Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mahomes vs Allen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mahomes vs Allen

Mahomes is in NFL 5 years now, Allen 4. So kind of known quality.

In my mind, Mahomes' playing level is fairly steady - with normal up and down like everyone else (this year has a ugly stretch) - but still regarded as the very top level in NFL.

Allen is still evolving, but I can say he tends to be more volatile than Mahomes ( I haven't seen Mahomes playing teams like Jags and not score more than 6 points). But his highs like the last 2 Pats game are better than Mahomes ever produced. Honestly, I, like everyone else, didn't expect Allen to perform at the Foxborough game level any time soon, but he topped that last Sunday. It will be an eye opening experience for us all if he can play near that level for the next couple of games, and if he does, I'd put him right up at the Mahomes level, if not outright passing Mahomes..

2. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (01-17-2022),Jimkelly12203 (01-17-2022),Mace (01-17-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,605 Times in 15,583 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mahomes vs Allen

I think he's better than Mahomes right now, but admit I can't help a little bit of bias.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (01-18-2022),Jimkelly12203 (01-17-2022),notacon (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,325 Times in 4,227 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    The Bills scored a touchdown on every drive. They are the first team in NFL history to not punt, not attempt a field goal, and not have a turnover. Eight drives for seven touchdowns and the end of the game.
    Buffalo had more touchdowns (7) than third-down attempts (6).
    In Week 16, the Bills were the first team to not be forced to punt by a Bill Belichick defense. On Saturday night, they became the second. They havenít punted in 20 straight possessions against the Patriots and their only three drives without a score in that time frame are when the clock hit zeroes at the end of the halves.
    It was the fourth-most points allowed in franchise history.
    The 30-point loss is the second-worst in Belichick history. Buffaloís 31-0 opening week shutout in 2003 barely tops it.
    The Bills became the first team to ever score four straight touchdowns to open a game against Belichick. Of course they didnít stop there, scoring seven straight.
    Football Outsiders has it as the second-best offensive performance of all-time, but Aaron Schatz says if you factor in penalties, the Bills was the best.
    Itís the second-most points ever scored by the Bills in a playoff game. You might remember the 51-3 win in the AFC Championship in January 1991.
    Not exactly absurd, but still noteworthy; zero sacks allowed, zero tackles for a loss, one QB hit.
    Josh Allen had more touchdowns (5) than incompletions (4). Only five QBs have ever done that; Daryle Lamonica (1969), Peyton Manning (2004), Tom Brady (2008), Kurt Warner (2010), and now Allen (2022).
    The five touchdown passes was the most ever in a playoff game by a Bills QB.
    Allen set the record for highest QBR in the history of the stat (2006) with a 98.5 Total QBR. The record had been held by Tom Brady for 14 years.
    He is the first player in NFL history with 5 passing TDs, 80+% completion percentage, and 50+ rushing yards in a single game.
    Heís the first QB in NFL playoff history with 300+ passing yards, 5 TDs, and 60+ rushing yards.
    According to PFF, he averaged one expected point added per dropback, the most efficient QB performance since PFF started collecting data in 2006.
    Allenís passer rating of 157.6 is the second-best ever in a playoff game behind a perfect 158.3 by Peyton Manning in 2004.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/202...ccomplishments

Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills were absurd against Patriots in Wild Card; list the accomplishments

Last edited by Cntrygal; 01-17-2022 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Stop splitting article & link just to pad your post count

6. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (01-17-2022)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,755 Times in 8,151 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll probably put him at Mahomes level when he has as many SB wins and gets a State Farm commercial with Mahomes and Rodgers.

That said, it's stunning what Allen is capable of when he's in his zone. I think the team itself needs to be more consistent before you'll see Allen remain in his groove. Maybe we're near getting there.

Allen is honestly hard to believe when he's firing on all cylinders. It's like...The Allen Supremacy. I still worry he's gonna get injured running.

I don't want to knock Mahomes though, because he has a game that looks effortless sometimes, like he's just goofing around and everything works, like he's the Globetrotters fooling with the Washington Generals.

I just marvel that we have Allen, and look forward to his continued progress. I mean it's amazing when you consider it sure doesn't even seem like he's peaked yet.

8. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (01-17-2022),Jimkelly12203 (01-17-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022),YardRat (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Allen wins a super bowl he's right there with him and can argue better than him. For now just behind him.

10. Post thanked by:

imbondz (01-17-2022),Mace (01-17-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,980 Times in 3,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Folks, Josh speak on XM radio today basically said everyone else in the AFC east needs to get players twice as good less a QB because no one is close to Josh. We should win 5-6 division games a season, as you see that even in tie-breakers that’s a division wrap for a very-long time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,556 Times in 3,205 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Allen plays a little bipolar, but the dude is absolutely the the right qb for the Bills imo.

13. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (01-17-2022),Mace (01-17-2022),notacon (01-18-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022),YardRat (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 5,588 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who's better? Flip a coin. Mahomes has more accomplishments. Does that make him a better player? Not in my opinion.

15. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is all a matter of opinion. And there is no wrong opinion.

But, in my opinion, Josh Allen is the best football player in the world. If I had the first pick in a draft of every player I would take Allen #1 overall. And i know for certain i'm not alone.

Mahomes is an incredible talent, don't get me wrong. I do think most would take Mahomes if they had that first pick. I just can't think of Mahomes without Andy Reid and that's a thing. He's got all the talent and improv skills you'd ever want. But also one of the best offensive play callers in the business. Maybe THE best since Mike Shanahan.

I think Allen would be dominant in more different places with more different coaches and players around him. Not that Mahomes wouldn't be fine anywhere.

They are both in the perfect situation. I think Allen would still be this good if his situation wasn't as good as it currently is.

I like Joe Burrow a lot. And i like Herbert too. But are there even any other players in this conversation? I mean... It's Allen or Mahomes right?
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Allen is better imo because he's more of a threat to run. He's not at Mahomes level as a passer but he's closer to Mahomes as a passer than Mahomes is to Allen as a rusher
    Troll, Troll, Troll your posts

Angrily down the thread

Cluelessly, cluelessly, cluelessly, cluelessly

Your credibility is but a Dream

-Notabrain

Thanks
    Thanked 7,514 Times in 4,740 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They are close. Really close. Difference is Daboll vs Biennemy. (Spelling)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm with Mace on that goofiness Mahomes seems to present at times. I don't know their working habits, but I just feel like Allen works harder than Mahomes, probably watching more films too. Somehow I relate it to a Russian Olympic figure skating champ who worked with my daughter many years ago. She got frustrated teaching some of the more difficult jumps to my daughter wondering how she could not get it. Later on when we got different coaches, I started to learn that some people, like that Russian Olympic champ, has the natural talent for that sport that things come to them naturally. You work hard with that talent, you can go very far. Others may really need to get the ins and outs of each technique, practice it million times to perfect it. On a side note, I found out those Olympic champs are not good coaches: they know how to do it, but can't explain it in minute details because it comes so easily for them.

I see Mahomes as the one with the natural talent. Watching his games, I don't see him doing so much deliberate QB skills like moving people with his eyes that Allen does. But he just has the instinct where the play is going to be (some calls that the street sense), and has the mobility and throw-on-the-move skills to make it happen. Those unusual underhand throws, lefthanded passes (none in QB skill book) are all born from that. Allen, on the other hand, is supremely gifted physically and mentally sharp/smart, but has to learn all the mechanics, QB metal skills to marry into his physical and mental ability to where he is today. That is the usual path for all the great ones before him - Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc.

20. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I'm with Mace on that goofiness Mahomes seems to present at times. I don't know their working habits, but I just feel like Allen works harder than Mahomes, probably watching more films too. Somehow I relate it to a Russian Olympic figure skating champ who worked with my daughter many years ago. She got frustrated teaching some of the more difficult jumps to my daughter wondering how she could not get it. Later on when we got different coaches, I started to learn that some people, like that Russian Olympic champ, has the natural talent for that sport that things come to them naturally. You work hard with that talent, you can go very far. Others may really need to get the ins and outs of each technique, practice it million times to perfect it. On a side note, I found out those Olympic champs are not good coaches: they know how to do it, but can't explain it in minute details because it comes so easily for them.

I see Mahomes as the one with the natural talent. Watching his games, I don't see him doing so much deliberate QB skills like moving people with his eyes that Allen does. But he just has the instinct where the play is going to be (some calls that the street sense), and has the mobility and throw-on-the-move skills to make it happen. Those unusual underhand throws, lefthanded passes (none in QB skill book) are all born from that. Allen, on the other hand, is supremely gifted physically and mentally sharp/smart, but has to learn all the mechanics, QB metal skills to marry into his physical and mental ability to where he is today. That is the usual path for all the great ones before him - Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc.

Running wise it's the opposite. Allen has the best instincts I've ever seen from a QB running and that's saying something

22. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (01-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,771 Times in 6,121 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Running wise it's the opposite. Allen has the best instincts I've ever seen from a QB running and that's saying something
    Michael Vick.

And it's not even close.

24. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (01-20-2022)

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Gibby 2.0's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 2,484 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Allen is the better qb, Mahomes has the better surrounding talent and coaching. Remember Brady v Manning? We have that now. Enjoy it
    Insert whimsical line here

26. Post thanked by:

cookie G (01-21-2022),Jeff1220 (01-18-2022),notacon (01-18-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022),Zero (01-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,325 Times in 4,227 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll take Josh every day of the week.

He is Buffalo!

28. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (01-18-2022),Novacane (01-19-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,723 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

when josh is ON i see the ghost of john elway at his absolute best... and frankly, josh's best is better then john elways best. and i never thought i'd write those words. i actually thought john elway was josh's career cap. yet he looks a lot better then the best i ever saw out of elway at the peak of his game.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

30. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (01-18-2022),Jimkelly12203 (01-18-2022),Novacane (01-19-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    when josh is ON i see the ghost of john elway at his absolute best... and frankly, josh's best is better then john elways best. and i never thought i'd write those words. i actually thought john elway was josh's career cap. yet he looks a lot better then the best i ever saw out of elway at the peak of his game.
    So many people make the big ben comparison to Josh. I mean, i get it. They're both, well BIG. But it's the wrong comparison. Elway is the proper comparison in every way. Josh is like Elway on steroids physically and in terms of talent. Now lets see if he can match Elway's career (no easy task - one of the greatest QBs ever!). The next 10+ years are going to be fun!

32. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,771 Times in 6,121 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    So many people make the big ben comparison to Josh. I mean, i get it. They're both, well BIG. But it's the wrong comparison. Elway is the proper comparison in every way. Josh is like Elway on steroids physically and in terms of talent. Now lets see if he can match Elway's career (no easy task - one of the greatest QBs ever!). The next 10+ years are going to be fun!
    Ben's not a bad comparison either. At least Ben at the same point in his career. Both are/were almost impossible to take down in the pocket. Allen does have more athleticism than Ben ever had though.

34. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-18-2022),The last buffalo fan (01-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,946 Times in 2,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Allen has to win Sunday and then win a SB to be in the conversation. If comparisons were about stats guys like Dak Prescott would be right with Mahomes. Except he isn't.

Greatness finds a way. If the Bills lose I don't want to hear about the refs or the crowd or the Chiefs pass rush or the play calling. Win the game Josh.

36. Post thanked by: