Thread: Buffalo's draft picks....and who the Sabres should pick in the first round

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,900 Times in 4,395 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo's draft picks....and who the Sabres should pick in the first round

The Sabres have picks in ALL seven rounds of the NHL Draft which will take place July 7th & 8th in Montreal.

Here's how it shakes out:

1st: 3 picks: 9th, 16th(from Vegas)and 28th(from Florida)
    2nd: 1 pick
    3rd: 1 pick
    4th: 1 pick
    5th: 1 pick(from New Jersey)
    6th: 2 picks(including one from Calgary)
    7th: 1 pick

Next question: Who would you want the Sabres to pick with their 3 selections in round 1?

(The Hockey News has their Draft Preview issue out; use that if you wish. Ditto any of the mock drafts.)
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,900 Times in 4,395 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Buffalo's draft picks....and who the Sabres should pick in the first round

Just as a comparison, here's some of the chatter:

The Hockey News: They went with Winnipeg Ice(WHL)C Conor Geekie at #9(basically as a stockpile pick, as he's not even close to NHL-ready)but he has high-end puck skills and can skate, too)and D Owen Pickering(Swift Current(WHL)) at #16(raw, but has upside and is a two-way defenseman). (That article was done on May 10th, so there's no selections beyond #16.)

MyNHLDraft.com: #9: C/LW Cutter Gauthier(US NTDP)(versatility is a plus, AND he's physical as well), #16 C Marco Kasper(Rogle 120 Aus)(high-compete player, but no idea on how good he can be)and #28 D Tristan Luneau(Gatineau(QMJHL))(pegged as being more of a cerebral type of player; he's not dynamic or flashy in any area).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,631 Times in 4,821 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whomever they select is on the ice in 3-4 years? Dont care then. I’ll be cranky and in my 60s.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,961 Times in 10,881 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I want Savoie and brad Lambert
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 800 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Would be tempting to take Lambert @ 16... takes too many nights off... hence why he won't go in the top 10

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Would be tempting to take Lambert @ 16... takes too many nights off... hence why he won't go in the top 10
    Right. But at 16.... Too much talent not to

Thanks
    Thanked 12,827 Times in 8,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Question Re: Buffalo's draft picks....and who the Sabres should pick in the first round

Wasn't sure where to post this. This thread isn't right, but it's about the draft. So reading that a third player may be drafted #1 overall? To the posters that have followed the minors and Euros, is this right? Is Slafkovsky really that good?

Three players seem to be in the lead to be the NHL's first overall pick

Jaraj Slafkovsky has seen his stock rise this past year.

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) – After two years off for COVID-19, the NHL Scouting Combine returned to Buffalo this week. The teams met with players all week long and then wrapped things up with testing on Friday and Saturday.

Three different players have been mentioned as being a possibility to go first overall in this year’s draft in Montreal. The Canadiens have the No. 1 pick and at first it seemed like Shane Wright was the consensus top player, but Juraj Slafkovsky and Logan Cooley have made up ground and any of the three could be chosen by the Habs.

Shane Wright was quoted as saying he’s worked hard enough to be taken first overall, but that made Slafkovsky laugh. He said with a smile still on his face, “That’s what he thinks! I think something else.”

Montreal took Wright and Cooley out for a big dinner, but Slafkovsky thinks he made a better impression in his meeting with the Habs in Buffalo, “I didn’t have the dinner, but I think the talk we had was to me, tested better than dinner,” he said with a wry smile. That of course got a big laugh around the room.

Slafkovsky’s stock went up during the Olympics when he played for Slovakia and former Buffalo Sabres Craig Ramsay (head coach) and Miro Satan (General Manager). The 18-year-old led all goal scorers at the Olympics helping Slovakia to a surprising bronze medal.

At last month’s World Championship, his scoring continued for Slovakia netting three goals and six assists for nine points in eight games.

It was easy to see the elite talent he possesses in those two tournaments, but when he played professionally this season for TPS of Liga, he only had five goals and five assists for 10 points in 31 games. When he played for TPS U20, the numbers popped again with six goals and 12 assists for 18 points in 11 games played.

Slafkovsky is proud of his pro season with TPS and isn’t the least bit concerned that the numbers weren’t there, “It’s all about the freedom and the trust I get from the coach of the National Team and then in TPS, it’s a lot about the style. If you watch the games with TPS, it’s a lot of defending, it’s also boring to watch, but it’s not an excuse, so I should score more, but I’m OK with how my season ended and I can build from that to be a solid hockey player.”

Wright played for the Kingston Frontenacs of the OHL while Cooley was with the U.S. National Development team in the USHL. Slafkovsky thinks playing professionally and with the National team, makes him better prepared, “I played men's and they played junior and it’s a little bit better preparation in my opinion to play men's in two levels and I feel like I’m pretty prepared and I know how it works in the men's leagues.”

Slafkovsky was very engaging when he spoke on Friday. He did stay for Saturday, but didn’t test because his season just ended.

Slafkovsky’s development has been amazing in the past year and he said, “A lot of it was about the confidence because I knew I could play hockey before, but I just didn’t show it. At the Olympics, my confidence was pretty high, so it was more about that I needed to trust myself more.”

Ramsay played all 1070 games of his NHL career with the Sabres. He only played 19 AHL games before coming up for good and was quietly one of the best defensive forwards this league has ever seen. He constantly battled Bob Gainey of Montreal for the Selke Trophy. Slafkovky said Ramsay is successful with the Slovakian National Team because of one trait that he has, “He’s a very calm guy and in Slovakia, we are stressful people, we stress a lot and he’s always calm and smiling and that’s what I feel like we needed.”

Slafkovsky compares himself to Mikko Rantanen of the Colorado Avalanche because he said they’re both tall and play the same style like driving the net. If he were taken No. 1, he said it would have meaning for more than just him, “For me personally, it would mean a lot because that’s what I worked for every day since I was five, but for Slovakia I think it would be a big impact and a lot of young players that are thinking if they should continue or should they stop and do something else I think it would help them think that maybe they could do the same, so it would be good for Slovak hockey all around.”

Just to give you a comparison, Satan played 1050 games and scored 363 goals in the NHL. He was taken in the fifth-round of the 1993 draft by the Edmonton Oilers.

The Sabres would have to trade up to get a shot at Slafkovsky as Buffalo holds the ninth, 16th and 28th overall picks. The Draft is July 7, 8.
    Last edited by swiper; 06-05-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this. This thread isn't right, but it's about the draft. So reading that a third player may be drafted #1 overall? To the posters that have followed the minors and Euros, is this right? Is Slafkovsky really that good?

Three players seem to be in the lead to be the NHL's first overall pick
    Yeah, he's gonna be dynamic. I'm still on the wright train, as I believe a premium center is key, but yes.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,558 Times in 2,740 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like Kemell and Nazar.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,281 Times in 7,066 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The background check is key, since they won't even be seen in Buffalo for at least 3-4 years. Will they develop properly ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    The background check is key, since they won't even be seen in Buffalo for at least 3-4 years. Will they develop properly ?
    That's the old days. I bet the 9 pick is ready up by 23-24