Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Poyer looking for a contract extension in Buffalo

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,929 Times in 8,262 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jordan Poyer looking for a contract extension in Buffalo

Just imho, this needs to be "The Year". Get the pressure off and let Beane work on what comes next. Until I see a different defense take the field and do a job without him, I consider Poyer mandatory for their style of play. I might not like it, but it still looks like a truth to me. The dude is everywhere, for better or worse, and if anything only screws up being over aggressive, with aggressive not being a real hallmark of this defense to date. They can plump him up until his decline then move on, but it isn't there yet and we want a title.

See what happens. Go for the title.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 4,325 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hopefully!!!
    Click This!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/IQy08hbocbc?feature=share

BUFFALO BILLS SCHEDULE

09/08 @ Rams 8:20 pm
    09/19 TITANS 7:15 pm
    09/25 @ Dolphins 1:00 pm
    10/02 @ Ravens 1:00 pm
    10/09 STEELERS 8:20 pm
    10/16 @ Chiefs 4:25 pm
    10/30 PACKERS 8:20 pm
    11/06 @ Jets 1:00 pm
    11/13 VIKINGS 1:00 pm
    11/20 BROWNS 1:00 pm
    11/24 @ Lions 12:30 pm
    12/01 @ Patriots 8:15 pm
    12/11 JETS 1:00 pm
    12/18 DOLPHINS TBD
    12/24 @ Bears 1:00 pm
    01/02 @ Bengals 8:30 pm
    01/08 PATRIOTS TBD

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,025 Times in 12,361 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Just imho, this needs to be "The Year". Get the pressure off and let Beane work on what comes next. Until I see a different defense take the field and do a job without him, I consider Poyer mandatory for their style of play. I might not like it, but it still looks like a truth to me. The dude is everywhere, for better or worse, and if anything only screws up being over aggressive, with aggressive not being a real hallmark of this defense to date. They can plump him up until his decline then move on, but it isn't there yet and we want a title.

I hate to say it but they really loaded up for this year. If it's not this year, it may not happen.

Knox, Edmunds, Poyer

We are losing 2 of the 3 next season. Knox is going to be hard to replace. Poyer, despite his age, is still playing at a high level and also will be hard to replace. I realize Edmunds is the most controversial and possibly the most overrated player on this team, but as it stands, we don't have anyone equal or better. With Allen's contract kicking in and the cap being tight, it's hard to see how we find someone equal or better to replace him.

It's just hard to see how we end up with a 2023 roster that's equal or better than the current roster.

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I hate to say it but they really loaded up for this year. If it's not this year, it may not happen.

Knox, Edmunds, Poyer

We are losing 2 of the 3 next season. Knox is going to be hard to replace. Poyer, despite his age, is still playing at a high level and also will be hard to replace. I realize Edmunds is the most controversial and possibly the most overrated player on this team, but as it stands, we don't have anyone equal or better. With Allen's contract kicking in and the cap being tight, it's hard to see how we find someone equal or better to replace him.

It's just hard to see how we end up with a 2023 roster that's equal or better than the current roster.
    There could be a fall off. But rosters do turn over by 20-40% across the league every year. We're now in that position NE was- we can make utterly clinical, ruthless business decisions that are in the best long term interests of the team because....we now have a superior talent at QB. Guys will come and go but Josh is going to be here and that means we will be a force.

Last year Josh did what he could do. He couldn't scream at Mac with 13 seconds left "don't kick the flippin ball in the end zone" or "for God's sake press Kelce and Hill at the line". That wasn't about players it was about the coach not ****ting his pants.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-01-2022),notacon (07-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Poyer is here for this year anyway. But I would have no problem extending the guy a couple years. The cap can be manipulated. Everyone knows this.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jordan Poyer can’t think of a better place for him to be than Buffalo

Bills safety Jordan Poyer‘s desire for a new contract led him to skip the voluntary portion of the team’s offseason work, but he returned for the mandatory minicamp and it doesn’t sound like he’s planning to skip out of any part of training camp.

Poyer was a guest on the Inside the Garage podcast and discussed how comfortable he feels heading into his sixth season with the AFC East club. Poyer said his close friendship with fellow safety Micah Hyde is part of why he’s so comfortable and shared his belief that they have the best quarterback in the league in Josh Allen.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,927 Times in 6,430 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Knox, Edmunds, Poyer

Your pessimism knows no bounds.

Not only is the idea that the Bills are "losing 2 of the 3 next season” (Knox, Poyer and Edmunds) rather silly, it belies the realities of today’s NFL cap manipulation.

If Beane and the coaches want all three players, they will find a way to keep them. I believe it is more likely than not that all three, Knox, Poyer and Edmunds, will be on the roster for 2023, if that’s what the organization deems best for the TEAM.

It was "
    just hard to see how we end up with a 2022 roster that's equal or better than the” 2021 roster, and it seemed literally impossible that the Bills would be able to not only go after, but sign a high priced superstar like Von Miller....YET, they did it.

And, as Mace accurately points out "
    rosters do turn over by 20-40% across the league every year.”. That’s why the NFL stands for Not For Long.

The Bills literally turned over the
    O-line starters by 60%. The D-Line has been completely reworked. TWO starting WR’s from 2021 are gone....and the WR room looks as strong as ever. What Beane has shown to be stellar at is keeping the players that he (and the coaches) want, and drafting players to replace aging vets....and working the FA system to find players to fill voids.

What TODAY’S Bills have, which they have NOT had in their history (before 2017) is a professional and high skilled ORGANIZATION that rivals what New England was able to do for the better part of two decades.

And everyone knows that NE WILL be back as contenders....like Pittsburgh, Seattle, Green Bay and San Francisco (to name the most obvious) have been doing for years and years.

And I dispute your idea that “{fill-in the blank} will be hard to replace”. The ONLY player on the team that “will be hard to
    replace” is QB.

As long as Josh Allen is on the team, and plays at an extremely high level (and is not ruined by injury) the Bills not only will have a chance to win a Super Bowl THIS year, but for many years to come.

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,025 Times in 12,361 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Your pessimism knows no bounds.

Not only is the idea that the Bills are "losing 2 of the 3 next season” (Knox, Poyer and Edmunds) rather silly, it belies the realities of today’s NFL cap manipulation.

If Beane and the coaches want all three players, they will find a way to keep them. I believe it is more likely than not that all three, Knox, Poyer and Edmunds, will be on the roster for 2023, if that’s what the organization deems best for the TEAM.

It was "
    just hard to see how we end up with a 2022 roster that's equal or better than the” 2021 roster, and it seemed literally impossible that the Bills would be able to not only go after, but sign a high priced superstar like Von Miller....YET, they did it.

And, as Mace accurately points out "
    rosters do turn over by 20-40% across the league every year.”. That’s why the NFL stands for Not For Long.

The Bills literally turned over the
    O-line starters by 60%. The D-Line has been completely reworked. TWO starting WR’s from 2021 are gone....and the WR room looks as strong as ever. What Beane has shown to be stellar at is keeping the players that he (and the coaches) want, and drafting players to replace aging vets....and working the FA system to find players to fill voids.

What TODAY’S Bills have, which they have NOT had in their history (before 2017) is a professional and high skilled ORGANIZATION that rivals what New England was able to do for the better part of two decades.

And everyone knows that NE WILL be back as contenders....like Pittsburgh, Seattle, Green Bay and San Francisco (to name the most obvious) have been doing for years and years.

And I dispute your idea that “{fill-in the blank} will be hard to replace”. The ONLY player on the team that “will be hard to
    replace” is QB.

As long as Josh Allen is on the team, and plays at an extremely high level (and is not ruined by injury) the Bills not only will have a chance to win a Super Bowl THIS year, but for many years to come.
    I think you underestimate the cap. Yes, there are a lot of ways to manipulate it. But there is a limit. That's why the cap exists. Next year, Allen's big cap hit comes in. It's not pessimistic at all to think that it's not possible to absorb that AND re-sign THREE free agents who will get big deals.

Also, all that cap manipulation usually has a price down the road. At some point, we will be in cap jail. Now, if we win a title, no one will give a flying **** if we suck for a couple of years because we're in cap jail. But there will be consequences for all the cap stuff.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,929 Times in 8,262 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Knox, Edmunds, Poyer

It's fair to say, because they really are loaded up. But there are too many variables ahead yet to get a clear picture.

Just imho, Poyer looks to me like a critical piece because of the defense they play, and perfect fit in it. But I don't know how Von Miller changes the way they play defense yet. I don't really consider Edmunds and Knox critical pieces at this point. It's a truth as Mr. Cody says, their personnel were fine, but the coaching choked. Defensive coaching. You can argue this is a pattern. They clenched the year previous. And the year previous. McDermott needs to take a step. If I see Von Miller falling back in a prevent in a playoff game, I'll combust.

Poyer could hit a wall. In general safeties last a bit, but could happen.

Beane is probably the piece of the organization I have the most confidence in. He really knows what he's doing in terms of cap, contracts, player career timelines, etc. Might aggravate me sometimes but can't argue the results atm. He could have hung on to some players he let walk. He let them walk. I'd bet my life he has the next 2 season charted out with a plan, including cap projections and performance possibilities. I'm not worried about that.

I AM worried because of McDermott. Look, I love the guy, his enthusiasm and culture, his rock solid baseline. He's gotta tighten it up and step on the gas now. Beane keeps giving him more pieces and stacking the roster, but McDermott has to fundamentally evolve into the next phase of great coaches, which is doing more with less, because injuries are going to happen regardless. The personnel are plenty good enough for multiple years of window, and additional replenishment as needed yearly, but the staff has to maximize the yearly roster, like they should have done last year.

McDermott needs to step up. Imho.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott needs to step up. Imho.
    My main concern as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think you underestimate the cap. Yes, there are a lot of ways to manipulate it. But there is a limit. That's why the cap exists. Next year, Allen's big cap hit comes in. It's not pessimistic at all to think that it's not possible to absorb that AND re-sign THREE free agents who will get big deals.

Also, all that cap manipulation usually has a price down the road. At some point, we will be in cap jail. Now, if we win a title, no one will give a flying **** if we suck for a couple of years because we're in cap jail. But there will be consequences for all the cap stuff.
    I think you underestimate both how the cap can be easily manipulated, and especially how it is set to EXPLODE as the new TV contracts take effect.

You’ll see.....like most of your pessimism it will be shown to be way off base.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I think you underestimate both how the cap can be easily manipulated, and especially how it is set to EXPLODE as the new TV contracts take effect.

You’ll see.....like most of your pessimism it will be shown to be way off base.
    Agree it's important to not over think it.

We have people for that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-safet...-want-to-be-he

Jordan Poyer expressed his desire for a new contract over the offseason, but the thought of holding out of training camp was never in play for the Bills safety.

"Not in my mind, no. I want to be here," Poyer told reporters after practice on Sunday. "That's how I feel -- I want to be here."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Poyer wouldn't speak in detail about the situation on Sunday, but made it a point to say his agent Drew Rosenhaus also showed up with him to camp.

"I'm letting them handle that side of it," said Poyer. "Drew's here to talk things out with Brandon [Beane]. I know he's going to work, and I know Beane's going to work and I'm optimistic that something will happen, but I'm just excited to be out here and playing football again."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

"Drew and I have a great relationship, as do us and Jordan and Drew and I have had many conversations," Beane said. "This just happened to work out for him to come up here and do this to start camp but we're good. I don't talk about negotiations, but we love Jordan, Drew is great to work with and that's probably the extent I'd be willing to talk about it."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I challenge the idea that Jordan Poyor is that important to the Bills D. Is he better than Lawyer Milloy in his prime? NE cut Lawyer and yet still win superbowls.

Coaching is important when you go to the very top - because the margin is that small and the team talent is so close.

If the cap is so easily by-passed, those big market teams would've dominated the superbowls already.

19. Post thanked by:

notacon (07-25-2022),YardRat (07-25-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Knox, Edmunds, Poyer

We are losing 2 of the 3 next season.

If we lose two it would be Poyer and Edmunds imo.

Having said that I'll bet we keep at least two.

Poyer won't be that difficult to replace or resign so he's in or out without any real pain.

Knox is mandatory soooooo Edmunds will be the odd man out.

No way this is our only year that's just silly imo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I challenge the idea that Jordan Poyor is that important to the Bills D. Is he better than Lawyer Milloy in his prime? NE cut Lawyer and yet still win superbowls.

Coaching is important when you go to the very top - because the margin is that small and the team talent is so close.

If the cap is so easily by-passed, those big market teams would've dominated the superbowls already.
    Hyde & Poyer both joined the Bills 5 years ago, in 2017. They were both 26 years old at the start of the 2017 season, and have performed admirable in those seasons together....providing the Bills exactly what they needed as they were being rebuilt.

That (two very capable experienced vets in the secondary) enabled the Bills to rotate various relatively low cost vets and undrafted Levi Wallace opposite of Tre’ White, where the Poyer/Hyde tandem was able to overcome any shortcoming from the #2 CB.

The Bills could have re-signed Wallace to a very reasonable contract as he was a steady CB, albeit not spectacular. Instead, they let him go before the draft, with the expectation of picking up a CB.....and drafted Elam using a high draft pick on CB for the first time since Tre’ White 5 years ago....a lifetime in the NFL.

I suspect that they did so with an eye toward the reality of the aging, and ever more expensive, S tandem of Poyer and Hyde, not being able to provide that security blanket for much longer.

In today’s NFL, the constant churn of younger, cheaper players must be PLANNED on.....sometimes two or three years in advance.

I believe the writing is on the wall for Poyer, and very soon, Hyde.

The cap in not necessary “easily by-passed” as it is easily manipulated to enact a strategy. Some teams do so for the short term....others think more mid or long term.

I don’t think it matters if teams are in a “big market” (that is exactly what the cap is supposed to, and has, prevented...domination by rich, big market teams) or not.....but rather it favors good front office planning and (like you opine) coaching.

GM Beane has shown himself to be EXTREMELY adept at working the cap and making roster decisions. He does not let problems linger, and has no hesitation of moving on from players that are either not worth the cap space, or are not performing up to expectation (or, sometimes more importantly, fitting within the structure of the team is so much to carry out the coaches' schemes).

Poyer AND Hyde may certainly have some excellence in them.....and what they bring to the table is exactly what another team may need. I suspect that it’s not what the Bills of 2023 and beyond envision.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,500 Times in 2,063 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    If we lose two it would be Poyer and Edmunds imo.

Having said that I'll bet we keep at least two.

Poyer won't be that difficult to replace or resign so he's in or out without any real pain.

Knox is mandatory soooooo Edmunds will be the odd man out.

No way this is our only year that's just silly imo.
    Poyer is an elite S. I wouldn't say it would be "painless" to replace him. But his age does make it a bit easier to accept if needed. I'd definitely miss him.

Still can't believe the highway robbery they pulled when they snatched him and Hyde at the discount rates they did

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    Poyer is an elite S. I wouldn't say it would be "painless" to replace him. But his age does make it a bit easier to accept if needed. I'd definitely miss him.

Still can't believe the highway robbery they pulled when they snatched him and Hyde at the discount rates they did
    Love to keep him around but not at a king's ransom.
    Looks like Beane is gonna take a shot at it ...... hope for the best.