Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Jones supposedly took a big step forward

Thanks
    Thanked 12,629 Times in 8,545 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mac Jones supposedly took a big step forward

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Mac Jones sucks.
    You people are something else. No he does NOT suck. He was an rookie thrown in to start. Almost none of those ever succeed. Yet Jones through for over 3800 yards (13th in the league!) for a 67.6% average. That, in fact, is great for the situation he was put in. Open your eyes before you talk.

It was FAR better than Josh Allen's rookie year where he threw for 2000 yards and a 53% completion percentage. Jones YPC was even better than Allen's rookie number.

Get your facts straight folks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jones as a rookie was 7.3 yard per completion.

Josh Allen, a 4 year pro, same season? 6.8 yards per completion.

Who, exactly has a noodle arm?

Anyone who says Jones is not a good QB, doesn't know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-24-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,571 Times in 4,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Jones as a rookie was 7.3 yard per completion.

Skewed stay. Through it for your life will put up a big yards per completion. Controlling a game will give you less.

Josh? Noodle arm?Josh Allen, a 4 year pro, same season? 6.8 yards per completion.

Who, exactly has a noodle arm?

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We played NE and big bad Mac Jones 3 times last year.

We outscored them 90-52, out passed them 753 yards to 374 yards (that's twice as many), and out turnovered them 1 to 5.

It took a once in a blue moon snow/wind storm to allow them to barely squeak by us with a 4th down red zone stop.

NE beat 2 playoff teams last year. One was us in the storm, the other was the Titans without Henry.

I'll be afraid of NE and Mac Jones when they give me a reason to be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    You people are something else. No he does NOT suck. He was an rookie thrown in to start. Almost none of those ever succeed. Yet Jones through for over 3800 yards (13th in the league!) for a 67.6% average. That, in fact, is great for the situation he was put in. Open your eyes before you talk.

It was FAR better than Josh Allen's rookie year where he threw for 2000 yards and a 53% completion percentage. Jones YPC was even better than Allen's rookie number.

Get your facts straight folks.
    Mac Jones sucks out loud.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,164 Times in 6,985 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

May is a great month to look good at QB.

Wait..
    We don't even have pictures
    Just memories to hold
    That grow sweeter each season
    As we slowly grow old...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 6,344 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mac Jones’ second year is going to be very interesting.

From his performance his rookie year, he was head and shoulders the best QB to be drafted in 2021. And that from a highly touted QB class. Certainly much better than 2022.

He is in the best situation of all the 2021 QB’s.....and performed to such a high level that the Pats exceeded expectations.

He is not on the same level of Josh Allen, but right now, he is the 2nd best QB in the AFC East, and as he gains experience he will probably only get better.

I hear from ex-NFL players all the time about how they did not know **** when they were rookies, and had to learn how to become a NFL player. Just yesterday I was watching a rerun of the NFL “top 100” players....the QB section, and Brett Farve was talking about the importance of the head coach and how his knowledge and leadership provided the confidence to achieve.

And this quote was interesting....”....early in my career, when I didn’t know a good play from a bad play. A good team from a bad team, quite frankly. I put a lot of stock into what Mike Holmgren said. And, he was believable."

Not surprisingly the round table above had probably the greatest HC of all time, Bill Belichick, and the greatest QB of all time, Tom Brady, talking about the game they love and have excelled at the highest level.

The combination of what seems like a very level headed, calm and smart QB in Mac Jones, with the greatest HC in the history of the NFL, it would be foolish to discount the expectation of Mac Jones taking a “big step forward” this season and many more to come.

Thankfully, the Buffalo Bills have a unique and rare talent in Josh Allen. And the Bills organization is the best in the history of the team, I like their chances in competing with Mac Jones and the Pats.

8. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-24-2022)

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,832 Times in 12,242 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Mac Jones’ second year is going to be very interesting.

From his performance his rookie year, he was head and shoulders the best QB to be drafted in 2021. And that from a highly touted QB class. Certainly much better than 2022.

He is in the best situation of all the 2021 QB’s.....and performed to such a high level that the Pats exceeded expectations.

He is not on the same level of Josh Allen, but right now, he is the 2nd best QB in the AFC East, and as he gains experience he will probably only get better.

I hear from ex-NFL players all the time about how they did not know **** when they were rookies, and had to learn how to become a NFL player. Just yesterday I was watching a rerun of the NFL “top 100” players....the QB section, and Brett Farve was talking about the importance of the head coach and how his knowledge and leadership provided the confidence to achieve.

And this quote was interesting....”....early in my career, when I didn’t know a good play from a bad play. A good team from a bad team, quite frankly. I put a lot of stock into what Mike Holmgren said. And, he was believable."

Not surprisingly the round table above had probably the greatest HC of all time, Bill Belichick, and the greatest QB of all time, Tom Brady, talking about the game they love and have excelled at the highest level.

The combination of what seems like a very level headed, calm and smart QB in Mac Jones, with the greatest HC in the history of the NFL, it would be foolish to discount the expectation of Mac Jones taking a “big step forward” this season and many more to come.

Thankfully, the Buffalo Bills have a unique and rare talent in Josh Allen. And the Bills organization is the best in the history of the team, I like their chances in competing with Mac Jones and the Pats.
    For once, we actually agree. I do think the Bills are currently better than the Pats, and should win the division, but Mac Jones can't be dismissed. I highly doubt he'll dominate us the way Brady did, especially with us having Allen. I could see him being a thorn in our side though, maybe taking a game from us and screwing up our playoff positioning.

He plays for the Evil Empire and it would be great if we could dismiss him, but he won 10 games as a rookie.

10. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-25-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mac Jones is not even a top 10 QB in the AFC.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,209 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I hope the Pat's stick with Jones for the long and expensive term, who's running attack made him look more lethal than I think he is.
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 05-25-2022 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    I hope the Pat's stick with Jones for the long and expensive term, who's running attack made him look more lethal than I think he is.
    Good enough to keep around but not crappy enough for good draft picks.

like tannyhill in Miami.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 3,137 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was listening to ESPN radio on the way in to work this year. They were talking about QBs who got paid way too early (Goff, Wentz, etc.) and then Keyshawn, like he's done a few times before, brought up how Josh played well after getting his big money deal but "we'll see how [he] is without Daboll," as if Daboll was so great in the NFL before and made Josh. And not one mention of how Mac Jones lost one of the best OCs in the NFL, and not only that, will probably be getting his calls from Belicheater or Matt Patricia (both defensive guys) or Joe Judge (a ST's coach).
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

15. Post thanked by:

Novacane (05-27-2022),sukie (05-25-2022),swiper (05-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Miami players and media are also giddy over the way Tua looks in practice. In the spring, everybody looks great.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

17. Post thanked by:

Night Train (05-25-2022),swiper (05-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 3,137 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I was listening to ESPN radio on the way in to work this year. They were talking about QBs who got paid way too early (Goff, Wentz, etc.) and then Keyshawn, like he's done a few times before, brought up how Josh played well after getting his big money deal but "we'll see how [he] is without Daboll," as if Daboll was so great in the NFL before and made Josh. And not one mention of how Mac Jones lost one of the best OCs in the NFL, and not only that, will probably be getting his calls from Belicheater or Matt Patricia (both defensive guys) or Joe Judge (a ST's coach).
    Ugh, meant this morning.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,313 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Miami players and media are also giddy over the way Tua looks in practice. In the spring, everybody looks great.
    Tua and Mac are basically the same QB

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Mac Jones is not even a top 10 QB in the AFC.
    He was #13 OVERALL IN THE NFL as a rookie. Look again. Look at the stats I posted.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Agree strongly with your comments on Daboll (or Keyshawn's). And while you are right about what appears to be the OC/play-calling situation in NE, I said the other day two things: Belichick is still the best ever coach in the NFL and it's his playbook more than the OC on that team. Not every team, but on that team. I think they'll be fine. It looks like they'll slowly slide Judge into that OC space and go from there. You, I, and everyone know not to ever count Belichick out. Will the Bills beat the Patriots? I think so, but it won't necessarily be easy.

This year, in particular, I will be much more interested in how the other 3 AFC East teams play against each other. The Jets seem to have their first decent coach in a long time and have loaded themselves with physical talent. That team goes as their young QB goes. Miami I just don't see being so great, but I understand they have a couple of special players. Their QB isn't as good as they are selling. And the Patriots are going bout their post-Brady years in a pragmatic manner. I think the Patriots will go as goes their defense. If they can stop teams like Miami and NYJ, then they can have a decent season. I think the people calling Mac Jones garbage are just nuts.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-25-2022 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 919 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

People writing off the Pats are nuts. That team demonstrated 4X the resilience of the Bills last season. They kept coming and coming and coming and coming. They won SEVERAL games on sheer will alone. They didn't have the talent in the end which does play out -- however, you add some skills and talent to that squad and they are dangerous if they come with the same fierce competitive and consistent spirit they had last season.

23. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-25-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

3051 yards, 7.1 per attempt, 62.5% completion, also ranked 13th in yards…….. JP Losman 2006

25. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (05-25-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    3051 yards, 7.1 per attempt, 62.5% completion, also ranked 13th in yards…….. JP Losman 2006
    LOL. Knowing you, I'm sure you did your research before posting as devil's advocate. I fact checked you. You are right in the sense that it is a limited body of work. But if a QB was able to produce at that level once as a rookie, you have to think that if the team keeps as much stable around him as they can, they he will only gradually improve. Josh did. Some will. Some won't. We'll have to wait and see, but in a Belichick system I wouldn't bet against him. The same system that allowed a 6th round pick grow and thrive for 20 years.

Who had the #13 spot the year before Jones? 2020 #13 was Kyler Murray with > 3900 yards thrown for.