Thread: All-22 analysis: Buffalo Bills can count on Dion Dawkins

Thanks
    Thanked 8,306 Times in 3,761 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All-22 analysis: Buffalo Bills can count on Dion Dawkins

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/202...n-dion-dawkins

Toward the beginning of the year, we reviewed a whole heck of a lot of players. Mostly our end-of-season review focuses on players who could be leaving the Buffalo Bills as Buffalo Rumblings simulates the front office and the decisions they need to make. But that leaves unfinished business in the way of players who we know will be back.
    With such a strange season in front of us though, thereís good reason to circle back and check in on some guys we missed. Continuity might be pretty useful in a season such as this. Letís keep going then on All-22 reviews of the offensive line, starting with the ShnowMan Dion Dawkins.

more...

2. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (08-13-2020),Mace (08-06-2020),YardRat (08-05-2020)

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,969 Times in 12,866 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: All-22 analysis: Buffalo Bills can count on Dion Dawkins

I wouldn't consider Play 2 a 'loss', he rode Judon across the QB face and used the rusher's momentum in his favor, taking him out of the play.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-05-2020),Mace (08-06-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I wouldn't consider Play 2 a 'loss', he rode Judon across the QB face and used the rusher's momentum in his favor, taking him out of the play.
    He got beat early and recovered as best he could. Judon affected the play but Dawkins gave Josh a chance to still make something happen.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-06-2020),YardRat (08-06-2020)

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,899 Times in 7,043 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with both of you. That's what you want your left tackle doing. He's not going to win every play but how does he recover ?

I have no problems whatever with Dion Dawkins and don't understand why anyone does.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

8. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-06-2020),YardRat (08-06-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I agree with both of you. That's what you want your left tackle doing. He's not going to win every play but how does he recover ?

I have no problems whatever with Dion Dawkins and don't understand why anyone does.
    The play where he seals the line and lets Morse and Singletary through was consistently our best running play all season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The left side of the line is dominant on this play. Dawkins seals, Spain "pulls" (he's so slow and immobile it's more like a seal but he isn't being asked to get downfield), that creates a hole for Morse and Singletary to slip through, and then Morse is so good a downfield blocking picks the best man to block.

They did this all season. Dawkins, Spain and Morse as a unit are above average, maybe I'd even say very good.

11. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-14-2020),YardRat (08-07-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bump for Spiked.

Protected by Jesus' Blood! Haile SpikedLemonade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,383 Times in 8,387 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah I read it and Dawkins looked good on those plays.

I just saw too much pressure on passing downs from the left side to fall in love with Dawkins.

Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about Dawkins.

If he plays above average, he solves a lot issues along our OL.

14. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,167 Times in 3,202 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post

The left side of the line is dominant on this play. Dawkins seals, Spain "pulls" (he's so slow and immobile it's more like a seal but he isn't being asked to get downfield), that creates a hole for Morse and Singletary to slip through, and then Morse is so good a downfield blocking picks the best man to block.

They did this all season. Dawkins, Spain and Morse as a unit are above average, maybe I'd even say very good.
    This is a play where the OC screams.."That's EXACTLY how I drew it up!!"

Dawkins' and Spain's blocks weren't particularly difficult to make. Dawkins had an angle on his guy and all he had to do was seal, Spain just had a kick out block.

Better yet, the motion man drew one DB away from the play side, and another DB inexplicably followed Knox to the inside. Maybe he had man, maybe he was afraid of what Morse would do to him..but he took himself out of the play. the best part is watching Morse looking for someone to block.

I can almost hear him screaming.."doesn't anyone want to play for Blood?!"

On that play, I score a point for Daboll.

16. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-14-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    This is a play where the OC screams.."That's EXACTLY how I drew it up!!"

Dawkins' and Spain's blocks weren't particularly difficult to make. Dawkins had an angle on his guy and all he had to do was seal, Spain just had a kick out block.

Better yet, the motion man drew one DB away from the play side, and another DB inexplicably followed Knox to the inside. Maybe he had man, maybe he was afraid of what Morse would do to him..but he took himself out of the play. the best part is watching Morse looking for someone to block.

I can almost hear him screaming.."doesn't anyone want to play for Blood?!"

On that play, I score a point for Daboll.
    I love Morse. But another big part of the play was Dawkins, he squares up and handfights and lets the DE get a half step inside before he seals sideways. There was no tipoff or telegraphing, he sold a headsup block and then sealed.

The only rough part of this play is the RG (I can't see the number) falling and allowing 94 back into the play (great hustle on his part).

Agreed on Daboll, he does seem to scheme a lot of free plays that don't require talented players to make exceptional plays.

And I love Morse.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Check out this Singletary highlight video and watch Dawkins block. Count how many times they used the play above! Teams know it's coming and still had no answer.

Also check out:

the cut block at 1:12
    the downfield block at 2:15
    ride the DE upfield at 3:30 (also Morse)
    The block at 4:23 shouldn't be possible in the NFL

Thanks
    Thanked 8,167 Times in 3,202 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    I love Morse. But another big part of the play was Dawkins, he squares up and handfights and lets the DE get a half step inside before he seals sideways. There was no tipoff or telegraphing, he sold a headsup block and then sealed.

The only rough part of this play is the RG (I can't see the number) falling and allowing 94 back into the play (great hustle on his part).

Agreed on Daboll, he does seem to scheme a lot of free plays that don't require talented players to make exceptional plays.

And I love Morse.
    RG Feliciano (maybe Long?) really had the toughest block to make on that play. His assignment was lined up over Morse and the play was going to the left. So the DT is going to be moving towards the play, furthering the distance on an already difficult reach block.
    Not an easy thing to do when your assignment is several feet away from you, moving away AND moving into the backfield.

Its an example of why I always hated Dennison coming in an using his zone blocking scheme. Glenn, Ritchie and Wood were very good at taking on people heads up. And it was proven, as they led the league in rushing the year before. Then Dennison came in with his heavy dose of stretch plays where he had them diving at people's ankles.

Im also going to give big props on the play to Singletary. When he gets the handoff, he looks to be within a foot or 2 of the DT/RG mess. One quick step to his right and he moves to the hole. There isn't much time or room to react. But he does. Many RB's would have ended up hitting the pile and the play would have gone for a short loss or stopped at the LOS.

20. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-17-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Im also going to give big props on the play to Singletary. When he gets the handoff, he looks to be within a foot or 2 of the DT/RG mess. One quick step to his right and he moves to the hole. There isn't much time or room to react. But he does. Many RB's would have ended up hitting the pile and the play would have gone for a short loss or stopped at the LOS.
    Last season I mentioned how much he reminds me of Fred Jackson for the first 3 yards of the carry. He seems to be really patient and float and then is incredibly decisive. He rarely makes mistakes and always seems to find the hole, and often can fake the LB into the wrong gap. Once he's broken through his running style isn't similar but the timing and decision making (and lack of speed that somehow doesn't matter) all look like Fred around the LOS.