Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deion Sanders Calls Out Those Who Opt Out

Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,808 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Deion Sanders Calls Out Those Who Opt Out

“All Players OPTING out in all sports PLEASE BELIEVE the game will go on without u,” Sanders said on Twitter. “This is a business & don’t u EVER forget that. There’s NO ONE that’s bigger than the game itself. Only the ref, umps & officials are that important that u can’t play without them. NOT YOU! #Truth.”

https-::profootballtalk.nbcsports.com:2020:08:08:deion-sanders-calls-out-those-who-opt-out:

2. Post thanked by:

TacoJo (08-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,808 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Deion Sanders Calls Out Those Who Opt Out

With the opt-out window closed for the NFL and with Deion probably not particularly concerned about opt outs in other sports, his message unmistakably is intended for college football players. Perhaps specifically those at Florida State, the college he attended and openly aspires to return to as head coach. Given his desire to be a college football head coach (he has guaranteed he’ll have a head coaching job in 2021), it’s no surprise that he shares the viewpoints and attitudes of the men who are bracing to see how many of their players say sayonarato college football for 2020.

https-::profootballtalk.nbcsports.com:2020:08:08:deion-sanders-calls-out-those-who-opt-out:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,052 Times in 2,159 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's right.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

5. Post thanked by:

Jan Reimers (08-10-2020),TacklingDummy (08-16-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He is an idiot ref, umps & officials can be replaced just as easily!

7. Post thanked by:

notacon (08-11-2020)

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,739 Times in 3,627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    He is an idiot ref, umps & officials can be replaced just as easily!
    We seen that **** show before.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,940 Times in 5,071 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Players can take care of themselves and monitor their own finances.
    " When we were young, we were poor. But that didn't stop us from being miserable."

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,892 Times in 7,039 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    He's right.
    Well sure he's right, and it's obvious to anyone.

But it also has nothing to do with why anyone opted out. Like seriously, what imbecile would think any of those players opted out because they think they're "bigger than the sport" and the game would stop because they did so ?

It's a ridiculous premise to state the obvious, for no good reason I can see.

Get on out there and suit up Deon ! Oh....you can't. Convenient.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

11. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-09-2020),feldspar (08-09-2020),Haile SpikedLemonade (08-10-2020),Jimkelly12203 (08-10-2020),jimmifli (08-11-2020),Night Train (08-09-2020),OLDSRIP (08-10-2020),Swiper (08-09-2020),YardRat (08-09-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Well sure he's right, and it's obvious to anyone.

But it also has nothing to do with why anyone opted out. Like seriously, what imbecile would think any of those players opted out because they think they're "bigger than the sport" and the game would stop because they did so ?

It's a ridiculous premise to state the obvious, for no good reason I can see.

Get on out there and suit up Deon ! Oh....you can't. Convenient.
    Oh, I'm not casting aspersions on those who opted-out. I'm just agreeing that the game will go on without them and when they return they might find themselves without a job.

And if a vaccine cannot be developed...it's the end of their careers, right? Or do they take the chance and expose themselves and their loved ones just to (now) make a paycheck?

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,739 Times in 3,627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Can school teachers opt out?

14. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-09-2020),Haile SpikedLemonade (08-10-2020),Jimkelly12203 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Sure, just like anyone in any other field can. It's called "quitting." Sports players (always) just have it better than everyone else.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,407 Times in 7,017 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Opt out and be paid?

Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

Thanks
    Thanked 10,155 Times in 5,954 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’ll answer...

no.

Well, lookie here...
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,909 Times in 12,838 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Depends on what you consider 'opt out'.

Younger ones probably not, but any veterans (depending on the language in their contract) most likely have enough sick/personal days banked to be able to take an entire year off without losing any pay.

I would bet real money there have been discussions on many levels regarding possible MOA's being added to contracts to allow some form of opting out.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 458 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I will say this with every expectation of being called an ass, an idiot and worse: I believe every healthy player with no pre-existing medical conditions is a coward for opting out. They have simply bought into the MSM/political hype, without any real understanding that virtually no athletic, healthy, young, 20 or 30 something year old people die from COVID. Those rare players with serious medical problems, I understand. The rest certainly have a right not to play, but to me they are more like frightened children.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

20. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (08-11-2020),yordad (08-11-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    I will say this with every expectation of being called an ass, an idiot and worse: I believe every healthy player with no pre-existing medical conditions is a coward for opting out. They have simply bought into the MSM/political hype, without any real understanding that virtually no athletic, healthy, young, 20 or 30 something year old people die from COVID. Those rare players with serious medical problems, I understand. The rest certainly have a right not to play, but to me they are more like frightened children.
    I wouldn't call them cowards. Overly-cautious, sure. Will they regret it later? Probably. Will I laugh at the irony if they develop (a mild case of) COVID anyway? Definitely.

22. Post thanked by:

Jan Reimers (08-11-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How about we just call you wrong? Again. I've seen it up close several times in the small sphere of COVID19 I work around. Perfectly healthy young people dead from the virus. There have been many such news reports of healthy people dead from the virus that, I guess, you choose to ignore. When the MSM reports a 30 year old previously healthy individual is dead from the virus, they aren't giving into their perceived biases, they're merely reporting the news. You couldn't be more wrong. And, yes, you look uninformed and biased for posting what you did. I refrained from calling you stupid. I'll leave that for others.
    Last edited by Swiper; 08-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.

24. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (08-10-2020),notacon (08-11-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wouldn't call them cowards. Overly-cautious, sure. Will they regret it later? Probably. Will I laugh at the irony if they develop (a mild case of) COVID anyway? Definitely.
    You shouldn't laugh at anyone that gets sick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What about their families though?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Depends on what you consider 'opt out'.

Younger ones probably not, but any veterans (depending on the language in their contract) most likely have enough sick/personal days banked to be able to take an entire year off without losing any pay.

I would bet real money there have been discussions on many levels regarding possible MOA's being added to contracts to allow some form of opting out.
    What is an MOA?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure, just like anyone in any other field can. It's called "quitting." Sports players (always) just have it better than everyone else.
    There will be a teacher shortage when Covid is over. Some are outright quitting. Many are taking their years and retiring from the profession.

It is sad though I love the way people think it is easy to just quit. You are talking about men and women who have invested a great deal of their personal time to build their careers and classrooms with the expectation the rug wasn't going to be pulled out from under them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    You shouldn't laugh at anyone that gets sick.
    I'm laughing at the irony. Not at them getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    There will be a teacher shortage when Covid is over. Some are outright quitting. Many are taking their years and retiring from the profession.

It is sad though I love the way people think it is easy to just quit. You are talking about men and women who have invested a great deal of their personal time to build their careers and classrooms with the expectation the rug wasn't going to be pulled out from under them.
    Yeah, if they think it will be just as easy as getting their old jobs back, good luck with that one. Again a vaccine might never be developed so do they not work forever?