Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13 seconds, 40 yards. McDermott knows defense right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 13 seconds, 40 yards. McDermott knows defense right?

In the last 3 years our wins have came vs

Fitz, Rosen, Dalton, Hodges, Eli, Heinike, Haskins, Mariota, Mccown, Darnold, Dak, Allen, Rivers, Goff, Tua, Mullens, Lock, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Mills, Ryan, Simian

We did beat Carr, Wilson, Mahomes, Herbert. But we are 1/4 vs Mahomes, Herbert was a rookie, Wilson was horrible vs us (but credit to us) and Carr isn't anything special

So in the past 3 years, we've had 4 wins vs good QBs........aside from that we've played some of the worst QBs the NFL has to offer

This is why I say we are over rated on D and why Allen is the whole team
    Troll, Troll, Troll your posts

Angrily down the thread

Cluelessly, cluelessly, cluelessly, cluelessly

Your credibility is but a Dream

-Notabrain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    McDermott wouldn’t say anything other than execution and “it’s on me” tells me he was frustrated with Frazier and what he communicated to the defense in the last 13 seconds…

There’s going to be changes in some form. Maybe McDermott pays more attention to defensive play calling going forward.
    There are rumors flying around that there are changes coming due to fallout of the last 13 seconds. I'm not sure but I hope it's not a demand from Terry Pegula. Every game the coaches audio is recorded so it's not hard to figure out exactly what happened. Heath Farwell might be under some heat if you evaluate the ST in general. They have to get the players out first, and now into coaches reviews. And with uncertainties on Daboll and Frazier, not sure they will do anything until the dust is settled there.

It looked like from the kick off to the defense they wanted to run in that last 13 seconds, there is quite a few stories. But I still maintain McDermott should take the main blame because he's in charge the whole thing. To me, it starts in the week of preparation, not in the moment of scrambling for a decision. By all accounts, that "trust the process" mantra McDermott has been preaching to the players will take a hit when everyone has more time to reflect on it: are the coaches, including MCDermott, to be trusted to make the right decision at the critical time?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 919 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    There are rumors flying around that there are changes coming due to fallout of the last 13 seconds. I'm not sure but I hope it's not a demand from Terry Pegula. Every game the coaches audio is recorded so it's not hard to figure out exactly what happened. Heath Farwell might be under some heat if you evaluate the ST in general. They have to get the players out first, and now into coaches reviews. And with uncertainties on Daboll and Frazier, not sure they will do anything until the dust is settled there.

It looked like from the kick off to the defense they wanted to run in that last 13 seconds, there is quite a few stories. But I still maintain McDermott should take the main blame because he's in charge the whole thing. To me, it starts in the week of preparation, not in the moment of scrambling for a decision. By all accounts, that "trust the process" mantra McDermott has been preaching to the players will take a hit when everyone has more time to reflect on it: are the coaches, including MCDermott, to be trusted to make the right decision at the critical time?

Why shouldn't Pegula tell McDermott to fix the problem or just plain fire him outright?

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-25-2022)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    Plus, had they even illegally held the top receivers, that's a five-yard penalty and time off the clock.
    You're not allowed to do this anymore. It's now a 10 or 15 yard penalty and time is put back on the clock. They fixed the glitch.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,664 Times in 13,060 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott was a defensive coordinator for 6 years.

Anyone that thinks he wasn't calling the plays in the last q3 seconds and overtime is deluded.

The proof is we chickened out by going with the least critisizable strategy.

And that's McD's MO.
    My tebya razdavim

Thanks
    Thanked 9,797 Times in 6,138 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    McDermott was a defensive coordinator for 6 years.

Anyone that thinks he wasn't calling the plays in the last q3 seconds and overtime is deluded.

The proof is we chickened out by going with the least critisizable strategy.

And that's McD's MO.
    21st century Marty Ball.

The entire last like 3 minutes we played defensively as well as overtime reminded me of the 1986 AFC Championship Game.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    21st century Marty Ball.

The entire last like 3 minutes we played defensively as well as overtime reminded me of the 1986 AFC Championship Game.

McD definitely outsmarted himself. Defending the sideline when they had t.o.s to spare? Wtf!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It can't be said enough: the defensive coaching in the last 13 seconds lost this game. It's as easy as that.

One could point at the lack of defense throughout the game, or the OT rules and losing the coin toss, or the speed disadvantage, or whatever. And yet, all they needed to do was act like the veteran coaches they are and put their players in the best position to win this game. Instead, they blew it. I'm fine with improvements being made across the board, but if the coaches can't get their **** together in critical moments, we are screwed, because the path to a Super Bowl victory is full of them.

10. Post thanked by:

YardRat (01-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Borosai View Post
    It can't be said enough: the defensive coaching in the last 13 seconds lost this game. It's as easy as that.

One could point at the lack of defense throughout the game, or the OT rules and losing the coin toss, or the speed disadvantage, or whatever. And yet, all they needed to do was act like the veteran coaches they are and put their players in the best position to win this game. Instead, they blew it. I'm fine with improvements being made across the board, but if the coaches can't get their **** together in critical moments, we are screwed, because the path to a Super Bowl victory is full of them.

When it mattered most, McD came up short. Not a big surprise, unfortunately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 919 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Borosai View Post

I thought the defense gave us their best game of the season. This doesn't fall on them at all. They were in the wrong defense. The discussion stops right there. We were in the wrong defense when we needed to put the game away. We can count on having to overcome our coaching on a regular basis because that is what happens.

13. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,823 Times in 6,344 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    In the last 3 years our wins have came vs

Fitz, Rosen, Dalton, Hodges, Eli, Heinike, Haskins, Mariota, Mccown, Darnold, Dak, Allen, Rivers, Goff, Tua, Mullens, Lock, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Mills, Ryan, Simian

We did beat Carr, Wilson, Mahomes, Herbert. But we are 1/4 vs Mahomes, Herbert was a rookie, Wilson was horrible vs us (but credit to us) and Carr isn't anything special

So in the past 3 years, we've had 4 wins vs good QBs........aside from that we've played some of the worst QBs the NFL has to offer

This is why I say we are over rated on D and why Allen is the whole team
    As usual, your observations are silly.

There are not that many “good QB’s” (and your definition of such is highly questionable) and teams don’t get the decide who they play against.

For example....the Chiefs this regular season (it’s not worth the effort to go back three years)....

Beat....Baker Mayfield, Hurts, Heinicke, Daniel Jones, Jordon Love, Bridgewater, Roethlisburger, Drew Lock.

And LOST to Lamar Jackson, Herbert, Josh Allen, Tannehill, and Burrow.

They did manage to beat Dak Prescott, Herbert and Carr.

So what???

Let’s do another, shall we???? LA Rams....

Beat Andy Dalton, Wentz (second game when he still really sucked....come to think of it, he sucks most of the time), Wilson (during the worst season of his career), Daniel Jones, Goff, Davis Mills, Tyler Huntley and Lawrence.

They LOST to Kyler Murray, Tannehill, Garoppolo (TWICE) and Rodgers.

They did mange to beat Brady, Murray (split against them) and Cousins.

SO WHAT????

Thanks
    Thanked 9,823 Times in 6,344 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Problem with that is, the Chiefs guy could just let it go and it could go out of bounds or into the endzone anyway.

You'd have to aim the high kick for around the 20 in hopes of just making them have to go 5 more yards.

And to be honest, with what they did, 5 yards wouldn't have made a difference...with that kick on the field goal even 10 wouldn't have.
    No doubt that a short kickoff has many different outcomes.

But....I have been paying attention all year to how the ball for a kickoff hits the ground in the end zone. It’s extremely interesting that the overwhelming majority bounce straight up a little bit, and just stay there....die after a couple of small bounces.

Kickers today have amazing control on exactly how the ball hits the ground.

The point is that if you kick it high and short (between the 10 and 5 yard line....and kickers CAN and DO have that kind of control) you FORCE he receiving team to make a decision.

If they let the ball go and HOPE it goes into the end zone....and it doesn’t.....it's a free ball. The Bills recover...game over.

The Chiefs could do a fair catch (in the field of play) and no time runs off the clock, but the point is that the fair catch has them deep in their own territory....at the 10 and NOT the 25. Big difference.

If they field the kick....as soon as he touches it, the clock starts. And the clock runs until the play ends. It could easily take 3 or 4 seconds, or more off the clock.

Then, the Chiefs are probably left with time for ONE play. THAT is the strategy for the Bills....the Chiefs field a short kick.....get tackled around the 25 yard line (we have seen this happen countless times in almost all NFL games) and they are left with 8 seconds or less.

Again, no one knows what could have happened with a skillful short kick. What we DO KNOW is that kicking deep into the end zone, taking NO TIME off the clock and handing the ball to the Chiefs at the 25 with 13 seconds, is EXACTLY WHAT THEY HOPED FOR!!!!

The Bills handed the Chiefs, and especially Mahomes, a golden opportunity.

And then the boneheaded prevent defense, protecting the sidelines with the Chiefs having all their time outs we literally handing them the win!

Face it...the Bills strategy ****ed up. BIG TIME **** UP!!!!