Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McDermott: Need to Improve Team Speed

Thanks
    Thanked 27,582 Times in 15,574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: McDermott: Need to Improve Team Speed

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Who? None of the LB’s are strong enough to redirect Kelce and Hill is usually off the line and is so quick you’re asking for a DB to lunge and miss him entirely.
    Anybody. Even if they don't hit them right at the line they've got five yards to impede their release. With 13 seconds left, even fractions of a delay is better than nothing.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 22,435 Times in 12,845 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Anybody. Even if they don't hit them right at the line they've got five yards to impede their release. With 13 seconds left, even fractions of a delay is better than nothing.
    Unless they miss or just get beat off the line. To play press coverage you need to have the actual skill set to do it which we don’t. The coverage comes with an increased risk if it’s done incorrectly. Trying to press Hill with these DB’s would have been inviting a loss in regulation over OT. The zone call is correct it just shouldn’t have been a Cover 3 zone. They call played to KC’s strength and our weakness.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

4. Post thanked by:

imbondz (01-27-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Unless they miss or just get beat off the line. To play press coverage you need to have the actual skill set to do it which we don’t. The coverage comes with an increased risk if it’s done incorrectly. Trying to press Hill with these DB’s would have been inviting a loss in regulation over OT. The zone call is correct it just shouldn’t have been a Cover 3 zone. They call played to KC’s strength and our weakness.
    You insist on incorrectly talking about press man coverage, and that's not what I am suggesting.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,313 Times in 4,215 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sean McDermott: We Need to Improve Team Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    It's like he saw my posts about the need of getting a player on offense like Tyreek Hill.
    Do we need an Olympic sprinter?

I'll guarantee there are faster folks than Hill in that area.

He failed to qualify.

Leave no stone unturned?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,746 Times in 8,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They frankly could have held them and run time off the clock for 5 yards and an irrelevant 1st down. If we don't have guys that can grab a jersey I've been watching a different team. Jam them or grab them at the line and clog the zones. There was no point to a 4 man pass rush. And why were the safeties so far back ?

I mean seriously, it's not like it could have ended worse.

9. Post thanked by:

k-oneputt (01-27-2022),YardRat (01-28-2022)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,746 Times in 8,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Billseye View Post
    I sprinted and coached NCAA sprinters for 6 years.

McKenzie is a 10.5 100 and a 4.4 40. Heís about as fast as an elite DIII sprinter. He plays fast though, very twitchy.

Tyreek Hill runs a 4.2 and a 10.12 100.

To say these men are comparable really isnít fair to Hill, who has borderline world class speed.
    To me, the difference is that KC schemes to get Hill in space and knows when to take advantage of him. It really doesn't look like we scheme to get any even vague mismatches for a McKenzie.

I'm not saying McKenzie is Hill, but we don't even try to use him even similar.

We did indeed talk about getting more speed last season. We didn't. We didn't even add physical. I mean other teams do this in drafts. We have to beat teams like Tennessee too. Some teams even have a good qb, wr's AND a running back to hurt you. Chiefs are not our only hurdle.

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,399 Times in 3,901 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    McKenzie plays defense too. The guy is a huge asset ... yet we put him on the bench for two weeks because he fumbled once.
    Yes it's ridiculous how they punished him for a fumble.

How many times does McDermott MISMANAGE THE CLOCK during a season?

Plenty. I lost count.
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

CJ Spiller would be amazing on this offense. Home run threat in the receiving game out of the backfield.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 916 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    Yes it's ridiculous how they punished him for a fumble.

How many times does McDermott MISMANAGE THE CLOCK during a season?

Plenty. I lost count.
    McDermott is the one who needs to be sat down.

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,627 Times in 12,121 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

To me, coaching is a bigger issue than speed.

Our D was ranked #1 in multiple categories. Yet, the Chiefs did whatever they wanted against us. The score was close because our O is good enough to keep up, but when our D was on the field, they were leagues ahead of us. A D that had been largely successful throughout the season got abused. IMO Andy Reid saw some flaws in our D that other coaches didn't. He was able to exploit them and our coaches weren't able to adjust.

McD is a good coach in a lot of ways- far better than anyone we've had since Levy- but he gets outcoached on gameday far too often.

15. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (01-28-2022),Mace (01-28-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

Our D was ranked #1 in multiple categories. Yet, the Chiefs did whatever they wanted against us. The score was close because our O is good enough to keep up, but when our D was on the field, they were leagues ahead of us. A D that had been largely successful throughout the season got abused. IMO Andy Reid saw some flaws in our D that other coaches didn't. He was able to exploit them and our coaches weren't able to adjust.

McD is a good coach in a lot of ways- far better than anyone we've had since Levy- but he gets outcoached on gameday far too often.
    It's McDermott too. People are mad at Frazier. Heck, I was mad at Frazier. But it is McDermott's D and he is making the calls -- or at least his responsibility to override bad calls.

The D is what McDermott wants it to be and it gets torched way too much. I don't care what their stats are. The coaching on this team leaves much to be desired no matter how well he has built the culture.

17. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-28-2022),OpIv37 (01-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's a difficult playing D against the Chiefs when Mahomes is on 100% like he was last Sunday. I'd say for the most part of first 3 quarters, our D line put pressure on Mahomes. But they were unable to bring him down. So many times he's just out of reach of one of linemen's grasp. Either we need to get more athletic lineman who can keep up with Mahomes (very, very hard to find, maybe Dustin Ziegler would help), or the Tampa bay path where Vita Vea and Suh can push directly into Mahomes from the middle, the Bills have none of those type of DTs.

That entire game Mahomes didn't try a 20+ yard pass. More of RAC type of stuff. That's where I think the the speed argument comes into play from McDermott and Beane. I think they believed they eliminated big plays from Mchomes, forcing him to check downs; BUT some of the check downs turned into big plays because of our lack of speed in the back 7.

Truthfully, I think the Bills may like to play a little more man-to-man (doubling obvious target like Hill) so that they can free up someone to deal with Mahomes scrambling, like NE played Allen. Without White, this is impossible. This is why I'm starting to lean to they may indeed spend a 1st pick on a CB. Those guys are hard to get any other ways.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    It's a difficult playing D against the Chiefs when Mahomes is on 100% like he was last Sunday. I'd say for the most part of first 3 quarters, our D line put pressure on Mahomes. But they were unable to bring him down. So many times he's just out of reach of one of linemen's grasp. Either we need to get more athletic lineman who can keep up with Mahomes (very, very hard to find, maybe Dustin Ziegler would help), or the Tampa bay path where Vita Vea and Suh can push directly into Mahomes from the middle, the Bills have none of those type of DTs.

That entire game Mahomes didn't try a 20+ yard pass. More of RAC type of stuff. That's where I think the the speed argument comes into play from McDermott and Beane. I think they believed they eliminated big plays from Mchomes, forcing him to check downs; BUT some of the check downs turned into big plays because of our lack of speed in the back 7.

Truthfully, I think the Bills may like to play a little more man-to-man (doubling obvious target like Hill) so that they can free up someone to deal with Mahomes scrambling, like NE played Allen. Without White, this is impossible. This is why I'm starting to lean to they may indeed spend a 1st pick on a CB. Those guys are hard to get any other ways.
    The D played well against mahommes. He doesn't get sacked. They had pressure on him all day and kept it coming. The coverage was there and they got some stops.

Apparently they need some speed to run from the sidelines and cover the middle of the field when they are letting someone run free ....

Thanks
    Thanked 22,435 Times in 12,845 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You insist on incorrectly talking about press man coverage, and that's not what I am suggesting.
    You want to jam and then fall into a zone? That sounds like an even worse idea.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not when there is only 13 seconds left, you're up by three and the opponent has the ball on their own 25 yard line.

22. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-28-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sounds like something that wouldn't have just left the entire middle of the field open like it wasn't an option for the opponent.

24. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-28-2022)

Proudly victimizing the victimizer's victimizer and cracking soreheads Gibby 2.0's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 2,484 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

That number one ranked defense was a lie. I mean look who they played to get that ranking: Jets, Fish, and Pats ( sorry Mac Jones doesn't give me the fear of Brady) twice, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh led by a guy who should have retired 2-3 years ago, New Orleans, Washington, and New Orleans backups, Atlanta, Carolina, and the Chiefs in a crazy weather and refball decided affair. On paper it was a number one defense, in reality it played nobody and much like 2019 it got exposed in the playoffs.

Josh Allen and the pass offense is legit, but much like Indy during much of Manning's stint there we have not given Allen the complimentary defense this offense needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    The D played well against mahommes. He doesn't get sacked. They had pressure on him all day and kept it coming. The coverage was there and they got some stops.

Apparently they need some speed to run from the sidelines and cover the middle of the field when they are letting someone run free ....
    Allowing 42 points is not playing good defense against anyone.
    Insert whimsical line here

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-28-2022),OpIv37 (01-28-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby 2.0 View Post
    That number one ranked defense was a lie. I mean look who they played to get that ranking: Jets, Fish, and Pats ( sorry Mac Jones doesn't give me the fear of Brady) twice, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh led by a guy who should have retired 2-3 years ago, New Orleans, Washington, and New Orleans backups, Atlanta, Carolina, and the Chiefs in a crazy weather and refball decided affair. On paper it was a number one defense, in reality it played nobody and much like 2019 it got exposed in the playoffs.

Josh Allen and the pass offense is legit, but much like Indy during much of Manning's stint there we have not given Allen the complimentary defense this offense needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Allowing 42 points is not playing good defense against anyone.
    They held the Chiefs to 26 points through 59 minutes of play. I watched the game the defense played well situationally all day. If they weren't put on the field in the wrong positions at the end of regulation we would be talking about how great of a game they had.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Call me crazy but I think he referring to Corner, not WR.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Thanked 5,313 Times in 4,215 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    Call me crazy but I think he referring to Corner, not WR.
    Yes he is IMO.