Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2022 Roster Analysis

Thanks
    Thanked 9,907 Times in 6,414 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2022 Roster Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Something to note...now through the draft, zero additions to center, safety, and other than Bobby Hart and the sixth rounder listed as oline generically, offensive tackle.
    From what I have read, Christian Benford is being projected as possibly more suitable as safety in the NFL than corner. Time will tell if he even makes the team.

What was also very revealing to note, is how the Bills passed on ALL the LB prospects that the Edmunds haters were fantasizing about.

Devin Loyd, Nakobe Dean, Chad Muma.....the Bills could have had ANY of them if they wanted. Jesus. They could have had Dean in the THIRD ROUND (he was predicted to be a 1st round LB (his dropping to round three is being opined as one of the biggest “steals” in they draft) and many had him as the #1 LB prospect in the draft) by moving up just a few spots which they could have done easily with the two sixth round picks they added in the Cook move backward in round two.

If they were questioning their commitment and confidence in Edmunds in the LEAST, Dean could have worked since the reason he fell was a health issue that might have him missing considerable time in 2022....prefect to replace him in 2023.

They eventually pulled the trigger (a little early) on Terrel Bernard in round three (who was more suited as a 4th round pick but the Bills traded that away to get Elam) and instead of his being suitable to replace Edmunds, it apparently looks like he is perfect to replace MILANO (if and when that time comes).

Beane has been telling us for quite some time how much the Bills love Edmunds and thinks he is a "core building block going forward”......none of the Edmunds haters believed what was right in front of their faces. And now, with his actions, Beane has proved what he has been saying is 100% true.

They LOVE Edmunds.

The Edmunds haters were 100% WRONG on their dreams of the Bills targeting an Edmunds replacement.

If anything, the Bernard pick solidified his standing with the team.

I am reveling in this reality!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 27,768 Times in 15,694 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Benford to safety is certainly a possibility, I could see that happening.

It is disappointing to me that they completely ignored the MLB spot and chose to spend more capital on olb/safety tweeners. I am still hoping that isn't an indication that they are going to double-down on a mistake and extend Edmunds but they certainly don't have anybody in the pipeline to groom to replace him. Even if they do throw the big bucks at him I'll contend it's a bad move and he is a weakness on the defense, not a strength. He's going to have to do a complete 180 with his play to get me to reverse my stance and I don't see that happening.

Having said that I'm not going to allow this thread to be turned into another Edmunds pissing match so don't try, but I did want to address a couple of points you made because they are valid relative to the roster.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,261 Times in 7,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've posted this thought many times. LB is going the way of the Dodo unless the running game suddenly returns .

Most teams are now pass happy and with the obvious love for WR's in Vet FA and the Draft, it's not coming back.

Teams will run more 4-2-5 looks and even 4-1-6, with the spread being so popular.
    We don't even have pictures
    Just memories to hold
    That grow sweeter each season
    As we slowly grow old...

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,904 Times in 8,247 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I've posted this thought many times. LB is going the way of the Dodo unless the running game suddenly returns .

Most teams are now pass happy and with the obvious love for WR's in Vet FA and the Draft, it's not coming back.

Teams will run more 4-2-5 looks and even 4-1-6, with the spread being so popular.

To some extent. But defenses still need to be flexible and compensate if the traditional tank MLB isn't there. Look what Indy, Tennessee and the Pats did to us with running backs. You'd have to think to need to be able to both run heavy and defend run heavy (with appropriate personnel) to deal with what you have to if you want sustained success.

Modern athletes are getting bigger and stronger at every position, wee guys are subject to less durability. Good scouting gives you the best of both worlds, imho.
    Last edited by Mace; 05-09-2022 at 06:32 PM.