Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: RB James Cook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,581 Times in 3,181 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: RB James Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'd be happy with that, not too sure how durable he'll prove in the pro game though, atm in terms of the workload. Singletary is 5'7, 203, Cook is 5'11 199. We'll see how the pro diet and weight room treats him.
    Let me amend what I said. Hopefully he can become a guy who they can give the ball to on the majority of carries, but still split time with another RB.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,415 Times in 4,308 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Let me amend what I said. Hopefully he can become a guy who they can give the ball to on the majority of carries, but still split time with another RB.
    Pretty excited about this kid .... hope he provides the lift we need in the RB department.
    Click This!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/IQy08hbocbc?feature=share

BUFFALO BILLS SCHEDULE

09/08 @ Rams 8:20 pm
    09/19 TITANS 7:15 pm
    09/25 @ Dolphins 1:00 pm
    10/02 @ Ravens 1:00 pm
    10/09 STEELERS 8:20 pm
    10/16 @ Chiefs 4:25 pm
    10/30 PACKERS 8:20 pm
    11/06 @ Jets 1:00 pm
    11/13 VIKINGS 1:00 pm
    11/20 BROWNS 1:00 pm
    11/24 @ Lions 12:30 pm
    12/01 @ Patriots 8:15 pm
    12/11 JETS 1:00 pm
    12/18 DOLPHINS TBD
    12/24 @ Bears 1:00 pm
    01/02 @ Bengals 8:30 pm
    01/08 PATRIOTS TBD

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Pretty excited about this kid .... hope he provides the lift we need in the RB department.
    I am as well, and I think he will, but the most carries he ever had per game in college was last year as a senior, and it was about 7.5/game. So if what Wally said is true, I'm not sure what team he wanted to play for who was going to have him run more than 7-8 times per game, at least initially. But if he proves he can handle more and be a workhorse, the Bills will oblige, and he'll get paid eventually.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am as well, and I think he will, but the most carries he ever had per game in college was last year as a senior, and it was about 7.5/game. So if what Wally said is true, I'm not sure what team he wanted to play for who was going to have him run more than 7-8 times per game, at least initially. But if he proves he can handle more and be a workhorse, the Bills will oblige, and he'll get paid eventually.
    I see him at least in the beginning a 5-8 receptions kind of guy.

Since we do not run a ton I'd say 6-8 carries might be a big number.

11-16 touches per game ..... effective touches and count me pleased.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I see him at least in the beginning a 5-8 receptions kind of guy.

Since we do not run a ton I'd say 6-8 carries might be a big number.

11-16 touches per game ..... effective touches and count me pleased.
    Yeah, he got about 10 touches a game between runs and passes last year. I'd say 11-16 touches sounds about right.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,919 Times in 8,256 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not really sure you need to amend it. He's an exciting possibility. No telling, yet. Never know.

I was kind of unhappy with the pick at the time, now, I'm seeing potential.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not really sure you need to amend it. He's an exciting possibility. No telling, yet. Never know.

We've been burned for so many years on the draft, my initial reaction was more critical than was deserved.

With no glaring holes, I now think Beane drafted very smart. Bernard I'm not so sure of but the other of the top 4 are great pics.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-17-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was happy that they didn't take a WR or Breece Hall at 25 and instead took a CB, which is what I was saying they desperately needed. I admittedly didn't know much about Cook, but once I found out he's got decent speed and is an excellent receiver, I liked the pick a lot.

11. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-17-2022)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,919 Times in 8,256 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think the thing I forget most about Bills picks in general, while looking at their attributes, is that Beane looks for players. Guys intent on being better, with a hunger for the game. Couple misses there, but they're generally guys with desire to do something in the game.

Cook has his chance. Yeah, I like the pick now too. Has some awesome potential.

13. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (05-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,924 Times in 6,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was happy that they didn't take a WR or Breece Hall at 25 and instead took a CB, which is what I was saying they desperately needed. I admittedly didn't know much about Cook, but once I found out he's got decent speed and is an excellent receiver, I liked the pick a lot.
    I was disappointed that the Bills did not move back up into the high second round (or even the low first round) and grab Breece Hall in addition to Elam.

They could have done it easily and would not have effected the overall talent of the draft class. I would have been pleased even if they spent some 2023 draft capital.

Cook is probably going to be a fairly good situational back, especially in pass catching. Breece Hall will probably be a full time starter that will be one of the better RB’s in the NFL.

We will see first hand what we missed twice a year. Every time he burns us with a big play (or worse yet) the small plays that mean big things, we will see what the Bills could have had.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,626 Times in 4,817 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I was disappointed that the Bills did not move back up into the high second round (or even the low first round) and grab Breece Hall in addition to Elam.

They could have done it easily and would not have effected the overall talent of the draft class. I would have been pleased even if they spent some 2023 draft capital.

Cook is probably going to be a fairly good situational back, especially in pass catching. Breece Hall will probably be a full time starter that will be one of the better RB’s in the NFL.

We will see first hand what we missed twice a year. Every time he burns us with a big play (or worse yet) the small plays that mean big things, we will see what the Bills could have had.
    Contrary to the “smoke screen leaks” of the Bills liking Breece….. I would bet he blew his interview and had no elevator pitch.

16. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-18-2022),Woodman (05-18-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Contrary to the “smoke screen leaks” of the Bills liking Breece….. I would bet he blew his interview and had no elevator pitch.
    yup!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you've looked at a draft value chart recently, you'd realize that it wouldn't have been "easy" at all to move up from the 25th pick of the 2nd round to the 3rd pick. It would have cost all of their remaining picks and then some.\

As for how good Hall will be, it remains to be seen.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you've looked at a draft value chart recently, you'd realize that it wouldn't have been "easy" at all to move up from the 25th pick of the 2nd round to the 3rd pick. It would have cost all of their remaining picks and then some.\

As for how good Hall will be, it remains to be seen.
    Oh, I did look at the “value charts”. Like I said, I would be very pleased if they had to spend some 2023 draft capital for an immediate impact player for 2022.

It WOULD have been "easy” to move up. All you have to do is decide to do so. It would NOT have cost them "all of their remaining picks and then some”

The closest trade to what the Bills would have to done was:

Texans received:

Round 2 No. 44 overall (12th pick second round):

Browns received :

Round 3, No. 68 overall (4th pick 3rd round)
    Round 4, No. 108 overall (4th pick 4th round)
    Round 4, No. 124 overall (20th pick 4th round).

The Texans moved up 24 spots for their 3rd round and two 4th round picks.

The Bills could have moved up 23 spots (from #57 overall to #34 overall) for probably...

Round 2, No. 57 overall
    Round 3, No. 89 overall
    Round 5, No. 168 overall

Or....

2022 round 3, No. 89 overall
    2023 2nd round pick

And yes, it does “remain to be seen” how good Hall is....and that applies to ANY draft pick. That’s what the draft is all about. And with the Bills having a Super Bowl contending roster already, fewer draft picks have a chance of making the team than those selected by teams in rebuilding mode.

I would have loved to see Breece Hall in the Bills backfield. It remains to be even how good James Cook is going to be. I suspect that Hall will be head and shoulders better than Cook.
    Last edited by notacon; 05-19-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW Gooby....conducting a NFL draft is really, really difficult. Every decision is filled with pitfalls and second guessing.

Although, as fans, we enjoy playing GM, I have the utmost respect for Brandon Beane and trust his judgment 100%. The results of his stewardship is readily apparent.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh, I did look at the “value charts”. Like I said, I would be very pleased if they had to spend some 2023 draft capital for an immediate impact player for 2022.

It WOULD have been "easy” to move up. All you have to do is decide to do so. It would NOT have cost them "all of their remaining picks and then some”

The closest trade to what the Bills would have to done was:

Texans received:

Round 2 No. 44 overall (12th pick second round):

Browns received :

Round 3, No. 68 overall (4th pick 3rd round)
    Round 4, No. 108 overall (4th pick 4th round)
    Round 4, No. 124 overall (20th pick 4th round).

The Texans moved up 24 spots for their 3rd round and two 4th round picks.

The Bills could have moved up 23 spots (from #57 overall to #34 overall) for probably...

Round 2, No. 57 overall
    Round 3, No. 89 overall
    Round 5, No. 168 overall

Or....

2022 round 3, No. 89 overall
    2023 2nd round pick

And yes, it does “remain to be seen” how good Hall is....and that applies to ANY draft pick. That’s what the draft is all about. And with the Bills having a Super Bowl contending roster already, fewer draft picks have a chance of making the team than those selected by teams in rebuilding mode.

I would have loved to see Breece Hall in the Bills backfield. It remains to be even how good James Cook is going to be. I suspect that Hall will be head and shoulders better than Cook.
    No, the closest was the Packers who traded for the 34th pick using their 2-2nd rounders, giving up a lot of points. The Bills would have had to get to 35 to get a shot at Hall (who went 36) and the Titans would have demanded a huge haul as well since the Bills are their rival and they saw what the Packers gave up.

And Cook will be splitting time with Singletary, not expected to be the lead back. Hall will probably be their lead back. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the NFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When featured backs get hurt, then what do you do? Too altering to the offense for me. I'm fine with not giving up assets to get Hall. James Cook is a sneaky good pick. He and Shakir could be both invaluable pieces.

The only guy this O needs to feature is Allen.

23. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (05-19-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    When featured backs get hurt, then what do you do? Too altering to the offense for me. I'm fine with not giving up assets to get Hall. James Cook is a sneaky good pick. He and Shakir could be both invaluable pieces.

The only guy this O needs to feature is Allen.
    Can't wait to see Cook and Shakir take their shots.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can't wait to see Cook and Shakir take their shots.
    Two good guys, too.

Amazing draft class.

Hall can have fun in green.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No, the closest was the Packers who traded for the 34th pick using their 2-2nd rounders, giving up a lot of points. The Bills would have had to get to 35 to get a shot at Hall (who went 36) and the Titans would have demanded a huge haul as well since the Bills are their rival and they saw what the Packers gave up.

And Cook will be splitting time with Singletary, not expected to be the lead back. Hall will probably be their lead back. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the NFL.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

You're seriously trying to go into the minds of the Titans GM?!?!? ALL teams in the AFC are the Bills rival.

Using this draft value chart....

#33 pick is worth 110.5. The Bills #57 is worth 70.1. So, the Bills would have to make up 40.4 points (the difference in value of #57 overall to #33 overall).

The Bills No 89 overall is worth 38.3.....and No. 168 overall is worth 6.6. Those together are worth 44.9. It would be a difference of value of 4.5 “overpay"

A draft pick is worth whatever another team is willing to pay for it in trade. The Bills could have gotten a trade to grab Breece Hall, and it would not have cost them as much as you think.

Of course, the true value is in Beane’s hands. And obviously he valued the picks he made. I respect his management of the Bills roster.

BTW....according to the value chart I just used, the Bills trade in the first round (#23 overall for the Bills #25 & #130 overall) was pretty close to my proposed trade for Hall. (#33 for Bills #57, #89 & #168)

The value of moving from #25 to #23 is worth 12.5 points (161.5 minus 149). The difference in what the Bills paid (#25 = 149 plus #130 = 15.6 or 164.6 total) was 15.6 points (a difference of 3.1 points). They slightly overpaid to move up. Not surprising when dealing with a 1st round pick since 1st round picks have the advantage of the fifth year option.

If the Bills did a trade that I propose (#33 overall for #57, #89 & #168) it would be a little more of an “overpay” (4.5 points) than the trade they DID do in round round one.

So it would be perfectly possible.