Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 8th pick

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    40,598
    Thanks
    8,435
    Thanked 11,461 Times in 8,392 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    96

    8th pick

    ok, guys. Argue away. Who do we want?

    I'm with coastal. Askarov or rossi. Perfetti is also an option.

  2. #2
    Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,751
    Thanks
    1,061
    Thanked 5,323 Times in 3,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    29

    Re: 8th pick

    Sabres are going defense at #8 with Jake Sanderson.

    A brand new GM is not taking a goalie in his first year with a top 10 pick. (If they keep the pick )

    No one the Sabres take at #8 will be any help to the team for a few years.

    They should try and formulate a trade package and get the immediate help they need.

    It's playoffs or bust in Buffalo.

  3. #3
    Registered User Ginger Vitis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,019
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 723 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    19

    Re: 8th pick

    Askarov

  4. #4
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,746
    Thanks
    6,013
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 3,238 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    36

    Re: 8th pick

    Trade it away. Here's the history of all three players we've selected with the #8 overall pick: Trade bait, AHL and not even playing with the Sabres(in order: Risto, Mittelstadt and Nylander.)

    Buffalo needs help NOW, not 3 years down the line.
    "Do I have everybody's attention now?" -CM Punk, Monday Night RAW, 7/11/2011

    "I will tell anybody who doesn't like the fact that I march to the beat of my own drum, and it's real simple: Kiss my ***. Stay the hell out of my way."
    -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 10/29/19

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    40,598
    Thanks
    8,435
    Thanked 11,461 Times in 8,392 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    96

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Trade it away. Here's the history of all three players we've selected with the #8 overall pick: Trade bait, AHL and not even playing with the Sabres(in order: Risto, Mittelstadt and Nylander.)

    Buffalo needs help NOW, not 3 years down the line.
    depends on what's available. I wouldnt be down trading it for a 28 year old winger coming out of his prime

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    40,598
    Thanks
    8,435
    Thanked 11,461 Times in 8,392 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    96

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Askarov
    I think at 8, askarov will have the highest ceiling.

    That said...

    Goaltenders are notorious for boom and bust. The sabres took goalies in the first rounds in 95 and 97, and it was a 99 5th rounder that turned into a franchise goalie.

    The sabres have UPL who has the making of being a high end goaltender if he develops. AND they drafted portillo in the 3rd last year. And he's playing for UofM next year, which is a goalie haven for development.

    That said, askarov could be the next Carey price or better. I'd hate to pass that up for a second liner. Ya know? Plus he will be playing in the KHL which is a high end league that'll allow him to develop off the sabres watch
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 06-28-2020 at 09:56 AM.

  7. #7
    Registered User Swiper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sparing my telomeres
    Posts
    23,952
    Thanks
    11,038
    Thanked 10,076 Times in 6,781 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    60

    Re: 8th pick

    If they take a goalie, the Sabres will play around with him for 3 or 4 years. He will show some flash, but not enough, mainly because the team in front of him is weak. The Sabres will dump him for peanuts and he will blossom somewhere else.

    I get that right, didn't I?
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

  8. #8
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,746
    Thanks
    6,013
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 3,238 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    36

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    depends on what's available. I wouldnt be down trading it for a 28 year old winger coming out of his prime
    What about for....say, Chicago's Dylan Strome, perhaps? He's 23 and would certainly qualify as a 2C that Buffalo DESPERATELY needs.

  9. #9
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    89,453
    Thanks
    10,316
    Thanked 19,235 Times in 9,629 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    249

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    What about for....say, Chicago's Dylan Strome, perhaps? He's 23 and would certainly qualify as a 2C that Buffalo DESPERATELY needs.
    Why would Chicago give him up, and what's the compensation? the 8th isn't enough for a legit 2c. Maybe the 8th and Risto? Do they need right hand defensemen?

  10. #10
    Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,751
    Thanks
    1,061
    Thanked 5,323 Times in 3,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    29

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Why would Chicago give him up, and what's the compensation? the 8th isn't enough for a legit 2c. Maybe the 8th and Risto? Do they need right hand defensemen?
    27 year old Conner Murphy is their top RH defensemen.

    19 year old Adam Boqvist is the other RH defensemen.

    So yes Risto would be a fit and Chicago could use a goalie (Askarov) for their system.

    Dylan had a decent year as a reclamation project, GP; 58 G; 12 ASST; 26 Points; 38.

    He's not worth trading #8 and Risto for tho.

    Chicago has pick #9 in the upcoming draft.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    40,598
    Thanks
    8,435
    Thanked 11,461 Times in 8,392 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    96

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    What about for....say, Chicago's Dylan Strome, perhaps? He's 23 and would certainly qualify as a 2C that Buffalo DESPERATELY needs.
    Probably trade risto and spare parts for stroke. I think hes undervalued, but I'd absolutely love him.

    I think if you package 8 and risto together, you aim higher

  12. #12
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13,746
    Thanks
    6,013
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 3,238 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    36

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Probably trade risto and spare parts for stroke. I think hes undervalued, but I'd absolutely love him.

    I think if you package 8 and risto together, you aim higher
    Which is what I'd like to see Buffalo do. The question is, who else do you pry from Chicago if you do make a move to get Strome?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    40,598
    Thanks
    8,435
    Thanked 11,461 Times in 8,392 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    96

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Which is what I'd like to see Buffalo do. The question is, who else do you pry from Chicago if you do make a move to get Strome?
    Thats the question. Get a younger guy who fills a role for the bottom 6?

  14. #14
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    89,453
    Thanks
    10,316
    Thanked 19,235 Times in 9,629 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    249

    Re: 8th pick

    At this point, I have so little faith in the organization that I'm basically just sitting back waiting to see how they screw up this time.

    I mean, seriously, I could sit here and state everything that's gone wrong under the Pegulas' ownership, but that would be beating a dead horse at this point. Let's take the opposite approach: what has gone right? Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, fine, but an 11 year old playing NHL 2015 in franchise mode could have made those picks. They were automatic. Skinner? Even his numbers were down.

    It's just really hard to find anything positive that the Pegulas are actually responsible for.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    40,598
    Thanks
    8,435
    Thanked 11,461 Times in 8,392 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    96

    Re: 8th pick

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    At this point, I have so little faith in the organization that I'm basically just sitting back waiting to see how they screw up this time.

    I mean, seriously, I could sit here and state everything that's gone wrong under the Pegulas' ownership, but that would be beating a dead horse at this point. Let's take the opposite approach: what has gone right? Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, fine, but an 11 year old playing NHL 2015 in franchise mode could have made those picks. They were automatic. Skinner? Even his numbers were down.

    It's just really hard to find anything positive that the Pegulas are actually responsible for.
    Skinner had a bad year. He should bounce back. The sabres did rob the hawks of joker so thats something

  16. Post thanked by:

    OpIv37 (Yesterday)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •