Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 203

Thread: Punter Matt Araiza

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,823
    Thanks
    2,307
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 3,137 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    59

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    There was a dropped hold in this year's SB. Trusting Ariaza with holding and punting during a SB window to save a little cap space might not be wise. He's a long shot to make the final cut, imo.
    I totally disagree. Haack is a dead man walking.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

  2. #102
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I totally disagree. Haack is a dead man walking.
    I sure hope the staff isn't in such a hurry to give the job over to not only a rookie, but a newbie to the position. Haack wasn't good, but I feel better when the pressure is on with him than with Ariaza.

    Ariaza has a great mindset and punted it really far in the Mountain West for one year. Is there any other attributes about his game that should make me feel comfortable about giving him the keys during a Super Bowl run?

    I'll probably rather stay with Haack.
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 05-17-2022 at 07:31 PM.

  3. #103
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    38,943
    Thanks
    4,440
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 4,248 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    118

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    I think the rook wins the competition and the holding can be done by another if need be.

    Competition has arrived .... we'll end up the benefactor.
    BUFFALO BILLS SCHEDULE

    09/08 @ Rams 8:20 pm
    09/19 TITANS 7:15 pm
    09/25 @ Dolphins 1:00 pm
    10/02 @ Ravens 1:00 pm
    10/09 STEELERS 8:20 pm
    10/16 @ Chiefs 4:25 pm
    10/30 PACKERS 8:20 pm
    11/06 @ Jets 1:00 pm
    11/13 VIKINGS 1:00 pm
    11/20 BROWNS 1:00 pm
    11/24 @ Lions 12:30 pm
    12/01 @ Patriots 8:15 pm
    12/11 JETS 1:00 pm
    12/18 DOLPHINS TBD
    12/24 @ Bears 1:00 pm
    01/02 @ Bengals 8:30 pm
    01/08 PATRIOTS TBD


  4. #104
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I think the rook wins the competition and the holding can be done by another if need be.

    Competition has arrived .... we'll end up the benefactor.
    Why will he win?

    What else has he proven he can do for the punt game, other than punting it a mile for one year in the Mountain West?

    Haack isn't that unqualified.

  5. #105
    Well, lookie here... YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    79,563
    Thanks
    27,208
    Thanked 27,664 Times in 15,628 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    226

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Much to do about nothing. He will PRACTICE holding over and over and he will get good at it. It's not brain surgery.


    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
    .

  6. #106
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Never sure what's your opinion.

  7. #107
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    38,943
    Thanks
    4,440
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 4,248 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    118

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Why will he win?

    What else has he proven he can do for the punt game, other than punting it a mile for one year in the Mountain West?

    Haack isn't that unqualified.
    He'll win if he's a better punter and the bar looks low from here.

    Haack needed to do a better job and we wouldn't have drafted a punter ... I see Haack as a miss JMO.

  8. #108
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    He'll win if he's a better punter and the bar looks low from here.

    Haack needed to do a better job and we wouldn't have drafted a punter ... I see Haack as a miss JMO.
    Araiza will win because Haack sucks?

    Not a ringing endorsement. And Haack isn't too bad. Just not a crowd pleaser who had a bad stretch.

    I'll take the vet, all else equal.

  9. #109
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    38,943
    Thanks
    4,440
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 4,248 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    118

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Araiza will win because Haack sucks?

    Not a ringing endorsement. And Haack isn't too bad. Just not a crowd pleaser who had a bad stretch.

    I'll take the vet, all else equal.
    very good young man.

    may the best foot win!!!!

  10. #110
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    17,077
    Thanks
    3,656
    Thanked 7,571 Times in 4,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    52

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Araiza will win because Haack sucks?

    Not a ringing endorsement. And Haack isn't too bad. Just not a crowd pleaser who had a bad stretch.

    I'll take the vet, all else equal.
    Glad we went with the rookie QB in 2018

  11. #111
    Well, lookie here... YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    79,563
    Thanks
    27,208
    Thanked 27,664 Times in 15,628 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    226

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Never sure what's your opinion.
    My opinion is being a first time holder and the possibility of ****ing up in the moment can be much more than "not a big deal".

    If anybody on the entire planet should understand that...or at least consider it...it's Bills fans.

  12. #112
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Glad we went with the rookie QB in 2018
    Oh me too, but in '18 we weren't on a Suber Bowl run like we are know.

    I like Ariaza. I like his potential.

    He has very little nuance to his game though.
    Punting is more than just blasting the ball 70 yards straight down the field.

    He punted in the Mountain West for a year. Big whoop! There is going to be so many really big moments for us coming up soon. He better not flinch. He's a rookie and rookies make rookie mistakes. If Marv Levy was here right now...

  13. #113
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Bojorquez was a left-footed punter. Not an issue for the returners then.
    The only issue I have with Ariaz punting lefty is that he's a righty with very minimal punting experience.

    If he ever gets the yips he only has an unconventional foundation of a year of work to go back too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    My opinion is being a first time holder and the possibility of ****ing up in the moment can be much more than "not a big deal".

    If anybody on the entire planet should understand that...or at least consider it...it's Bills fans.
    How big of a deal is it, in your opinion?

  14. #114
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    17,077
    Thanks
    3,656
    Thanked 7,571 Times in 4,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    52

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Oh me too, but in '18 we weren't on a Suber Bowl run like we are know.

    I like Ariaza. I like his potential.

    He has very little nuance to his game though.
    Punting is more than just blasting the ball 70 yards straight down the field.

    He punted in the Mountain West for a year. Big whoop! There is going to be so many really big moments for us coming up soon. He better not flinch. He's a rookie and rookies make rookie mistakes. If Marv Levy was here right now...
    Super Bowl run starts after Chiefs beaten in post season

  15. #115
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Super Bowl run starts after Chiefs beaten in post season
    Semantics I think.

    Would you say our SB window is open now?

    I think it is, and it wasn't when Josh was drafted. Placing the punting duties in the hands of a raw rookie when the window is open is risky business. Very risky.

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,823
    Thanks
    2,307
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 3,137 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    59

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    That's what the rookie minicamp and training cap are for: to work on refining his technique. If he makes the team and falters during the season, they can bring in other punters.

  17. #117
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    That's what the rookie minicamp and training cap are for: to work on refining his technique. If he makes the team and falters during the season, they can bring in other punters.
    The pressure only builds as the season progresses. The only way to find out how he handles that is for him to be in big situations. Could cost us. Big time.

  18. #118
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    17,077
    Thanks
    3,656
    Thanked 7,571 Times in 4,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    52

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    The pressure only builds as the season progresses. The only way to find out how he handles that is for him to be in big situations. Could cost us. Big time.
    But then again it might not cost us anything. One year BU QBs were no longer holding and every active NFL punter had to learn how to hold. They all got it.

    if this kid flips the field a handful of times without giving opposing offenses a short field… worth it. Holding is a learned skill but it’s not brain surgery. To not worry about a 21 yard shank is the trade off here.

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,823
    Thanks
    2,307
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 3,137 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    59

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    The pressure only builds as the season progresses. The only way to find out how he handles that is for him to be in big situations. Could cost us. Big time.
    The pressure…of holding a football? OK.

  20. #120
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10,451
    Thanks
    4,190
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    31

    Re: Punter Matt Araiza

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    The pressure…of holding a football? OK.
    I'm not only talking about holding responsibilities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •