post thanked by:

Novacane (06-06-2020)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 5,105 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    Again, I am not going to risk dividing a locker room over a back up 5th round QB.

If his Black teammates are all willing to forgive and forget, great!

If not, just cut him.

There was talk of trying to sneak him onto the practice squad where we could have lost him in any event.

Gutless.

10. Post thanked by:

Jan Reimers (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Gutless.
    To gain what by keeping Fromm on the team?

What is the upside?

The downside is clear.

Again, not up to me...it's up to his Black teammates.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The notion that just one side needs to change is what troubles me. And again nowhere did Fromm say "black" in his texts.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

13. Post thanked by:

Jan Reimers (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    The notion that just one side needs to change is what troubles me. And again nowhere did Fromm say "black" in his texts.
    Interesting.

How would you like the victims to change?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,548 Times in 4,718 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What it meant to me is that non-white people are all poor and white people that are elite are the ones that can afford guns.

It was an incredibly stupid thing to say....and illustrates the systemic racism that permeates to this day.

SHAME ON YOU JAKE!!!

You wrote that LAST YEAR, when you knew the NFL Draft was coming. You just don't do that...even MORE so when you are in the public eye.

And being one of only 255 men picked in the draft he was absolutely in the pubic eye.

He was drafted because, despite his weak arm, was supposed to be "smart". This destroys that meme forever.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,720 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

OK then. Let's release everyone's private texts. We should know how everyone truly feels and decide who deserves scorn. Is anyone ready to sign up for that?
    Nobody would have a team.

17. Post thanked by:

Novacane (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,428 Times in 7,028 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacoJo View Post
    This is pretty annoying. I guess we like Qb's that make these type of comments. However, I personally think it will be okay.

Honestly, I think I am more upset at the person who released this than anything. Just a tasteless thing to do. Have you ever said anything that would make people upset? When you are just joking with a friend or what not? I have.... I'm sure many have.
    Me? Never.
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,374 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Nobody would have a team.
    lol. Correct.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,472 Times in 6,600 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Holden Covington, Fromm's teammate from high school said, "I went to high school with the guy. This is EXACTLY who he is. This isn't a mistake or a poor choice of words, it's completely in character. The dude's a bad person and I hope he gets cut."

The girl that leaked it said she assumed she would get blamed if it ruins his career but he's the one who said it.

The main thing I pity about the kid is that hairline. What a weird melodrama this is becoming.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

21. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (06-06-2020),Mace (06-05-2020)

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,937 Times in 7,057 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

OK then. Let's release everyone's private texts. We should know how everyone truly feels and decide who deserves scorn. Is anyone ready to sign up for that?
    Sure I would. Anyone who doesn't know not to create a public record via written statement is dumb as a brick. Private verbal conversations are disputable, so is secondhand knowledge. Shameful texts are revealed pretty commonly, and rightfully so, and written statements are a matter of record.

That's what you get for putting it in writing. I mean it's legal 101.

As for Fromm, he'll be fine. It's another goofy college kid bumble, and it isn't like it's foreign to NFL players if he handles himself properly going forward.

Let's not kid ourselves though that it's some great betrayal of perceived freedom. We all have a vague clue abut the interwebs and information technology. You've surrendered that freedom to Facebook and Google and Yahoo and Twitter, and Microsoft so you can slavishly use their products. They've told you flat out they'll do what they want and you'll take it and like it, so it seems kind of silly to pretend to ignore the lower level game your contacts can use via the written information you've already exposed to data harvesting, archives and miscellaneous hackers because you seriously know you don't think twice about clicking the allow button for an app on your phone that you want.

It's kind of strange to argue you should have freedoms you already freely surrendered for the sake of a selective argument.

Fromm will pay the piper, anyone else will too as circumstances and choice of friends dictate.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

23. Post thanked by:

Historian (06-06-2020),Novacane (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,472 Times in 6,600 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Sure I would. Anyone who doesn't know not to create a public record via written statement is dumb as a brick. Private verbal conversations are disputable, so is secondhand knowledge. Shameful texts are revealed pretty commonly, and rightfully so, and written statements are a matter of record.

As for Fromm, he'll be fine. It's another goofy college kid bumble, and it isn't like it's foreign to NFL players if he handles himself properly going forward.

Let's not kid ourselves though that it's some great betrayal of perceived freedom. We all have a vague clue abut the interwebs and information technology. You've surrendered that freedom to Facebook and Google and Yahoo and Twitter, and Microsoft so you can slavishly use their products. They've told you flat out they'll do what they want and you'll take it and like it, so it seems kind of silly to pretend to ignore the lower level game your contacts can use via the written information you've already exposed to data harvesting, archives and miscellaneous hackers because you seriously know you don't think twice about clicking the allow button for an app on your phone that you want.

It's kind of strange to argue you should have freedoms you already freely surrendered for the sake of a selective argument.

Fromm will pay the piper, anyone else will too as circumstances and choice of friends dictate.
    It's kinda like how drug dealers use code to take orders.

Everyone who's doing shady stuff via text message knows you use subterfuge.

25. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,248 Times in 10,821 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    It's kinda like how drug dealers use code to take orders.

Everyone who's doing shady stuff via text message knows you use subterfuge.
    Or learn to lie better. I mean at least keep it fresh and creative.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

This wasn't public. It was a private text exchange with some chick. It's like taking a private letter sent to someone and posting it for the world to see.

But yeah, he apologized, the team leaders accepted it and Fromm will stick with the team.

28. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (06-06-2020),Jan Reimers (06-06-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Context matters.