Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack was told get the surgery or the team will withhold money / challenge contract

Thanks
    Thanked 5,280 Times in 3,733 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jack was told get the surgery or the team will withhold money / challenge contract

There’s language in standard contracts about behaving properly & Jack’s delays in getting prepared for this season was going to cost him. He was told get the normal surgery & get back on the ice or no pay. The Sabres floated that they wanted a rider of no guaranteed payment on his previous contract if he wanted to go rogue with an unknown surgery, so they gave him a chance at a potential cost to him if he couldn’t play anymore. Jack’s new agent told him the same thing as the old agent, this time Jack caved. Jack got boxed in & thought he could just do whatever he wanted to do, that didn’t work out.

Time for him to get to work showcasing his skills for his next team, he won’t be staying in Buffalo past the trade deadline.
    Last edited by Skooby; 09-06-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jack was told get the surgery or the team will withhold money / challenge contrac

NHL contracts are guaranteed. You can't just hold out pay, especially when it would be easy to prove the injury is hockey related. I am confident Eichel doesn't care if they terminate his contract. He will go where he wants (which will be his choice of 31 teams really) and the Sabres will get nothing in return. That will show him.

3. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (09-07-2021)

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,554 Times in 11,932 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jack was told get the surgery or the team will withhold money / challenge contrac

Link or it’s BS.

5. Post thanked by:

Night Train (09-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,545 Times in 8,395 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    NHL contracts are guaranteed. You can't just hold out pay, especially when it would be easy to prove the injury is hockey related. I am confident Eichel doesn't care if they terminate his contract. He will go where he wants (which will be his choice of 31 teams really) and the Sabres will get nothing in return. That will show him.
    They don't have to pay him if he doesn't do what he has agreed to do in the contract. He hasn't. They aren't going to terminate his contract, they are going to hold him to what he signed. Eichel is the negligent entity here, not the Sabres.

He's been carrying on like the naive little entitled ***** that he is.
    Last edited by swiper; 09-06-2021 at 04:08 PM.

7. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-10-2021),Novacane (09-08-2021),Skooby (09-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,224 Times in 10,295 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

While I want to see skoobs source, I heard jack was getting the Sabres recommended surgery as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    While I want to see skoobs source, I heard jack was getting the Sabres recommended surgery as well.
    Jack was told get well or else, heís following the teamís advice. My sources are irrelevant, youíll read about this soon.

10. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    Jack was told get well or else, he’s following the team’s advice. My sources are irrelevant, you’ll read about this soon.
    It's not like it's secret. Lots of people who cover the sabres at amateur levels say the same thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,989 Times in 4,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jack was also told to grow a soul patch, eat more vegetables, don’t sit so close to the TV and “hey stop doing that with your ear! Do that long enough and it’ll stay that way.”

(Disclosure: I’m the source via email to the Sabres to a guy named “Greg”.)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    They don't have to pay him if he doesn't do what he has agreed to do in the contract. He hasn't. They aren't going to terminate his contract, they are going to hold him to what he signed. Eichel is the negligent entity here, not the Sabres.

He's been carrying on like the naive little entitled ***** that he is.
    They can take him to court or suspend him, you can't just withhold pay. I'm sure there are fine mechanisms too.

Fighting with the talent will surely not help with the recruiting of FA's

Thanks
    Thanked 4,649 Times in 3,643 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Link or it’s BS.
    I got it from Paulie.

Never questioned it.
    But New Englandís Week 1 loss to the Miami Dolphins (-4.5) looms large in the tiebreaker scenarios. If Buffalo can win one game against New England either this week or on December 26th (as well as handle the New York Jets (+7) in Week 18), the Bills will hold the divisional record tiebreaker over the Patriots.

15. Post thanked by:

Skooby (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They can take him to court or suspend him, you can't just withhold pay. I'm sure there are fine mechanisms too.

It looks like it never came to that, thankfully

Thanks
    Thanked 26,911 Times in 15,054 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Link or it’s BS.
    If he had a url tattooed on his ass, I'm sure he would gladly show you.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

18. Post thanked by:

Skooby (09-08-2021)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't understand contracts. A) if the player is not holding up to his end of the contract, they do not have to pay him. You don't understand what the word "guarantee" means in the contract. It's only guaranteed if he shows up ready to play and does what the team tells him to do to get there. Period. These are the facts.

B) They are not fighting with the talent. They are holding ONE player to his contract, as they should be doing. And that every other team would do as well. And every player in the league understands what is going on, so no FA is going to avoid Buffalo over this.
    Last edited by swiper; 09-07-2021 at 09:13 PM.

20. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-10-2021),Skooby (09-08-2021)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Been saving that one, have you?

22. Post thanked by:

Skooby (09-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,911 Times in 15,054 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Been saving that one, have you?
    I've used it a few times over the years.

24. Post thanked by:

swiper (09-07-2021)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't understand contracts. A) if the player is not holding up to his end of the contract, they do not have to pay him. You don't understand what the word "guarantee" means in the contract. It's only guaranteed if he shows up ready to play and does what the team tells him to do to get there. Period. These are the facts.

B) They are not fighting with the talent. They are holding ONE player to his contract, as they should be doing. And that every other team would do as well. And every player in the league understands what is going on, so no FA is going to avoid Buffalo over this.
    I'm comfortable with how NHL contracts work. The second he is not paid, he is filing a grievance which would be fighting with your player. I would argue that most players in the league aren't super informed and that they would most likely side with the player. So why would they sign there?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    LOL, always a classic.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm comfortable with how NHL contracts work. The second he is not paid, he is filing a grievance which would be fighting with your player. I would argue that most players in the league aren't super informed and that they would most likely side with the player. So why would they sign there?
    Again. It's not fighting. It's holding a player to his contract. And every other team in the NHL would be doing the same thing in this situation. Furthermore, no one can stop a player from filing a grievance about anything, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on as the contract language is clear and he is in breach of the contract, not the Sabres.

The Sabres have had Eichel examined by multiple experts in the field of his injury and have followed their advice. Eichel, a kid, has been talked into this disc replacement by one guy who admits there is no track record of it's use in the NHL or other major professional sports.

28. Post thanked by:

Skooby (09-09-2021)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,676 Times in 6,629 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Link or it’s BS.

It usually is. Fantasy world.
    We don't even have pictures
    Just memories to hold
    That grow sweeter each season
    As we slowly grow old...

30. Post thanked by:

Skooby (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Eichel got the Sabres recommended surgery, it definitely makes him more tradable

32. Post thanked by:

Skooby (09-09-2021)