Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Bills sign G Winter

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,063
    Thanks
    1,801
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,163 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    If he's so good then why did the Jets cut him? You and justa have been trying to convince me all off-season that the OL would be fine despite the lack of talent upgrades. The Jets were 7-9 and really should have been 6-10 but we rested our starters in the finale. Now you're saying that rejects from losing teams are upgrades to our OL? So which is it? Is our OL fine or is our OL improved by signing rejects?
    They saved $7M by cutting him. And judging by the shambles their team is in, they probably would rather have that money for next year when they'll have a better chance than this year to compete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    PFF 2019 line ratings:

    Bills #21

    Jets #27

    Feliciano was a back-up, but a decent one. This new guy is road kill.
    LOL! So using O-line rankings proves that Winters isn't good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    No one's saying Winter is as good as Feliciano. The only defense anyone is making of this move is on the basis of whether he's useful as a possible Feliciano replacement.

    Plus, given COVID we should be stacking extra bodies in every corner we can find. One starting OL gets COVID, and who do you think he's most likely to give it to? Probably the other starting OLs. I'd rather have an extra below average lineman on the roster than to possibly watch Duke Williams play guard in Week 3.

    No harm at all here in adding depth that might not even make it out of camp. Weird move to criticize IMO.
    True. They're saying he's much better than Feliciano.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

  2. Post thanked by:

    The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  3. #22
    Protected by Jesus' Blood! Haile SpikedLemonade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    29,733
    Thanks
    35,216
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 8,392 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    73

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    My criticism isn't with these marginal moves but the continued historic lack of investment in dollars and in high draft picks to the Bills OL.

    We invest heavily on the DL at the expense of the OL and have been doing that for over 20 years.

  4. Post thanked by:

    Jimkelly12203 (08-05-2020),jimmifli (08-04-2020),OpIv37 (08-04-2020),The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  5. #23
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    90,347
    Thanks
    10,732
    Thanked 19,921 Times in 9,987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    253

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    My criticism isn't with these marginal moves but the continued historic lack of investment in dollars and in high draft picks to the Bills OL.

    We invest heavily on the DL at the expense of the OL and have been doing that for over 20 years.
    Or overpay a guy like Dockery then use it as an excuse to not sign any big name FA's for a decade

  6. Post thanked by:

    Jimkelly12203 (08-05-2020),The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  7. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,063
    Thanks
    1,801
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,163 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    My criticism isn't with these marginal moves but the continued historic lack of investment in dollars and in high draft picks to the Bills OL.

    We invest heavily on the DL at the expense of the OL and have been doing that for over 20 years.
    The Bills have used 2 high 2nd rounders on OTs and spent a lot on a C in FA. OGs don't require high picks and they've had pretty decent ones.

  8. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,899
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    25

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Winters, as RG, is better than Long, who was also released by the same Jets couple of years ago. Now Long is gone, Bates may have made the team as he's next C behind Morse.

  9. Post thanked by:

    Mace (08-04-2020),The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  10. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,063
    Thanks
    1,801
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,163 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Winters, as RG, is better than Long, who was also released by the same Jets couple of years ago. Now Long is gone, Bates may have made the team as he's next C behind Morse.
    I've heard many who said he's a lot better than Feliciano and slightly better than Spain. I guess we'll find out. Although I'm hoping that Daryl Williams reverts to his old form at RT and Ford wins the RG job and becomes a stud there.

  11. Post thanked by:

    The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  12. #27
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    64,227
    Thanks
    2,906
    Thanked 8,709 Times in 5,208 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    247

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Or overpay a guy like Dockery then use it as an excuse to not sign any big name FA's for a decade
    What does Dockery have to do with Beane now?

  13. #28
    Registered User Saratoga Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 566 Times in 265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    23

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Apparently this discussion is all possibly moot. Per Jay Skurski at the BNews, we haven't actually signed Brian Winters yet. Link is here but requires a sub.

    That said, the release of Long is apparently to make extra cap space for Winters.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

  14. #29
    Registered User Saratoga Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 566 Times in 265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    23

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    My criticism isn't with these marginal moves but the continued historic lack of investment in dollars and in high draft picks to the Bills OL.
    We invest heavily on the DL at the expense of the OL and have been doing that for over 20 years.
    This I agree with.

    I'm just not too emotionally involved in depth signings.

  15. #30
    Well, lookie here...
    YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    71,431
    Thanks
    21,646
    Thanked 22,971 Times in 12,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    201

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Any assumption that any Jets move has a rational, logical or sensical motivation behind it is a gross error in judgement all on it's own.

    It's the ****ing Jets for chrissakes, why they cut someone isn't real high on the 'yeah, but...' list.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

  16. Post thanked by:

    Jimkelly12203 (08-05-2020)

  17. #31
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,576
    Thanks
    2,191
    Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Again the Jets ........... not the sharpest set of knives in the drawer.

  18. Post thanked by:

    Mace (08-04-2020)

  19. #32
    Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    15,246
    Thanks
    17,874
    Thanked 12,904 Times in 7,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    43

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I've heard many who said he's a lot better than Feliciano and slightly better than Spain. I guess we'll find out. Although I'm hoping that Daryl Williams reverts to his old form at RT and Ford wins the RG job and becomes a stud there.
    Yeah, many people and some people. Many people and some people say Winters has injury issues that precluded his salary.

    That said, he'd be a perfectly fine addition at a reasonable price for what you'd expect from him.

    I still say there's absolutely nothing wrong with Feliciano who was set to contend for a starter spot but was buried in a good Raiders o-line before he came here, and brings some Incognito to his game. I don't for that matter think there's a thing wrong with the Bills o-line besides the fact we're incapable of developing them ourselves, besides Daboll and his unfocused game plan and play calls.

    If anyone actually watched the games, the OL coach is proficient, and the dumb things largely happened when dumb things were called, like having no one to block JJ Watt when you don't have a tight end on the field with a blocking scheme pulling away from him on a pass play or your blocking fullback is going long against double DB coverage on an obviously slow developing play where, well, you're sending your blocking fullback long against double DB coverage. If you can double a blocking fullback going long, and the play actually goes to him, it's pretty obvious there's nothing much the OL is going to do to save it.

    Winters, if they sign him, was a sharp move, but I'd expect more glory from grabbing Daryl Williams. Williams is an offseason gem, imho.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

  20. Post thanked by:

    Jimkelly12203 (08-05-2020),The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020),YardRat (08-05-2020)

  21. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,063
    Thanks
    1,801
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,163 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Yeah, many people and some people. Many people and some people say Winters has injury issues that precluded his salary.

    That said, he'd be a perfectly fine addition at a reasonable price for what you'd expect from him.

    I still say there's absolutely nothing wrong with Feliciano who was set to contend for a starter spot but was buried in a good Raiders o-line before he came here, and brings some Incognito to his game. I don't for that matter think there's a thing wrong with the Bills o-line besides the fact we're incapable of developing them ourselves, besides Daboll and his unfocused game plan and play calls.

    If anyone actually watched the games, the OL coach is proficient, and the dumb things largely happened when dumb things were called, like having no one to block JJ Watt when you don't have a tight end on the field with a blocking scheme pulling away from him on a pass play or your blocking fullback is going long against double DB coverage on an obviously slow developing play where, well, you're sending your blocking fullback long against double DB coverage. If you can double a blocking fullback going long, and the play actually goes to him, it's pretty obvious there's nothing much the OL is going to do to save it.

    Winters, if they sign him, was a sharp move, but I'd expect more glory from grabbing Daryl Williams. Williams is an offseason gem, imho.
    True, injury may be a concern. He missed 7 games last year and 3 games in 2 other seasons. But when he plays, he is better than Feliciano, which is meant as no disrespect to Feliciano, it just is what it is. Getting a guy like him to replace, especially if he upgrades, Feliciano, was a good move.

    As for the other stuff you said, I agree. Hopefully thereís enough talent on the team to overcome Daboll because I donít see them replacing him before the end of the season, if even even.

  22. Post thanked by:

    The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  23. #34
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    16,949
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 459 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    132

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Now we just need to sign him. I think he will be an upgrade over Feliciano, and will win the starting job.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

  24. Post thanked by:

    The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  25. #35
    Registered User Jimkelly12203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,815
    Thanks
    2,651
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 855 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    9

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    The article says he was the longest standing Jet at time of release. Cap casualty. They were set to pay him 7.1M.

    Jets OL has been tripe, but it sounds like he's a good, veteran player. Good signing IMO since we just lost our best (IMO) OLman.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!


  26. Post thanked by:

    The last buffalo fan (08-05-2020)

  27. #36
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    16,949
    Thanks
    1,270
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 459 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    132

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    I just checked, and he's not listed on our roster. I hope we haven't let him slip away.

  28. #37
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,576
    Thanks
    2,191
    Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: Bills sign G Winter


    While the contract details have yet to be announced, it has been reported that
    Brian Winters, formerly of the New York Jets, will be signing a one-year deal with Buffalo. The move was not too big of a surprise, as Beane has been notorious for stacking talent along the offensive line over the past two years.

    https-::www.buffalorumblings.com:2020:821355333:bbr-brian-winters-is-in-changes-for-the-buffalo-bills-offensive-line-spencer-long-jon-feliciano

  29. Post thanked by:

    Jan Reimers (08-07-2020)

  30. #38
    Moderator Yasgur's Farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    1,239
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 628 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    40

    Re: Bills sign G Winter


  31. Post thanked by:

    Jan Reimers (08-07-2020)

  32. #39
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,576
    Thanks
    2,191
    Thanked 2,368 Times in 1,832 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: Bills sign G Winter

    Every good Beane and a very reasonable deal.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •