Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 749

Thread: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

  1. #321
    Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Last Depot
    Posts
    32,550
    Thanks
    9,142
    Thanked 13,909 Times in 7,413 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    124

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    The Sabres have 1 good line in Thompson/Skinner/Tuch.

    Finally, a 2nd has emerged in Cousins/Peterka/Quinn

    Still seeking a 3rd. Despite some points, I wouldn't be surprised if Casey Mits and Victor O are dangled as trade bait. Even strength deficient.

    Tyson Jost has been a good pickup. Saw him in person against Colorado. He's excellent at penalty killing. Very fast skater and has some skills, if given some good linemates to play with. Sticking him with Kyle O ( looks so slow and is probably done after this season) and unskilled Girgensons is doing him no favors.

    Team still has a large issue with pinching in deep and getting caught... giving up an insane amount of 2 on 1 breaks.

    Faceoffs still an issue, plus winning battles in the corners. Coughing up the puck is an unfortunate norn this season.

    Goaltending is not settled. UPL will get time and so far has shown more bad than good. The plan was Rochester but things happen wth injuries. Hoping they get Levi signed soon but still may need another Vet. 41 year old Anderson is just a temporary fallback. Cromrie would have to shine, coming off an injury and most of his past has been in the AHL.

    I'm still bullish long term but the 8 game losing streak tempered many unrealistic expectations. Still enjoy watching and looking for progress. Not in the Spiked camp, with all his message board aliases and doom nonsense. They bottomed out last year and the climb is steeper than most acknowledge.

    There are signs of hope. That kid 2nd line is providing some additional light.
    Last edited by Night Train; 12-05-2022 at 01:45 AM.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

  2. Post thanked by:

    Historian (12-07-2022)

  3. #322
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    53,750
    Thanks
    11,443
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 11,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    129

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    The Sabres have 1 good line in Thompson/Skinner/Tuch.

    Finally, a 2nd has emerged in Cousins/Peterka/Quinn

    Still seeking a 3rd. Despite some points, I wouldn't be surprised if Casey Mits and Victor O are dangled as trade bait. Even strength deficient.

    Tyson Jost has been a good pickup. Saw him in person against Colorado. He's excellent at penalty killing. Very fast skater and has some skills, if given some good linemates to play with. Sticking him with Kyle O ( looks so slow and is probably done after this season) and unskilled Girgensons is doing him no favors.

    Team still has a large issue with pinching in deep and getting caught... giving up an insane amount of 2 on 1 breaks.

    Faceoffs still an issue, plus winning battles in the corners. Coughing up the puck is an unfortunate norn this season.

    Goaltending is not settled. UPL will get time and so far has shown more bad than good. The plan was Rochester but things happen wth injuries. Hoping they get Levi signed soon but still may need another Vet. 41 year old Anderson is just a temporary fallback. Cromrie would have to shine, coming off an injury and most of his past has been in the AHL.

    I'm still bullish long term but the 8 game losing streak tempered many unrealistic expectations. Still enjoy watching and looking for progress. Not in the Spiked camp, with all his message board aliases and doom nonsense. They bottomed out last year and the climb is steeper than most acknowledge.

    There are signs of hope. That kid 2nd line is providing some additional light.
    The UPL plan was roch until an inevitable goalie injury. This was exactly the plan.

    UPL has been bad, but I can't **** on him after a win last night

    This is a team in progress, and the progress is clearly there.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

  4. #323
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    98,198
    Thanks
    14,315
    Thanked 24,988 Times in 12,920 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    277

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    The UPL plan was roch until an inevitable goalie injury. This was exactly the plan.

    UPL has been bad, but I can't **** on him after a win last night

    This is a team in progress, and the progress is clearly there.
    I know the Sabres have a good young goalie prospect in Levi, and I seem to remember hearing they had another one too but it's escaping me at the moment.

    The problem is that the plan appears to be that UPL holds down the fort until the prospects are ready, but unfortunately he just doesn't seem up to the task. The Sabres are going to need to find a stopgap that's better than UPL.

    That being said, overall I think the team is headed in the right direction. While they most likely aren't good enough to make the playoffs and definitely not good enough to win anything if they do, they're competitive and fun to watch for the first time in a long time.

  5. #324
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    53,750
    Thanks
    11,443
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 11,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    129

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I know the Sabres have a good young goalie prospect in Levi, and I seem to remember hearing they had another one too but it's escaping me at the moment.

    The problem is that the plan appears to be that UPL holds down the fort until the prospects are ready, but unfortunately he just doesn't seem up to the task. The Sabres are going to need to find a stopgap that's better than UPL.

    That being said, overall I think the team is headed in the right direction. While they most likely aren't good enough to make the playoffs and definitely not good enough to win anything if they do, they're competitive and fun to watch for the first time in a long time.
    I imagine they will. I don't think the sabres have any intentions of finding a temporary fix until next season

  6. #325
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    98,198
    Thanks
    14,315
    Thanked 24,988 Times in 12,920 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    277

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    I imagine they will. I don't think the sabres have any intentions of finding a temporary fix until next season
    Probably isn't worth it at the moment. The only way the Sabres could get an improvement now would be by trading away someone with talent, which means the trade would likely end up being neutral, and the team still won't make the playoffs. It makes sense to just ride UPL now and hope that he beats the odds and actually develops into a starter. If (more likely, when) he doesn't, find a stopgap in FA.

  7. #326
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47,336
    Thanks
    5,038
    Thanked 6,339 Times in 5,052 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    140

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Those 3 give the Sabres a viable 2nd line. The kid line.
    So onward and upward eventually!
    “Want me to be okay with losing? Nah.”
    “Want me to be okay with our level of play when it’s not up to the standard? Nah.”
    “It’s easy to criticize my reaction more than the result.”

  8. #327
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    53,750
    Thanks
    11,443
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 11,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    129

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Probably isn't worth it at the moment. The only way the Sabres could get an improvement now would be by trading away someone with talent, which means the trade would likely end up being neutral, and the team still won't make the playoffs. It makes sense to just ride UPL now and hope that he beats the odds and actually develops into a starter. If (more likely, when) he doesn't, find a stopgap in FA.
    I think the sabres hope to be in the top 10 of this draft, I think. It's a mega deep draft. Deeper than 15

  9. #328
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    8,081
    Thanked 6,062 Times in 4,525 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    52

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    I think the sabres hope to be in the top 10 of this draft, I think. It's a mega deep draft. Deeper than 15
    Honestly, I'm kinda sick of Buffalo seemingly always drafting in the top 10 year in and year out.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

    "I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

  10. Post thanked by:

    JATMtheJATM (12-05-2022)

  11. #329
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    53,750
    Thanks
    11,443
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 11,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    129

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Honestly, I'm kinda sick of Buffalo seemingly always drafting in the top 10 year in and year out.
    Same. But I suppose if you arent ready, this is the second best option. The sabres are a much improved team, heading in the right direction. I won't complain

  12. #330
    Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Last Depot
    Posts
    32,550
    Thanks
    9,142
    Thanked 13,909 Times in 7,413 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    124

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    +/-

    Better play has most all forwards in the positve. It's been a long time for most being on the ice for more goals scored than allowing.

    2 are not

    Victor O - minus 8
    Casey Mits - minus 11

    Every time I see them out there in even strength situations, I fear the other team has a huge advantage.

    Thus my hope they are offered up for a trade for better talent. Or to make room for some promising Rochester players like Murray, Kulich, Biro.. etc.

  13. Post thanked by:

    Historian (12-07-2022)

  14. #331
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    53,750
    Thanks
    11,443
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 11,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    129

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    +/-

    Better play has most all forwards in the positve. It's been a long time for most being on the ice for more goals scored than allowing.

    2 are not

    Victor O - minus 8
    Casey Mits - minus 11

    Every time I see them out there in even strength situations, I fear the other team has a huge advantage.

    Thus my hope they are offered up for a trade for better talent. Or to make room for some promising Rochester players like Murray, Kulich, Biro.. etc.
    It really looks like the sabres have an almost set top 6 or even 9. It's just getting rid of the guys like Mitts and VO and Girgs.

    This team is gonna be dangerous. Soon.

  15. #332
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    98,198
    Thanks
    14,315
    Thanked 24,988 Times in 12,920 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    277

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    +/-

    Better play has most all forwards in the positve. It's been a long time for most being on the ice for more goals scored than allowing.

    2 are not

    Victor O - minus 8
    Casey Mits - minus 11

    Every time I see them out there in even strength situations, I fear the other team has a huge advantage.

    Thus my hope they are offered up for a trade for better talent. Or to make room for some promising Rochester players like Murray, Kulich, Biro.. etc.
    One problem though: Mits has become a 1 way player. Olafsson is essentially a PP specialist. Why would anyone trade for them?

  16. #333
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    53,750
    Thanks
    11,443
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 11,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    129

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    One problem though: Mits has become a 1 way player. Olafsson is essentially a PP specialist. Why would anyone trade for them?
    The short answer it depth. Some teams still look at the stats. CM is on pace for 45 points, which a team would definitely take if they lack secondary scoring. The issue is we see CM and VO every night. Other teams don't. Some teams dont look at analytics deeply. That's how the Sabres fleeced the Flyers in the Risto trade

    In short, the biggest reason to move them is to clear a log jam for the younger kids who may be part of the future. The return for CM or VO is unlikely to be big unless a team sees something in them like Philadelphia did in Risto. And that's not the norm.

    But I do think they hold SOME value, it's just going to have to wait for a few months while teams figure out what they need at the deadline

  17. #334
    My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    St. John, USVI
    Posts
    15,272
    Thanks
    2,552
    Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,939 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    55

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Dahlin is currently tied with Erik Karlsson among D with 1.21 P/GP

  18. #335
    2022 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    56,599
    Thanks
    29,368
    Thanked 25,678 Times in 13,693 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    193

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    +/-

    Better play has most all forwards in the positve. It's been a long time for most being on the ice for more goals scored than allowing.

    2 are not

    Victor O - minus 8
    Casey Mits - minus 11

    Every time I see them out there in even strength situations, I fear the other team has a huge advantage.

    Thus my hope they are offered up for a trade for better talent. Or to make room for some promising Rochester players like Murray, Kulich, Biro.. etc.
    I think Middlestadt flat out stinks...nobody would want him.

    Olaffson has flashes, but...

    whatever happened to sending a player down to the minors who isn't cutting it?

  19. #336
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    53,750
    Thanks
    11,443
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 11,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    129

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I think Middlestadt flat out stinks...nobody would want him.

    Olaffson has flashes, but...

    whatever happened to sending a player down to the minors who isn't cutting it?
    Waivers and the mindset of not losing an asset for nothing

  20. #337
    Registered User Novacane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Dade City, FL
    Posts
    38,701
    Thanks
    12,253
    Thanked 11,198 Times in 6,468 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    120

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Fast 4-0 lead. Tage may net 50 this season.

  21. #338
    Legendary Zoner Woodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47,336
    Thanks
    5,038
    Thanked 6,339 Times in 5,052 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    140

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    5-0 love it!!!!

  22. #339
    Registered User Novacane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Dade City, FL
    Posts
    38,701
    Thanks
    12,253
    Thanked 11,198 Times in 6,468 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    120

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    First period hat trick for Tage! 19 goals already!

  23. #340
    Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Last Depot
    Posts
    32,550
    Thanks
    9,142
    Thanked 13,909 Times in 7,413 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    124

    Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

    Tage has a hat trick 12:33 into the 1st period.

    5-0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •