X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

3rd and 22 -- the play call reminded me 13 seconds again

I was screaming blitz from my couch before the play. Don't give Tua time to throw deep. We have secondary entirely backups. Keep backs a few yards pass the 1st down marker and make sure the ball in front of them and make a tackle. Our blitz is getting thru with 5. It's not Mahomes back there who can dodge people.

The call rivals the 13 seconds in my mind. I'm starting to question this coaching staff having the capacity to make right decisions at critical time in close games. Literally one play can change the outcome. And we all know, there is no next week like we have now in the playoff.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: 3rd and 22 -- the play call reminded me 13 seconds again

Terrible call. At least rush 4

Comment

• kingJofNYC
      • Sep 2009

So you want to leave our corners, I mean wtf is Ingram, 1 v 1 by blitzing instead?

Not sure about that, seems like a good way to get wrecked too. DL didn't do much today, but Jaquan got his ass twisted on that long grab, nothing you can do, mistakes happen. Just because you call a blitz doesn't mean it's coming to hit.

Comment

• sukie
        Seriously?
        • Sep 2012

Rush 4. 3 is prevent

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

I don't mind playing coverage, but for the love of Christ, playing coverage means COVER. They didn't cover anything

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
            So you want to leave our corners, I mean wtf is Ingram, 1 v 1 by blitzing instead?

Not sure about that, seems like a good way to get wrecked too. DL didn't do much today, but Jaquan got his ass twisted on that long grab, nothing you can do, mistakes happen. Just because you call a blitz doesn't mean it's coming to hit.
            The corners wouldn't have been in man, they still would have run a zone shell.

The big talk with what they did with the defensive line this off-season was all about getting pressure with four, and then when the game is on the line they go ultra-conservative and self-neuter their own strength.

It is pretty similar to 13 seconds, and how this staff handles clutch situations.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• swiper
              • Sep 2010

Umm. Blitz the linebacker and still run the zone?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Earlier in the week we were all happy that we could get pressure on the QB without blitzing.

Now that we ran into an obstacle there, Miller didn't have a good game and Phillips being hurt, we're going to complain we don't blitz enough?

It's one week. Yesterday was a bad day up front. It happens.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Tua is a rhythm thrower. I think NFL film study said it and NE defensive players said it as well. It's why taking his first read away is so important. You see what he can do in their 2nd TD drive yesterday. In that scenario, you want him to get the ball out quick instead of waiting for a long developing play - he is a smart player, give him credit on that. When you rush 3, he knew he had time. I wanted a blitz because I think their O-Line isn't good at picking it up and Tua is already bitten by a blitz one play before. I feel it's more likely that he gets rid of the ball quick when he sees a blitz coming.

Hindsight is 20-20. I think the Dolphins sent out 3 targets and left 7 to protect on that play. If we would send 5 to rush, a good chance Tua would have to get rid of the ball sooner than what happened; we would have 7 back there to cover - if it is 3 deep, then likely it is a matter if we can tackle the low guy (Hill in this case) before he gets to the 1st down marker.
                  Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-26-2022, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• imbondz
                    Democrats are people too
                    • Jan 2003

I agree 100% rush but this play isn’t why we lost. Our O let us down.
                    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      The corners wouldn't have been in man, they still would have run a zone shell.

The big talk with what they did with the defensive line this off-season was all about getting pressure with four, and then when the game is on the line they go ultra-conservative and self-neuter their own strength.

It is pretty similar to 13 seconds, and how this staff handles clutch situations.
                      McFrazier has always been generous with 3rd and longs. There was a playoff game a couple years back where it was something like 3rd and 15 and the lb's were even 18 yards back. The predictable happened.

Have to be able to stop a 3rd and 22, have to be able to gain 1 yard in 2 tries.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                        I was screaming blitz from my couch before the play. Don't give Tua time to throw deep.
                        I was screaming don't let him breath blitz blitz blitz send 6.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                          Earlier in the week we were all happy that we could get pressure on the QB without blitzing.

Now that we ran into an obstacle there, Miller didn't have a good game and Phillips being hurt, we're going to complain we don't blitz enough?

It's one week. Yesterday was a bad day up front. It happens.
                          I don't think they should have blitzed. They should have stuck with four rushers instead of cowering back into coverage and only sending three.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            I don't think they should have blitzed. They should have stuck with four rushers instead of cowering back into coverage and only sending three.
                            It never works well when we cower back into coverage, even with our starters. This should have been a lesson learned 3 years ago.

Comment

• jamze132
                              • Jun 2003

Worst call of the day comes from Frazier by dropping into a prevent. Even if we had a healthy backfield, I’d be hesitant considering who their QB is. That stupid defensive call still pisses me off today. I hate the prevent. The only thing your old king is preventing your defense from looking good.

Comment

Working...
                              X