Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beat who they are “suppose” to beat.

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Beat who they are “suppose” to beat.

Talking with a buddy about the schedule, we came up with an interesting take.

People are talking about beating the jets and dolphins doesn’t mean much, but if you look at all the successful teams around the league over the years, Espcially the pats. They almost never lose the games they are suppose to win. That’s something that has plagued the bills over the years. They would lose to much inferior teams. When you win all the games you should win, you really only have to go 500 or so agaisnt the good teams. Some people expect 16-0 and really if you go 11-5 or 12-4. That means you lost 5 games... I can see it now if they lose to the rams. The sky will be falling for some people. Obviously it would be great to win. But by no means is this a must win.

2. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-23-2020),Mace (09-23-2020),TacoJo (09-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,639 Times in 3,288 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Beat who they are “suppose” to beat.

The Rams have a good team, we are better.

4. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (09-23-2020)

One Now
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    If both Milano and Edmunds play on Sunday, then I think we have a slight advantage, maybe 55% chance the Bills win IMHO. ))

The Rams are looking good, and have done well against a slightly tougher schedule so far?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 945 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    we'll see. They're pretty damn good. Just like us. And they have a great head coach. Just like us.

We could really use a big assist from the governor on this one...
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

7. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (09-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 3,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Crappy logo redesign... bills win simply because the Ram players are embarrassed. Like a bad haircut in 7th grade right before the dance.

9. Post thanked by:

bleve (09-23-2020),Mace (09-23-2020),The last buffalo fan (09-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,172 Times in 10,135 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Disagree.

Even in the Pats' best years, they often struggled with the Dolphins. Even in our bad years, we still usually beat the teams we were supposed to beat. The problem is that most teams were better than us and we weren't expected to beat them.

This team's problem is that they're bottom feeders. They beat the Jets and Dolphins of the world but struggle against the good teams. Last year, we were 1-5 against teams that finished over .500, and the only team we beat was the Titans when they were still starting Mariota. Until we can actually beat the good teams, what you see is what you get. If we get a lot of help like 2017, or an easy schedule like 2019, we'll make the playoffs and lose in the first round.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Disagree.

Even in the Pats' best years, they often struggled with the Dolphins. Even in our bad years, we still usually beat the teams we were supposed to beat. The problem is that most teams were better than us and we weren't expected to beat them.

This team's problem is that they're bottom feeders. They beat the Jets and Dolphins of the world but struggle against the good teams. Last year, we were 1-5 against teams that finished over .500, and the only team we beat was the Titans when they were still starting Mariota. Until we can actually beat the good teams, what you see is what you get. If we get a lot of help like 2017, or an easy schedule like 2019, we'll make the playoffs and lose in the first round.
    This is this year. Reflecting on the past and projecting it forward again and again.

even I am not the same as last year nor did I project myself to be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    This is this year. Reflecting on the past and projecting it forward again and again.

even I am not the same as last year nor did I project myself to be.
    the past like LAST SEASON?

I'll believe this team can hang with the good teams if and only if they prove it. Given the amount of times this team was supposed to be better but wasn't, I don't know how any fan can think any differently.

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Disagree.

The pats legit ONLY lost to the dolphins, almsot never lost to any other bad teams. Usualy won by more than 2 scores.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the past like LAST SEASON?

I'll believe this team can hang with the good teams if and only if they prove it. Given the amount of times this team was supposed to be better but wasn't, I don't know how any fan can think any differently.
    Yes the past LIKE LAST SEASON.

last season cannot change and has zero to do with this season. Every player is different than last season some slower some better with experience some no longer ailing some still suck but at a different level. Opponents are different...

the past does not predict the future. The past is a story the future is a dream or nightmare depending on one’s projecting.

problem for us humans is we think but the only time we cannot think about is the present. Past reliving future projecting.

if it was ever accurate then gambling would be either so easy or impossible.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,889 Times in 5,343 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

last season cannot change and has zero to do with this season.

Haha! You're arguing with someone who thinks this team is the same team from 20 years ago.
    Pegulas team is still the same team as Donahoes.
    McD teams is still the same team as Jauron.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes the past LIKE LAST SEASON.

last season cannot change and has zero to do with this season. Every player is different than last season some slower some better with experience some no longer ailing some still suck but at a different level. Opponents are different...

the past does not predict the future. The past is a story the future is a dream or nightmare depending on one’s projecting.

problem for us humans is we think but the only time we cannot think about is the present. Past reliving future projecting.

if it was ever accurate then gambling would be either so easy or impossible.
    Last season has a lot to do with this season because we still have a lot of the same players and all the same coaches. It’s not a perfect indicator but it’s the best one we have. Last season, we couldn’t beat the good teams. Can we do it this season? I’ll believe it when I see it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Haha! You're arguing with someone who thinks this team is the same team from 20 years ago.
    Pegulas team is still the same team as Donahoes.
    McD teams is still the same team as Jauron.
    Edmunds would always be a rookie or second year pro

No player would ever hit their prime if all we did was use “last year” as truth.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Last season has a lot to do with this season because we still have a lot of the same players and all the same coaches. It’s not a perfect indicator but it’s the best one we have. Last season, we couldn’t beat the good teams. Can we do it this season? I’ll believe it when I see it.
    indicator isn’t truth. You’ll believe it when it is relegated to the past, obviously.

Peterman rocks and Pink knows it. Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,018 Times in 7,107 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Disagree.

As much as I respect your pessimism, and understand the perspective, you're kind of trying too hard.

It's silly to disagree with "good teams beat who they are supposed to".

The Pats absolutely did, whether or not they struggled doing it. The Bills didn't, besides short stretches when they flirted with average, there's not even a "usually" to it.
    I lost a bet with Pink and all I got was this dumb avatar that I've had awhile anyway.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    As much as I respect your pessimism, and understand the perspective, you're kind of trying too hard.

It's silly to disagree with "good teams beat who they are supposed to".

The Pats absolutely did, whether or not they struggled doing it. The Bills didn't, besides short stretches when they flirted with average, there's not even a "usually" to it.
    Of course good teams beat who they are supposed to. But it be a good team, you have to beat the other good teams too, not just the teams you are supposed to beat. We beat everyone we were supposed to beat last year except the Browns and the Jets, and the Jets game doesn’t really count because we were resting starters. We still weren’t a good team because we didn’t beat any good teams and it showed in the playoffs.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 09-23-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,136 Times in 5,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm never sure I have the other teams figured out.

So I take every win as earned and not " avoiding an upset "
    " When we were young, we were poor. But that didn't stop us from being miserable."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,369 Times in 4,239 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Opie has personal problems, so we'll have to be patient with him.

He obviously has self-imposed defense mechanisms. Doesn't want to damage himself by having hope, and seeing those hopes dashed.

Things change, but Opie doesn't really want that. Change is too scary, I guess.

What we have here in Buffalo is not a bad football team. You'd think anybody would have a wait-and-see attitude at the very least. Let it play out without prejudice against the guys you supposedly are rooting for...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,889 Times in 5,343 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post

He obviously has self-imposed defense mechanisms. Doesn't want to damage himself by having hope, and seeing those hopes dashed.

What we have here in Buffalo is not a bad football team. You'd think anybody would have a wait-and-see attitude at the very least. Let it play out without prejudice against the guys you supposedly are rooting for...
    he'd rather be right than see the bills succeed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post

What the hell are you babbling about?

I said I'll believe they can do it when they prove it. How is that any different than "wait and see?"

I mean, for ****'s sake, with all the times this team was supposed to be good but wasn't, I'd expect people to be understanding of the "I'll believe it when they prove it" mentality. It really shouldn't be that controversial around here.