Thread: Jordan Poyer looking for a contract extension in Buffalo

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,984 Times in 12,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jordan Poyer looking for a contract extension in Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    So they told him hold on & get paid.
    He's gonna be 31 next week. He'll be 32 when the 2023 season starts. How big of a contract should we be giving him at that point?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    So they told him hold on & get paid.
    I got somewhat a different vibe from Beane. Not sure it is a guarantee he'll get paid (again) by the Bills. About 15 minutes into his presser when specifically asked by Joe on Poyer. "I want Jordan to be here, It's just business gets in the way some times.... there are other guys who wants to be paid .... there are other guys I feel have earned extension as well .... there will be more guys other than Jordan who are looking for extension ... right now I'm just focused on Draft..." I omitted tons of praise of Jordan Poyer in between, but you know ...

Who are the "other guys" that Beane mentioned that reached out to him for extension? I can think of at least 3 names on the team. And in my mind, considering the age, how they were brought into the team (hint: draft), they might be more important than Poyer from the big picture.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,397 Times in 4,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

After the draft is what I get.
    Click This!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/IQy08hbocbc?feature=share

BUFFALO BILLS SCHEDULE

09/08 @ Rams 8:20 pm
    09/19 TITANS 7:15 pm
    09/25 @ Dolphins 1:00 pm
    10/02 @ Ravens 1:00 pm
    10/09 STEELERS 8:20 pm
    10/16 @ Chiefs 4:25 pm
    10/30 PACKERS 8:20 pm
    11/06 @ Jets 1:00 pm
    11/13 VIKINGS 1:00 pm
    11/20 BROWNS 1:00 pm
    11/24 @ Lions 12:30 pm
    12/01 @ Patriots 8:15 pm
    12/11 JETS 1:00 pm
    12/18 DOLPHINS TBD
    12/24 @ Bears 1:00 pm
    01/02 @ Bengals 8:30 pm
    01/08 PATRIOTS TBD

Thanks
    Thanked 9,908 Times in 6,415 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    It's actually really simple. Do you want Jordan Poyer on your defense for the next 3-4 years while we hit out peak superbowl window?

The answer is a very obvious yes.

So make it happen. Simple.

You need leaders like this on your team. Make it happen.

I missed this post earlier.

No, it’s not that simple.

The BIG question is can Jordan Poyer play up to the capability he has shown the past few years for the next 3-4 years? And especially if it’s worth paying him gobs of money.

Pass rushers, like Von Miller, have a history of being relatively effective and an impact payer well into their 30’s. Safeties?....not so much.

That does not mean that Poyer can't still be an impact player for 3-4 years. He certainly can. But, will he??? No one knows.

GM’s have to make very tough decisions. This is one of them.

5. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-26-2022),OpIv37 (04-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 22,695 Times in 13,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not looking good for him right now. Beane’s comments said a lot without actually saying much of anything.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    If drinking was an Olympic event I was a multi gold medal winner.

Alcohol was crushing my life and my liver. At 47 I went to AA and haven’t had a drink in 11 years. I love Poyer’s open position on this so more people may take a look at themselves because of him.

My life. Every aspect, is better now.

I am here for anyone waving the white flag but you have to be absolutely done. White flagging it. AA works and it’s actually quite awesome.

11 sober Superbowls… well 10, the first one was just a white knuckle dry game… only 2 weeks in.
    Congrats brother! I’ll be sober 11 years this November. Best thing I ever did. I was a complete mess. Every aspect of my life improved. I’m literally a different person.

Regarding Poyer. It’s worth noting, and shouldn’t be understated, that he should age well physically. I am a firefighter and personal trainer. I abuse my body at work and in the gym, yet I honestly feel better at 39 than I did at 25 while drinking.

8. Post thanked by:

Night Train (04-22-2022),sukie (04-22-2022),YardRat (04-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,852 Times in 5,627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    These are the very tough decisions that a GM, with input form the team’s personal group and the coaches, have to make every single year.

We already know that evaluation and value of many of the Bills players inside the organization are much different than some of the glop we see here by the armchair GM’s.

Poyer is a very important player that is performing at a very high level.

But, younger players are also due for extensions, and despite the hatred here, Edmunds is considers a “core building block moving forward” for the Bills and will almost assuredly be extended and kept on the bills for years to come because, to the people that matter in the Bills organization, they “LOVE” him.

How long do you extend a 31 year old safety??? He’ll be 32 years old before the 2023 season. Is it smart to extend him four years until he’s 36??? I doubt it.

Knox (UFA 2023), Edmunds (UFA 2023), Oliver (UFA in 2024) Davis (UFA 2024) are more critical to the longer term success of the Bills than Jordan Poyer.

Talk is cheap. Get back to me when they actually extend him.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,618 Times in 4,813 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Billseye View Post
    Congrats brother! I’ll be sober 11 years this November. Best thing I ever did. I was a complete mess. Every aspect of my life improved. I’m literally a different person.
    This is awesome.

11. Post thanked by:

Night Train (04-22-2022),YardRat (04-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,618 Times in 4,813 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I missed this post earlier.

No, it’s not that simple.

The BIG question is can Jordan Poyer play up to the capability he has shown the past few years for the next 3-4 years? And especially if it’s worth paying him gobs of money.

Pass rushers, like Von Miller, have a history of being relatively effective and an impact payer well into their 30’s. Safeties?....not so much.

That does not mean that Poyer can't still be an impact player for 3-4 years. He certainly can. But, will he??? No one knows.

GM’s have to make very tough decisions. This is one of them.
    With a generational QB associated key weapons, a beast of a LB QB killer, a CB that’s top 10, someone isn’t going to be affordable… there is bound to be odd men out with cheaper replacements. This isn’t the Yankees and a luxury tax.

13. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (04-22-2022),OpIv37 (04-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I 100% agree to what sukie said. Sooner or later, someone has to be left out; someone good.

You pay your absolute stars. Josh, and they obviously had Diggs on that list. White is probably on the list as well. Not sure anyone else right now, but by the end of the season, the list might change. Will one of the Knox, Oliver, Edmunds, even Davis forces the Bills say we must have him?

People point to the salary cap jump after the new TV deal money coming in 2023. Guess what? That inflates all contracts just like inflation. You are pretty much end of with the same situation.

Seeing how Hill got traded from KC, I'm a bit surprised to see the Bills lock in Diggs to when he's 34. More surprised hearing Beane talking about that he believes the WR draft pool will continue to expand because the high school and college level football teams throw more and more athletes to play the position because of the inflated money they get.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,072 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

These are the very tough decisions that a GM, with input form the team’s personal group and the coaches, have to make every single year.

We already know that evaluation and value of many of the Bills players inside the organization are much different than some of the glop we see here by the armchair GM’s.

Poyer is a very important player that is performing at a very high level.

But, younger players are also due for extensions, and despite the hatred here, Edmunds is considers a “core building block moving forward” for the Bills and will almost assuredly be extended and kept on the bills for years to come because, to the people that matter in the Bills organization, they “LOVE” him.

How long do you extend a 31 year old safety??? He’ll be 32 years old before the 2023 season. Is it smart to extend him four years until he’s 36??? I doubt it.

Knox (UFA 2023), Edmunds (UFA 2023), Oliver (UFA in 2024) Davis (UFA 2024) are more critical to the longer term success of the Bills than Jordan Poyer.

If we draft a safety or a MLB, that'll show us who's in or out
    Troll, Troll, Troll your posts

Angrily down the thread

Cluelessly, cluelessly, cluelessly, cluelessly

Your credibility is but a Dream

-Notabrain

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,371 Times in 3,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    7 picks will be defense im predicting. 2 CB, 2 S, 2 LB, DL, and either a RB, WR, or TE.

Hard choices are going to be made the next couple of years that many effect Hyde, Poyer, White, Edmunds, Oliver, Knox, Davis, Singletary.

There is only so much money to go around.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

In the final 6 games of the year we gave up 800 rushing yards and 8 rushing tds (Singletarys full season stats)

Yes we are amazing vs the pass, but to give our MLB the credit for that and none of the blame for the run game is absurd. Especially when Edmunds stats don't look that impressive vs either. 108 tackles, 70 solo tackles, 1 QB hit,

His passing stats were horrible this past year. What it looks to me like is teams started game planning against Edmunds last year. They knew he was a liability vs the run and pass so they would get him singled up vs whatever matchup they wanted.

I think Beane is hoping he gets back to year 2 form vs the pass but he's regressing vs the pass and run

Thanks
    Thanked 5,010 Times in 2,899 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is why you have to draft well even when you see few major holes. The roster turns over for lots of reasons and you're drafting to get out ahead of it

19. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-26-2022),TacklingDummy (04-22-2022)

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,984 Times in 12,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    With a generational QB associated key weapons, a beast of a LB QB killer, a CB that’s top 10, someone isn’t going to be affordable… there is bound to be odd men out with cheaper replacements. This isn’t the Yankees and a luxury tax.
    This. I like Poyer. I really do. There's no doubt he's been a big part of this team's success over the last few years. But I just don't know how much salary cap/business sense it makes to give a big contract to a 31 y/o safety.

I'd like to keep him on the team, but if he becomes a cap casualty, so be it.

21. Post thanked by:

sukie (04-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,908 Times in 6,415 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not necessarily. The Bills are thin at depth at LB (there really is no “MLB” in their scheme). Same with Safety.

The Bills REALLY “show us who’s in or out” is the contracts they sign them for.

Money talks, bullcrap walks.

That’s why letting Levi Wallace walk for the relatively paltry $4M a year spoke volumes. Same with them cutting AJ Klein, Beasley, Williams, Star and Feliciano....and not re-signing (as of yet) Jerry Hughes, Emanuel Sanders and Addison.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    He's gonna be 31 next week. He'll be 32 when the 2023 season starts. How big of a contract should we be giving him at that point?
    Just enough to make him happy and also to the benefit of our cap.

Crystal Ball says: Gotta be a win win or you don't do it.
    Last edited by Woodman; 04-22-2022 at 05:50 PM.

24. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-26-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    This is why you have to draft well even when you see few major holes. The roster turns over for lots of reasons and you're drafting to get out ahead of it
    Drafting extremely well is the only way to maintain a team.

Gotta be ready "NEXT MAN UP" isn't just a saying.

One year contracts are also critical in their own way.

You gotta be willing to part company occasionally as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not necessarily. The Bills are thin at depth at LB (there really is no “MLB” in their scheme). Same with Safety.

The Bills REALLY “show us who’s in or out” is the contracts they sign them for.

Money talks, bullcrap walks.

That’s why letting Levi Wallace walk for the relatively paltry $4M a year spoke volumes. Same with them cutting AJ Klein, Beasley, Williams, Star and Feliciano....and not re-signing (as of yet) Jerry Hughes, Emanuel Sanders and Addison.

Thank you for finally saying this. Yes, we have no MLB in this scheme, that's why we gave up nearly 1200 yards and 14 TDs vs the run the last half of the season. WE NEED A MLB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,323 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Honestly I would trade Edmunds now and use that money to extend Poyer for 1 extra year with more money. They're trying to use this year to "show me" for Edmunds before committing and it's a waste of time. He's not getting 20 mil next year. With the extra money draft choices or assets from Edmunds I could find a real MLB, even bring Klein back.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

28. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-23-2022)