Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFC East projected starters

Thanks
    Thanked 9,907 Times in 6,414 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: AFC East projected starters

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Rousseau started the first game of his rookie year. Sure he played 52% of the snaps, but he was still counted-on to be a contributor. And while Josh technically didn't start his first-ever game, he came in halfway through the game and started thereafter. That's counting on a rookie quite a bit, period.
    Jesus. Obviously, you can’t comprehend a very simple premise, nor are even trying.

That’s your problem.

What I (and Joe B.) opine is undeniably true. And I don’t need you to agree to make it true.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Jesus. Obviously, you can’t comprehend a very simple premise, nor are even trying.

That’s your problem.

What I (and Joe B.) opine is undeniably true. And I don’t need you to agree to make it true.
    I understand perfectly. Rousseau had virtually the same percentage of snaps as Jerry Hughes, a trusted veteran, did. Don't get stuck on the snap percentage: that's just how McD/Frazier roll with their DEs.

And I don't care what the plan with Josh was. He ended-up playing midway through the first game of his rookie year and then starting the rest of the way. That's putting a lot on a rookie, period.
    "You're more likely to make a lot of money if you work hard than if you don't."-Spartacus

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The starter can play the first snap and then none others. It doesn't change the fact that they started the game. It would go down in the books as a game started.

4. Post thanked by:

swiper (06-14-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    The starter can play the first snap and then none others. It doesn't change the fact that they started the game. It would go down in the books as a game started.
    Conversely a player could not play the first snap and every other one and not be considered to have started. That's why you look at the snap counts.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Conversely a player could not play the first snap and every other one and not be considered to have started. That's why you look at the snap counts.
    Sure if you are talking about how much each player plays. The starter is on the field the first play and that is how it goes into the stat book. So arguing who actually played more is irrelevant to the thread on starters.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Sure if you are talking about how much each player plays. The starter is on the field the first play and that is how it goes into the stat book. So arguing who actually played more is irrelevant to the thread on starters.
    Typically a player that starts is the best at his position on the team. And usually plays a lot during games.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,761 Times in 8,652 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Typically a player that starts is the best at his position on the team. And usually plays a lot during games.
    Not always.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Not always.
    Sure, there are rare exceptions. Which is why I said "typically."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I understand perfectly. Rousseau had virtually the same percentage of snaps as Jerry Hughes, a trusted veteran, did. Don't get stuck on the snap percentage: that's just how McD/Frazier roll with their DEs.

And I don't care what the plan with Josh was. He ended-up playing midway through the first game of his rookie year and then starting the rest of the way. That's putting a lot on a rookie, period.
    Which is basically my point. McDermott’s ideology is to not put pressure on rookies, unless necessary. Rousseau was not relied on his rookie year, and, as is the usual with McD, brought along slowly.

It was necessary to start Tre’ White and Edmunds right out of the gate, and not only have them start their first game, but play almost all the snaps since they were drafted.

It will be interesting to see how Elam is handled. Much will depend on whether Tre’ White is ready.

I’m not sure what you are objecting to, except just being argumentative. What I wrote is spot on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Which is basically my point. McDermott’s ideology is to not put pressure on rookies, unless necessary. Rousseau was not relied on his rookie year, and, as is the usual with McD, brought along slowly.

It was necessary to start Tre’ White and Edmunds right out of the gate, and not only have them start their first game, but play almost all the snaps since they were drafted.

It will be interesting to see how Elam is handled. Much will depend on whether Tre’ White is ready.

I’m not sure what you are objecting to, except just being argumentative. What I wrote is spot on.
    Yordad asked "What first rounder was drafted during McD that didn't start immediately?", you said "All of them except Tre’ White and Tremaine Edmunds" and I corrected you. You went off on me and that's how we ended up here.

Again Rousseau did start every game his rookie season and played as many snaps as the other, veteran ends did. And Josh started every game he was healthy for as a rookie after game 1. And I remembered it wrong, but Oliver also started his first 7 games as a rookie, but then was demoted. So McD certainly puts pressure on his 1st rounders to start early, but because he feels they can handle it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yordad asked "What first rounder was drafted during McD that didn't start immediately?", you said "All of them except Tre’ White and Tremaine Edmunds" and I corrected you. You went off on me and that's how we ended up here.

Again Rousseau did start every game his rookie season and played as many snaps as the other, veteran ends did. And Josh started every game he was healthy for as a rookie after game 1. And I remembered it wrong, but Oliver also started his first 7 games as a rookie, but then was demoted. So McD certainly puts pressure on his 1st rounders to start early, but because he feels they can handle it.