Thread: Thanks Rick Jeanneret

Thanks
    Thanked 12,762 Times in 8,653 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks Rick Jeanneret

Buffalo Sabres fans are a lucky bunch. We've endured some lean years. Bills too. But we've had guys like Ted Darling, Van Miller, and Rick Jeanneret. Listening to Sabres games won't be the same without him. Paul Hamilton writes a nice send-off piece to RJ. A great. How fortunate we were all these years. Thanks RJ. We're going to miss you.

OPINION: Casey Mittelstadt sent RJ off in style, with an overtime goal.
    After that goal, Rick Jeanneret signed off for the final time

By Paul Hamilton

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) – It was only fitting that on the night of “RJ’s Final Call”, the game went to overtime. It gave the legend one last chance to give a signature call and it came 2:07 in as Casey Mittelstadt batted home a Dylan Cozens rebound as Rick Jeanneret screamed, “They scoooore. Casey, Casey at the bat, Casey Mittelstadt hammers it home and Buffalo wins it in ooooovertime!!!”

So that goal put the wraps on a 51-year career for Jeanneret and the almost 17-thousand people in the building didn’t want him to leave.

He gave a speech from his seat in the booth, got up, went downstairs for one last bow on the ice and out the back door he went.

When I first started full-time at WGR, I was in the booth for two months with Jeanneret and Larry Playfair. Boy did I get an education on how to be a professional. My parents taught me to keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open and you might learn something. That unfortunately is something that’s been lost in our know it all society.

I watched how he handled a game, how he prepared for a broadcast. How he handled himself around players. I learned that we are not there to become friends with the players. You respect them and try to earn their respect and you’ll have an excellent professional relationship. If you walk into an establishment and a coach or a player is there, you leave. Our work with them is at the arena and nowhere else.

RJ taught me the game itself. You don’t learn the game if you don’t watch the game and a lot of it. I’ve heard it so many times from reporters who blow into town and say they want to be the hockey expert at their station or paper and then you hardly ever see them, Oh they might show up for maybe half the games and a third of the practices, but you don’t earn respect that way and you never know what the coaches are trying to get across to their players. RJ taught me all those things without saying a word to me. I picked it up by keeping my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open.

Sometimes Rick would seem gruff, but he would give you the shirt off his back if he trusted you. There were many nights where I would buy one round of drinks and RJ made sure I never pulled my wallet out again. He was a generous man on the road and was always willing to share in those ways.

I don’t think there was a player that I ran across that didn’t respect RJ. When Rick’s banner went into the rafters, Rob Ray said none of the people that were up there deserved it more than Rick Jeanneret. He was so right and by the time the season ended and RJ left out the back door for the last time, there weren’t too many dry eyes in the house.
    Link to article.

Last edited by swiper; 04-30-2022 at 08:33 AM.
    intgar is a

2. Post thanked by:

Woodman (04-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,762 Times in 8,653 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Thanks Rick Jeanneret

Fans, players, Sabres suits & coaches all stood up and looked up toward the booth last night after the final buzzer. Showed the class and love of all that is Buffalo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,396 Times in 4,291 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rick never gave less than everything.

God Bless
    Click This!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/IQy08hbocbc?feature=share

BUFFALO BILLS SCHEDULE

09/08 @ Rams 8:20 pm
    09/19 TITANS 7:15 pm
    09/25 @ Dolphins 1:00 pm
    10/02 @ Ravens 1:00 pm
    10/09 STEELERS 8:20 pm
    10/16 @ Chiefs 4:25 pm
    10/30 PACKERS 8:20 pm
    11/06 @ Jets 1:00 pm
    11/13 VIKINGS 1:00 pm
    11/20 BROWNS 1:00 pm
    11/24 @ Lions 12:30 pm
    12/01 @ Patriots 8:15 pm
    12/11 JETS 1:00 pm
    12/18 DOLPHINS TBD
    12/24 @ Bears 1:00 pm
    01/02 @ Bengals 8:30 pm
    01/08 PATRIOTS TBD

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,983 Times in 12,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gotta admit: I’m an emotional misfit on an almost Asberger’s level. The only emotion I can express is anger.

But I teared up a couple of times knowing it was the last time I’d hear RJ.

6. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-30-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Very sad day for Buffalo sports, but we are all better for having RJ in our sports lives for 50 years. There will be others, but nobody including Ted Darling call a hockey game better. He will be missed!
    Once you can no longer expect justice from the system, then it has failed and you don't have a government you just have a mafia!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

8. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-30-2022),Woodman (04-30-2022)