Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Phillips is one of the most important pieces to our passrush

Thanks
    Thanked 11,636 Times in 7,706 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jordan Phillips is one of the most important pieces to our passrush

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I thought the entire D-line played awesome. The middle of the line has certainly upgraded over last year.
    Exactly. There are eight members of the D-Line. Almost completely reworked and the addition of Von Miller makes all the other players more effective.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Jordan Philips is from the Kansas City area. But his girlfriend is a former UB lacrosse player from the Buffalo area and they have a kid together. That's the reason why he's often in Buffalo even when he was playing for the Cardinals.

The guy was drafted in 2nd round for a reason: a big man (320+ lb) with quickness of a 260 - 280 lb guy. Oliver is a 280 - 290 lb guy that's more explosive off the first step with power in Aaron Donald mold. I'll caution big does not equal power. Donald is about 290lb but he's universally recognized as one of the strongest D-Line guy.

Philips game is fairly uneven. He has bigger games than last Thursday before, but he also has (sometimes long) stretch of games of doing nothing. So it is an over-reaction just based on a game or two. Not a good reputation of disciplined like staying in his gaps etc. There is a reason he was released by the Dolphins before his rookie contract ran out, and why McDermott and Beane did not put him at a high enough priority to resign back then, even though the team needed a 3-tech DT badly.

If it was up to me, Ed Oliver is the one you go after. Younger and has improved every year. You will be surprised to know how many D-Line men never really study the film other than looking for tendencies of O-Lineman they are going face; that's because winning one-on-one battle, sometime one-on-two, has always been the big thing for them. But in interviews last year, Oliver mentioned he learned how to study films etc. and this year, he even sounded like Dequan Jones in saying you need to figure out quickly what they (offense) are trying to do in order to fight them. That sounded so much more than then the dumbed down answer of "staying in your lane/gap".

Of course if Josh Allen and the offense continue to perform like they did last Thursday, those D-Line can afford to play dumb: just go after the QB. Like yesterday's Chiefs and Cards game, I'm not a Cards fan but I know the feeling because during Brady's heydays in Buffalo, every drive we don't score a TD, it feels like we'll be down another 7 points and they are going to tee off on our QB ...

Good post.

Ed Oliver is an emerging superstar. Phillips was waived by the Dolphins after being a non-entity for three years, revived his career in Buffalo, but he was not worth matching Arizona’s offer to him in 2020 of $10M APY for three years. They cut him lose after two years and paying him $20M

He was injured and missed games in each of his two years in Arizona....seven of the last eight games in 2020, and first four games of 2021, and then the final thee games of the season including the playoff loss to the Rams.

The Bills signed him for a much more reasonable one year contract for half that with only a $3.5M cap hit.

Ed Oliver will be a priority to sign to a long term contract as he is coming into his own as a star.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The word from Miami was that playing at 340+lb weight as a starter for majority of the snaps, his play deteriorated and was labelled "lazy" in some snaps, but he wants to be THE man and has his snaps like 60 range.

When he comes to Buffalo, he becomes part of the rotation. Some believes that the best snaps for him in a game may be around 30. In other words, he's viewed as a rotational player. The problem is compensation as a rotational player. Not everyone can be Von Miller who can effective playing the whole game if needed.

Last Thursday, Oliver got 17 snaps before he went down. Philips, as the only other true 3-tech DT dressed, got a total of 35 snaps.

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-12-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    The word from Miami was that playing at 340+lb weight as a starter for majority of the snaps, his play deteriorated and was labelled "lazy" in some snaps, but he wants to be THE man and has his snaps like 60 range.

When he comes to Buffalo, he becomes part of the rotation. Some believes that the best snaps for him in a game may be around 30. In other words, he's viewed as a rotational player. The problem is compensation as a rotational player. Not everyone can be Von Miller who can effective playing the whole game if needed.

Last Thursday, Oliver got 17 snaps before he went down. Philips, as the only other true 3-tech DT dressed, got a total of 35 snaps.
    Like I said above, the rotation of eight different D-lineman, when the four “backups” can start on most teams, is THE “most important piece(s) to our pass rush”.

I provided the percentage of snaps each of the eight got, but the number of snaps provides an interesting story as well....

Daquan Jones - 46
    Greg Rousseau - 45
    A.J. Epenesa - 36
    Von Miller - 35
    Jordan Phillips - 35
    Boogie Basham - 26
    Tim Settle - 28
    Ed Oliver - 17

When your best DT had the least amount of snaps, and the D-Line still dominated.....that is great news indeed.

The other good news is that last year, Von Miler (for both DEN and LAR) averaged 51 snaps per game. There was only one game when he had less than 35 (33 in week 7 DEN vs CLE) and one game with 38 (week #3 DEN vs NYJ).

In his 8 regular season games with LAR, he averaged 54 snaps per game.

The Bills need Von Miller to close games, especially late in the year and critically, the playoffs. This formula, if it can be maintained, will go a long way to accomplish that goal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I dont wanna hear **** about the rotation. Phillips handled his on playing most of the snaps vs the strongest RB in the nfl

Olivers great but Phillips and Jones were the better matchup for a game like this
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

7. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (09-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They were beasts out there tonight!

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

9. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (09-20-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Expect a huge game from him this week vs. his first team The Phins.

11. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (09-20-2022)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,066 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He seems to have a certain nick foles quality to him

really good with one team and just disappointing with everyone else
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    I dont wanna hear **** about the rotation. Phillips handled his on playing most of the snaps vs the strongest RB in the nfl

Olivers great but Phillips and Jones were the better matchup for a game like this
    Of course you "don’t want to hear about the rotation” because you reject reality. Like I stated earlier, if Phillips can overcome his inconsistency and especially his injury history he could be a reliable DL in the rotation.

He was out of the game, while it was still in doubt, with a hamstring injury.

Phillips is a great addition to the Bills, but he is NOT “the most important pieces to our pass rush” and the depth and rotation of eight D-lineman is THE key to the Bills success. It’s a TEAM defense victory.

Joe B. supplied the facts and expert post game first impression quite succinctly ....

The job of the defensive tackles cannot be understated

The identity of the Titans is Derrick Henry and their running game, which put a massive emphasis on the Bills players up the middle. That started with the defensive tackles, but without Ed Oliver and Tim Settle available due to injury it made a difficult task a bit more daunting. The Bills called up practice squad defensive tackles Brandin Bryant and C.J. Brewer to fill the void and join starters DaQuan Jones and Jordan Phillips. Between the four of them, they were dominant at the line of scrimmage and were a key reason why Henry and the Titans rushing attack couldn’t get anything established. Here is a look at how the Titans fared against each of the defensive tackles.

Bills DTs vs. Titans run game (pre-garbage time)

PLAYER YARDS PER ATTEMPT ATTEMPTS AGAINST YARDS AGAINST
    DaQuan Jones 2.3 8 18
    Jordan Phillips 1.8 9 16
    Brandin Bryant 1.5 8 12
    C.J. Brewer 3.5 4 14

Bryant is the real standout there. He was one of the last players the Bills cut from the 53-man roster but made it through waivers and they retained him for the practice squad. Their faith in him was rewarded with an excellent game. Jones and Phillips were also both outstanding and dominated their matchups up front. But they weren’t out there alone, so what were the best defensive tackle combinations against Henry?

Bills DT pairings vs. Titans run game (pre-garbage time)

DT PAIRING YARDS PER ATTEMPT ATTEMPTS AGAINST YARDS AGAINST
    DaQuan Jones & Jordan Phillips 3.5 4 14
    DaQuan Jones & Brandin Bryant -1.0 1 -1
    DaQuan Jones & C.J. Brewer 1.5 2 3
    Jordan Phillips & Brandin Bryant 0.0 4 0
    Brandin Bryant & C.J. Brewer 5.5 2 11

Weirdly enough, the Jones and Phillips combination yielded the second-highest yards per carry average, but 3.5 is still a good figure. Once again, it’s Bryant standing out here. The Titans averaged zero yards or less in two of his three defensive tackle combinations. They only gained positive yardage when Bryant paired with Brewer, an undrafted rookie.

It is worth pointing out the Titans’ offensive line is quickly turning into one of the worst in the league. Their starting guards are an issue, they lost left tackle Taylor Lewan to an in-game injury and they’re also starting a third-round rookie at right tackle. But to the Bills’ credit, they dominated all night and didn’t allow Henry to become a factor.

Yes, the depth and rotation of D-line is the key.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Of course you "don’t want to hear about the rotation” because you reject reality. Like I stated earlier, if Phillips can overcome his inconsistency and especially his injury history he could be a reliable DL in the rotation.

He was out of the game, while it was still in doubt, with a hamstring injury.

Phillips is a great addition to the Bills, but he is NOT “the most important pieces to our pass rush” and the depth and rotation of eight D-lineman is THE key to the Bills success. It’s a TEAM defense victory.

Joe B. supplied the facts and expert post game first impression quite succinctly ....

Yes, the depth and rotation of D-line is the key.

Your stats backup that Phillips was holding his own as the number one DT vs the strongest RB in the nfl and was amazing with a practice squad DT? Im hoping that you dont think Bryant wasnt the reason Phillips stats were amazing because Phillips definitely helped him more than bryant helped him

Also please for god sakes educate yourself before you talk, Phillips got hurt running with milano during his int

"In the fourth quarter, Buffalo announced that linebacker Matt Milano and defensive tackle Jordan Phillips were both being evaluated for injuries as well and that they would not return."

If you think the game was in doubt when we were up 35-7, then well, you have no faith in our team

I have no clue why you insist on discrediting Phillips, it almost seems like you just dont like him or something, but aside from Von, hes the best player on our DL. Followed by Oliver then Rousseau

He has Olivers skillset but hes way bigger and stronger

Just stop man, be happy we have a dt thats playing like a top 5-10 DT in the nfl and quit sayinf "its just the rotation guys" to discredit how good he is

You claimed it was the rotation, he played the majority of the snaps because he had to, we played the strongest RB in the nfl whos a top 5 RB and he locked down the interior line. It wasnt the rotation monday, we didnt have a rotation, we had 4 DTs active and 2 are practice squad players

This may be your worst take, just give phillips credit and quit with the passive aggressive "yes the ALL played well and the ROTATION, is amazing
    Last edited by Cali512; 09-20-2022 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Phillips had 51% of the snaps. He missed most of the 4th quarter with his injury. Daquon played the rest as did the other backup DTs. Before he got hurt he had 70% of the snaps

The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water! THE END OF ALL DAYS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Phillips will not be playing for at least 2 weeks with that hammy injury.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THE END OF ALL DAYS View Post

Whered you see that? Thats devastating if we lose our best interior lineman

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Your stats backup that Phillips was holding his own as the number one DT vs the strongest RB in the nfl and was amazing with a practice squad DT? Im hoping that you dont think Bryant wasnt the reason Phillips stats were amazing because Phillips definitely helped him more than bryant helped him

Also please for god sakes educate yourself before you talk, Phillips got hurt running with milano during his int

"In the fourth quarter, Buffalo announced that linebacker Matt Milano and defensive tackle Jordan Phillips were both being evaluated for injuries as well and that they would not return."

If you think the game was in doubt when we were up 35-7, then well, you have no faith in our team

I have no clue why you insist on discrediting Phillips, it almost seems like you just dont like him or something, but aside from Von, hes the best player on our DL. Followed by Oliver then Rousseau

Just stop man, be happy we have a dt thats playing like a top 5-10 DT in the nfl and quit sayinf "its just the rotation guys" to discredit how good he is

You claimed it was the rotation, he played the majority of the snaps because he had to, we played the strongest RB in the nfl whos a top 5 RB and he locked down the interior line. It wasnt the rotation monday, we didnt have a rotation, we had 4 DTs active and 2 are practice squad players

This may be your worst take, just give phillips credit and quit with the passive aggressive "yes the ALL played well and the ROTATION, is amazing
    I had a typo....I meant to type that “he was out of the game, while it wasn’t still in doubt”

Of course, his injury proves my observation of him being injury prone. I certainly hope he can play this week.....but hammy injuries have a history of lingering.

In any event, I did not say that he did not “hold his own”....in fact I said....and even BOLDED it so you would not miss it...apparently you did anyway...."Phillips is a great addition to the Bills”

But, as I continued...."but he is NOT “the most important pieces to our pass rush” and the depth and rotation of eight D-lineman is THE key to the Bills success. It’s a TEAM defense victory.”

There is no doubt that what I wrote is 100% accurate.

I am NOT “discrediting” Phillips. Jesus. You obviously do not have the cababilty to comprehend what “discrediting” a player even is. You DO and HAVE repeatedly and ignorantly “discredited” Patrick Mahomes....and then deny the plain reality of what YOU wrote.

In the instance of Phillips, YOU are “discrediting” the rest of the defensive line, the defensive scheme, other critical players and the show contempt and lack of understanding of TEAM play where one player compliments another.

Stop being such a whiney brat because I (or others) do not agree with you 100%, with one of your patented silly and shallow takes.

You have an issue with what the expert Joe B. wrote....take it up with him. He has forgotten more about football than you will ever know.

Last edited by notacon; 09-21-2022 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THE END OF ALL DAYS View Post
    Huge loss for damn sure.

Do you have a link?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Phillips had 51% of the snaps. He missed most of the 4th quarter with his injury. Daquon played the rest as did the other backup DTs. Before he got hurt he had 70% of the snaps
    Too many snaps that's why no Oliver and Settle hurts more than it 1st appears.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jordan had to really be looking forward to this one damn it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Your really bad at this, that wasnt a typo because you clearly were trying to say that phillips wasnt in the game when it mattered. Dude stfu, your not sly, you try to say things in a sneaky way and when called out on it you try and act like you werent implying something

This whole thread you were trying to take subtle jabs at phillips and discredit him.

Btw thanks for being more mature with your posts, you still have an issue with the name calling but your growing up a lot with the stupid ROFL LOL bs

I think you realized how annoying it was when i did it to you

Props on growing up a bit, the namecalling is the next step you should work on to finally be taken seriously around here

The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water! THE END OF ALL DAYS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Huge loss for damn sure.

Do you have a link?
    on BF they have a ortho doc on analyzing injuries and he said from what he saw and from his treating hammy injuries that Phillips will be out a min of 2 weeks
    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I hate the he injured himself on a meaningless (to the outcome) play, just running downfield to escort Milano. SMH.

25. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-22-2022)