Thread: Crowder & Kumerow Illustrate Bills Depth and Dispel Some Zoners Delusions

Thanks
    Thanked 11,698 Times in 7,758 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Crowder & Kumerow Illustrate Bills Depth and Dispel Some Zoners Delusions

All during training camp we kept on hearing how Crowder was barely going to make the team, with one confused thread stating “Im (sic) going to say it now, Crowder isnt (sic) making the team”, that included one the most idiotic posts this year, “guaranteeing” that Crowder would be cut.

Yet, there he is, playing WR on a third of the offensive snaps only 20 behind McKenzie. More importantly, he is the sole punt AND kickoff returner. And doing a very good job at that.

All during training camp we kept on hearing about Kumerow not being a good WR and Hodgins was way better and would make the final roster.

Yet, there he is, not only one of the core special teams players, with 65% of ST snaps, he was THE WR to fill in for Gabe Davis....and doing quite well.

Kumerow has the second highest snap count percentage of any Bills WR, behind only Diggs (65.35%) with his 52.76% offensive snap count. Ahead of Davis’ 45.67% and McKenzie’s 44.88%.

So many posters here were promoting Khalil Shakir as a star and sure to be the returner of choice. Yet, he did did not even dress against the Rams, and got only 11 snaps before “garbage time” in the Titans game. While Kumerow got 45 of a whopping 81.8% of (“pre-garbage” time) snaps.

Of course, anyone who understands history of how McDermott handles young players and how much he values experience, it’s no surprise that Crowder is seen as a reliable vet who knows that he is doing and can be trusted over a raw rookie like Shakir (and James Cook).

It’s no surprise that Kumerow was relied upon to fill-in for Davis....he is a very good blocker and made two very big catches. His presence on the field (as opposed to Davis) did not reduce Diggs’ effectiveness in the least.

Mitch Morse goes down for almost two quarters at the start of the game, and Van Roten fills in without a hitch. Oliver and Settle are out, and Brandon Bryant and C.J. Brewer step right in, with the D-line (with their usual depth and rotation) dominates.

THESE are the reasons why the Bills are so dangerous. As was mentioned late in the game (when the announcers had to fill in because of the blow out) the Bills lead the NFL in number of starts from players they have drafted since 2017....with (if my memory serves) is close to 700.

As the year drones on, rookies like Shakir and Cook will be given the room and opportunity to grow and develop....at a reasonable pace. And because the injury to Tre’ White (and now Dane Jackson) Elam and especially (what seems to be the steal of the Bills draft) 6th round CB Christian Benford are more than holding their own at CB....and will get better as the season and years fly by.

The Bills organization, form top to bottom is STELLAR. As Von Miller paid homage to the “attitude of domination” fueled and supported by a fantastic organization....

Miller went on to say the Bills aren’t content to simply win games.

“I don't know how it was before I got here, but now we pedal to the metal,” he said. “We have an attitude of domination. We're not playing the game to just win the game, we’re playing the game to dominate the game. We've got a team full of killers, and it's led by our quarterback, our head coach, the leadership on this team. From Brandon Beane all the way down to the janitors and the infrastructure of this team, like our cafeteria leaders are just so great. Everybody that helps out with his team from Nate (Breske) and the athletic training staff, to the equipment guys, Eric Ciano. Everybody has their hand in this, and we just want to take it one player at a time.
    Ownership....GM and player personal evaluation system....head coach....coordinators....position coaches....players....vets and youngsters....and as Von highlights....janitors, cafeteria works, athletic training staff and equipment guys.

It takes a village to produce a champion....and the Bills have a very solid village.
    Last edited by notacon; 09-21-2022 at 05:55 AM.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Crowder & Kumerow Illustrate Bills Depth and Dispel Some Zoners Delusions

Kumerow looked pretty good. I will admit, I may have been wrong about him.

Shakir sucked. He looked lost. He should not have been on the field on that key 4th and 1 play. In garbage time he looked awful.

I'll cut him some slack, because he's a rookie and I'm guessing he gets little to no reps with the 1st team all week. He has a long way to go, however.

3. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-21-2022)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cook looks like he's absolutely terrified of being hit.

He had that one nice run in garbage time but looks like he's ready to turtle when anyone comes near him. Needs to put on some muscle and gain confidence.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

5. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-21-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Both Shakir and Cook need to learn how to be a professional football player.

I’ve heard countless ex-players....HOFer’s, Super Bowl winners...very, very good players talk about when they first came into the league and how they were somewhat lost and needed to learn how to be a pro....many times with the help of vets on the team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Cook looks like he's absolutely terrified of being hit.

He had that one nice run in garbage time but looks like he's ready to turtle when anyone comes near him. Needs to put on some muscle and gain confidence.
    100%. He is way to slow to hit the hole. I think that will come with reps, but I wouldn't count on seeing him get many meaningful touches per game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Both Shakir and Cook need to learn how to be a professional football player.

I’ve heard countless ex-players....HOFer’s, Super Bowl winners...very, very good players talk about when they first came into the league and how they were somewhat lost and needed to learn how to be a pro....many times with the help of vets on the team.
    I'm sure it's even harder when you are 3rd, 4th or 5th on the depth chart and you get no first team reps. I'm not making excuses, nor saying they deserve more than they are getting, I'm just saying.

9. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,576 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Kumerow looked pretty good. I will admit, I may have been wrong about him.

Shakir sucked. He looked lost. He should not have been on the field on that key 4th and 1 play. In garbage time he looked awful.

I'll cut him some slack, because he's a rookie and I'm guessing he gets little to no reps with the 1st team all week. He has a long way to go, however.
    Shakir is NOT ready, not even close.

I'm confident he will be but not right now.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Thanked 7,576 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Someone mentioned Cook, he also has a ways to go .... i'm very confident it'll happen for him sooner than it will for Shakir, JMO.

Always

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah was wrong about Kumerow. Happily. He could be a real contributor for them.

13. Post thanked by:

notacon (09-22-2022)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I'm sure it's even harder when you are 3rd, 4th or 5th on the depth chart and you get no first team reps. I'm not making excuses, nor saying they deserve more than they are getting, I'm just saying.
    McDermott makes them earn it. With the Bills having one of the best if not THE best roster in the NFL, it’s very difficult to break through.

The two rookies that have gotten playing time are because of necessity. Benford and Elam. What shows how excellent the Bills are at drafting, is the emergence of Benford as one of the “starting” CB’s.

Yeah....it’s only two games, and they will have a huge test this weekend, but it bodes well for the Bills as the season grinds on.

15. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (09-22-2022)